“Quaint little resort with friendly staff and rooms just steps from beach.”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto, Canada
“Quaint little resort with friendly staff and rooms just steps from beach.”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Actually attended: last week of February 2012 (had to select July 2012 since we could only go back as far as July 2012 in the drop-down asking when we attended the resort).

We booked Shaw Park instead of a 5 star because we knew we would be doing a lot of travelling around the island, so we weren't too picky about what our room was like and we just wanted a resort that was small and authentic Jamaican.

We were not disappointed. Yes, the grounds and rooms need a lot of work and the food was repetitive and sparse at times, but frankly for a small 3 star, it was exactly what we were expecting.

The resort is very small and intimate. All the rooms are oceanfront. Ours was literally steps from the beach and bar! Perfect! And since it was so small, there was no waiting in line for drinks or food and there were enough loungers for everyone in the resort to have 2 each! LOL The pool was tiny and deserted most of the time as everyone spent their time on the beach.

If you are looking for a party resort, this one is not for you as there is no entertainment or nightlife to speak of. They have musicians playing after dinner, and one night there was karaoke until 11pm at the beach bar, but the disco maybe had 20 people in it after 11pm!

That was fine for us since we weren't there to party all night. We were there to relax and unwind, as well as to check out the sights and culture around the island.

We didn't do any organized excursions, but we did hire a car and driver to take us (and another couple we met at the resort) around the island for some authentic jerk chicken and to visit the Blue Lagoon and Bob Marley's homestead. We did some shopping in Ocho Rios as well and met a lot of really nice people.

Our drive Fritz (we call him Fritz the Cat due to his cat-like moves manoeuvering through the treacherous roads leading up to Bob Marley's and manoeuvering around the roads. They drive like NYC cabbies in Jamaica! It was great fun!

Shaw Park will always hold a special place in my heart since I got engaged there! My now-husband proposed to me in the gazebo on the dock at dusk on my birthday. So romantic!

I think we'll be back again. Maybe for our 5th wedding anniversary!

Room Tip: They are all oceanfront, so I don't think you can pick a bad one. However, closer to the main lo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LisahLove
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thanks for your honest reviews of our wonderful property. We have taken note of ALL your comments and I can assure you we always have our guest in mind. Please come back and bring your friends.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Decent hotel with an excellent private beach. Quiet and relaxing. It is not a 5-star but offers good and clean rooms just on the beach.

One of the disadvantages is that it does not offer wi-fi apart from a restricted area in front of the reception and that the food could have been better and more.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Yiannis G
Wonderful comments, we will be looking into getting 2 more WiFi repeaters so we will have coverage through out the property.
Thanks and look forward seeing you and don't forget to bring some friends so that your stay can be more enjoyable.
Ohio
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent a week at the Shaw Park from 5/19 - 5/26, along with 4 other family members. We booked the trip thru Vacation Express and had direct flights from Cinci to Montego Bay. Upon arrival at the Shaw Park, we were quickly checked into our rooms. During the check-in progress, one of the staff came up to tell us they had saved some dinner for us since we arrived after 10PM. We went to our rooms, dropped off luggage then headed down to the bar. Even though the bar normally closes at 10PM, they readily accommodated us and no one acted put out. Come to find out, there were a TOTAL of 10 guests at the hotel! All of us had come in on the same flight - it was like our own private resort! No the rooms aren't perfect, and no there aren't activities beyond kayaking available, but we knew that going in. We took cards and played euchre every evening after dinner. The rooms are clean, there was plenty of hot water and the air conditioning is cold. You couldn't ask for a more beautiful location on the beach, and there are no locals wanting you to buy stuff from them. I didn't use the pool, but it's a good size and one member of our group preferred that over the ocean. There is no ocean view from the pool, so I stayed on the beach! Shaw Park does have groups that come in, but we didn't find that to be a negative. One day, a group of about 60 middle school kids were there. Their parents had bought this trip for them as a reward for a good school year. The kids were very polite and it was fun watching them have fun! Another day there were a few groups from the cruise ship there. Again, not an inconvenience, but something new to watch.

Food: Most days it was ala carte. We did have a lunch buffet a couple of days, and for breakfast 1 day. The food was good - better than most all inclusive places I have stayed at. There were usually 3 options for lunch and dinner, always a salad and always dessert of some sort. I had red snapper cooked a couple of different ways - very good! Breakfast consisted of eggs - including omelets, bacon, sausage, fresh fruit, juices, French toast, pancakes and always some traditional Jamaican dish.

Staff: They are what make this resort! Anthony Morgan - the day time kitchen mgr is wonderful! He's not only personable, but will do anything he can to help make your stay enjoyable. He's also a published poet (in the US)! One day, some of our group wanted cheeseburgers for dinner... he made it happen! He makes sure you're being taken care of and if you aren't, he does it himself. One member of our group wanted chewy bacon, the rest of us crispy - that was remembered and done. They set a table with 6 seats for us for breakfast and dinner - like our own private seating area. Conroy at the bar is very good - again, personable and obviously enjoys what he does. Darren was also very pleasant. We locked ourselves out of our room 1 morning - no problem - the front desk just gave us another key and we took it back when we got into our room. They made sure we got to the buffet while there was still food when groups were there. I don't think I've ever stayed at a place where it was always service with a smile - regardless of what staff member you were dealing with.

If you're looking for a place that offers all the bells and whistles and rooms that look like something out of a magazine, this isn't the place for you. But, if you're looking for a nice quiet vacation on a beautiful beach and a staff that appreciates your presence, then you can't go wrong!

Shout out to our original group - Mary & Pat from Columbus, & Mary & Kent from Covington - and hello to all of the Shaw Park staff who made our vacation memorable!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank krv
Wow! it sure felt great reading your your review, I have taken note of all your concerns and have pass on the compliments to the staff.
We hope you will consider us again for your next vacation.
Thanks again, and we look forward serving you and your group in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed with 3 other family members at this hotel. Other than sunning oneself on the the beach there was nothing to do there. The advertised amenities were non-existent, indeed, the advertizing was false. The pool was filthy and unuseable. There were so many mosquitoes, you couldn't be out at night (where all meals were served) without being 'eaten alive'. Food was limited and mediocre at best. The wait staff was friendly and accomodating, especially a bartender named Smiley. This did not apply to the manager who was arrogant and unresponsive to requests and complaints and publicly disrespectful to his staff. Bar supplies were in short supply (no lemons, limes, club soda & cheap liquor). I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank mebparker
michaelgayle, Director of Sales at Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
We thank you for your comment and hope that despite this bad experience you did have a relaxed stay with us. We continue to improve the quality of service and the product we offer and that the hotel is know for over the years.
As for your comment relating to the Manager we have passed your comments on.

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went here for my birthday...hoping the reviews were not true...well !!!!" they are. .i had a terrible birthday and lost lots of money.. When i checked in..i only saw 2 other ladies in the resort..food that should of been stored certain tenperatures wasnt...the boss hides in his office...did not come to address my concerns...they offered me a different room...no way...the rooms are so outdated...do not trust the pictures ..it worst than it appears...i actually caught a early fight home. .no way i would of laid in there beds / ate there food / left my belongings unattended....vacation/ birthday gone all wrong...:(

• Stayed April 2013
7 Thank deaddddly
We thank for taking time out to record your experience here at our wonderful property. I have passed along the comments that are serious, and wish to make a correction to one of these. The pictures that are posted any where on the internet are true of the property, if you have found one that you believe is not, please bring it to my attention.
I would like to apologize for us not been able to meet or surpass your expectations, as you are aware, we are aware we cannot please all our guest but we certainly try as hard, I refer you to those other reviews here that we certainly did meet their needs.
Thanks again, and hopefully we will be able to serve you again.
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is one hotel that has a personality in Jamaica, unlike those monoliths that skirt the edges of the sea on the road to it. It is a colonial style hotel, with only 94 rooms, on Cutlass Bay, a private beach. A small patio off the room with its huge bed, was a walkway width from the sand, and a short distance from the bar.

The all-inclusive meal plan, served on the large outside patio, right next to the water, had a variety of different dishes each day. Once, during the week, they had buffet starter and dessert, with an entree from a menu, served by the ever attendant waiting staff dressed in their red tartan vests.
Live music, featuring different performers, accompanied every evening meal. Even the crew from Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dives stayed, and ate, here after filming with Guy Fierri who had stopped off from his cruise to review two Jamaican restaurants.

It is an older hotel, and could do with new carpet, and paint in the halls. There was no shampoo in the bathroom, and the fittings were less than luxury, but quite adequate for our needs. The lobby is the only place with Wi-Fi, but gets you off the beach and away from the bar. It is also where you sign out your beach towels, which your can swap daily for clean ones.

Take sunscreen, and mosquito repellant. Be prepared to be at the back of the food line if a cruise ship's passengers arrive for lunch. They have not figured out that hotel guests should have precedence. Have a massage on the beach for $20. Talk to Kelly, the lifeguard, if you want snorkels, (better to take your own), or to buy the jewelry that she makes while on duty. The patio by the bar is frequented by smokers, so we sat in the eating area, once set for dinner, and played Scrabble on the iPad until the sun vanished and dinner was called.

Kick back, and enjoy paradise. The tours are costly, so walk down the beach and find the White River, right before the nude resort, and hire a bamboo raft for $30 to take you up the shallow waterway.
Do not expect luxury at this hotel, but it has personality that the major chains sorely lack.

Room Tip: You want ground level.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Melanie071
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Shaw Park from March 27th until April 3rd. This was our first vacation so I have nothing to compare it to really but this is my opinion (and I am not rich, did not have super high expectations and am an easy going Canadian). First impression was snotty front desk lady..got to the room...I thought it was cute although I'm told by seasoned travelors that they are very tired. Went to check out the "private beach" and was approached by locals who live on a little patch between this resort and the nude resort just to the right of this hotel that wanted us to take a ride on their home made raft down around the corner for $50 each. Food was not my thing, you won't see a buger and fries until you get home put it that way. Afternoon snack is pizza everyday. Here is the fun part of my review...on the third night I went to use the washroom in the middle of the night anf had a staring contest (because I was to afraid to move) for about 45 minutes with a cockroach, until I had the guts to scream for my husband to come kill this ginormous bug which took him at leasr 20 minutes...after this of course I don't sleep and in the morning when we seen another@ one in the hallway and asked the maid what it was (because I spent all night trying to convince myself that it was just a really really big island june bug) she casually says "oh that...that's a roach...a cockroach" my husband steps on it and kicks it aside and no word of a lie..it was there 4 days later when we went home...no one cared to pick it up and dispose of it. And the front desk was not the slightest bit concerned anout it when I told them.Cruise ship people are served with highest priority. Drinks are scarice after 10:00pm NO one goes to the disco EVER...an they have little to no music on this resort. The owner Mr. smitt or whatever his name is flutters in looking high as a kite on what I here is cocaine everynight but no concers are addressed or taken Seriously (although I did not complain however talked to a few that did). The fishing boat drove us 20 feet away for what was supposed to be free (but make no mistake...nothing comes for free in Jamaica) when we got back to shore he demanded money and sat in his boat on the water directly outside of our room threatening us with his boss until we gave him money. The bar guy smiley is about the only positive...I sure hope my next vacation isn't like this. Small resort...no a la cart...only one eating area which is buffet all the time. Hardly a pool..no one ever useda it.

• Stayed March 2013
SeaGarden Beach Resort
#20 of 61 in Montego Bay
Fun Holiday Beach Resort
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!