“Wonderful but very tourist”

Dunn's River Falls and Park
$39.00*
Dunn's River Falls Tour from Ocho Rios
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Ocho Rios
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The falls themselves were amazing and climbing them was awesome. It was a once in a lifetime experience. I very much enjoyed this attraction; however, the guides had us cheer and yell and everyone was kept in the group with no opportunity to hang back and enjoy it without all the people. The merchants at the top of the falls were predators and would harass and trick you into buying trinkets. We used Moby Dick Tours and they helped us avoid everyone and we were not harrassed at all.

There are newer reviews for Dunn's River Falls and Park

Reviewed May 15, 2012

I want to start by saying that before we booked this I had heard that these falls were a waste of money...but that couldn't be more wrong! I went with a group of 7 friends and we had so much fun! You arrive my bus (that was thankfully airconditioned) and they start by putting you in a group of about 20-30 people. Lockers are available for $7 with $3 of that given back once you return the key. You are given 2 guides and a video guy for your tour up the falls. They then take you to about 3 or 4 tents where you can rent or buy water shoes (you MUST wear water shoes by the way). We chose to rent them as they were on $7 compared to $17 to buy them. They were a little goofy looking but surprisingly comfortable. Then the guides take you to the beach at the bottom of the falls and your climb begins. The water was chilly at first but once you get used to it, it felt great! Throughout the climb the guides would splash you with water and stop for photo ops to make it more fun. I couldn't stop laughing the whole time! My only issue with Dunn's River Falls was after the actual climb was over...the guides rush to the lockers so they can haggle for as many tips as possible and then you are forced to walk through never-ending shops to get to the exit, where people are pretty pushy in trying to get you to buy things. All-in-all it was a great time!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

Before we left for Jamaica we were told over and over that we couldn't miss Dunn's River Falls. The falls were beautiful and climbing up and into a waterfall was an experience I've never had. I was having too much fun to notice the workout I was getting as we were climbing.

Before you enter there are many places to rent water shoes for $7. We did that and it worked great. Once you get there the guide has you link hands and slowly start climbing the rocks. After a few minutes we were able to separate some and climb on our own. The falls are beautiful and the water feels great.

At the end of the falls there is a "village" of shops where people are very aggressive in getting you to buy. We heard many stories of the vendors being aggressive in selling things but did not experience that ourselves. We walked confidently without making eye contact and didn't have anyone bother us.

I would highly reccommend taking a day to climb the falls.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

This was an amazing experience. Our tour guide, C. Oliver, was the best and we have a lot of photos to prove it. He made the climb a delight and I finally got to do what I've wanted to do for 40 years! Thanks, Oliver, I'm still laughing at our video.

1  Thank Christine K
Reviewed May 14, 2012

It was a lot of fun and the water's freezing year-round. We took a catamaran cruise to the falls and highly recommend it. The only part I didn't like was how crowded it was. The dvd of your trip is great to have but don't pay their $40 for it...bargin them down.