“Will not be back”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I read all of the reviews prior to coming to Shaw Park but still decided to book. I traveled with a friend and the only positive I have to say about this resort is the beach and water. We also met a great crew of travellers from across Canada, those two things made this stay bearable. The security is a joke! Friends of ours were robbed by a "fake cop" who threatened to take them to jail if they didn't give them all their money. Locals have access to the beach even though it states to have a private beach...there is only one bar and one restaurant. The food is good but the options didn't change. The bar closes early on the beach so you are forced to hang out in the disco bar that is dark,smelly and sketchy. The bartenders make you feel as though asking for a round of drinks is a insult even after tipping well. When the cruise ship visitors come 3-4x a week you will be pushed to the side and asked to wait if you want to eat lunch even though you are a guest. They cater to the cruise ship guests. It was ridiculous. Let me also point out that I've travelled lots and have stayed in pretty sketchy places but this makes my top 3 worst list. Hot water comes and goes...and the odd day that it works, the shower head may or may not fall off.
A few of the workers made sexual advances. The owner does nothing to compensate or make up for the disappointments and concerns you express. The workers attitudes definitely reflect the owners persona.. The care is not there.
Had it not been for the amazing group of people we met while staying there, this trip would have been a bust. Consider staying else where.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank jaetee

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The good:
We ( my husband and 2 children - 11 and 14 years) stayed at Shaw Park between March 15 -March 29 and enjoyed the quiet location. Our kids had the pool unto themselves almost everyday. The pool was well maintained. The beach area was clean and tidied each morning. There was always a variety of foods for supper. Yes, there was an option for pasta each day but there was also a choice of beef, pork, chicken and fish options each night as well. We were there when the 'break- in' took place and when a variety of people chose to leave the resort. We, however felt safe at all times.
The bad:
This hotel was probably the place to be 25 years ago. The problem is that it doesn't look like upgrading has taken place. Light fixtures, carpeting and paint requires updating....truly. We had rooms 35 and 36 and they were quite small. Our patio door was broken, side table broken, lights needed replacing etc...it just needs a little love and it could be lovely. We spent most evenings killing mosquitos before going to bed but always had numerous bites by the morning. We enjoyed our stay but we had a car and left the resort to see a bit of the country each day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Fia R
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This was our 5th visit to Jamaica; an island we love so dear! It was our first time staying at Shaw Park and our last visit! The only reason we stayed there is because our usual accomodation in Trelawny is closed for renovations. It was nice being right on the water and hearing the loud waves at night and our rooms were always kept clean by the hard working housekeeping staff. Other than that, we have very little that is good to say about Shaw Park. The Jamaicans working there for the most part are great, but morale is very low due to the bosses they work under. Sounds like they get paid approx. $1 or $1.50 an hour, meanwhile the owner and boss under him, drive to work in a brand new Hummer each day which you will always see parked out in front of the building. They are wealthy and the workers are barely scraping by. Most have families, must take taxis and/or buses to get to work and to get home. They take home very little pay at the end of the day. Shaw Park has not had renovations in years; you will see that when you sit at the tables with the chipped paint, terrible old placemats (they should be thrown out!), the peeling paint on the buildings etc.etc. It is obivious the owner Mr. Smatt, keeps the money in his own pockets!! He is CHEAP!! This used to be the most popular spot in Ocho Rios 10 years ago, and has gone downhill since he took over. The food was the same old stuff recycled meal after meal. Poor variety. Also, security is very lax. I would recommend booking elsewhere to prevent disappointment when you arrive. Jamaica is our favourite place to visit, but please avoid this place, too many negatives!

Room Tip: Keep patio locked at night...you may get unwanted visitors! Best not to even book here!
4  Thank Sue P
Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel is old and needs much refurbishing. Extremely quiet and relaxing. There is no on sight activities to do. The staff is pretty friendly. From the reviews I read there was not a lot of variety of food to choose from which proved true. The Jamaican breakfast was really good but there was almost nothing to eat at dinner and lunch was average. There is not much to see but if you want to see your life vacation away behind the very thick drapes then this is the place for you.

1  Thank Nikeshia S
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I can't thank the Sunwing rep who transferred myself and my daughter and several other guests to the Riu in Ocho Rios. He was so helpful and worked hard to get us out. The security was very poor, there were few people and dark no lighting on the beach or walkways. I was there when the girls room got broken into. The staff said it was a joke and didn't happen. There was one bar which was a table with a few bottles on the deck. The chairs are broken and wood is splinting on them. The stAff will not serve you drinks have to get them yourself. The stAff don't smile. No music at all. I could go on and on. After three days we transferred to Riu where it was lively white sand beach safe with amazing food selection. Never again to Shaw Park. What a dump.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Halina Z
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very poor security. When i was there on my last night, at 3 AM a local broke into my room through the patio door. He was outside on the patio for at lest a half hour and he started playing with my hair. He was ready to steel something. I was staying on the second floor and he still managed to climb up a palm tree and get into my room cause the lock was broken on my patio door. The experience was extremely terrifying. The worst part is, security did a very poor job trying to make us feel safe. Other then that, the hotel wasn't that bad. Rooms were right on the beach and the view was awesome. Food wasn't that great either, pasta every night. Staff was friendly, but like i said very little security and never did anything. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone. Specially not for children. There isn't much to do there. Jet skies and canoes. Thats it. I had a horrible experience in this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alexandra T
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Jamaican people can have rhythem, love and respect for others with not problems! I felel safe and enjoy the sun. But jmaican people are not warm people, unhappy, straight foward with a lot attitud. I wil never go back because of their people!

3  Thank Lilia g