“An update to terrible vacation turned good”

Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I can't thank the Sunwing rep who transferred myself and my daughter and several other guests to the Riu in Ocho Rios. He was so helpful and worked hard to get us out. The security was very poor, there were few people and dark no lighting on the beach or walkways. I was there when the girls room got broken into. The staff said it was a joke and didn't happen. There was one bar which was a table with a few bottles on the deck. The chairs are broken and wood is splinting on them. The stAff will not serve you drinks have to get them yourself. The stAff don't smile. No music at all. I could go on and on. After three days we transferred to Riu where it was lively white sand beach safe with amazing food selection. Never again to Shaw Park. What a dump.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Halina Z

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very poor security. When i was there on my last night, at 3 AM a local broke into my room through the patio door. He was outside on the patio for at lest a half hour and he started playing with my hair. He was ready to steel something. I was staying on the second floor and he still managed to climb up a palm tree and get into my room cause the lock was broken on my patio door. The experience was extremely terrifying. The worst part is, security did a very poor job trying to make us feel safe. Other then that, the hotel wasn't that bad. Rooms were right on the beach and the view was awesome. Food wasn't that great either, pasta every night. Staff was friendly, but like i said very little security and never did anything. I do not recommend this hotel for anyone. Specially not for children. There isn't much to do there. Jet skies and canoes. Thats it. I had a horrible experience in this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alexandra T
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Jamaican people can have rhythem, love and respect for others with not problems! I felel safe and enjoy the sun. But jmaican people are not warm people, unhappy, straight foward with a lot attitud. I wil never go back because of their people!

3  Thank Lilia g
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I am here now and I hate it. It is deserted no life at all. Resort is dark mouldy. No drinks at 10 pm last night can't even get a soda before 11 am. Buffet had 7 dishes. Bottled water is 3. Every guest I spoke with demanded Sunwing transfer them to another hotel. The cost was outrageous. Nothing and I mean nothing to do. Beach is so narrow sand is not white but light brown water is nice though. Terrible do not come here.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Hohoho59
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Recently returned from a one week stay at this resort, and to say we have mixed feelings would be an understatement. Many excellent things: the location, staff, cleanliness, quality of food, but there were also major defecits: almost 3 hour drive from airport, intermittant hot water, ours was off 3 times in the week, electrical problems, quantity of some food items, and variety of food items. This resort is, as many have said, "dated" in the extreme, and although there are minor items being touched up, what is needed is definitely a major overhaul to the rooms, furniture, buildings, paths, and ameneties. We did not use the pool during our stay, but it also needed some maintainence. The beach, on the other hand, was excellent, and was cleaned of leaves etc. early every morning. Would we return? Probably not. Just too many negatives, even considering the location.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms give best view.
5  Thank David M
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Ok, first of all to comment on the reviews which point to this hotel as being "dated". Yes, it is dated, in the sense that it is old and charming in its decor, which is a plus in my mind. However, the reviewers are commenting on its perceived need of painting and sprucing up. This is definitely true, however for me, that doesn't matter. We were with Sunwing, with what they described as "Superior Room". The room was modern, 2nd floor, facing the beach with a balcony. Great view. The resort is situated on a private beach. You can't walk for "miles/kilometres" but the secluded private nature of the beach makes up for that. The air conditioning was modern and one of the best functioning units I've seen in the Caribbean. I've read some comments about variety of food being a problem. I didn't find this at all. There was always a choice of fish or beef or pork dishes. For a 3 1/2 star resort, the food was 5 star in my book. The only complaint I would have is that they could make a greater effort to utilize the heating underneath the food pans to keep the food a little warmer throughout the entire meal sitting. Other than that, no complaints. Food is great. It was one of the reasons we chose this resort, that is, the comments about the food were generally leaning towards very good. I have to concur, 100%. Very tasty, yes, Jamaican jerk is a common theme, but it wasn't just all that. The chef does an excellent job of providing variety within the constraints of being a smaller hotel. There was always salad at the salad station. The ambiance of this place cannot be understated. If you are total party type, forget this place. If you like a quiet place where you can relax, get to know people if you want to, mingle with other guests freely, again, only if you want to, then this place is idea. We met a musical couple from the Montreal area who both entertained us on the grand piano in the lobby (even though there's a sign saying please don't play the piano -- nobody cared, and no one stopped us or interrupted). The staff is laid back. They watch out for security, but let you do your thing. The staff are very friendly and treat you right. Kelly does a great job on the beach with the equipment and life-guarding. Overall the experience was extremely positive for us. We would go back there. You know, if there's some painting needed or decorative touch applied here and there, it's not important in the overall scheme of things. Cleanliness, friendliness of staff, beach, food and ambiance, these are things that matter, and the SPBH has all of that. I gave it a 5 star to counteract all the negative reviews from the whiners (who obviously read these reviews before they go, and so still chose to go :-)). It's really a 3 1/2 star as ratings go, but the cleanliness of rooms and maid service, 5 star, food, 5 star for taste and preparation in my book (just the warming thing), ambiance 5 star, beach lovely and 5 star, what more do you need. Overall appearance and state of repari and upgrading, less than 5 star. If you don't like the noisy party scene, 5 star definitely.

7  Thank RikiEric
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just returned from weeks stay at this hotel. First the good. Beachfront rooms are steps to beach. Rooms are clean, no bugs. Food is good but variety is an issue. Nice for a quiet vacation.
This hotel is dated and tired, in need of major upgrades. The pool was unusable for our entire stay, simply because no one bothered to clean it no matter how many times we questioned the staff. The terrace and bar area has very outdated and broken, uncomfortable wooden chairs that have been repaired many times. No matter how hard we tried we could not get staff to play music around bar to liven things up a bit. Bar staff will not leave bar area to serve drinks unless a tour from cruise ship arrives and then they serve people on tour and ignore regular hotel guests. Rooms had an ongoing issue with hot water and no water for an entire afternoon. While rooms are clean be prepared for no counter space in bathrooms for toiletries.
This is not a 3 and half star hotel.i would only recommend it if upgrades were completed.

4  Thank Kevin T