All reviewssky explorerbed and breakfastcable tvzip linemontego bayloftpropertymarsharide
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I found the resort through LivingSocial and wanted to take advantage of the free breakfast offered as well as passes to Mystic Mountain including a ride on the Sky Explorer. My friend and I stayed for 4 days in mid-July. This was our first time to Jamaica.The resort is situated on a steep hill so if you have an issue with treking up and down the hill, this may be an issue for you. For us, it was fine. The view at the top is wonderful. You can see the ocean and beach.

After we checked-in, we were escorted to our room which was a one bedroom suite that included a living area and kitchen. I was pleased with the size and decor of the accomodations. We even had a patio area with a table and two chairs.

The resort includes free-Wifi throughout the property but it can be spotty. The best area of reception was near the June Plum restaurant.

Breakfast included a mix of American and Jamaican cuisine. The options changed daily ranging from saltfish, cabbage, dumplings, and beans. Omlettes were also offered daily. I did notice that the restaurant staff were not as friendly as Americans would expect with customer service. It was almost as if it was a chore to ask for juice or water. I had to keep reminding myself I was in a different country with a different culture. I enjoyed trying the different food options. It was quite tasteful.

I loved that we were within walking distance to Margaritaville and the downtown market. That allowed us to save money to use toward excursions. Additionally, there is a Jerk Centre that serves some pretty good jerk chicken near the resort.

There are taxis available on the property to get you around but the prices will be a bit more expensive than local cabs. It was explained to us that the resort taxis have a contract with the property and that if anything is left behind in the cab, they will return it to you. Basically, a liabiity and saftey issue.

My friend did not stay the entire time so I was there alone for one day. I felt safe walking around the resort and was not bothered. There is also a gate at the bottom of the hill where a security guard monitors people entering and exiting the resort.

My main gripe at the resort was the lack of hot water during my entire stay. We informed management of the issue but it was not resolved prior to us departing. We were not pleased having to take cold showers every day.

The resort is quiet. There weren't many tourists. To my understanding, part of the resort includes privately-owned units which may account for a more local feel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Olivia H
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We've gone to Mystic Ridge twice. The first time we went we were extremely satisfied with our stay that we vowed that it would be our choice hotel when traveling to Ocho Rios. The second time wasn't as great, but we were still pleased with our decision.

The things that remained constant were:
The Staff: extremely friendly and helpful. From the gate man, to the receptionists, to the manager. Everyone there made you feel very welcomed and made the stay enjoyable.

The ambiance: the name suits the resort very well. It's a very cozy and intimate setting the way that the rooms are set up and the grounds are arranged.

The property is in walking distance to shopping centers and various restaurants, but their on property restaurant, June Plum, is all you really need.

When going to Ocho Rios, we will continue to stay at Mystic Ridge. It is definitely not the cheapest hotel in the area, but you definitely get what you pay for.

All in all, if what you're looking for is a place to just stay on the grounds, Mystic Ridge is NOT for you.
If you simply want a place to sleep and don't care for the bells and whistles, save your money and stay elsewhere.
But if you're looking for a safe, intimate, and cozy hotel in which you plan to split your days between the hotel grounds and the sights of Ocho Rios, then Mystic Ridge is for you.
We will continue to return here for our trips to Ochi.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank David A
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I recently stayed at the Mystic Ridge in Ocho Rios with some friends. It was a group trip and we rented a 2 bedroom condo. We had an awesome time at the resort. The staff was friendly and knowledgable, especially Alrick. He went out of his way to assist us and make us feel welcome. The restaurant, June Plum, is to die for. They serve excellent high quality food at reasonable prices. The breakfast buffet was great and included fresh local dishes. Chef Antonio took care of us. The hotel is in a great part of town, centrally located near downtown Ocho Rios but not right in the middle of downtown with all the noise. This is a great hotel to stay at if you want to be near the action but still want to relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of a resort. The spa prices were excellent. This is a great hotel to stay at also if you plan to go to Mystic Mountain as it is a 3 minute drive from the resort and you will receive free admission and sky explorer rides if you are staying at Mystic Ridge. Overall, we had a great time at the hotel and will be returning as soon as we can.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tash0612
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at Mystic; the location is perfect. It overlooks the ocean and depending on the room you are in, you can see the cruise ships when they are in.The room amenities are very modern. I had a 2 br suite and was able to cool and have dinner on the balcony overlooking the ocean.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Aradene
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We booked an all inclusive 4 star with Sunwing Vacations to Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Mystic Ridge Resort. We were shocked to see the state of the resort. The 4 star we expected turned out to be a "no star". Not only the staff of the resort but even the Sunwing rep claimed it was not a 4 star and definitely not inclusive. We were duped!!!

Since check in was 3:00 p.m. and we arrived at 1:30 p.m. we were charged for lunch!! The all inclusive turned out to be almost non-inclusive. There was only a small kitchen and not only the state of the utensils being used but also the meagre buffet breakfast (4 chafing dishes) contained items that were questionable. We had a choice of either that or an omelet with 2 slices of bread (the toaster was finicky) and a dollop of butter nothing else. The fruit salad (only melon bits floating in some liquid) was set in a punch bowl covered with cling wrap! Since we were to have the almost inclusive!! we were offered a lunch menu of 2 chicken items, goat curry and fish and for dinner there was another selective menu where half of the items were not available. Imagine eating this repeatedly for 7 days. The bar was non-existent. One soft drink or alcoholic bev, if available, was provided only with meals. We were grocery shopping to meet our needs in Jamaica. What did we get for our vacation - a whole bunch of mosquito bites which are still itchy!!

Room Tip: Buyer Beware when selecting Sunwing Airlines!! Do your research well. This was my first and last trip with SUNWING AIRLINES. I have written several emails and sent pictures. They tell me they are still investigating. What!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family