This was our 4th Sandals visit and probably our last. We didn't really understand the difference between the Manor and Riviera sides of the resort before arriving. We were booked for a Manor side "Plantation Villa Suite", which turned out to be a former time share building on the opposite side of Main St., Ocho Rios from the ocean. Due to the distance from the beach and water sports activities (and the millipedes that shared our villa), we requested a change to the Riviera side of the resort. Our request was accommodated, but we had to take a downgrade in accommodations to make the change. We gladly signed the waiver form stating that we agreed to a downgrade (giving up a couple hundred $US) just to get closer to the beach. After signing the waiver, we asked the staff at the Soon Come Back desk if we could apply the difference in cost between the Plantation Villa Suite and the downgraded Riviera side accommodations to our next Sandals visit if we booked right then. This seemed like a very reasonable request to the desk staff, but their managers didn't agree. We thought that Sandals "Select" returning guests might have been granted this small accommodation to maintain an established long term relationship, but even the SGOR General Manager didn't take the long view on the subject.
So, enough about shoddy treatment of returning guests. Regarding SGOR:
- The food was fine. Not 5 star, but you shouldn't expect that anyway.
- The beach was not that great. A confined area with a somewhat rocky bottom.
- The front line staff were wonderful - tried as hard as they could to be helpful.
- The grounds on the Riviera side are beautiful - not so much on the Manor side.
- Morning fitness classes that used to be free are now only available through the Red Lane Spa for extra $. Red Lane staff seem to be getting more aggressive in marketing their services.
- The facilities are getting a little long in the tooth and in need of refreshing.
- Maintenance staff who don't interact with guests seem unmotivated. A glass was dropped and broken during dinner one night at the Reef Terrace Restaurant. Broken glass was still evident the next morning so we mentioned it to kitchen staff. The broken glass was still there in the afternoon. This is in a area with bare foot traffic.
- Complimentary use of an internet connected PC, or better yet, complimentary wireless internet access, would be nice guest friendly touches, but as with the exercise classes, Sandals is wringing every last $ out of their guests
All in all, a generally mediocre experience. We won't "Soon Come Back".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Situated on over 100 acres of lush hillside gardens overlooking the Caribbean Sea•529 villas, luxury rooms and suites with fantastic mountain and ocean views•94 pools (7 large public pools), 22 whirlpools•16 dining options including room service for butler serviced suites•2 luxurious Red Lane Spas•Complimentary golf at Jamaica’s most elite and popular golf course, the Sandals Golf & Country Club (Transfers to the golf course are included)•Over 5,000 sq. feet of first class meeting and conference facilities•Recently completed US$60 million renovation/refurbishing exercise•Voted Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row•Voted Sandals Grande Riviera ‘Jamaica’s Leading Resort’ ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Sandals Ochi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach And Villa Golf Resort
- Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Hotel Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ocho Rios
- Ciboney Ocho Rios
- Sandals Ochi Beach Resort Jamaica/Ocho Rios