“Try the falls” 4 of 5 bubbles

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Try the falls”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I went to Jamaica on a cruise and wanted to do something that I had never done before. After looking at what the shore excursions for the cruise were decided I wanted to climb the falls, but i did not want to pay the rediculous amount for the excursion. So as we docked in ocho rios I walked to the taxi stand and asked one of the workers which cab is going to the falls. They Pretty much did the rest from there. Yes we had to wait a few minutes to get a decently full maxibus. For the price it wasn't too bad. For 1-4 people to the falls it was $15 roundtrip. Then there is the fee for the fall which was around another $15. As you walk down there are people to sell you watershoes. If you can get them ahead of time do that and save yourself the $17 they charge you for them. Beware of the people asking if you want "smokey, smokey" lol. By the lockers there are guides to guide you up the falls and will take pictures for you if you have a camera as well as record the climb. I didn't purchase the DVD because of other reviews saying the DVD was blank. Use caution. The climb isn't too bad some parts were deeper than others and had random big stones just shuffle your feet so you don't trip. The climb took about 30-45 minutes. You don't have to hold to hold on to other people but if you need a hand to get up on a rock they are there. The water wad very refreshing and it was beautiful and an experience. After you get to the top the guides are of course looking for a tip. Then to get to the bottom where the lockers are you have to go through this straw market with very aggressive sales people. Don't let it get to you just keep walking. Don't feel pressured to buy anything or to make a deal with them. Oh and you should try a red stripe beer if you have a moment to spare. Love it. Enjoy

2 Thank anitasookdeo

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“dunns river con”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

big rip off, waste of money, pure hassle and un wanted stress! everyone jus seems to attack you for money cos you have wrist bands on

Visited October 2011
1 Thank shirley_michael226
Indiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Take your time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

I recommend taking a half day for this. Enjoy the beach at the bottom of the falls as long as possible - the beach there is gorgeous. Try and find a laid-back guide. Guides seemed to be marching everyone up as quickly as possible and I feel like we missed out on a lot of beautiful scenery. It ended up feeling more like a workout. The water is cold and feels great. The falls are gorgeous. Take pictures. Enjoy every second. If you are out-of-shape or fearful that you can't make it, try and push yourself because it is quite the accomplishment. If you are young and fit you will have no problems. The guides are awesome in general. If one makes your trip special, be sure to tip them. We had one guide who really worked with our special-needs group and made it the experience of a lifetime. When we tipped him though, we had other guides who had not been so helpful approach us for money - just be aware because we ended up thanking a guide who hadn't helped because he was a little aggressive. I regret not lingering longer during this excursion and enjoying every second.

Have fun!

Visited October 2011
Providence, Rhode Island
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Good Even for Those Who Can't Swim”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was on my must do list for Jamaica but I was weary about it since I can't swim. I'm glad I didn't back out of it because it was so much fun. The water was ridiculously cold! Tour guides will push you into the water but it was shallow enough to just stand up (I'm 5'2"). You have to be careful because some of the areas towards the top have really jagged edges. I ended up having a handful of scrapes but it didn't bother me! For those who want to go but don't want to get wet, there is a walking trail along side the waterfall.

Visited August 2011
England
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“JUST GO!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

THE TRIP OF A LIFE TIME!!

AMAZING
SOMETHING TO REMEMBER JAMAICA BY!!
WE LOVED THIS - FAVOURITE ATTRACTION

Pricey but well worth it!!
A long drive from Negril - where we stayed
We want to go back to this attraction next time we visit Jamaica!!

You can buy photos and dvds which of you going up the waterfalls which is great to remember it by!!

Visited December 2010