“Wonderful Wedding at Shaw Park Beach Hotel!”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto
“Wonderful Wedding at Shaw Park Beach Hotel!”
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Shaw Park is a scenic gem in Ocho Rios. My fiance and I had stayed there for 1 night in Oct 09 and we were impressed with the intimate and cosy feel of the resort. The beach was the most beautiful we had seen in Ocho Rios and the food at the resort was great; so when we were deciding on a place to hold our beach wedding ceremony, Shaw Park came to mind right away. I contacted Sheryl Clarke, the wedding coordinator at Shaw Park and she was a treat to deal with right from the start. She responded right away and over the many months answered countless questions and emails from me with patience and ease. As we had many local guests attending our wedding, one of our big concerns was the ridiculous day passes most resorts charge for outside guests to come aswell as what they charge for outside photographer to come on site. Shaw Park waived all of these extra fees which saved us a bundle. We met with Sheryl a few days before the wedding and gave here the music we wanted played and went over the fine details. We felt very confident that she would do a wonderful job, which she did! On the day of the wedding it rained for quite a bit and it was unsure if it would rain again so the wedding ceremony was moved indoor to the hotel lobby (which is breathtaking). It is very colonial style with beautiful decor. From the wedding pictures it almost looks like we are in a beautiful church! The pastor was wonderful. The ceremony was lovely and the bouquets Sheryl had for the bridal party were so gorgeous! As soon as the ceremony was over we moved outside to take some pictures on the beach. We had arranged for some fish fritters and fruit punch for our guests and it was DELICIOUS! And the fruit punch tasted from real fruits and very refreshing! The Shaw Park Beach was the most beautiful backdrop for our wedding pictures. It is very exotic and looks very natural and untouched. We couldn't have been more please with the way that everything turned out! All of our guest were very pleased and I overheard some mention that if they know anyone else getting married in Jamaica they are going to tell them they must do it at Shaw Park! Thank you Shaw Park for making our special day so Magical and Breathtaking! And thank you Sheryl for all of your hard work and dedication to making it Perfect for us!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nohotmess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed May 26, 2010

We were originally suppsed to be going to Kenya when we went on this holiday but because of the violence there at the time our holiday was cancelled and our travel agent found this holiday last minute & we had to pay a little more money for it. As the hotel we were going to in Kenya had a fantastic rating we were expecting even more from the Shaw Park in Jamaica - oh how wrong we were. This holiday was a complete let down, from stat to finish, when we arrived at our destination after "not the best flight" we were greeted by lashings and lashings of rain (not that thats anyones fault, but the weather was terrible throughout the holiday). The hotel was tired & dated, and on entering our room after much confusion at check in, we found our bathroom to be very old/dirty looking and the hot water hardly hot at all. Our room was cleaned every day by friendly staff, but you can't really make a room look better with cleaning products when it needs ripping out & totally refurbishing.
The food at any part of the day was terrible not sure if thats the Jamaican cuisine or just the hotel, but we were expecting much higher quality than what we received. Make sure you fill up on midday lunch, as the evening meal was beyond poor!
Things to do at the hotel - well don't try the gym if you can call it that, the treadmill & cross trainer were older than time itself, and the weight bench looked worrying. The pool was freezing, there were no other sports to try and the beach was not good at all!! My partner caught a bad ear infection whilst there we think it was from the swimming pool!
Be very careful if you are thinking about walking anywhere out of the hotel, it is not safe and I wouldn't recommend it, we travelled here with my father & his partner and they were stopped by a man just a short walk up the road from the hotel, who wanted money and my fathers watch!
We went on 2 excursions from the hotel which were the best part of the holiday - try the Appleton Rum Tour, its a very long drive but it was worth it just to get out of the hotel, and the Rum factory was very interesting & fun. Also good chance to stop off at Burger King on your way back to the hotel to eat something nice (and we don't usually eat takeaway burgers!!) Also went on the horse riding excursion again booked from the hotel & this was also great fun, not too far away & a chance to ride through the ocean which was great although the beach again was not very nice, had some lovely photos taken.
All in all we were very disappointed with Jamaica and doubt we'll ever go back. If you are thinking of planning a holiday to Jamaica take my advice and find another hotel - we've stayed in many hotels in many places and this one has to be the worst hotel we have ever stopped at.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 23, 2010

When I first arrived I felt a bit disappointed because the hotel looked a lot different from the photos that I saw online. When my boyfriend and I got there the check-in people were very nice and offered us drinks. It all got off to a good start but then they messed up. First they told us that they were undergoing renovations so we would have to be relocated to a nice suite in another part of the building. We were fine with that. However, later they said that we would also have to share a room with someone (There is a common living room area with two bedrooms that lock). When we got to our room it looked like someone had been living there for a while, it was very dirty. Our own room was horrible, not what I booked at all and it was so dirty. I got really upset and spent the first hour of my vacation crying and trying to figure out a way to get out of there because the people there weren't being very helpful when I tried to get a new room. They said they didn't have another one, although there about only 10 other people staying there at the time. The lady at the front desk was difficult to get along with and when I tried to call the US she said she would be charging me $2 a minute and they took forever to call for us (we couldn't place the call by ourselves). At the end of the day the manager told us he was giving us a new room. This time we got our own private living space and a beautiful view overlooking the ocean. The bed was nicer (although it was a "king" it was just two twin mattresses, so it was kind of uncomfortable to sleep in at times). I started to calm down and once I got over the fact that this wasn't going to be what I expected, I really enjoyed it. The food variety wasn't too great, but I was never disappointed. I thought that the place would have a buffet, but people were serving you 90% of the time and I felt like they were mad at me a lot because I couldn't tip them every meal. I really couldn't afford to be tipping people as much as they expected, and I felt like some of the staff was mad at me for that reason. The bar made pretty good drinks, they were out of some stuff but I didn't really mind. The beach was very peaceful and secluded and the water was beautiful. Overall, my stay there turned from night mare to paradise. I think it matters also on your attitude about the place because I saw a lot of people complaining a lot. I realized that a lot of the times that could be avoided and that made my stay nicer. I really liked that place, it was a bit old, not as clean as I expected but I still had a great time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jnesvetailova
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 2, 2010

I found this hotel for a great price that we couldn't find anywhere else. When we got the the hotel we were greeted with rum punches(light on the rum) and news that upon arrival we were being upgraded to a suit rather than a normal room because some construction was going on. which was true throughout the week they were replacing the roofs on some of the buildings. it wasnt bad though they never started working much before noon and were never there past 7pm. We had hot water, a/c.
My only complaints would be that the drink cups from the bar should be bigger (they are tiny 6 ounces) it makes for a lot of trips to the bar when your on the beach. Also the food could use some improvement( the fish at dinner was never deboned. a dessert custard was extremely overcooked) it seemed a little generic. I would have like to see a little more island culture in the food, i came to jamaica to experience the country not them attempting to make it feel like my home. I also felt like we were being overcharged for some of the outings we went on. that may have been our own fault not being brave enough to find our own taxis.
Overall though having a beach basically to ourselves everyday, the views from where you eat are perfect, and the quiet relaxation i was needing for this vacation it was perfect. Do your research before you go to this hotel, it may not be what your looking for.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rastaprincess9
Minnesota
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Interesting Place. Put it this way, 1st room flooded and the second had no A/C. I even was forced to sneak light bulb out of the dining room and put them in the bar area so we could see each other. I took the fictures apart infront of the resort owner and put the light bulbs in. The whole place lit up and everyone clapped for me. The owner acted as if he saw nothing....
If you dont like people hounding you to but their goods, stay away from Ocho Rios!!!!!
Feel free to ask me any questions. sknisley@hutchtel.net

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank keepitneat
notts
Reviewed April 10, 2010

I have been to Jamaica over 10 times and i have a open mind. I don't usually complain but on this occasion i felt that i must put somthing in writing to warn others and i must This is the worst A/I hotel i have ever stayed at rooms were average but very clean inside decor is dated the whole hotel needs a lot of work doing to it. The corridors smelt musty. Electricity went and 2 occasion during my 3 night stay. Other people compained of no hot water but to be honest i didn't have that problem NO entertainment my 4 yr old was bored to death. And being so faraway from the town it was to far to go out in the evening with a small child. Food was also poor. had to work 15mins to a petrol station for food supplies. between meals all that was on offer were rock cakes and cornbeef/ cheese sandwiches. Hotel boost 2 bars but there is only one on the beach and te drinks available are very limited staff are only friendly to people who tip all the time thus getting totally ignored. They had a disco in the evening total waste of time empty and im not suprised might have something to do with the tacky music being played. The only bonus was the view from my room in the morning. wish i paid a bit more and stayed somewhere else

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank ma1achi1
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I chose the Shaw Park Resort because it was small and quiet and right on the beach. Yes, it is an old hotel and could use some work but the rooms were clean and the beach is right out your window so the waves sing you to sleep every night. The sand and beach were wonderful with a reef off the beach that you can swim out to if you want to snorkel. It's a little far but can be done. There is a river that runs through the property so you can go "tubin or raftin" with the locals. I thought the food was very good- they always had 3 or 4 main dishes with something different on the carving table each night. They had jerk chicken and fish one day, prime rib, turkey, ham, chicken. Desserts are not what Americans are used to as they seem to be lower in sugar and fat. At breakfast there is only one omelet cooked at a time which could be improved on. There was one day I didn't want to wait in line so I chose something else. i did have a complaint about the beach bar as I drank a lot of pina coladas and never felt affected by alcohol. After the third day I tipped the girl and she gave me one I could tasted the rum in. I think the all inclusives water down all the alcohol and give you low % beer and if you tip on day one they will be more generous. The hotel info says gratuities are included and they should have staff that accepts that as enough unless someone really goes above and beyond. I don't believe in tipping to GET service. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful for the most part. If you like a busy vacation with lots of activities at your fingertips, this is not the place for you. If you want to just lay on the beach, read and swim and relax in peace with the beach literally at your door this is your place. Don't expect alot of frills, bring your own tolletires and hair dryer and a botlle of real alcohol for your room and you'll be fine. There is a tour desk on site that can help you get where you need to go for a price.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#20 of 61 in Montego Bay
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!