“The worst and dirtiest hotel i had ever see in my life”

Sand Castles Resort
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
West Palm Beach, Florida
“The worst and dirtiest hotel i had ever see in my life”
Reviewed February 14, 2012

I would not recommend this resort for no human been this is the dirties hotel i had ever seen , I book a vacation to Jamaica on February 10 ,2012 , with stay at the Sand Castle Resort I book my hotel room @hotel.com , on my arrival at the hotel , standing @ the front desk could not find a guest service agent to check us in , while we were there some one came and ask, are you looking for a room ?" I have a room to rent if you need a room" , this was scary i responded no , i am hear to check in, i have a reservations . The guest agent came and check us in we waited about 30 minutes before someone take us to the room . upon arrival at the room the room has mold and roach it also smell stink , it was not what i paid for on hotel.com i wanted 2beds they were offering one , i refuse to stay in a room in that condition so i ask for a change of room, i was told i cannot get a change of room , because none is available , so i kindly ask to have a refund so i could go some where else . I was ask to wait a few minutes , after waiting a lady and the front desk agent offer me another room but with an option to pay the full price for that room , I was told i have to wait 2-3 weeks to have my money refunded back to me , I refuse that offer . They gave me a change of room with no hot water . I was getting really tired and frustrated not knowing anyone in Ocho Rios so i accept the offer . The next day approximately 12:00 A.M. I heard banging on the door someone telling me i have to leave the room because its a private room and they need their money . I had to pack my stuff and i was given another room that was very dirty and has roach . I was treated like a piece of dirty material , just going from one place to the other . My worst ever experience . This place need to close down, mold and roach can make you sick, even can be deadly , in 2 days i had been in three rooms they all have mold and roach this is not good for your health.

Room Tip: None go some where else
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
7 Thank MONICA F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I read some of the reviews.. Oh my! MY experience was much different.

I booked directly from the owner on flipkey.. and lucked out on Studio D11 from the owner. On arrival, It was exactly as I had imagined it based on the pics online. I had no regret!
Great apartment, perhaps one of the very best. It is a studio apartment, and it was suited for me and mine. Cozy, CLEAN, and well maintained.

I build my own trip - that work out to be cost effective to do all the excursions, eating at several restaurants in Ochy.

Honestly, it is not a 5 star resort. But there are some really nice units that are privately owned and well maintained by the owners.

It's a bargain deal, so shop around, I would definitely stay at Studio D11 again.
Chao~

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robin T
NJ
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Toward the bottom of this review I tell you about how my Mother contracted this horrible illness from this pace. I may should have started with that...

The location of this property is great if you like to go off on your own. There are shops, bars, cafes, and places to eat surrounding you.(Mothers is quick, cheap, and ok.) There is a small "store" on the right side of the hotel the food is AMAZING! The beach is very close only a 1-3 min. walk. If you want to just relax at the hotel you will be bored! The "pool side bar" they boast was not open the whole time I was there, The pool is very small with hours of operation. I ignored the sign and went in anyway only to be yelled at and forced to get out. The bar in the lobby is nice but had no one working it. Upon check in I waited about a half hour until someone finally came to the desk. The place is fairly priced which is why I went there to begin with. VERY run down! I had no hot water and my toilet was backed up and flooded the restroom. They did switch rooms for me. The new room also had no hot water. Not much of a big deal b/c its hot anyway I was able to deal with it but my showers were quick! I ate there once believe me that was more than enough! The beds look and feel to be at least 50 or so years old. My mother contracted the Dangie fever (not correct spelling) while we were there due to the unsanitary conditions and the septic (check your showers once in a while!) backing up. This is a place for the locals to go hang out and get away. As I said before it is a great location and cheap but there are SO many reasons why I switched hotels to the Riu in Ochie for my Mother to recover which took several weeks. It was horrible it was to the point I thought she may die from this. Bleeding, vomiting, hallucinating, severe sweats, chills, and so so so much more! Fortunately the Riu has a "Dr." on staff at all times. I would recommend spending the extra $ to go anywhere but here! They did not offer us anything in a way of compensation for our horrible stay or for my mothers illness. I contacted the appropriate authorities (which was NOT EASY!) for the sanitation of this hotel and it was closed down the next day. That should tell you something huh? Good luck and enjoy your stay in Jamaica Mon! I have been to Jamaica a lot, if you need any help please feel free to contact me at : SweetAnnoyance@yahoo.com

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank ShayD80

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Springfield
Reviewed January 6, 2012

THE GOOD: It's a relatively good bargain (but not for you if you want the pool boy to bring you an umbrella drink). Well-maintained gardens: pretty even, if you are into tropical plants. Convenient location in Ocho Rios: walking distance to attractions in the area that kept me occupied for several days: beach front, shopping, movies, restaurants, craft market. No problems with security during stay, rooms cleaned daily, breakfast ok, with slow but very attentive waiters. Privately owned suites have more amenities and furnishings and are WAY better maintained than hotel run-rooms.

THE BAD: Have to go around property to beach because hotel does not have direct access to the beach front even though it is very close. Back access from property to road parallel to beach has limited hours; minor inconvenience- it takes about 3 minutes to go around, so no sweat. Unlike other hotels nearby, SC does not offer beach chairs, so I had to rent one daily. Hotel rooms had only one key, so sharing a room required dropping off the key at the front desk to give roommate access when we had different schedules, which would be no problem if the front desk was manned full-time, but that was not the case....sometimes patrons had to wait for about 5 - 10 minutes (although it seemed like an eternity) before someone came out to the front desk. You're supposed to ring a bell to alert the staff in the inner room, but there were clearly gaps in coverage. Stayed in a hotel-managed room. Hot water hot or miss, same thing for wifi access. Tried to call hotel several times while away from premises, phone was either not picked up (probably because no one was at the front desk at the time), or transfer was botched.

THE UGLY: Management response to problems with room requiring significant maintenance: APPALLING.

Room Tip: Book a privately owned room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Les_Bots
Toronto
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Lovely hotel to stay if you want something small. It's like having your own apartment in the city. Most suites are equipt with dishes, cups, a fridge. It's like being home away from home.
There is a Jamaican restaurant just outside the entrance of the restaurant and the food is excellent.
The drinks at the bar is very expensive. So buy at the supermarket. This hotel is located close to everything. Worth the stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank JinX13
Bristol
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We stayed here as a family of 2 adults and 2 children in 2010 our accomadation was basic but provided us with what we needed. Staff were very helpful, cleaner named jenifer could not do enough for us. Swimming pool a bit small but beach is so close it did not bother us. Great location lots of great places to see and eat.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank KelcoBristol
Reviewed October 26, 2011

After reading these reviews 2days before I set off I was very tempted just to cancel my whole holiday!

I am delighted to say I had a wonderful experience at this hotel. My room was very modern and decorated to a high standard (although I did privately rent through a owner). Location is spot on. The security are fantastic - one of my friends stayed in another hotel she couldn't even get passed the front gate without being stopped from going any further without authority from me!

Through the back gate is more or less entry straight onto the beach.

I can't wait to go back to Jamaica - I will definitely be staying in this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2011