“Awesome!”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Atlanta
“Awesome!”
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Spent 4 days and nights at Sandals, Ocho rios. It was our first time at Sandals and all inclusinve. It was a great expereince. Staff was super friendly, lots to do, room was excellent with ocean views. The only negative was that our room was over the restaurant and the staff prepared the tables at 5:00am every morning waking us with clanging dishes etc. Food was not gourmet but adequate. Ate outside 3 of the 4 nights which was incredible! We'll go back to Sandals on another vaca for sure.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pommard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,562)
Springfield
Reviewed November 3, 2009

I always take reviews with a grain of salt, good or bad. This was our first time at a Sandals or any all inclusive & the 65% discount that was offered made this a good value. So now the review. Sandals treated us well at the airport & quickly got us on the bus. For me the 2 hour ride while long, was not arduous. The cold towels & champain which greeted us at the hotel was nice & while I appreciated the briefing, I would just as soon skip it & just go to check-in so I can start my vacation. We stayed in a Riviera Premium room, it was clean & comfortable. There were no bugs, good air conditioning, nice hot shower, & ample maid service every day. FOOD, this seems to be the biggest controversy. The breakfast buffet is awesome. I read a lot of comments about not all places being open & long waits to in some places. Sandals posts the schedule daily of the restaurants & if you check this schedule there will be no surprises. On Fridays there is a huge beach party with an enormous buffet, in order to pull this off I'm sure staff is taken from the other restaurants, and for this reason not all are open. This also occurs on Mondays when they put on a huge street party. So again I stress that if you check the schedule you can plan accordingly. Generally the food is good, I do think that in Sandals parlance, fine dining means nice ambiance, & pleasant service; however, not gormet cooking. You can do as little or as much as you want at Sandals either during the day or at night. Piano bars, great shows, poolside games, beachside water sports, golf etc.
If you want a nice place to stay where you can either just relax or be as active as you want while being treated like a king, try SGOR, you will enjoy it.

8 Thank TonDon
toronto, Ontario
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My wife and I always choose Sandals Resorts for our anniversary getaways.
At Sandals Grande Ocho Rios, we were a bit disappointed in the small size of our room even with an upgrade from Deluxe to Luxury, but the room was clean and the maid service excellent.
All the resort staff were very friendly and helpful,especially Kerian,our Sandals Select representative,
and Shelly Ann in the Bayside Restaurant.
The beach directly in front of the hotel was small and gravelly,but great for snorkeling directly off the beach. The beach on both sides of the main beach were better,with finer sand and more oceanfront.
We also took the resort snorkeling boat to an interesting shipwreck.
The resort restaurants were very good, especially the Arizona restaurant where we went twice for their delicious steaks. We enjoyed the weekly seafood buffet.
Although it rained heavily almost the entire week of our vacation, the resort staff friendliness and enthusiasm made our vacation fun!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nikon1
Maryland
Reviewed October 31, 2009

This was my boyfriend and I's first stay at a Sandals resort and to sum things up, read all reviews before you go and your vacation will exceed your expectations.We did our research prior to leaving and this prepared us for a "B-" experience.However, we were pleasantly surprised.
We stayed on the villa side, which I would highly recommend.This, to us was better groomed and maintained.Being that this property was purchased after the beach side, it is to be expected.The room was clean, bottles of alcohol greeted us in the kitchen and the air conditioners worked great.We were lucky enough to have a villa very close to the Manor pool, which allowed us to walk versus needed a jitney.
The pool on the Manor side is great.Service from the swim up bar at this pool could be better, but overall the staff was typically happy to serve.If you want them to dislike you, order a mojito which starts a landslide....but it's a nice change from the Jamaican Smile.
We rented a cabana one day and that was a treat.Daron was awesome and even took care of us several days following our cabana experience.For $75 it is nice to have someone bring you breakfast and lunch and grab some shade from the hot, humid weather as well as provide a covering from a short shower here and there.
The restaurants were another thing people tended to complain about.Orchids recevied horrible reviews, but to be honest, the dinner was edible and had good flavor.They even allowed my boyfriend in with flip flops since we hadn't been planning on dining there. Our favorite was San Gennaro's.Defnitely went there twice and enjoyed our meals.Valentino's was nice as well.We recommend going early to all the fancy restaurants and you shouldn't have a problem getting a table.We loved the atmosphere of the tex-mex restaurant, on the pier and all, but this had the longest wait by far (p.s. they always over quote the wait time).My dinner was over-cooked but not horrible.
As for excursions, we only did one and absolutely loved it...Dunns River Falls.We did the kat cruise through the resort and snorkeling after the trip to the falls, but it was great.I highly recommend going to see the falls, but use the water shoes b/c you walk up the center of the falls to the top.
We were not honeymooners, just there for vacation and to relax...which we accomplished.The weather was great, hot and humid with the sun typically always shining.The Jamaicans were friendly as well.You know the phrase "Due unto others as you would want done to you?" Well this phrase holds true to service.If you're rude to the staff, I'm sure they will be rude back, but if you're nice and have a smile on your face...you will get the same in return.

10 Thank C3FAB
Ohio
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My husband and I went to SGOR for our first year anniversary. We went here for our honeymoon last year and loved it so much we couldn't see going anywhere else for our anniversary. We arrived on a Wednesday and were so glad. Last year we arrived on a Sunday and the immigration lines were VERY LONG. My advice is to travel during the week if possible. We zipped through immigration very quickly. We arrived at the Sandals lounge and grabbed a few drinks and snacks. We booked our trip through Matt Lanza from Jamaica Travel and he arranged for a complimentary private transfer to the resort. (I highly recommend him. We got to the resort. Checked in. Unpacked our luggage and put everything away. Went and ate lunch at the grill on the manor side. Checked out the resort and on our way back to our room, the bus from the airport was JUST getting dropped off.) The Sandals staff helped us find our driver. Once in the car, he had a gift for us. A bottle of champagne sitting in a cooler and handed us some cups to drink.
As we arrived, we were handed a wet cold towel and a glass of champagne. We were the only ones checking in at the time so check in was very quick. We had originally booked the riviera deluxe and got upgraded to the plantation 1 bedroom villa suite. We were unsure about being on the manor side. Last year we stayed on the riviera side in a cottage and loved it! But I do have to say that the manor side is just as nice. We were taken to our room in a jitney. It was the most beautiful drive with all the colorful trees, flowers, and plants. Our room had a bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, kitchen, balcony, and pool that we shared with 3 other rooms. It was BEAUTIFUL! It looked just like the pictures in the magazines and online. In the kitchen we had a fridge stocked with water, juices, wine, and beer. Also on the counter were 5 or 6 bottles of liquor. After we we unpacked our luggage we called for a jitney so we could grab a bite to eat. We went to the grill on the manor side. Had the best cajun fries ever! After we ate, we walked around the manor side and checked everything out along with the activity boards.
Back in our room, there was a knock on the door and it was an employee with her hands full saying "Welcome home!". She handed us a bottle of Appleton Jamaican Rum, Sandals Select tshirts, a plate with 2 cookies on it (which were very delicious by the way). The plate was decorated with chocolate and it said "welcome home". We were also handed an invitation to a Sandals Select cocktails and dinner party. About 5 minutes later we received a phone call from Caren (the director of guest services) asking us if we were going to be in our room because she had something to deliver to us. Caren and Jackie (the evening night manager) arrived with a plate of grapes & cheese. The plate was also decorated with flavored food gels. (It was a very colorful palm tree.) Caren said the Matt (our travel agent) emailed her saying that we would be staying there and told her to take good care of us and also in the letter they left with us said that if we needed ANYTHING to call her extension number. That night we ate at Bayside for dinner and then later went back to the manor side and watched a reggae band play and then grabbed a plate from the chocolate buffet and took it back to our room. Everything chocolate that we ate was amazing.
The next morning we ate breakfast at Marketplace. It was buffet style. Everything was delicious. I loved trying their different breakfast pizzas they had every morning. We ate here almost every morning. One morning we ate at Bayside which was also buffet style. Both are very good. After breakfast almost every morning we would just hang out at the pool and swim up bar. Unless there were activities we wanted to participate in. We went to a cooking class. Tried jerk chicken for the first time. It was fantatstic! We also did a scavenger hunt, name that tune, water sports regatta, pool volleyball, beach volleyball, and other activities. One morning we spent over on the riviera side and did a glass bottom boat ride, aqua trikes, 2 person canoe, and just swam in the ocean. That water is so clear.
We did have a problem with the air conditioner in our room. So we called Caren and she personally went and checked it out with maintenance. It got fixed but a couple of hours later the air coming out was not as cold again. Whoever answered her line connected me to her and she told me how she was at home but she would have Jackie move us to another room. I felt so bad that I had disturbed her at home and I apologized for it. And she said, "honey, you are not disturbing me. I just want to do everything I can to make your stay enjoyable." I thought to myself, "where else could we go that we could get this kind of service? Nowhere." So Jackie called us a few minutes later and said to pack our things up and she would be up shortly to help us move to a different room. She just wanted to first check the air conditioner in our new room to make sure it was blowing out cold air. It wasn't too far of a move. We just moved to a room downstairs. As we were moving, my husband went to grab his suitcase and Jackie told him that was not his job. we just laughed lol
The food was delicious everywhere we ate. Our favorite restaurant at SGOR is Arizona's. Last year the tables were on the beach. This year they moved the tables out on the boardwalk. Just as beautiful though. Bayside was good too. We asked Caren to make reservations for us at Kimono's for our anniversary dinner on Sunday. She suggested Marco Polo for our anniversary. She said it was alot more fancy and romantic. So we took her suggestion and had her book Kimono's at Dunn's River for Saturday night. Kimono's was Wonderful! Everything was so delicious! We were so glad we were able to get reservations. Before dinner we had an appointment to take sunset pictures. Our photographer Floyd asked where we were going for dinner and we told him. His response was "How did you get reservations? I was just talking to a couple earlier that said there weren't any openings til next wednesday." We told him Caren made them for us. He was like "OH that must be why". Sunday night we went to Marco Polo at Dunn's River. Caren was right! Very fancy and very romantic! white glove service. Perfect for our anniversary! My husband loved his surf n turf. I'm not a big seafood fan but his lobster was wonderful! After dinner that night we had time before the next shuttle came so we went to the pizzeria and ordered a pizza to take back to our room for snacking later. It is the best brick oven pizza ever! Those were all the restaurants we ate at. Also after our anniversary dinner when we came back to our room there was a bottle of champage, 2 glasses, a plate full of fresh fruit, and an anniversary card. It was so nice. The other nights there we went to the beach party and the street jamboree and ate at the buffets there. Once again, excellent food! We did not have anything that was not Delicious. I don't understand how people can complain about the food. Everything tastes homemade and very fresh. Speaking of fresh, the fresh fruit was amazing.! Especially the pineapple. We have never had pineapple so sweet.
Our room came with a spa credit. So we booked the scrub a dub dub two in a tub service. It was sooo wonderful! First we got full body exfoliations. Then we sat in a tub in a massage room that was surrounded by candles. They brought us champage. Very romantic. Then we got full body massages. We loved it and decided that we will always splurge at the spa whenever we are there.
The last night we were there we ate at the dinner party for Sandals Select members. When we sat down and I first looked at the menu I didn't think I'd like anything. But I decided to try everything anyway. When they brought the pumpkin soup out, i was very unsure about trying it but did anyway. It was delicious. I wanted more after I finished my bowl. Then came out the salad. Which I was for sure I would not like. The description was like a bed of leaves topped with tomato, pineapple, shrimp, and a dressing. But I tried it anyway. LOVED IT! I could eat it ALL DAY if they'd let me. Then the Filet Mignon came out. I had never had it and i'm a huge fan of chicken. After my first bite, i was sold. I savored every bite. All of Sandals food is wonderfully amazingly delicious. But that was the best meal I had there. Also that night, the managers entertained us. They are so down to earth. You can really tell they love their jobs and love to have fun.
All of the staff is like that. Everyone has a smile on their faces and greets you. Anything you need they are glad to get it for you. We especially loved Caren and Jackie though. They were so wonderful!!! We met alot of other guests and talked to them about what other Sandals they've been to. We were told, by numerous guests, that Antigua and St. Lucia may have the better beaches and scenery but its the staff at SGOR that is more personable, friendly, and makes them feel like family. The morning before we left, Caren came to say good bye. It's funny because before we arrived we talked about doing something different for our next anniversary like another resort or a cruise. But after our experience here and the staff making us feel like we're family we will be definitely be back next year. Caren realized we were sad and said she looks forward to seeing us next year. I told her she definitely would. "Only 52 more weeks!" I said. She laughed so hard at that. But I just love the staff and service and jamaica!!!! I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a memorable vacation!

13 Thank ashleydeez
Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at Sandals Grande to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The prime reason for staying in Ocho Rios was to have our anniversary dinner at The Ruins restaurant, which we visited during our honeymoon.
In the months and weeks leading up to this trip I read numerous reviews at this site, and was baffled at the conflicting reviews. While most reviews were positive, there were several negative postings as well. My intent is to write a thorough and honest review of our own experience, hopefully so that it will help the reader make the most out of their own visit to this resort.
Let me begin by saying the following things: First, a 5-star rating in a Caribbean hotel is not the same level of luxury as can be expected from a 5-star North American hotel such as Ritz-Carlton or Mandarin Oriental. Second, the Sandals Grande is located in the middle of a REAL tropical forest - not the plastic Disneyland type of tropical forest you can expect to find at the Rainforest Cafe. That said when you see geckos or the occasional bit of wildlife about, this should be considered normal. Third, in this country you are on Jamaica time, so chill out and learn to say "No problem, Mon".
Overall my wife and I were extremely pleased with our stay. While certain aspects could have been better, I would not be making the effort to write what I am writing if we had a lousy time.
One downside was the 2 hour bus ride to get from the airport to the resort. Given that we had been to Jamaica before we already knew this going in. But on the upside the bus was modern and air conditioned, so the ride was good. About half way to the resort a pitstop was made at a snack bar/gift shop located alongside the road. Prices there were high and there was an unwillingness on the part of staff to haggle. My opinion is not to waste your time or money there.
Arriving at the resort you are welcomed with cold towels and champagne. Our check-in went reasonably quick, and we were soon wisked up the hill to our villa in one of the Jitneys which are, essentially, glorified golf carts used to shuttle around the expansive grounds.
It should be pointed out that Sandals Grande is a large resort, comprised of 2 sides. The side directly on the ocean is called Riviera, and for those who prefer more beach activities, snorkelling, scuba diving, night life etc. my feeling is that this is the better side of the resort to be located on. My wife and I stayed in a villa on the Manor side, which is tucked into the hills behind the Riviera. In my opinion the Manor has a much better main pool (which is huge and has a swim up bar), and I liked the layout of the main lodge at Manor much better than the lodge at Riviera. For those who prefer a pool over beach, or are happy to spend time on a quieter side of the property, then Manor might be your better choice.
Although the Sandals Grande is very spread out, with a Riviera side and a Manor side, getting back and forth between the two is no problem. There are small shuttle buses that run back and forth with great frequency, so the logistics are no issue. On the Manor side getting back and forth to the villas is also easy using the golf cart-like Jitneys.
It should be pointed out that there are an abundance of stairs on both sides of this resort. For elderly people or others with difficulty going up and down stairs I'd recommend staying at Sandals Dunn's River, where most restaurants etc are on ground level. Sandals Dunns River is the proverbial bungalow of resorts, with upper levels accessible by elevator.
My wife and I booked one of the villas, with Concierge service. We did not opt for the butler package largely because we did not feel we could get our money's worth for the added service over and above what we could get from Concierge. If you stay on the Manor side you'll do well having Aldane as your Concierge. He's on the ball and goes out of his way to ensure guests are happy. In the villa we had our own small swimming pool. Although this pool was theoretically shared with 3 other villas, at no time during our stay did we ever see any other guests using this pool. We spend 2 of our days enjoying complete privacy around this pool: reading, swimming, and drinking champagne and OJ. There was even a resident free range rooster walking about, and we soon nicknamed him "Strut". The rooster was harmless, and quite entertaining.
Our villa had a large master bedroom, bathroom, sitting room, and kitchen. Although a snack tray was available in the room (for added cost) the fridge was stocked with an assortment of free beverages including wine, beer, soda, water, champagne and juice. The in-room bar was stocked with complimentary scotch, vodka and gin. Any liquor preference we had that was not in the room was delivered free of charge by the Concierge. In our case my wife wanted Bailey's with her morning tea, so Baileys was what got delivered. "No problem, Mon". During evenings we enjoyed sitting on our covered balcony, she with her wine and me with my cigar. Insects seemed to be non-existent and there was no need for insect repellent at any time. Every morning started with a pot of coffee for me, and tea + Bailey's for her. For breakfast we made our way to the Marketplace Grill for a buffet-style breakfast. We enjoyed the Marketplace so much that we ended up having all of our breakfasts there, always at a table for 2 on the patio overlooking the pool. The Marketplace staff were all courteous and helpful, but special kudos should be given to a young man named Oshane who looks after the omelette grill. The food was quite good, and in addition to omelettes I must say I developed a particular fondness for bagels and lox.
For dinner we ate at a different restaurant every night, and never had a bad experience with food or service. Valentinos is mostly Italian food and is highly rated by many, but bear in mind that it has a dress code. While the food at V's was excellent we were bothered by the ambient noise in the place. It was the loudest of all restaurants we had dinner at. The other restaurant that really stood out for us was Kimono's, which is located at the Dunn's River resort - and accessible to guests at Grande for free via shuttle bus. Kimono's is popular and requires a reservation, but it was an exceptional experience for a Japanese style teppanyaki (iron griddle) meal. Our chef there was a high energy Jamaican named Dennis, and we ended up absolutely stuffed on grilled steak, salmon, scallops, shrimp, chicken, veggies and rice interwoven with saki shooters brought to the table to help one of the guests celebrate her birthday.
Our dinner on the last night was at an amazing restaurant in Ocho Rios called The Ruins, where we sat at a table in the middle of a floor carved out of the rainforest, with a 40 ft. waterfall one one side and the star lit sky with the moon for a ceiling. The Ruins is located right across the road from the Taj Mahal shopping plaza, and Denzil Thompson is The Ruins manager. While the bloom has come off the rose a bit for this place (from what I remember from 25 years ago) the photo below will attest to the fact that this restaurant is a hidden gem that retains its lasting magnificence.
Sandals Grande also offers extensive spa services, and I enjoyed one of the best Reflexology treatments I have ever received from an affable young lady named Norma. My wife enjoyed her "Pretty and Polished" session with Nneka. Although I found the regular spa prices to be a bit high vis-a-vis comparable services available back home, it's also good to remember that you're on vacation - so enjoy.
For souvenirs there is a Gift Shop/Trading Post located on both the Riviera and Manor sides. Prices are generally higher than you'll find in town at the markets, but if you wait until the last day you'll receive a coupon with your check-out package for 10% off purchase(s). Blue Mountain coffee is priced at $32 per pound in the gift shop. It can be bought for $15 to $18 at markets such as Taj Mahal, provided you haggle. There's a small market located across the street from the Riviera side, with resort sponsored tours going over. It's mostly jewelry, wood carvings and other small crafty knick-knacks there. What's sold as Blue Mountain coffee can be had for $12 per lb. at this market, but out of a desire to buy legitimate coffee my preference was to stay with the Jablum brand of roasted bean. Cigars are available at both gift shops, but I was disappointed at how poorly the humidors were maintained. Cigars on the Manor side were dry, and I was not about to pay a stiff $17 for a dry MonteCristro #2. For anyone interested in buying cigars I would not hold out hope for getting deals at the airport Duty Free. I found Cuban cigars there to be overpriced, but did end up buying some Royal Jamaican Robustos at $29 for a box of 5. Buy far the best luck I had, cigarwise, was at the Taj Mahal market. Keep in mind that there are a number of sketchy vendors at these markets, selling many a fake. But by chance I stumbled into a store called Gift Palace and haggled with a guy named Max (Manish). By the time I was done I ended up paying an average of $150 per box (of 25) for sealed boxes of MonteCristo #2s, Cohiba Esplendidos, and MonteCristo "C". Royal Jamaican boxes of 5s could be haggled down to $25. If Max is reluctant to haggle start heading out the door - he'll find motivation to cut you a better deal. Blue Mountain Jablum was $15 per lb there, with additional deals to be had on spices etc.
All in all we had an excellent and memorable vacation. We found Sandals Grande to be exceptionally clean and well maintained overall. I saw a recent comment complaining about the 1970s style kitchen. We probably had the same kitchen, but what do I care? I was only going in to pour a coffee or get a beer. At least it was clean. I've read other complaints about insects and critters walking about. We saw no mosquitos, ants or alleged cockroaches of any kind. Yes there were some cats roaming around the Marketplace and Manor Grill from time to time, but they never bothered guests and were never on any tables. Remember, it's a tropical forest - there's bound to be some critters around. I'm surprised some guests were freaked out about geckos. A gecko is the tiny lizard you see in the Geico commercial....totally harmless, and about the size of my middle finger. If anyone's spooked about a gecko, I'd suggest that they pitch a tent at Rainforest Cafe and spend their vacation there.
For security of valuables our room came with a wall mounted digital safe, which could be personally encoded with your own unique code. While I was initially concerned about leaving passports etc. in a room safe, as the week unfolded my comfort level grew. Just make sure you lock your safe when you leave the room.
Access to Internet was almost non-existent, with no terminals available at Manor and the ones at Riviera out of service. For those with laptops there is Wi-Fi available for approx. $30+ per week, but I opted to leave my laptop at home to avoid the temptation to check in on work. For anyone bringing cell phones I'd advise you to check BEFOREHAND on international roaming charges in the event you don't have an international plan. Even if your phone is on and not being used, you might end up with a nasty surprise when you get home on your next cellphone bill. We opted for leave our phones at home.

18 Thank Trelawny84
NJ
Reviewed October 29, 2009

We stayed at the Sandals Grande in Ocho Rios and had the best experience possible. The staff was amazing and went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable and having a good time. Any request was answered promptly and pleasantly. Everyone was very friendly all the time. The rooms are very clean and you never have to worry about anything. The staff is extremely helpful booking activities and making sure that your visit is the best that it can possibly be. The food is excellent too with a great variety of options. Overall, a great experience and we will be sure to visit again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
#8 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!