“Very Fun for Groups of Friends..Some Things Need Improved”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Kansas
“Very Fun for Groups of Friends..Some Things Need Improved”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I’ll start off by saying that this is my second time at a Sandals and I had a good experience once again. My husband and I visited this resort with a group of friends in late April. While the other couples stayed in the concierge level rooms, we had to opt for the cheaper level “seaside mountain view deluxe” room. When we booked it, we thought we would be in the large, main building facing the mountains. However, we were actually set further back in a separate building which turned out to be better as I think the noise for anyone staying in the main building would be loud since the entertainment auditorium is right next door. Overall, our room was nice, large and clean. I didn’t think the rooms between ours and the higher price level (we went and saw our friends’ rooms) was that much different. Although, they did receive other amenities we did not: access to concierge room (not sure what it is good for), snacks, a bar in their room, free Wifi, and staff member who came around and offered snacks and drinks. The only thing that really irritated me was that our room level did not come with Wifi. In this day and age, it seems archaic to withhold this from customers and really made me feel like I was being nickel and dimed.
Apart from that, the trip was great. We were staying at the older half of the resort closer to the ocean and really enjoyed the quick access to the beach and restaurants. There are 14 or 15 places to eat at the resort and they were all very good. We also booked a zip-lining excursion through Sandals and it was a lot of fun. My husband and I chose to book Dolphin Cove through Expedia as it was cheaper than going through Sandals. Just make sure you call to reserve a time after you book your tickets. Transportation from Sandals will run you about $20. Or, you can call Marvyn with Marvyn’s Paradise Tours and he will take you for $90 (includes dolphin swim package, Sandals will charge you $175 per person for the same exact thing). Note that he will not take you if it is the same day a cruise ship is in port, not sure why. We also book Marvyn to take us to the Blue Hole as Sandals does not offer that excursion and it was the entire groups’ favorite thing by far.
The other half of the resort that offers butler-style suites was very nice and only a five minute shuttle ride from the Riviera side of the resort. The nicest and largest pool is on this half and we enjoyed going here a few of the days as it was much less crowded and we did not have to get there at 8 am to get a lawn chair. Other couples who stayed in this area we talked to though said it was really dead at night and came to our half of the resort for more interaction. So, I guess it depends on what you were looking for.

The only other slightly negative thing I would have to say is that the service from the staff was, at times, inconsistent. Don’t get me wrong, most staff members were very nice. However, there were definitely some that could have been friendlier. For example, I asked to take my coffee with me from the breakfast area one morning and the woman helping us seemed super annoyed and just grabbed the cup from my hand without saying anything and went and filled it up and then handed it back to me (once again in silence). The front desk girl when were checking out was obviously irritated with the other women working the desk with her and made it sort of uncomfortable when she rolled her eyes every time the other woman said anything. Also, some of the hostesses at the restaurants could have been friendlier. Staff members who WERE very nice and friendly include Jerry who was part of the entertainment staff. I very nice waiter whose name I wish I could remember in the French restaurant, and Otis who worked in the breakfast area.
All in all, I would definitely recommend this Sandals. It is especially fun with a group of friends!

Room Tip: Stay away from the main building close to the ocean unless you like loud noise at night! Bar is righ...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank friend24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,567)
Las Vegas
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We visited for spring break 4/13-19--returning from a summer visit 2 years ago--and had 5 other couples join us. Excellent food, staff, and service (Tex, Jermaine, & Kirk @ Kimonos--Kenroy @ Bayside--Wilson/Arturo, Natoya, & Obenia @ Soy, Melissa @ Ochi club pool, lobster tail at Sabrina's--Jamaican patties, jerk chicken, and fish burgers @ the Ochi/grill). Ochi beach party Mon, returnee dinner/chocolate buffet/All white party Wed. Big boss Brian and Kareema-loyalty manager were the best (meet us in Exuma next year?) Shadine/Lydia @ Club sandals (thank you for helping us call the airline for lost luggage) and Donmaur/Shadanne @ Snaphots were the friendliest. Room service 7am-10pm. No butler service for us and it was just fine. Didn't spend much time in the room. Stayed in the main building this time (music from Jamie's till about 1am--so if you want quieter, ask for a room away from the elevators. Went to Scotchies in town for local food ($10/pp taxi)--yum. Diving orientation @ 9 (2x/week), diving trips @9, noon, 2. Bus transfer to and from was comfortable (1 1/2 hr). If you can't have fun, be positive, and enjoy yourself in a place where you don't have to make your own meals and your own bed, and experience friendly service--then not much will make you happy. We love it and thank you, Sandals. Every-tin' IRIE.

Room Tip: If in the main building/riviera side-it's quieter away from the middle/elevator/Jamie's down...
3 Thank vegastravelers55
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed April 26, 2014

My husband and I stayed here March 29 - April 5th for our wedding anniversary. The weather in Jamaica was beautiful and warm which was very much needed after the winter we had in NY. The grounds at the resort were beautiful and well kept. All of the staff was friendly and always polite. We were so well taken care of by all and I want to give Thanks to some very special people.

Kevin & Dennis were our butlers. This was our first experience with butlers at Sandals and they did not disappoint. They made our dinner reservations, kept our fridge stocked, escorted us to dinner and checked on us during the day to make sure all of our needs were met. They brought us surprise goodies during the day and even left us a special surprise in the evening for our anniversary. Not that we were spoiled but whatever we needed with advance notice they accommodated. They knew enough about us to know when we needed our privacy. (Respect mon!!). We should be so fortunate to have two butlers like them in the future when we visit Sandals again and hope to see them soon!

Anna and Annmarie at the Ochi Beach Club were the best. They went above and beyond making sure we enjoyed our time on the beach. They made sure our glasses were full and brought us special treats. They were so sweet and always smiling which made our days. We tried the Island Routes Lovers Rock Catamaran Cruise which was awesome. A special shout out to Crumbs, whom Anna made sure knew who we were and that we were taken care of.

We didn't try all of the restaurants but enjoyed the ones we did. The food was grea (our compliments to the chefs !!!!). A special thanks to Tashae at Valentino's, Tevin (trainee) at Sabrina's, Dwayne at Bayside, Chris (chef) at Sabrina's and Hank at Sabrina's and Kimono's.

We paid extra to have the private car service from the airport to the resort. Well worth the price and Mr. G. Campbell was a fantastic chauffer driver, very informative , polite, professional and accommodating. This bodes as well for Mr. Cox.

And last but not least all of the jitney and shuttle drivers who have to take you up and down the resort since it is so huge and walking can be tiring! All in all a fantastic trip and can't wait to return!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had our wedding at this resort and everything about it was just truly AMAZING! The staff is second to none and go above and beyond to make you feel welcome. We had 19 guest to attend our wedding and EVERYBODY had nothing but great things to say. The food was excellent, the view was was breathtaking, and the entertainment was awesome. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better...we met with our wedding planner, Ms. Latoya Brooks. Latoya truly made our wedding day the "Best Day Ever!" She was professional, knowledgeable, and genuinely sweet! I tear up just thinking about how awesome she was. When she said "no worries mon, I got you" that's just what she meant. Thank you to every at Sandals Grand Riviera for the best time of my life!!!

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean view.
1 Thank Denise B
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Where to start? Butlers, Robert and Akeem are the best! The towel people in the bed were beyond cool. Getting us from the bottom to the top in the Lamborghini was an adventure in itself. Everyone was beyond helpful and caring. The resort is beautiful and even though large there is never a problem getting from one place to another. This was our ninth trip to Sandals second to this resort and we will come back soon . Miguel the food was amazing. Last but never least is Vishal, he is a beyond caring person. If you are reading this your concern when I was Ill was above and beyond. It meant a lot. Thanks for the Jalapeños and I am sure it must be 7 o'clock somewhere!!!!

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Amazing hotel, staff, food, entertainment. Definitely worth going to sandals if you haven't been before. You won't be able to go anywhere but sandals after you have been.
We got a butler room and Nadine and Anton were absolutly amazing! They helped us stay organized for outings, Made reservations for dinner and got us there, brought us food while resting at the room. They also had many surprises along the way. My husband even lost his wedding room and ripped the room apart looking for it. (Some nice person turned his ring in at the front desk and he got it back) when we got back to the room it was already put back together because they had heard what happened. Such amazing service all around.
The only thing I would say which was not a big deal is that the butler suites are further away from the beach then it looked online. They had quick and easy access to get there though.
-Armin and Diana :)

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Dianamleslie
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 25, 2014

In 1994, I visited an all-inclusive Club Ortanique ska Ciboney ... Sandals, the luxury all-inclusive resort system has since purchased the property. The service is top-notch and it is well worth the money you will spend on your luxury vacation! Ricardo, Ennis, and Voyston take exceptional care of you at the Polo,Lounge in the Manor House. Dwayne is the Omelet Zen Master at the Marketplace. Milton absolutely spoiled us with incredible service. He lured us back his restaurant when he discovered we were dining at China Doll! We missed "why not?" Bishop, but we heard he was cross training at the Sandals Turks & Caicos location. Next year!
Brittany, at the front desk, stayed with us to resolve a minor air conditioner problem. Her efforts kept it from becoming a major issue! I am remiss if I fail to mention Alcian and Charmaine. I met a new person this year, Donald. Donald was very helpful in addressing and managing a staff issue.
There was a perceptible change in the food this year. Chef Alex took the time to explain to us that the CEO, Mr A Stewart, implemented a buy-local initiative!
Golf is a highlight for us! Dave Reid does a great job, along with caddy master, Jermaine, the ladies at the desk in the Pro Shop, the beverage cart gals and our terrific caddies, Anthony a.k.a Soda and Wesley. Be sure to ask for Soda and Wesley on your next golf outing!
We missed anemone at the water sports department. Popsi always takes great care of us!
We look forward to our visit next years! Book yours today!

Room Tip: Butler service is nice to have ...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!