“Fabulous Trip...”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
atlanta
“Fabulous Trip...”
Reviewed November 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I just came back from Sandals Ocho Rios for my 28th birthday. This is our 3rd time but 5 stay at a sandals location. We have stayed at all the locaitons in Jamaica. Ocho Rios was great. the food and service was excellant. THe playmakers and staff was fun and made my trip very enjoyable. The activities was extradinary.. this is such a great all inclusive activity package., coudlnt ask for anything better. I would defnitly recommend this to anyone. And if you have a family you can stay at Beaches resorts which is great as well.

1 Thank brownsugarga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,475)
Outer Banks, NC
Reviewed November 19, 2009

This trip was our honeymoon... we wanted relaxing & fun. Sandals Grande Ocho Rios fits the bill!! The food was unbelievable & the service was beyond compare! Everyone was polite & helpful & so happy. Can't say enough good things about our trip.

Bartlett, Tn
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My husband & I went to this resort to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We did not have a Honeymoon had not ever done anything just for us. We really wanted this to be special. I planned the trip 6 months in advance and was very excited. When we first got there, we were quite pleased with the concierge service. They immediately treated us like royalty. When I got to the room, not so much. Our room had a couple of issues, but when we told the concierge, he immediately had our room assignment changed. The next morning we met the concierge we would deal with most, Georgia. She made us feel not only like we were special, but like we were "family", and being from the south, this made a BIG impression on us. We fell in love with her. She ALWAYS seemed to go above and beyond, and ALWAYS with a smile. We were also very pleased with our housekeeper, Dawnette, she paid attention to how we liked things & the room was always perfect when we came in. Our favorite waiter was Wayne at The Reef restaurant, he was entertaining as well as making us feel as though we were his only table even though he had MANY others. We went on 3 tours while there and had the same driver for 2 of them, Howard with JUTA, I had mentioned that I loved Juci Patties, & would love to get some. When he dropped us off for shopping, he went & picked up some Patties for me before picking us back up. Back on property, one of the Jitney drivers, Earl, overheard me say to someone that we were going to walk around & take some pictures, so he took us to a beautiful spot & he took our camera & took about 20 lovely pictures of the 2 of us together. If you've ever been on a couples trip, you know that you don't ever get many of those. Last but not least, Kerry Ann from the Soon Come Back desk had been in on a conversation the night before we left about my liking Juci Patties & "Bag Juice". Well, during my last couple of hours before heading to the airport, she got with Kaydean, (concierge mgr), and they found me sitting at the grill eating lunch & brought me sack from out in town with "Bag Juice" in it. As you can see, these people went above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay wonderful and to make us feel like we mattered to them.

3 Thank donniern
Brandon, FL
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My husband and I just returned from Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. We purchased the butler package and wouldn't change a thing. We stayed on the Manor side in one of the single story villas, which we absolutely loved. We also had awesome neighbors which we visited with just about every afternoon. Having the Butler made the trip more worth our money. A fully stocked bar and frig full of drinks. We enjoyed several excursions and even hit the spa before we left. If you go you should hit Mystic Mountain. You can ride in your very own bobsled or even zip through the mountain top on the tip line. They also have a resturant onsite as well as a pool with slide. We never had to wait in line at the resturants and all we did was tell the Butler what we wanted to do and he booked everything for us. It was a very relaxing trip and we plan to go back! If you choose to get the Butler package ask for Kesmit & Sheldon. The were the best. Every night you would find something new in your room. The only resturant we seemed to have issues with was the Marketplace Resturant. They were very slow and my drink always seemed to be empty. If you like Asian go to Orchids, it was awesome. We also went to the Dunn's River Resort one night for dinner and ate at Marco Polo, it was also great. Overall we had an awesome honeymoon!

1 Thank ajenkins48
Stuart, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2009

My wife and I just got back from a 6 day stay at Sandals Grande Ocho Rios. We had a great time. The resort is beautiful and large. It is split up into two sides. The manor side which is up on the hill and the riviera side which is the beach side. We stayed in the cottages on the riviera side and loved our room. We were with easy walking distance to the beach and five restaurants and the grills. There are two swim up pools on the riviera side as well as 2 smaller pools. The manor side has the larger pool with swim up bar which was more active during the day than the two on the riviera side. The two sides are easily accessed by bus which comes around every 10 minutes. The food was definately not 5 star but it was 3-4 star depending on which restaurant you eat at. The room was small but nice and well kept. It was perfect for us and very quit. We did meet one couple who was staying on the manor side in a villa (loft type room). They got broken into in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. Said that they couldn't latch the chain, it was broken. Everything of value was stolen plus their passports. Said management was not much help....but it had only been 24 hours. Just a warning to those staying in these type of rooms...villas with upstairs and downstairs. Lock your doors and chain it....if Chain doesn't work request a room change. I read on other reviews before we left that this had happened at this resort to someone else in the same type of rooms...might be an inside job. We used our safe and didn't have any problems in the cottage room and felt completely safe. My wife and I had a great time but I feel everyone should know about the break in. If we hadn't met the couple on the bus we would have never know. Also, don't expect lighting fast service if you do don't go. We are laid back people and waiting a few minutes didn't bother us. The grill also ran out of chicken burgers (our favorite) and Jerk pork for a few days. If you can accept these incoveniences and keep your valuables in a safe you will have a great time. Also, We went on the Dunn's River Fall's boat excersion and had a blast. It is a must do!

2 Thank scottyuf
Maryland
Reviewed November 17, 2009

We went to Sandals Grande Ocho Rios for a four night get away. We have both been to several other Sandals properties before and had high expectations. We stayed in the Manor House building and our room was pretty small but the furnishings/decor and cleanliness made up for the diminutive size. Staying in the Main building turned out to be really good because we were close to everything we needed. Some friends we met were staying up on the hill and had quite a walk to the main building. They said the Jittney service was slow. There are two sides to this property and there was never a problem with getting a quick shuttle to the "beach side."
The staff was very friendly, the spa was excellent (we went back for a second couples massage), the scuba staff was awesome, the crew on the Snorkel/Dunns River catamaran was a lot of fun, the food was excellent and the property was really pretty. We loved it and will go back again... but not until I have seen the rest of the Sandals properties... and maybe a Beaches or two??

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Spent our honeymoon here from November 9 through November 12. We were married in Negril at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay on November 7, 2009 with tons of friends and family there to share many moments with. My review might be bias to the Riu resort because of the 5 days of non-stop fun we had there so take that into account but here is how I would describe Sandals Grande:

Between both the Riviera and the Manor, we felt the grounds were just so populated and massive. After seemingly having a resort to ourselves in Negril, Sandals was overwhelming with couples. I was unimpressed with the beach. It has little pockets of nice sand but there are too many water sport activities that the resort tries to cram into these spots. Go early to get a chair to lay out.

The food is awesome and the way they do the first come first serve dinner reservations is a neat concept. We ate at both Italian retaurants and they were great. The "Arizona" is a Southwest themed restaurant and I heard the food is ok. It is right on the boardwalk and looks out to the ocean at sunset which is rad.

I beg you to stay away from the Bayside cafe if at all possible. The food is good but it seems that the service there is just bad. You have to wait to be seated when tables are every where and even to get coffee can take quite a while. I hate saying this but compared to all the great service Sandals has, the service at this one spot is noticeabley sub-par.

I will tell you that after having a destination wedding and non-stop partying, by the time we got to "Ochi" (as the locals refer), we were worn out. A lot of couples we met did the "booze cruise" on the red Sandals ship which is an all day event including food and a trip to the falls. We did not do this but regret not. $90 a person.

All watersports are included at no extra charge which is cool. Talk to "Sticky" on the watersports staff. He knows what's up. Also, please snorkle. It is always cool.

This resort does not encourage tipping and is stingy with breaking big bills so PLEASE bring dollar bills if you feel inclined.

The Sports Bar on the Riviera side is really cool and we spent a lot fo time there. Shericka is a great bartender and make sure you meet my boy Omar.

At the swim up pool bars, Charmaine, Venroy, Dajohn, and Erron will hook it up and I beg anyone to ask them about, "Scaramoochie" and get a "Bob Marley" shot to drink. They'll instantly know and will have a riot.

I totally recommend the spa and couples massage as my wife and I did it and it was great. Very relaxing which is what we needed.

Please, take my advice and enjoy yourself here. Jamaican people are awesome and as you can see from my review, I met a lot of staff and they are very perceptive if you are nice and respectful, they will take care of you.

E-mail me if you have any further questions.

2 Thank zgrez
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!