“What a fantastic experience!”

Dunn's River Falls and Park
Ranked #2 of 68 things to do in Ocho Rios
London, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 115 helpful votes
“What a fantastic experience!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Went with my daughters (17 and 14) and we had a thoroughly soaking fantastic time. Best if you have your own surf/beach shoes as you will need them although you can hire them. Take a waterproof camera if you want to take your own photos. Use a guide (and tip him at the end) as it's really worth it as they know where to climb and they make it really fun. There will be a photographer with the guide who will take a video of the group and you can buy it at the end if you want to but there is no obligation to do so. Take a towel and dry clothes to change into afterwards (these can be left in the car/bus if you went with a tour, or place in the locker if you went on your own). Beware of the vendors trying to sell you things after the climb as you have to walk through all the stalls before you can exit. It's no good saying you have no money as they will follow you to your car/bus/locker. Just a firm "no" and a smile should do the trick if you don't want anything. Dunn's River Falls is one of these experiences you won't want to miss, I did it last year with my partner and enjoyed every minute of it and did it again with my daughter this year and they loved it. Will do this again if/when I come back to Jamaica!

• Arabic first
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“WOW! AWESOME!”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This was such an experience I almost did it twice! It was so cool, lots of fun! I didn't really know what was involved, I thought I was just going to swim in some waterfall, but yout actually climb up the waterfall! it takes close to an hour, but do NOT be discouraged. It is way easier than it looks and the guides help you the whole way. As long as you bring WATER SHOES you have nothing to worry about. Getting in and out of the complex you will be harrassed to buy stuff, obviously, but trust me you do not want to me in the Ocho Rios area and not do this! Same with Mystic Mtn. Do it! :)

Naples, Florida
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Fantastic Time....WITH RISK”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

We had a great time on this guided excursion from our resort. My wife made it about 3/4 of the way to the top, and I made it to the top.

The rocks on this waterfall are SLICK!!!! Most of the people in our tour group fell at least once on the slick rocks. There ARE a few points where if you fall, you WILL get hurt---broken bones hurt. There were a few spots the guide showed us to step, where if you slip, you WILL snap your ankle. Likewise, at a couple of points, if you fall, you WILL FALL @ 12-15 ft down to the rocks below. I saw a person take a bad fall, but they were able to walk away on their own. Due to the liability laws in the US, you'd never see this attraction here.

TIP---BRING YOUR OWN WATERPROOF CAMERA & WATER SHOES FROM HOME!!! Your guided excursion people usually stop into a local shop, but we were very disappointed when our camera was not working properly, and we had no pictures to take home. Likewise, we dropped $20 on the water shoes & we just trashed them afterward...You can rent their shoes, for @ $8 each, which again, is a ripoff.

The guides were high-pressure for a large tip & pushy to buy the video they take of your group. This is a turnoff. I tipped our guide $6, and he looked at me like I just spit on his dinner. From our group, he probably got $40-50 in tips---not bad for 30 minutes of work. Likewise, they get commission on all of the videos they sell too...

The vendors in the marketplace they make you file through at the conclusion are also hagglers, and pushy. Expect this behavior, as it is a cultural quirk.

Great time! I highly recommend trying it.

Visited July 2011
Brantford, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very fun interactive tour”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Go via Cool Runnings Catamarans,its a blast,great staff on board,lots of "high test" refreshments on the return trip, but they are pretty persistant with selling you stuff

Houston, Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Nice stop, even if you don't climb”
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Our cruise ship stopped at Falmouth, Jamaica and my dad selected a shore excursion to Dunn River Falls and Green Grotto caves because the brochure specifically stated that climbing the falls was optional and I figured my dad would not be up for any climbing. We brought our bathing suits thinking that we could wade/swim in the falls. That wasn't quite as easy as we had expected. The falls are more like cascades so there is not a large pool at the bottom of them to swim in. Actually, the falls pore right into the ocean so the bottom of the falls is a beach and we ended up wading in the ocean instead. There are, however, a few little shallow pools along the falls where one could conceivably take a dip.

The main attraction of the falls is climbing them, which we didn't do. We just watched and climbed up the stairs along the side of the falls as the rest of the folks in our excursion group made their way up. Our group was assigned a guide who took them to the base of the falls on the beach. Then everyone had to hold hands as the guide led them, single file, up the falls. We saw a few people topple over, but it didn't seem to be quite as difficult as I expected it to be. It took them about an hour to climb and everyone was soaked because the guides splash you to ensure you get wet and there is one little place where you can ride the current down into one of the pools. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun and the most complaints I heard were about it being so crowded so the climb was slow since they had to wait for the group in front of them to move. Also some folks didn't like having to go with a guide but they were told they couldn't just try it on their own. A few people didn't like having to hold hands with strangers, especially when the strangers were clumsy.

On the way out, you have the option to exit to the left, bypassing the shops, even though the signs say the exit is to the right and there is a rather tough looking guy telling you you have to exit right. (Our excursion guide warned us he would be there, but told us we were not obligated to go through the shops if we didn't want to.) We exited through the shops and all the vendors were annoying trying to sell us things. We just walked past them quickly because I wanted to go to the food court our guide told us about.

At the end of the shops there are 2 or 3 little stands with picnic tables that sell drinks and Jamaican food. I got fried plantains, a jerk chicken meal which came with rice and a little salad and a bottle of water for US$16 (USD is accepted so no need to change money). It wasn't cheap but it was delicious!! I would definitely recommend stopping there, especially if you are on a cruise stop and this is your only opportunity to eat Jamaican food.

All in all, we enjoyed our visit and thought it was a good choice for a shore excursion.