“Silver Seas Hotel - Ocho Rios”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #23 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Although the hotel could use a facelift.. it was very welcoming and tranquil. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We seemed to have the whole hotel for ourselves when we were there for the 3 days. The only complaint I have is that the pillows were lumpy and old. Beautiful views from the rooms and pool area. You could definitely imagine what a glorious place this was in it's heyday. We would return there on our next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank wincikabi

Reviewed July 3, 2012

This hotel is very cosy, old fashioned (in a good way). It is not luxury but good with budget. Hotel is built on the 50s and some parts (surfaces) could need a little maintenance but it still was very cosy and had special kind of athmophere. We liked this hotel the best of all the 6 hotels we stayed on Jamaica. Pricing met quality much better than for example in Negril or MoBay. Rooms are big and nice and all balconies had direct sea view. Personnel nice and kind. Ok breakfast. One night our friends wanted to change for their last night from their crappy hotel to our hotel but the hotel was fully booked. Personnel let them stay free in our room. That was very nice. We did wonder when they said that the hotel was fully booked but we didn't see there that many people... maybe they were at town. If u want snorkling, u could even swim from the boardwalk to the reef. The boardwalk is not in great condition but if you are for example a true Finn,u dont mind that, u just go an swim. All the big boats that take 60 dollars for snorkling trips, came to the reef just outside our window so that was the big snorkling place. In many hotels on Jamaica u have to be very careful with if extra service fees or tax is or is not included to the room price but here was no problem. All in all -we liked and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TripAnna_71
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Silver Seas Hotel is the perfect vacation destination for the no-frills traveler who seeks simplicity, tranquility and accessibility to the finest snorkeling in Jamaica. A rustic, grass-roots hotel located directly on the ocean, just off of Main St, in the heart of Ocho Rios. The views from every room are the finest; the service embodies the Jamaican adage of "no problem". Rooms are very large, amenities very basic. The Silver Seas Hotel is one of the most oldest and historic in the area. Its old world Jamaican charm cleanses and rejuvenates. By day, lounge around the oceanfront pool, by night fall asleep to the rhythmic reggae beat….

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank John S
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I found the hotel accomadation to be to a high standard!! The staff were wonderful and due to ill health I had to cut my holiday short and they were considerate enough to reimburse me for the time not spent there. Merverne the lady who deals with accounts went all out and also another young lady whose name I dont recall gave me excellent service. Beautiful surroundings and the few from my first floor room WOW!!! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat!!! You have the choice whether you eat there or take advantage of the wide variety of places that you can eat at for a mimimal cost. Perfect if you want somewhere to sleep and enjoy a beautiful surrounding with staff who put the guest first.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a first floor ocean view room!!! What a beautiful sight to see when you wake.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mags B
Reviewed April 8, 2012

If you are looking for luxury, the Silver Seas is not for you. It is perfect, however, for seasoned travelers on a budget. The hotel sits in the thick of Ocho Rios; at the bottom of a gravel lane. At night, the lane is dimly lit which may be intimidating to the faint of heart. We never encountered any problems, but as true anywhere in the world, if you act like a mark chances are you'll become one.

The staff at the Silver Seas was extremely welcoming and eager to satisfy our requests. The large rooms, albeit spartan, are clean with plenty of closet space and drawers. All rooms have a balcony too, I believe. Do not look for amenities like in-room movies, internet access, blow dryers, mini fridges or coffeemakers. If you need an iron for your clothes, just ask to borrow one at the front desk. Need internet access? Support the local internet cafe on the main road. We purchased a bucket in town and filled it with ice, waters and Red Stripe before heading out each day. Problems solved! The housekeepers are the two sweetest, elderly women you will ever meet. They clean the room and wash your towels every day. Be sure to tip them well. They work hard!

Yes, the Silver Seas needs some sprucing up, but by no means is the hotel unclean or crumbling around your ears as some people have harshly described. Oh and I never caught a whiff of anything musty. Trust me when I tell you I have a sensitive nose. The Silver Seas is a tidy, quiet place to rest your head, stow your things and shower while on a serious budget. Nothing tripped my "eww" or "danger" triggers during the four days we were there. It reminded me of times I spent with my country cousins. Their home wasn't the newest or the greatest, but it was neat and comfortable.

There is no beach per se, but there is a small "pier" where you can sun yourself and look at the water. Beaches are close by though. You have no reason to miss out.

The hotel didn't have any nightly entertainment that I noticed, but there's plenty of nightlife - local clubs, pubs and the obligatory Margaritaville within walking distance.

So to sum up, give the Silver Seas a chance. It was definitely worthy of the one we gave it and we'd have no issue staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chula M
Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here for 1 night and im glad it was only for 1 night. Large room with 2 double beds it was clean but smelt very musty. For the price i paid cant complain but not again, i arrived when it was dark and the back road i drove onto to get there was pitch black i was thinking if i was on my own walking i would most likely sprint down that road it was too dark! In all its an ok place to stay just not for me. central location and a decent price.

Room Tip: cant comment on the childrens activites as i checked out in the morning
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank cherezz
Reviewed March 15, 2012

My partner and I stayed here for 4 days during the month of March. The only good thing about this place is the beach out the front where you can swim and snorkel. We saw some lovely fish and other sea creatures and we bought our own snorkel equipment with us. Other than this, the hotel is extremely run-down and old. It is in major need of upgrading. You cannot eat at the restaurant as they don't have 90% of the things on the menu.

Our towels had holes in them and our shower leaked all the time.

There are local resident houses that are right next to the hotel rooms and they play extremely loud music at all hours of the day.

This place could be GREAT with some love and care, but until then, I do not recommend staying there.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple