“No complaints!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“No complaints!”
Reviewed February 10, 2005

I just got back two days ago (Feb 8) and I had the time of my life there. When we arrived at the airport we were taken to the Sandals lounge and offered Red Stripe and only had to wait about 10 minutes for a bus. The bus ride was not that bad. I enjoyed it because you can see a lot of the country and people. Yes, it is bumpy and people do drive crazy there, but it just adds to the adventure. If you are not up to that, take a plane or hire a limo. We booked the cheapest room on the resort on the Riviera side (not an ocean view) off of the internet. When we arrived, it only took about 15 minutes to check in and we were whisked away promptly by a cart to our room which turned out to be a villa with semi-private pool on the Manor side. It was gorgeous!!! The grounds are gorgeous and very well maintained. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I loved the walk to and from the main Manor house to the villa each day. You could take a cart going by or call for one with no problem. From the villa you could see the ocean and there is lush plant life around and has nice smells and sounds. We both thought the food was great! Some people were complaining about it but I think they wanted just fatty, processed American food. This food was varied and delicious and HEALTHY!!! There was something new to try all the time. The steak at the Manor House was the best I have ever had. It was a small portion but it was fine. We ate at some of the Riviera restaurants, and they were ok too. The pool is fabulous, it takes your breath away. On the Riviera side I wasn't as impressed as with the Manor side, but the grounds were also beautiful. The beaches there were small, but nice. The pools weren't that big. The watersports were great. There was still some construction going on the docks, they are still building a dining area. It isn't the best view from one of the beaches there to see the construction, but the other two had spectacular views. The shuttle buses were always running, we never had to wait more than 5-10 minutes. The playmakers were great at their job and boy, can those girls dance!! We took one tour - a jeep safari up into the mountains, it was wonderful to see the countryside and be so high up and see the beautiful shoreline from above. We also drove through fern gully and went on a large farm. Dennis (the guide) taught us about fruits and local folklore. We ended the tour at Dunns River Falls. It was a five hour tour and it included some off-roading, so if you didn't like the bus ride, don't do this, but it was the highlight of my trip! I fell in love with Jamaica and it's people. A vacation a lot of the time is what you make of it. Remember, some people you just can't please.

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,523)
Reviewed February 4, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our 5-night vacation. We stayed from 1/30-2/04, was just the right amount of time. We had a blast, the bus ride was great and very intersting-very long, but hey you should know that!

When we arrived we were in our room in less then 10min. We stayed on the Riveria side in a Honeymoon penthouse suite with congiere, which I would never do again. It was nice to have the fridge and fully stocked everday, but never needed there service. We were told when we arrived that you no longer needed reservations for any resturants-not true! If you want to eat at Valentino's (which I highley recommend) you must get on line about 5:00 to get your name on a list. No one tells you this until you show up at the door and get turned around.

Yes, the beach is small but never that crowded. The pool on the manor side is gorgues! Nothing to do at night, we went to bed early or searched for a empty hot tub!

The food I really enjoyed, my husband got sick of it, but there is a nice selection.

We did the Dunn's River Waterfall-Cruise, and it made our entire trip. We had such a blast! I highley recommend to anyone who enjoys boats and to party. When we went out the water was very rough, a few people got sick and took a cab home, but I loved it! You have to sit in the net on the way home, be prepared to get wet! Just go with it and you will have the time of your life!!

We flew Air Jamaica so check out was great. They took our luggage and gave us boarding passes right at the resort so it was one, two, three once we arrived at the airport.

I would definetly go back to Jamaica, and would definetly stay at another Sandals resort!! We had a blast. So stop reading all the negative reviews, go and have fun, it is what you make of it!!!
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me!

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2005

My wife and I stayed 17 nights(Dec 18-Jan 4,2005) arriving very late, say 2 a.m due to Air Ja aica habitual 4 hours delay at Manchester, England. On arrival at the Riviera we were taken to our room only to find that the room was not prepared but the porter, Howard came to our rescue at 2.45 a.m by getting an upgrade in the main building. We usually spend our christmas hoildays at RJG but because they had a change of management and undergoing refurbishment hence our change of location. There seem to be some confusion on dress code as one would see guests in there shorts and trainers, swimsuits in the Bayside restaurant at dinner, I don't call that elegant casual. The staff were superb especially Howard whom I mentioned before, Oscar, Elvis and Lotayah. The food was ok both in the Bayside and Sandtrap, the downside was that it rained for 5 days almost continuously which means that a lot of the activities outdoors had to be cancelled and those who are there for the TAN only, well, say no more, I did not think much of the beach party that was a no-no steel band, not my thing. I read a review and found some of the complaints be spiteful or you know someone hoping for compensation. We think this resorts was over priced for what it is all in all we had a good 17 days simply because we made it so.

2 Thank juannie42
Reviewed January 23, 2005

My husband and I were at the Sandals Grande Ocho Rios from 1/15/05 to 1/22/05, celebrating our delayed honeymoon. We were supposed to go to Sandals Negril in September, when Hurricane Ivan changed our plans. Although we've never been to Negril, we really don't see how it could top Ocho Rios!

We flew directly from Memphis to Montego Bay and stood in the immigration lines for about an hour (hint: move past all the crowds to the lines on the left hand side of the room, there are tons of lines and most people just follow the people in front of them to the right hand side!) After we got our luggage we were directed to a newly refurbished Sandals waiting room where we could pour a glass of Red Stripe and relax while waiting for our shuttle. The trip is probably the worst part of the whole experience. It takes 2 hours to travel 67 miles, and it completely wears you out! You do get to stop an hour into the trip, however, so that helps. Part of our problem was that our flight was delayed leaving Memphis, so we had a longer travel day than expected.

When we arrived the shuttle dropped us all off at the Manor. At the time we didn't know that we were staying in what was called the Riviera, so there was some confusion as to where we needed to check in. Since we were prepared and knew what type of room we had paid for, all I had to do was go up to the front desk, explain we had a Honeymoon Oceanfront Concierge room (not suite), and they directed us to get back on the shuttle to hop across the street to the Riviera Building to check in. There were several people who were getting irritated with the check in process, but if you've done your homework beforehand, you won't have a problem. Be prepared to tell them what you were told to expect...as many people as they have come in everyday, some things will slip through the cracks. Just ask for it, and as long as you really are entitled to it with your room level, you'll get it!

We received the $250 room credit that some people didn't receive because we called it to the front desk's attention on our first full day there. We used it to get a couples massage in the spa (which was wonderful...you can also get it done on the pier at sunset), and to get some pictures printed that the resort photographer took of us. Our room was great...it looked exactly like the picture on the Sandals website, and was very clean. Our mini bar was completely stocked with beer, wine, champagne, mixers, water, etc., and was replenished everyday (they don't replenish the big bottles of rum/vodka/gin/etc on the shelf, however.) We were offered turndown service every night, were given robes (after we requested them...they were supposed to be included with our room as well) and had a CD list that we could pick from to have a CD playing in our alarm clock that we could trade out at any point.

Our only off-resort outing was to Dunn's River Falls, which was a lot of fun, but you pay more for it through Sandals than you would just going yourself ($25 a person vs. $10). However, you do get a ride to and from the park with that price. The rest of the time we just enjoyed our surroundings and spent the days on the beach or by the pool (the Manor pool is much larger and, in our opinion, nicer, but you don't have to beach to walk to if you go over there.) We both loved laying around in the hammocks that were placed throughout the garden area during the afternoon and at night as well!

The food was excellent at both the Manor and Riviera buildings. Keep in mind that they are feeding the masses, but you won't be disappointed. All the food had plenty of flavor, and each restaurant had plenty of variety. The food types ranged from Italian to Southwestern, Caribbean to European. Our personal favorite was San Genarro, the Italian restaurant in the Beach Club, which was next door to the Riviera. We weren't very impressed by the lunch at the Bayside or the Marketplace, but they were buffet-style, and again, you're feeding the masses, so what can you expect? The beach grills were great, especially if you had a craving for nachos or fried food at odd times like we did!

At night we popped into the amphitheatre a couple of nights, but never stayed long. The people who were there looked like they were enjoying the shows, however. They had a newlywed-type game one night, a cultural night, a talent show, etc. We checked out Nicole's dance club one night, which would have been a lot of fun if more people had been there at the time we were. Fun dance music, mixed with some reggae/dancehall stuff. Most of our evening time was spent at the Piano Bar with the best bartender we had the entire time, Joe! After the second time we were there, he knew exactly what drinks we were having and had them sitting on the bar for us by the time we sat down. He even helped us locate a particular type of rum that we couldn't find in the gift shops.

My husband, Wally, went snorkeling on our last full day, and loved every minute of it. Neither of us had ever been before, so we can't compare it to snorkeling elsewhere, but everyone on the boat seemed pleased. Other water sports that are available include hobie cats, windsurfing, water tricycles, kayaks, etc. You can also go parasailing, but you have to pay for that.

The bad thing about the return trip was the fact that we should have been placed on an earlier shuttle to get back to the airport. We arrived at 2, and our flight left at 2:50. We ran into lines at the desk, and wound up having to get the Northwest desk to hold the flight for us so we could run to the gate.

We had the time of our lives, and are already trying to figure out how to get back to either Ocho Rios or another location by our 5th anniversary! If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me: juliegreen@gmail.com.

• Stayed January 2005
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 23, 2005

We just returned from Sandals Ocho Rios after a 10 day stay. The resort is beautiful but definitely not worth the US$4600. We found the food to be excellent to terrible, depending upon the restaurant and the time of day. The staff were VERY friendly but we had the feeling that everyone had ulterior (tips) motives, and we were even shaken down for a tip from 2 employees. One of the security guards actually asked me "if we were going to take care of him before we left" 5 or 6 times, then asked me if "I'd leave my watch". (I declined.) The activities are well-planned and entertaining, and the grounds are absolutely MAGNIFICENT. Very clean and beautiful. We were shown to our room (the worst in the resort) upon arrival. I made my objections known the next day and was shown several options, which actually constituted an upgrade to one of the villas with a private pool. That was great. If you want to stay by the beach this is not the resort for you. The beach is small and fairly crowded, and now that Sandals and Breezes have merged, half of the resort is behind the building you see on the website. You have to take a shuttle to the "Riviera"- or beach- building from the "Manor", but they do run all the time. I have read every review on this site for 6 months so I went with an open mind, and having been home for several days to ponder our experience I would have to say we will not be going here again. What we were told is that the Sandals Royal Carribean is much nicer- it's over in Montego Bay. Also, much better sand on the western side of the island- Mo Bay, Negril, etc. One nice thing- security is good on and off the resort. We went into town 4-5 times and had no problems at all. Also, If you like to smoke pot you'll be right at home there. It's abundant and available everywhere. And don't change your money- everyone takes dollars.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed January 23, 2005

Let me preface this review by saying that I am a former travel agent and have an "expectation" as to what Sandals Resorts should be. I have been to Jamaica on two other occasions staying at Couples Swept Away in Negril and at Sans Souci in Ocho Rios. I am going to try to be as objective as possible and try my hardest to demonstrate our experience at SOR.

We arrived on the 16th into MB. The Sandals reception area at the airport was easy to find and beautiful! It is air conditioned and has beautiful decor. Comfy couches, cold sandwiches and cold drinks (including Red Stripe) refreshed this weary traveler! We were greeted and encouraged to relax while our bags were put onto the transfer bus.

The ride from MB to OR was great. We stopped three times for restroom breaks and to buy more beer and we made it in 1:45. The ride is beautiful and if you have a great driver you will learn a lot about the small towns you pass through.

We arrived at SOR in the early afternoon and went straight to the reception desk while the men claimed our luggage. We waited a few minutes only to find out that there is "seated check-in." Apparently you are supposed to find a couch and be greeted by a host/hostess and are given your room key. We plopped down on a comfy sofa and were given a cold towel and champagne. At check-in you will be given an amenity bag containing shampoo, conditioner, aloe gel and aloe lotion. You will be given the key to your room and then are escorted to your room.

We were pleasantly surprised upon entering our room. We booked the lowest category room possible in the Manor House but were all upgraded to Villas on the Manor side. Our room had a beautiful four poster bed and mini kitchen. The bathroom we were in had only one sink, but our friends' had a double. There is a plunge pool at each villa which is shared between 2-4 suites. We were in building 13....if you are lucky enough to stay there, there is a hidden hot tub big enough for 10 people just under the pool! The villa was very clean and well appointed. All linens were new and everything had fresh paint. We were very happy to have been upgraded!

We were able to see a Manor House room. Pretty basic with a poster head-board. The flooring is icky....a parquet that does not go at all with the decor. The halls of the Manor House look like a hospital and are tiled. They reminded me of what I would suppose to be an insane asylum!

The property is divided into two areas, the Manor and the Riviera. The Manor is "up the hill" and the Riviera is the beach area. This is a very large resort and very confusing at times. If you have troubles walking, you can take a cart from your room to the Manor House and vice versa. The problem is that the drivers take their own sweet time and sometimes never even show up. During our week stay, we never had a cart to go down, they never showed. We were able to get carts up on occasion, but typically chose to walk. The walk is very steep and and uneven. Be careful when it rains as you may be stuck in the mud!

The gym is sufficient. It has free weights, treadmills, elliptical machines, bikes and sit up benches. There are also free weight benches, but they do not go flat. You must always use them at an incline.

The Manor pool is absolutely stunning. There are cabana tents with plush chaise lounges. The down-side is the service. At times we would wait up to 30 minutes for a drink. It was easier to go inside the Manor House and get drinks.

The food at the Manor was okay for breakfast. You can do the buffet or go to Orchids for sit down service. As far as other meals....don't expect much. The food was awful at both the Manor and the Riviera side when it came to dinners. We opted for the Beach Bar Grill on the Riviera side and for the Grill by the pool with the slide on the Manor side. Service at dinner was horrible. If you wanted a drink with dinner you were better off bringing one in with you to start and then order drinks immediately.

There is no room service where we were, so if you want to eat late at night it's a hike!

Also, if you expect your fridge to be stocked, expect to tip. It took us 2 days to get bottled water and we never got any more the whole trip. They would bring soda and juice if asked. Our room also had gin, rum and whisky....but no glasses to mix drinks in. Make sure you ask for a bottle opener or even bring your own!

The spa is wonderful....I recommend the hot stone massage!!

So now you are wondering what was sooooo bad?? Here it goes:

Tipping. Everyone expected a tip. If you don't tip, you don't get drinks. Tip and someone will bring you drinks! Tip and you suddenly get a drink at the bar in a matter of seconds and not in 30 minutes.

Food. The food was really bad. In our group of eight, at least one person was ill every single day. The best food anywhere was in the International at Dunn's River. You don't need reservations, but it is dressy. Ask for Martin....he is great!! Wendie's at DR was also good. Actually, anything is better than SOR when it comes to food.

Communication. Deplorable at some points. "No problem" means "I'll do it at my convenience." I suggest also making note of every single person you can. We were told by a reception employee that there was a shuttle at 7p to Dunn's River. Our group was waiting and finally informed that there isn't a shuttle. We asked to speak to a manager and spoke to Jason Rodgers at the Riviera side. He was unwilling to cooperate and absolutely did not believe us that we were told by a Sandals employee that there was a 7p shuttle. We were basically told to take the next shuttle or pay out of pocket for a taxi. We ended up taking the taxi.....$30 one way. Another friend was approached at the evening entertainment because he was alone. He was informed by an employee that "company for the evening could be arranged." Something that shocked us all! There was also a problem which required an emergency nurse. Sandals employees were all over, but noone had the sense to call for a nurse. I actually had to tell someone to go and get a nurse or a doctor for a situation that one was obviously needed!

Internet Access. There is none. Period. There is none at Dunn's River either. Take a taxi $40 round trip and pay for access at the Taj Mahal shops. Or just call on the phone and save yourself some money. One person from our group specifically e-mailed Sandals prior to leaving to confirm that there was access and was told yes. Nope....there really isn't!

Orientation. Pitiful. Past pitiful. If I wanted an orientation where I just read information from the sheets given to me at reception that would be great. I want a walking tour to see the grounds, to get my bearings. Nope. Just a Playmaker rattling off times and another person trying to sell excursions. Skip it and just read the information given to you at reception.

Restaurants. If you want reservations, arrange them prior to leaving. We were there a week and never got into any of the reservation required places. Apparently if you have a butler or concierge you are given priority. If you are just a lowly guest, you will never get in. Consider this a warning and pick up the phone and call if you want to ever get in. There is a two week wait at most of the places.

Photographs. Four 8 x 10s for $40. We saw the photographer once the whole week we were there. Bring your own camera and save yourself the money!

We met another couple honeymooning that paid 50% more than all of our group. Their room was on the Riviera side. It looked straight out of a Holiday Inn. There was absolutely nothing about the room that was worth the money they paid. They could have paid less and gotten a suite with a pool on the Manor side....suffice it to say that when they saw what we had they were angry. They also did not receive the promised honeymooner amenities. No champagne. No candles. No rose petals. This could have been an issue with the travel agent, but I am guessing it was Sandals. You CAN get it for $190 if you pay more!

The experience was great because we were with our friends, but I will never return to SOR or even another Sandals property. I think you can get better service and PAMPERING at other properties.

9 Thank jamaicajen
NH
Reviewed January 21, 2005

We have been traveling to Ochie (as it's called there) for 12 years and have always had a fantastic time. Since it has renovated the hotel next door there are bound to be complications but A) any good travel agent would have mentioned this and B) if you were apprehensive, you could have asked to be moved to another Sandals on the island (trip insurance comes in handy should you need to change your trip). Of course at the holidays you are limited as to what can be shuffled around due to high occupancy but some of you need to lighten up. In our travels to the islands you have to realize nothing is like the States, it is not "home" but there will always be the whiners.

At this hotel the food is good, if you don't like your dinner the beauty of it is order something else, or go to another restaurant. The huge breakfast buffets at lunch and dinner in the Riviera Building cater to every diet or taste. Dinner at Valentino's is quiet and air-conditioned or if you prefer to eat outside, the Reef Terrace is nice. While waiting for your table go to the piano bar right there and talk to George, he'll give you some good laughs. Estick plays these sing-alongs there later which sounds corny but is really hilarious. The food at the Arizona is really good and it's fun to sit directly on the beach and eat with the sun going down. I'm looking forward to trying the restaurants on "the hill". Two couples we know just came back and said all the other restaurants were good. I wouldn't say the service in the restaurants is top notch but these people work from 9 - 11 sometimes and I'm sure are worn out by dinnertime, cut them a bit of slack. At least all the locals are friendly and do their best to accommodate any request. I celebrated many a birthday there and at some point it was found out by the staff and always celebrated with a cake and lots of singing.

The water sports guys are great and will make sure you are safe no matter what type of sports you would like to try. If you can't use the Hobie Cat alone, they will take you for a slow ride or a nice fast one. Definitely take the kayaks out and go up the coast to the right and you'll see all the other hotels and the coastline is just beautiful. Snorkeling is really nice and if you scuba dive it is offered there as well.

As far as the all-inclusive aspect of drinks, there is something for everyone, non-alcoholic or a nice rum punch. Always ask the bartender what their specialty drink is and it really makes their day. If you happen to meet Calvin at the Ocho Rios pool bar he is really a gas to talk to. I have watched these guys handle the young drunk crowd, which thank God doesn't happen often, or the older couple with class and friendliness.

All in all it is a wonderful time if you can just relax a bit and enjoy the sun and beautiful grounds. Please keep in mind that these people who need to vent about their vacation are not the majority of people who go to Ocho Rios, this hotel has an 85% returning guest rate, not many can say that. There are a lot of good people who will attend to your problems, maybe not in an instant fashion as so many Americans are accustomed to (yelling will get you nowhere - and you wonder why all the islands say Americans are rude?)

I give this hotel a 5 star rating. Email me with questions if you like.

11 Thank JA-GirlinNH
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Montego Bay
Sandals Montego Bay
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!