“a lifetime memory”

and up
Dunn's River Falls Adventure Tour
Ranked #1 of 32 things to do in Ocho Rios
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I would never have believed I could do this, but I did. When I went, all I knew was it was a waterfall and you got wet. I thought we'd just stand next to it and take pictures and be done. Not at all! You go down to the beach level and then you get IN THE WATER and make your way up the falls! In one place, you can slide down a rock and get totally dunked. In another, you are asked to fall BACKWARDS into the water (but you don't have to). The guides are cautious and effusive and make you believe you can do this safely and have fun. From what I saw, they were right. I loved it! Don't take anything that you care about getting wet. Stash some cash in your bathing suit to buy photos afterwards. Definitely take swim shoes -- you will want them for the rocks. There's a locker, but if you leave valuables in the car or bus, you won't have to hike BACK DOWN to the bottom to retrieve your belongings. These are all things I din't know but wish I had.

2  Thank janebeard
Write a ReviewReviews (17,283)
All reviews
in 235 reviews
"video"
in 1,749 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

So glad we managed to get to the top without hurting ourselves, as a person who does not like heights I have to say I would not have tried to climb up had I know how scared I would be. I would not want to have to write a risk assessment on it.....
We did not like the way the guide was asking for a tip before we had even seen the falls and even followed everyone to the lockers and stood until he gained his tip which was less than he would have been given by us had he not been so pushy.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We went there as a group of 28 people during our carnival cruise. From the beginning, it was exuberantly priced rip off. I had 6 people in wheelchairs that were not going to climb the falls or visit the beaches but asked to pay $20.00 per person as park entrance fees. Once we got in, the shoe rental was a process. Bargained with the lady for 5 bucks each since we had over 20 climbers and that worked out after some negotiations. Worst part began now when we stood in the line for almost an hour. at first, a guide brings in a group of 20 some visitors saying they needed to go to the locker, few minutes later another nasty guide comes with 15 asian tourists saying they had to use the bathroom and by the time third one came we realized that these were excuses used by local guides to cut in front of you. After I put up a huge fuss about it, we actually challenged and blocked three other guides with their 60 plus travelers and requested that they stand in line like rest of us. The park guy came and tried intimidation tactics but the angry crowd made it clear that this was not acceptable. Finally, when he realized that this wasn't working- he asked me "how many in your party ", I said 22 and all the people around us. He basically said that the line was to hire a guide and we could go on our own from the right (mind you there is no instruction of direction posted anywhere and they were forcing people to stand in these long lines and rush crowd. Needless to say! They were extremely mad and nasty, even attempting to shove us while our team was climbing the falls. I would request that Jamaica department of tourism looks into this problem if they want to make money from tourism industry. They should also post clear instructions about self hike vs hiring a guide and have clear lines like Disney or any other parks in civilized country. We enjoyed the falls but anyone going there, don't waste time standing in long lines because it's most likely result of uncivilized, unacceptable behaviors by these local tour guides. Tell them you have to get something from the locker or use bathroom or go to the beach area- all which are accessible from bottom of falls allowing you to cut the lines like rest if their guided tours.
Pathetic loser guides at Dunn Falls

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Dunn's River Beach is right off Dunn's River Falls which actually runs under the main road. The beach has nice sand and warm turquoise water that's nice to snorkel, and it is open to the public. Avoid it when the cruise ships are in port since it becomes crowded. Making matters worse, the beach where all the groups waiting to climb the falls meet, so there is always a lot of yelling and commotion.