“Excellent beach, so-so staff”
Review of Bamboo Beach

Bamboo Beach
Ranked #22 of 69 things to do in Ocho Rios
More attraction details
Owner description: A famous Jamaican landmark, this breathtaking picture-perfect white sand beach is a tropical slice of heaven. Lounge chairs are lined along the seashore, some grouped amongst shady random clusters of hundred year old almond and palm trees, while others are arranged closer to the waters edge. Enjoy soft reggae music and great Jamaican hospitality. A large bamboo bar offers exotic cocktails and beverages, and the seaside restaurant serves tasty local cuisine.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The guys that work at the gate are totally rude. If you are NOT coming in from a cruise ship, they flat out tell you that:
"You cannot have a chair and you have to stay to one side of the beach as the VIP people, get all the chairs and the food."

I ignored the negativity, paid the $600.00JA and walked down. There were (6) vacant chairs in the "riff-raff" section (lol) I was glad to have the entire LEFT side of REGGAE BEACH, all, to myself, except for one other woman that came in later.

The woman that work by the bar are ALL IRIE. They are nothing like the guys at the gate. I have to say that, the price to get in, changes with the wind. One day it is $300.00JA dollars, (I have a JA-passport) and weekends and holidays it is $600.00 JA. One day, nobody had change for my 1000/JA bill. The next day, one of the male gate attenders yelled at me saying I did not pay. I TRIED to pay, but nobody had any change and they knew it. I am not paying 1000/JA to swim. However, I found out from another couple, that they paid $10.00US a piece to get in, and they were told they "get no chair" as well. That price is for non-resident people, and rather expensive if you come back every day.

The owner needs to have a meeting with his staff and get these issues resolved. Catering just to the cruise ship people, (and they do suck up to them) is plain WRONG and rude.
The snorkeling rocks and the beach and view is so sweet.
When I left, I walked by the gate guys and said: "I had the most luscious day and I also enjoyed one of (6), empty chairs."
All this with a smile and a, "see you tomorrow".

I will still go back and I will just ignore the ignorant remarks and focus on the sweet Caribbean sea~

5  Thank Sista-Levi

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Hurricane Sandy took away a good portion of beach. You can't see it before paying the $10 P/P entry. They give you a free chair but the guy expects a tip for bringing it too you. Not impressed with the beaches around Ochi. We posted a recent photo of how the beach looks on our site.

Ps, Same goes for James Bond Beach but its fee to view it. Beach is mostly washed away but they still try and get $7 to enter.

3  Thank Destination360
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great beach. Wonderful swimming. The beach club, restaurant is GREAT. The manager was fabulous. There are even turtles nesting there. The food was good! We were there at the 50 anniversary holiday and the beach was not even crowded.
On the downside: The service was awful. I ordered lunch and was so busy playing I didn't realise that it was over an hour before I was served. When I went to waiter to ask her where lunch was, instead of saying sorry, she tried to shift blame to the cook. Again customer service needs lot of work in JAmaica but other than that, we would visit Reggae Beach again and again and again!
The showering and bathroom facilities are clean. Great relief!

I beg all future visitors to lodge your concerns with the managers at the beach about trash. Again as we left the beach, I saw so much trash and debris--plastic straws, cups, bottles. Please do your part to spread the word that trash kills our environment and takes away the very character of what makes Jamaica so beautiful!

Reviewed January 16, 2013

This beach was a mile from our B&B, perfect.
$9 each for admission was well worth it.
Bathrooms and showers available.
Free seating on the beach, chair service available for food and drinks.
Bring water shoes, the first 10 feet of ocean had coral bottom.
Somewhat strong current, but great to swim.
Quiet, clean and beautiful.

1  Thank Judy Jim D
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Pretty beach, but pricey $9.50 per person to enter. They do provide beach chairs and there is a bar. It does cater to the cruise ship crowd so it can be busy.

4  Thank kamas124