“Friendly, decayed splendour with spectacular waterfrontage”

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendly, decayed splendour with spectacular waterfrontage”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I stayed jsut the one night in the most enormous room - more like a suite than a double - two huge double beds and total space bigger than some aprtments. The balcony was a delight to sit on and although it rained, I really enjoyed the relaxation it gave me after a week and a half of hard work. Be prepared for a sense of time gone by, but (cockroach apart - only one in the shower, dispatched very quickly) it was clean and well presented. I don't mind not having all the mod cons. Staff were very friendly and Paulette v helpful with the internet connection (which can be up and down!). Forewarned is forearmed - don't go the Siver Seas if you warre expecting and wanting the latest in modern hotels, but if you want a bit of old fashioned charm, it's great vfm.

Room Tip: My huge room was the first at the top of the stais
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Looking for an antidote to a week's work in Kingston I found Silver Seas online and booked a return on the Knutsford Express and a single night in Ocho Rios. What a contrast. For USD65 I got a cavernous room, a balcony looking out over the bay, two double beds, a huge cockroach in the shower, no hot water, threadbare greying (but clean) towels, the deafening noise of whistling frogs all night long, and a couple of dozen insect bites. Priceless!

The Marriot Marquis it's not, thank goodness. But the fish in escaveitched sauce for breakfast was easily as good as anything I had in Kingston. More importantly, staying at the Silver Seas was the most peaceful and sublime few hours we had had for a fortnight in the Caribbean. Go prepared and say 'hello' to the lovely Paulette for us.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank EndersMH
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I would like to suggest that the owners think long and hard to do the necessary renovations to this beautiful gem!

I would also like to add that putting iron board, maybe a small fridge, an alarm clock with radio and how could I forget a phone in the rooms would really help and go a long way!

Nevertheless, the views are breathtaking and the affordability is superb! Do not let this gem die!

• Stayed May 2011
Reviewed June 1, 2011

Spent 4 days and night here with my girlfriend. The room we stayed in was very big and spacious! The ocean view from our Balcony was to die for! Very beautiful!

Big up to Ivan who was very friendly and was accommodating to anything you asked him for! He was very helpful! Also big up to Devon @ the front desk and Paulette and the rest of the crew. Also special thanks to Clive the security person who made us feel safe! Also thanks to the Juta operators who hanged out with us sometimes and chit chat with us lol. You know who you are.

It was truly an experience staying here! Lots of memories.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank hotstepper4u
new york
Reviewed May 31, 2011

well i must say that this hotel is horrible not even for free I will stay there again.Went for memorial weekend and let me tell you...The light went off and there were no back up generator. we were in the dark for 2 hours. I feel very unsafe. Everuything about the hotel was nasty after day one we went to another hote. I did some research with the locals and was informed that the hotel has seen better days. It is owne by a couple however th husband died and ever since then the hotel quality is not like before. In my opinion they should just close it as it is an embarrament. ...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank des74

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Well to start, i stayed at this hotel mabe 7yrs ago and it was beautiful, staff were very friendly and accomodating. After experiencing this on my last trip there, i decided to take my friends there because we were attending a wedding in Ocho Rios and i decided this would be the spot to stay. I remembered that wonderful view of the ocean and the peace and tranquility i enjoyed. Anyway, we decided to check out the hotel on the web and the pics were the same as before, rooms looked really nice and the view was to die for. We booked the the hotel and off we went to Jamaica.

When we arrived at the hotel front entrance i was amazed at how different everything looked, i said to myself, this is not going to be good. Anyway, we entered the lobby of the hotel and i was very surprised at the condition of the hotel. The guy at the front desk to begin with was not very pleasant in his response when we asked him about the pics on the web, we were totally fooled by the pics on the web because the hotel looked nothing like we saw on the internet or from my recolection of staying there. To begin, the rooms that the pics on the web entales, that side was shut down we were told, and they were using another side. Anyway, we asked to see the rooms on the other side, he called the so called security to show us the rooms we would be staying in. When we went to the room it was smelly and there were no towels in the bathroom, the only good thing was the view looking into the ocean, it was beautiful. The surrounding looked pretty unsecure, i AM FROM JAMAICA, and i was scared just being there. To put everything in perspective, the hotel looked nothing like the pictures that are shown on the internet. We decided that this wasn't the place for us so we told the so call personell at the front desk we were leaving because we were BAMBOOZED!!!!...At that point he started to get nasty with us, his response was that he wasn't in charge of marketing the hotel and why are we pissing him off. I felt so embarassed because i was the one who recommended the place to my friends. Anyway we left and found a better place called Sea Palms in Tower Isle just 10-15 min away. We loved it there!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Genius157
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2011

After reading all these reviews i was quite sceptic to stay in this hotel. But I loved it! The room was spacious and clean, hot water shower, TV, beautiful view and large balcony. The location is good, downtown but close to market and main restaurants. In front of the hotel is beautiful coral reef and all those tourist boats are coming snorkeling right here. If you want some privacy and had enough of touristy all incl. hotels this is right budget choice.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo