“Stay away from Wynfield Villa - the owners are dishonest”
Review of Mammee Bay Villas

Mammee Bay Villas
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ocho Rios
Mammee Bay Villas
Tallahassee, Florida
“Stay away from Wynfield Villa - the owners are dishonest”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We rented this villa as an all inclusive vacation - including food and drink. When we arrived at 4:30 in the afternoon on Saturday, there was nothing in the house to eat or drink except for some sweet bun and tin cheese, even though we had advised that our arrival time would be early afternoon. Since there was no food for dinner until the housekeeper went shopping, dinner was not served until after 9:00 that evening. Since we were traveling with small children, this was completely unacceptable and not what we agreed to in our contract. Additionally, since we were traveling with children, including a year old baby, we stressed the importance of and were guaranteed that there would be a gate around the pool and a pool alarm to help ensure the baby's safety. Imagine our dismay when none of these safeguards were in place. During dinner, the electrical wires coming into the house broke and caused a fire outside the house - resulting in barely any electricity, including no air conditioning - causing everyone, especially the children, to have an extremely uncomfortable night. Additionally, the live wires were left unattended right outside the house. This was not repaired until mid-day the next day. On Monday, the food situation continued to be a problem until the housekeeper finally went out at 5 PM to purchase groceries. We had a telephone discussion with Susan, the local manager, that night stating our displeasure and during that conversation, she arbitrarily cancelled the all inclusivity of our contract. The next day, while we were out, she unlawfully trespassed into our house without our knowledge or permission and took out whatever food and alcohol that was remaining in the house and left $300 on the table as a "refund" for the food. To add insult to injury, and as a way of rationalizing her actions and the amount of the "refund", Susan also said that she did not include meals for the 1 year old baby in the rental rate. She then stated that she withheld an additional $350 for gratuity for staff which was already supposed to be included in the rental of the villa. Interestingly enough, when we mentioned to the staff what the gratuity included in the rent was, they were shocked. Apparently, they do not receive all of the gratuity that is supposed to be allocated to them if they receive any at all. Susan had also promised before arrival that $250 of our rent would be refunded for the airport transfer that we did not use since we rented a vehicle. She later refused to refund this money. The incident of her entering the house without permission was reported to the police. However, she has been unable to be found by local police. Oasis Places, the English company, based in London, that controls this and many other villas in Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and Negril, point blank refused to refund us any of our money. Additionally, the Jamaica Tourist Board stated that they could do nothing to enforce the contract. My advice if you go to Jamaica and rent a villa is to be careful about where you are renting at - to do research and get recommendations from other people who have stayed there. Especially, avoid any vacation destinations controlled by Oasis Places. If you are unhappy with your stay or if someone has trespassed into your rental, you will receive no assistance from the Jamaica Tourist Board. Because the controlling company is based in England, you will receive no satisfaction unless you are willing to travel and arbitrate in England at an additional trememdous cost. You might want to consider renting from an American firm, where you at least have a fighting chance of receiving satisfaction if displeased.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
19 Thank leah300
mbvja, Manager at Mammee Bay Villas, responded to this review, October 15, 2010
response:
The guests made a complaint to the police which was investigated, it involved taking witness statements from the villa staff about the availability of food and prepared meals; the police found there was no case. It is not true that the police cannot find the manager who has been in contact with the police in relation to this matter.

It is untrue to say that the Jamaican Tourist Board were unable to take action. In fact, the JTB visited the property unannounced to inspect the quality, they spoke with the staff about the guests’ stay and the complaints that were made, they have had sight of the Contract and the various communications that clarified the price breakdown and inclusions – they looked for the problems that the guests said were experienced, lack of baby equipment for one and found that the allegations were unfounded; they confirmed that they would be taking no further action.

The rental agent inspected the villa immediately following the guest’s departure – they undertook a health and safety audit, requested to see the food purchase receipts, they undertook interviews, and even a statement from the wholesaler which confirmed the dates and times the food was purchased. The agent spoke directly with the sergeant of the local police; the agent was unable to uphold the guests’ allegations.

The facts are:

The meal plan was available from the arrival time; food was replenished periodically to maintain the plan; the guests insisted on requesting items outside of the plan which the villa staff provided, with the managers permission; the evening meal was not ready when the guests arrived late afternoon and they were provided with a snack of spice bun, cheese, fruits, juice and bottled water they were served their evening meal between 6.30 and 7.30pm. Wholesale quantities of food were purchased commencing the day before arrival. The documented availability of food, the range and amount of food/drink/snacks has been at odds with the guests’ account.

There was an incident on the arrival night involving electrical wires in the garden area, an electrician attended that same night to ensure things were safe and returned the following day to complete the work – there were certainly no live wires left unattended.

All baby equipment was available from arrival (baby monitor, high chair, crib) save the pool alarm which was provided on day 2; this was due to an oversight and we can agree with the guest here that there was a period of time (1 day) when they did not have the pool alarm which was immediately provided when the guest indentified the omission with staff.

The report found

The expectation of the guests to purchase a discounted all-inclusive plan and yet expect a full price refund of each element of the plan was unreasonable.

It was unreasonable to expect a refund in relation to meals and yet continue to consume the meal plan.

The guests were in agreement with stopping the meal plan.

The refunded pro-rated food costs were correct.

The suggestion that staff are not paid their gratuities (in part or at at all) has been verified with the staff themselves as being untrue.

Wynfield villa is available for rent via a number of agents including some in the US the villa has served guests from the US, Canada, UK, Germany, China, and Korea.

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I was designated the coordinator of our group vacation in June 2008. Our first stop was the Holiday Inn in Montego Bay – I have written a review of this hotel on Trip Advisor.
I did a great deal of research on which Caribbean Island to visit and then where to stay and so was looking forward to our stay at a villa in Ocho Rios. Mammee Bay was highly recommended by a long standing member on the Jamaica forum and my further research indicated that it would be a good choice – there were two villas on our shortlist which were very good value; Kima and Wynfield but as Wynfield was a better fit for the size of our group and had received good reviews, we decided to book.

Having stayed a week in Montego Bay prior to arriving in Ocho Rios, we were used to the wonderful landscape and driving along the coast. It took 1 hour and was an easy ride.

THE GOOD
Where should I begin. A villa is worlds away from any hotel – apples and oranges. This was a unique experience, we wanted for nothing the service was excellent, warm and welcoming, beds crisply made, towels replaced promptly, mouthwatering meals everything was delivered with care, expertise and style.

The villa appears plain whilst approaching, the gardens are well tended. Inside you immediately notice how clean and comfortable it is – I found it to be perfect and just what I had hoped for. The villa accommodated eight adults comfortably.

I miss the staff whenever I think of the good time we had there we stayed just a week but they were so friendly they were great.

The villa is a walk away from Mammee Bay – a very pretty beach, ideal for catching rays, we were able to jet ski and also arranged to go bonefishing early one morning we had a fabulous time and caught wahoo and barracuda. Basic snorkel gear is provided at the villa and we snorkelled off the beach before breakfast too

There’s an Irish theme pub which has exceptionally good live entertainment – the drinks
are not local prices but there appeared to be a good mix of locals and hotel guests there – again, great time and it’s not too far to get home from.

Dunns River Falls was a blast – there’s nothing like it.
Hill Side Quad Biking!!

THE NOT SO GOOD
I didn’t enjoy shopping in Ocho Rios – it’s a little crazy - after the first trip we left this to the staff to do –we thought of better things to occupy our time – pool, beach…We went to the bar in town though and stayed from afternoon until night!!

I wish we had spent more time there and travelled out more

MY RECOMMENDATIONS
There were so many places to go I would suggest planning beforehand so you don’t miss out
Get a good local driver, we had one in Montego Bay and this makes a real difference
Places to visit Dunns River Falls, Irish Rover, Golf at Upton Country Club

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
6 Thank adara1
Chelmsford
Reviewed February 29, 2008

We have just returned from Wynfield villa in Jamaica after eight glorious days there. Our holiday was booked by my husband who usually takes care of all the arrangements. Whilst we travel often – school holidays permitting, this was our first time in Jamaica and I was not initially happy about travel time from airport to accommodation but went with an open mind and by the time we set off we were all extremely excited. The excitement waned somewhat halfway through our long flight.

The airport was a breeze and in no time we were through the various checks and united with our driver, Peter. We stopped enroute for some food which was a mistake although we did not know this at the time. I do not know exactly where we stopped (recommended by Peter) but the food was good – chicken, fries, rice – and quick.

I had heard accounts of bad roads – but the road is in excellent condition. We reached the villa in much less than the two hours we had expected (aside from our stop); and it’s such a lovely journey. We were welcomed by the staff there which was strange at the time – a bit like going to a party and not knowing anyone – they were clearly waiting for us and had ready a jug of cold juice. The frenzied choosing of rooms began with the children although I should say they chopped, and swapped several times whilst we were there. Our Manager, Winsum advised us that they would be ready to serve dinner once we had the chance to freshen up – well, we were full and our mistake realised. This was a bit embarrassing.

The villa is extremely nice, I had been apprehensive as it is described as a tropical, older property which could suggest anything really. It is very well kept, clean and some considerate details that were greatly appreciated. The staff are clearly proud of what they do – they are so very keen to please and we became very fond of them during our short time there. There is a webpage for this villa that talks about the staff and I can say that this was our experience too.

The things that struck us about the villa:
Homely without clutter
Cleanliness
Hubby and I had a bed the size of our room at home! Extremely comfortable and a touch of luxury with drapery. There’s a bed like this downstairs also.
The professionalism of the staff

Niggles:
I would like comfy cushions on the patio sun loungers
There is a quirky set up with the television – there is a ‘light switch’ that switches the bedroom TV on. There is no cable service in the bedrooms only in the lounge you can get local channels in the bedrooms but there are DVD players so this helps.

Mammee Bay was a good location for us – the agent arranged our hire car delivery direct to the villa. We were able to go to the beach most days – this was within walking distance – there were a couple of hotels too within walking distance but we did not get to go to those.

We drove to the Town – its not far and to Dunns Waters which was a great exhilarating experience – that water Sooo Cold! I didn’t make it to the top but hubby did – so we’ll have to listen to his recount of the expedition for years to come. The children swam with dolphins; this can get quite pricey but is a once in a lifetime experience and the dolphins (and kids) were well cared for. I think you can get away with not having a car.

We ate out just once at an Italian restaurant called Evita’s its located at the edge of Town and served good food a mixture of American, Italian and Jamaican dishes which is ideal for us and I gather that Evita herself is somewhat of a celebrity in the area if the pictures on the restaurant wall are anything to go by. We also grabbed a takeaway at a Jerk place near to the Villa – this was tasty.

We visited the Harmony Art Gallery – I had been looking forward to this and I was left rather disappointed – I would describe it more as an Art shop. Wassi art did not disappoint and I found a small ‘bargain’.

Things that struck me about Jamaica
It truly is beautiful – the beaches, the mountains,
The people are really friendly with the very rare exception
The relaxed take on things – Chill Out!

Niggles:
Jamaica is a poor country (general) – there is poverty and you see it
Hustling or hassling is an occupation and given the chance some Jamaicans will hustle you – we had our strategy sorted.
We were not severely bitten by mosquitos but we did have few between us - I thanked god for our mozzie nets and the repellent we were advised to bring with us.

Our holiday home was in a good area – Wynfield is a typical house where most are large and very nice BUT there are some of the villas that are WoW, WoW! I am not sure how much they cost.

We have some good pictures which I will load here. I would certainly recommend Jamaica to others. If you are looking for a large well-priced villa near the beach and town then I would highly recommend Wynfield; If you have a larger budget go for one of the beachside villas.

• Liked — Comfort and Staff
  • Disliked — Loungers that got harder by the hour!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank Louette
New England, USA
Reviewed August 17, 2003

We recently returned from our third stay at Riviera Villa in Mammee Bay Estate and have come to consider it home in Jamaica. Riviera is an older, well-maintained, spotlessly clean three bedroom, four bath villa. It has a large yard with lovely gardens and a very private pool.
The villa staff pamper you, but give you as much privacy as you need too. Mammee Bay is a friendly, safe area with a lovely beach and beach club within the estate. I highly recommend the area to those looking for a villa holiday. There are many villas within the estate available for rent at a wide range of prices, from moderate to luxury.

12 Thank Ms.L
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2003

I and my group (eight people total) stayed at Villa D'Este in Mammee Bay in November and I cannot discribe the wonerful time we had. First, after reliving "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" from Montego Bay, we arrived at the villa about 6:00 PM and was greeted by the best staff I have ever experenced anywhere. Entering the "H" shaped house, our fears and cares instantly disappeared. Game room, Dining room, bed rooms, Den, Living room, ect.. Plenty of room. At least two acres of grounds with pool and tennis court. The club down the street, water sports, the beautiful Carribean, the hidden garden in the center of the house. Only went out once because the food cooked for us at the house was wonderful. We could not even get our clothes dirty. Each morning all our clothes were picked up, washed ironed folded, and placed on our beds befor dinner. The staff did everything but carry us adound on thrones. Cost for the entire trip, trinkets, gifts, food, drink, airfair and the beautiful, private villa, less than $1,000 each. UNBELIEVABLE!

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Mammee Bay Villas? Share your experiences!