“First time to Jamaica was on the TO DO list.”

Dunn's River Falls and Park
Ranked #1 of 70 things to do in Ocho Rios
Reviewed August 22, 2017

We hit this place first thing in the morning about 8:30 am - there was no line up at all. I would recommend this as your first stop of the day.

We went with Kemar Smile of Inside Tours Jamaica. A few tips he gave us in advance do not take anything from anyone - there is nothing free in Jamaica and when leaving the Falls to parking lot do not stop at the vendors just keep walking.

We only went here to climb up the Falls. It looks like a nice park - it only cost $20 for adults and that gave you admission for the day.

We went right down to the Falls entrance where we were hooked up with a Guide and Videographer. They took our group down to the ocean front where we started our venture up the Falls.

He had the whole group hold hands to go up - which we found awkward and a bit unstable. Our family bailed out on the line concept pretty quickly and just helped ourselves. Our kids 11 and 8 were able to navigate up on their own. At points in time it was a bit slow because we had people who were not quite as mobile as us. Additionally they would stop the whole group to take pictures. A couple of families broke off and started to venture up on their own which you can do if you like. We stayed with the group but kind of started to do our own thing.

It took us about an hour to do the climb up. We really enjoyed it.

I would say though if you are not in decent physical shape or have mobility or balance issues this is NOT the place for you. The rocks can be slippery and there are spots where you need to be able to pull yourself up. If you have limited upper body strength you will have a tough time here.

Our 8 year old son is on the small side and I would say kids much smaller or younger might have a tough go - or as parents you will spend all your time lifting/carrying/pulling them up - so maybe not a fun family time. Our son is quite strong and athletic so despite being small he was able to get himself up.

Once done we gave the guide a tip - he did a good job. We then exited the park through the vendor village - we just said no thanks to those who asked - plus having Kemar with us - I think they knew we were there to do the Falls only.

A good fun time for us. It took about 90 minutes. We did not purchase the picture cd which cost $40.

2  Thank liney2
Write a ReviewReviews (16,812)
All reviews
in 219 reviews
"video"
in 1,635 reviews

Reviewed August 22, 2017

Upon arrival they send you into the park with no instructions. They tell you to walk down towards the guide station. You get there they assign you a guide and then tell you to go get a locker which you need to pay $10 US dollars for. (you get $3 back after you return key and receipt) Glad I brought money cause I wasn't aware of this. Anyway after getting ready you go in a group with whoever happened to have arrived at the same time as you. There were about 12 of us in our group. Our guide was really good. He helped us along the way and the videographer was entertaining as you are navigating the falls.

Ok back to the excursion, so you have to walk down a bunch of steps and when you get down you are at a beautiful beach. You are told to hold hands and make a chain and not let go unless you're told to. You start walking into the falls and there are many areas that have dips that you can't see. It can be slippery in some areas and you need to be very careful. There is an area where you can sit down and be pushed down a small slide. I opted out of that part. The whole way the video guy is taking videos and they will also use your camera or device to take pictures for you which is nice.

Please be aware, you really need to wear water shoes on this excursion. When stepping into the "pools' there are tiny rocks, and beware they will get in your shoes no matter what. It was really fun and a workout which I enjoyed.

This is what I didn't like. When you finish the climb the guide makes sure to let you know to go back to your locker to get money for a tip. I was planning on tipping him anyway, but I just hate when I'm asked for a tip. The videographer tries to pressure you into buying the video. We told him that nobody uses DVD's anymore and that if he put the video on flash drives he would sell many more. He didn't like that suggestion at all he sucked his teeth and said "no man, I sell 3 already" we said "ok just a suggestion you could sell many more" he walked away. It was $40 for a DVD of only halfway up the falls because he stops recording halfway up and goes back down to edit the video. We had guide number 18 I forgot his name but they call him bigfoot. He was good.

BEWARE on the way out!!! The rastafarian market place is such a trap. I'm so mad that I got pulled in. I blame my friend who was looking for "tea." So this is what they so and say they place a souvenir which is really nice made out of wood or something and say "here take this gift, everyone gets one" then they look at your wrist band and notice what hotel you're staying in and say "I know you, I'm the bartender from whatever resort you're staying in. & you not really paying attention go ok the they tell you come into my shop just take a look. The one souvenir that they placed in your hand they have already carved your name on it all the while talking to you and then say "ok that one is free for you but the next one is $20, such a scam. Don't fall for it the way I did. I'm so mad that I fell for it. because I bought the one love statues and as I walked out of there because he was trying to get me to buy more my friend goes in and sees this two heart carved out of wood I guess and it was huge. She told me the guy wanted $40 and that she told him she only had $15 and he took it. Boy was I pissed to hear that. As you're walking out trying to find your way out of the market to the parking lot the vendors are telling you to go the wrong way (some of them not all) just so you stay inside and buy more items. And they all run that same line "here take this everyone gets one" NOT TRUE, that's so you buy something. Nothing is free. I knew this going in to the first place I knew I wasn't getting the one love statues for free but I got suckered, whatever it won't happen again.

I heard there is a full day tour where you are brought to the falls by boat and are given food and drink. We did not book that one. It probably would have been more worth it.

Reviewed August 21, 2017

I wanted to go just to try it, it is like a cattle market rushed in and rushed back out again. You need to be very careful as you can slip and give yourself a nasty cut as the water is very cloudy in bits and you can not see your footing. I can say I done it but would not go back waste of money. Again everyone has their hand out for a tip do not know why as you can do this on your own you do not need a guide for them to show up the stones and take pictures which you can do yourself. Be careful when leaving I got separated from my partner leaving and this person gave me turtles to which I kept saying no I do not want them he followed me back to where my bus was and I told him I had no money as one of the people on the bus could see I was getting a bit anxious so he came off the bus with me and said she has already told she had no money and did not want them he soon left was not a nice experience.
There is other places to go which involves water which I was told was more relaxing I wish I had done that instead of here. I would not go back full stop.

1  Thank Kas101
Reviewed August 21, 2017 via mobile

You will never find this sort of thing in the USA, from a safety perspective. If you are careful and mindful of where you step, it's fun.

I was looking for answers before going to the Falls, and couldn't get a straight answer, so here goes.

The following is required
1. You should be in relatively good shape with no leg or back problems
2. You must wear water shoes (no flip flops or slides) - that helps with the slippery areas and provides protection
3. You CANNOT BRING ANYTHING NOT WATERPROOF WITH YOU UP THE FALLS. This means electronics, etc. Put your stuff in a locker. Period.

We had fun. It was sort of dangerous, but thrilling and I am glad we did it. There are also other things to do in the park. It was a fun happy place but be aware at the end, as you exit, the craft vendors are VERY AGGRESSIVE. It became really annoying.

2  Thank Atticus2012