“Fun day at Dunn river falls”

Dunn's River Falls and Park
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Ocho Rios
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fun day at Dunn river falls”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a lot of fun at Dunn River Falls but unfortunately we were there the same day as 6 cruise ships and the place was packed. We waited a long time for a guide. There were so many people we got separated from our group a couple of times. I would NOT recommend this for families with small children. The current is too swift and some of the steps from rock to rock were way too big for a little one. There were several small children in our group that had to be carried out by photographers and guides. It was so busy that we were very late for our bus - but we only had the one activity and he waited for us. I was kind of grateful we were late and rushed by the maze of street vendors. We didn't buy the pictures as we had our own waterproof camera. I didn't like that our guide outright asked for a tip as we excited the falls. I would definately go back on a day that wasn't so packed and rushed.

1 Thank Karen B

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Beautiful and Exciting”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We did the Dunns River Falls and Green Grotto Caves Excursion through Royal Caribbean on our cruise this spring break. We did the climb with our 7yo daughter and 10yo son… they were both pretty nervous in the areas that have really fast flowing water but we completed the whole thing and were really proud ourselves. The falls themselves are beautiful, the guides were friendly, competent and fun, and we really enjoyed the climbing adventure. We bought the video for $40 and were pretty happy with it.

Definitely wear water shoes (although the rocks are well scraped and free of slippery algae) and be prepared to get 100% soaked on the climb. You’ll need to have your hands free and won’t want to have a backpack or anything on you that isn’t waterproof. Be prepared for huge crowds and a strong sales push for photos, video and tips. There were also aggressive sales people in the market by the falls, but they left us alone when we said that we didn’t have any cash. If you are, however, looking for Jamaica souvenirs it looked like they had a good selection. We had a nice jerk chicken lunch there that was reasonably priced and they take American dollars everywhere.

1 Thank LynneV15
Nashville, Tennessee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice Trip - Worth doing.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Nice trip and worth doing while in Jamaica. Beautiful falls and not too difficult to go up. There were lots of poeple having lots of fun making their way up the falls. Don't be afraid to try it. Need water shoes for sure. Guides were nice. They are not shy about asking for tips but were some of the nicer people we met while in Jamaica.

Visited April 2013
Wyoming, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Commercial Chain Gang, mean guides if you are against chain option...”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I reviewed about Dunns before I went to Dunns. I already know about the human chain process but reviewed it is not mandatory. I did try to go on our own, me, my son & husband. We were there about 8:30, 9:00 am in the morning on Tuesday April 2nd, 2013. No ships were there except one other Catamerin from Sandels and our boat of 12 people. I couldn't imagine a ship being there as well, it would have been totally packed when it was already packed this early in the morning already. So, when I tried going on our own, one guide treated me rudely and shunned me and said to a tourist in front of me, she has no fun and went on ranting stuff I couldnt understand. I did ask them for a private guide for the three of us first and they wouldn't do it. As I tried by ourselves, everytime I tried to climb, the guides acted like we were invisible and cut us off, letting a trail of like 15 to 20 people in front of us. It was chain after chain and they don't let you squeeze between, you have to fight to get through. I was basically forced to try to get into a chain and that didnt work out well, they were already mad I wanted to go on my own. The whole way up was awful because once they got to the end of the chain I jumped into, they stopped helping at me. You do not get to experience the falls, you experience the commercialized climb. If you could truely climb on your own and enjoy each fall, it would be nice. What you get here is entertainment of guides and being in a human chain walking up wet rocks and seeing water falls in a dash. The nature and beauty is stolen by the guides. You would think the falls is huge, but to me is was not or maybe its the fact you move so fast up the falls because of the guides. There is no option to do on your own comfortably and without harrassment. Would not go again. Waste of time.

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Terri30PA
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Rush, rush, snap, rush..... BUY!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Dunn's river falls have been far, far too commercialised.

You get put in a group of around 15 and led to a spot to wait for your "guides". One of whom is actually going to take a video to sell you and the other is going to rush you through the experience holding hands with all the other people in your group, stopping at all the photo/video opp points, such as the point where you fall backwards into the water or slide down a smooth rock (he will practically throw you to get to the next person). Once at the top, that's it, no time to swim, or frolic, or anything, just get out because they want to sell you the video and photos.......

The falls themselves have been so reconstructed with cemented bags that little of the original rock is visible.

Maybe good for kids and teens, but I was underwhelmed.....

3 Thank Aaron E