“Fantastic trip!”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Moxee, Washington
“Fantastic trip!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

There were 6 of us on this wonderful trip to Sandals in Ocho Rios. We had a wonderful time! I can't tell you how friendly & helpful everyone was there at the resort & even the bus ride to & from Montego Bay airport was fun. The bus driver was friendly & gave us a history lesson about Jamaica. So cool! We went with a Villa with the butler service. 2 couples had 2 butlers, Joesph & Stanford & the other couple had 2 other butlers, O'Shane & Dameon. We loved them all. They were so much fun & were always there to bring us drinks, food, take us to dinner or tidy up our room which included the fun little animal towels & cool letters they left for us. The resort was beautiful & the service was fantastic. I would do this trip again in a heart beat. Every dinner we went to was a special ocasion. Our butlers made sure we were there on time, seated & well taken care of. I wanted to take them home with me or stay there forever. haha! It didn't matter if we were talking to our butlers, waitresses, waiters, pool caretakers, groundkeepers, bartenders, massage gals or any other employee's at the resort, they were happy, friendly & very helpful. I loved this vacation & wish I could have stayed there forever. If you can make a trip like this happen then I vote for Sandals. I great place to go! We went on a catamaran ride to the Dunn River Falls. It was the best day of our whole trip. The falls was beautiful & not a real hard climb but the boat ride with the crew made the 4 hour trip the best ever. We had such a great time. Music, fun crew, fun time, drinks, food, just a fantastic time. I highly recommend everyone do this tour. It is extra but well worth it. Fun! Fun! Fun! The only regret that I have is that we did not stay longer. A ten day trip would have been so much better. We live a long way from there & it took a long time getting there & home so a few more days would have been better. If you get a chance to go & decide on the butler Villa's you have to ask for Joesph, Stanford, O'Shane or Dameon. Anyway they were wonderful & made our getaway so much better! Oh & Joann who took great care of our Villa & Michele & the rest pf the crew from the catarman tour. All of you rock! Thanks everyone, you were great & we hope to see you again someday!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stacydlac
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera! We're so happy to hear of your incredible experience with us. We always strive to create memorable vacations for our guests and I'm glad we were able to make your stay such an amazing visit.

We can't wait to showcase more of our awesome property to you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,524)
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from SGR. This was a week in paradise. Our Butler suite was perfect. Michelle and Celicia were perfect. There for what ever we needed but not invasive. I can't start to list the things they did to make our trip special. We also got to know a couple of special people. O'neil at Kelly's dockside and AnnaLee at the Polo Lounge. Some people you meet you just know you won't forget. Hopefully we will be back to see them again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank King204
We're so glad to hear of your wonderful stay at Sandals Grande Riviera. You enjoyed our gorgeous property and amazing staff who strive daily to go above and beyond. Thank you so much for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another stellar vacation in the future!
Reading
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We traveled to Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica in March 2014 to attend a destination wedding, and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. We stayed in the Great House, overlooking the pool, which was an ideal room for us. This location was directly above the Polo Lounge, which afforded lilting piano music at night if we kept our balcony door open, which you can do because there were no insects! This location provided easy access to Sabrina's Marketplace, where we ate breakfast, and it was an easy few steps down the staircase to the pool. We opted for the Great House rather than the villas, as we did not want butler service, and we preferred being centrally located rather than having to be golf-carted from a villa down to the Great House.Some people in our party enjoyed having butler service- it just wasn't for us.

The room was nicely appointed, clean, and well-maintained. We had an issue with no hot water the first night of our stay, but once Julia, the night manager, was aware of the problem, she quickly saw that it was resolved, keeping us posted with progress, and providing a nearby room for us to shower for dinner. She went out of her way to be sure that the issue was resolved, and was professional and accommodating throughout.

We had dinner at Sabrina's and The Manor on the Hillside part of the resort, and at Kimonos, the Friday Night Beach Party, and Neptune's on the Riviera side of the resort. All dinner experiences were wonderful, with good service and excellent food. Some reviews felt the portion sizes were small; however, when you're eating a 4-course meal at an all-inclusive resort where you have food at every turn, we felt the portion sizes were ideal. The Beach Party, by the way, had an incredible amount of food available at various stations around the area, all very well done.

One downside of this resort in our opinion is that it is divided into 2 distinct areas, with the Great House and villas on the hillside, and the Riviera Beach area on the other side of the very busy road. We had to ride the shuttle from one side to another. The shuttles ran frequently, and were clean and comfortable, so that wasn't the problem. But we like walking, especially at the beach, and that's not possible at this resort. The beach itself is quite small, but we enjoyed sitting down near the area where the Hobi Cats and other water sports items were located. There is a great area in the shade right at the water's edge.

The only other downside in our opinion is that the resort is an hour and a half ride from the airport. We opted for a private van rather than the airport transfer, which made the ride a bit more comfortable.

The Jamaican "No Problem Mon" attitude was prevalent throughout the resort. We had no negative treatment whatsoever as some reviewers reported. Honestly, we have found that when you treat everyone with respect, it tends to come back to you.

Overall, this was a very nice vacation. If you love lounging by the pool with a swim-up bar, good food, nice lodging, this is for you. If you like long walks on the beach, you may want to consider a different Sandals location.

Room Tip: The pool at the Great House is an active pool, so it is not quiet during the day if your room is nea...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank demoat
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I attended and photographed a wedding at this resort in December. The staff were some of the absolute best I've ever met (and I've travelled the entire world)...I will NEVER FORGET the incredibly romantic experience we enjoyed at the Grande Riviera. We might even come back! No need for butler services though folks, just enjoy your stay on your own! The beach was great, the food was incredible at the restaurants (my boyfriend was in jerk chicken ecstasy every night). On our 2nd year anniversary (which meant a lot to us) they treated us like king and queens, ensuring our entire night was special. On my boyfriend's birthday, they came running down the dock to deliver him a cake! I swear, I'll be singing the praises of the Sandals Grande Riviera for years!!!

Room Tip: If you don't like the room they gave you (ours was the worst room over-looking the parking lot...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

This was our second trip to SGR, so we knew what to expect. It's a lovely resort with lots of options. We stayed on the Riviera side, but visited the Manor side several times. We stayed in the cottage type rooms just behind the Riviera building and actually much preferred those accommodations to the Riviera building itself,where we stayed last year. I am mainly writing this review to mention a few people who stood out from the rest for us. We had dinner at Valentino's -- a lovely meal, but nowhere near the quality of the same meal I ordered last year. Still, it was enjoyable. Our best evening meals and by far best service were at the Manor House and Sabrina's. Jason at The Manor was terrific, and Junior from Sabrina's was fantastic. Also Claude,our waiter, and Travis (HTP) at Sabrina's were tops. Very charming and attentive. We didn't have the opportunity to eat at China Doll, as we left after waiting an hour with no food. Junior came to the rescue however, and saved the night! We hadn't complained to anyone, but Junior just happened to overhear me make a comment to my husband about the slow service. Nadia (server) and LaToya(Hostess) from Soy were helpful and accommodating. The Sandals Select Dinner was awesome. Neil and Rene looked after our table and did a fantastic job. They worked very hard , were very personable,and kept beautiful smiles on their faces throughout the evening. We also send a shout out and "well-done" to Karee (Bayside), Shadea(our turndown attendant), our excellent daytime attendant (we didn't get her name, but we were in room 2036 from March 7-14),Raquel in Concierge, and our man Tim Smith in water sports. Tim is awesome! Our final shout goes out to the lovely and talented Oliver, who entertained in Ethel's piano bar, as well as the Manor piano bar. What a great asset to SGR! As a suggestion to management, however, we urge you to replace the piano in Manor House. It sounded "dead" . No comparison with the one at Ethel's. A good piano player needs a proper instrument -- just saying'. Thanks to everyone who helped make our week so enjoyable. We would definitely return to this resort!!

Stayed March 2014
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this resort. We went on a work trip so our trip was paid for by his company, if we had used our own money to book this trip I would have definitely complained. Being that it was a Sandals Resort I was expecting the best/luxury. This resort was less then the best... the grounds we over grown, chipped paint every where, worn-out furniture and decorations, poor house keeping, just to name a few... The staff were friendly but not overly friendly or attentive. The food was good and the most fun we had was at the pool bar! Andre the bartender made our days fun!

The reason I am writing my review is because you have to travel 1 hour and 45 mins to get to this resort from the airport and Sandals can be pretty pricey. Like I said had I paid for this trip I would be very dissatisfied but I wanted to "warn" others who are expecting a luxury experience... This is not the resort for you!! I heard so many wonderful things about sandals resorts prior to this trip so I was a bit let down at my experience. I would give this 2 out of 5 stars if I had to rate.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank Bobbi T
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious resort. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.

Again, thank you for your feedback.
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I just got back from SGR we stayed from the 23 to the 30 of march and got married there . It was absolutely amazing. The beach was crystal clear water the food was amazing didn't wait to long for our food . Service was excellent everyone went out of there way to make our wedding/ honeymoon a trip to remember . A big shout out to our butlers Charlotte and Debbie . They were amazing ! And truly cared to make you happy .As far as the bus ride down to the other side not a big deal to us . Some people like being by the beach the whole and we like the pool so the hillside was good for us . The reSort is huge took us a little to find where everything is . No complaints for us . We will definitely be coming back ! Thank you to all the staff for a beautiful wedding !

• Stayed March 2014
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!