“Fabulous time w/sunshine & smiles!!!!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Fishers, Indiana
“Fabulous time w/sunshine & smiles!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I traveled to Jamaica for the first time ever on our honeymoon together to Sandals Grande Riviera. We had no idea what to expect however any expectation either of us may have had was exceeded by leaps and bounds!! The butler service we received was upstanding & our butlers Dacia & Necia were like family to us. If you ever go, request them!!!!! All our food was wonderful, the grounds were extremely clean and the pools were fabulous!!! Room had ample space but we were hardly ever there and this is a great place to meet other fun couples!!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,477)
North Pole, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

My wife and I just finished our first vacation to a Sandals resort and had an absolute blast. We visited the Sandals Grande Riviera in Ochoa Rios from 6-13 January 2014 and were in complete awe.
Some of the highlights were:
1. The restaurants were all great. Our favorite was Kimonos ( I think I spelled that right ). Our cook was Tex and he was full of energy and made our dining experience and blast. On a side note if you want dinner to be a quick affair do not dine in a one of the sit down restaurants. All restaurants are 5 course meals and take a good while to get through your meal. That's not bad thing we were just
not used to that.
2. We attended most of the nightly shows in the resorts outdoor theater. All shows were great and well worth attending.
3. The water sports area was fun. The paddle boards and hobbie cat sail boats were some of the highlights.
4. We went on the catamaran cruise to Dunn river falls and also did the Mystic Mountain tour. Both were great and a lot of fun.
5. Our shopping trip into Ochoa Rios was great just be prepared to be hounded at every turn.
6. Now for the bars: Holy Crap!!! If you like to partake then you picked the right place. The alcohol flows freely and the drinks are strong.

Lastly I would like to say that every staff member we came across at the resort was extremely polite, helpful and fun to be around. A special shout out goes to Andre and Lennox at the pool bar by the outdoor theater. If you are looking for a good bar and a good time go see them. They are both great guys. Andre can't sing worth a crap but he gives it his all and is very entertaining. Shout out also to Joseph (Playmaker). Joseph is part of the entertainment team and does a great job mingling with the guest. Hey Sandals all three of these great guys deserve a raise. They are a great representation of your company. Overall we had a complete blast and would return in a heart beat. Go and enjoy the fun!!!

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank Sitkachick
Nova Scotia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

This was my Husband and I first trip to Jamaica, and 2nd trip to the Caribbean (Other being Sandals Grande Antigua, still need to do a review for there ! was amazing for sure)

We had a great time ! the resort is beautiful and the staff/Service was great. Food is good, you will not go hungry ! there are many restaurants to choose from. Plenty to drink, activities and entertainment if you wish to get involved in that (it was lots of fun) but if you want relaxation, lots of areas to do that as well. Great all around resort and would love to go back sometime ! Thank you Sandals !

Keep in mind the resort is divided into 2 sides, Riviera side (Beach side) and Hill side (Where all the butler villas are) and you CANNOT walk from one side to the other as there's a busy street separating the 2 sides, but there's a shuttle that comes every 5-10 mins to take you back and forth so it's not an issue.

We stayed in the Riviera Cottages (Club Sandals category room on Riviera side) and we really liked it. It was quite at night, very cozy, well stocked fridge & Bar, free wifi which was accessible all around the resort, close to everything. AC worked great and wasn't loud, Bed was comfy (I'm a fussy sleeper and slept very well so that's saying something!)

I was a bit worried that I would be disappointed by the beach since I'm a beach lover and the beach here is small, but i wasn't! you can snorkle right off the beach in shallow water ! (Left side) it was great. We took some toast to feed the fish some mornings. In the middle section you can feed the fish as well, we even seen a small sting ray. In the right section is where the water sports are, we only had chance to use the Kayaks but it was fun, the water can be a bit rough at times so they have the red flag up with that is the case, or if it's caution, you should stay to the right because in the middle and to the left there are reefs in which you could run into as they surface the water.

If I had to be picky, there are a few things that could have been better:

Consistancy of drinks between the bars:
It seems like the bar staff may have their own specialties, so if you ask for a particular drink at another bar they may look at you kind of strange as they don't know what it is, or the same drink might be called something different or made differently.

Bees:
There seems to be a Bee problem at the Manor pool bar, they must be attracted to the sweet drinks. They are all flying around the bar which was a bit annoying.

Pool water:
I found the water in some of the pools to be murky, but seeing the amount of booze that gets spilled into the water I understand why, there are some games that are played around the pool bars and as you can imagine not all of it stays out of the pool lol.

Special requests:
My husband swallowed A LOT of sea water during our Snorkeling outing (we are not avid snorkelers...lol) and it made him quite sick. I wanted to order some plain rice / potatoes for him to try and get something in his stomach but Room Service said they could only bring what was on the room service menu as none of the restaurants were preparing what I was requesting. I didn't figure it would be a difficult request but other than that Room Service was great, and timely.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Riviera side if you want to be close to the beach and majority of the restauran...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Stephanie M
Occoquan, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

Enjoyed our 5th trip to Sandals in Jamaica, first time at Grande Riveria. The hillside butlers village was so nice and the butler were great. Very sweet and attentive! (Thank you Gay-Ann and Oren!) Sandals takes great care of their guests from the moment you arrive at their lounge in the airport until they drop you off at the end of your vacation. Because Grande Riveria is on a hillside with the resort divided in half by a busy road, it requires visitors to use their very efficient shuttle busses to get around the resort quickly. Nice ambiance overall, and typical wonderful Sandals experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in the butlers village which is on the hillside. The resort is actually divided into 2 se...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PuzzlePaloozaEtc
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon from Jan. 4-11 as it was highly recommended by a friend and our travel agent Nancy Finn from Island Getaways. Had the butler service, which was very nice! We had two butlers who brought us coconuts down at the beach twice and made sure we were comfortable everyday. We didn't use our butlers to the fullest, and probably wouldn't book again, but was nice having for the week. Food is great, lots of options- favorite was Kimonos, Valentino's and the Reef. Lots of activities going on every night so you'll never be bored! Since we had the butler service we stayed on the "Hillside" and found ourselves taking the short shuttle down to the Ochi beach club daily- very fast and reliant, two shuttles that run every five minutes. Disappointed that the beach wasn't literally right out of our room, but it worked just fine. Pools are great with swim up bars. Service was awesome- someone was always wanting to serve you a drink.

We did three adventures- dolphin swin, shopping and Dunn's cruise. Highly recommend Dunn's River Falls Catamaran Cruise!

Bring your small bills for tips- even though you're not supposed to tip, the workers definitely deserved it and appreciated it!

Room Tip: Riviera side rooms if you like the beach and don't want butler service.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela G
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We visited the resort for a third visit from December 29- January 10, 2014. It just keeps getting better. We are Sandals Diamond members (22 trips), have visited every Sandals resort and just started our own Travel Agency ( dreamwithustravel.com) to share our knowledge and love of Sandals!

Upon arrival, the wonderful GM, Brian Roper and HM, Vishal were ready to greet us. These managers plus Suelin in Sales and Tamon, butler manager were present every day. Always interacting with guests, always asking how things were going. It is clear that they care about their guests so much. To me, this is what makes a resort run so well- manager presence, role- modeling excellent customer service. EVERY SINGLE member of the staff was warm, happy, friendly and bent over backwards to make sure you were happy. No frowns, no so- so service ever. Nothing but exceptional service from every single staff member. Kudos to management on this staff!

We had booked an entry- level butler suite and were thrilled to once again have Alshane as our butler. This man is one of the hardest- working, skilled butlers in the Sandals chain. More importantly, he is the kindest person you'll ever meet. He took care of us flawlessly for almost two weeks, anticipating our needs and quietly providing great service. He did things like unpack our clothes, bring us our favorite snacks and drinks, arrange special surprises ( like a lobster lunch for my husband's birthday!) and just generally pampered us.

We had two rooms during our stay- the first was an oceanview one bedroom butler villa. Great renovated room with nice finishes and a lovely oceanview. After a few days, we were upgraded to the Romeo and Juliet suites. These are some of the nicest, most private rooms in the entire Sandals chain. Private courtyard with pool and jacuzzi. Fully renovated with gorgeous new decor and furnishings. Consider this room for a special trip like a honeymoon. We also had the pleasure of touring many other room categories and all were impressive. Even entry level rooms at this resort are beautiful-nicely renovated & spacious. Many with beautiful ocean or garden views.

The beach at this resort is broken into a few coves. But what I like so much about it is the privacy. Yes, there are longer beaches in the world, but this one has no vendors, no one bothering you while you read or rest and there is little " noise" of boats, no jet skis, etc. The middle beach in front of Jamie's sports bar is surrounded by a pier which means the water is crystal clear, completely calm and completely seaweed and rock free. Really nice!

Another great feature of this resort is that there are so many different pools to choose from. The Manor House pool on the hillside is huge. Zero- entry, swim up bar, plenty of room to float the day away. Staff here was really friendly. Plenty of chairs so no 6am chair game which is key when you are trying to relax.

Our favorite hang out was the Ochie Beach Club pool/ beach area managed by the wonderful Sadiq. What a team here! Every bartender ( especially Dwayne and Alex), every waitress ( Anna, Annmarie) and watersports person ( especially Chaz, Melissa) was so sweet, so fun, so helpful- the greatest group of people! Music here was awesome. Different type of music every day giving it sort of a swanky " club" feel. Hats off to the entire Ochie Beach club team for making every day so much fun!

Food at the resort was generally very good. The breakfast was excellent, lunch buffet varied with great food, all the grills had excellent daytime food. Dinner food was also very good with Valentino's, Kelly's and Neptune's being our favorites. The chocolate buffet this resort puts out is by far the best of any sandals resort. The quality and variety is just amazing. Lobster was plentiful and usually available either as a standard menu item or as a special at most restaurants. Room service was prompt, served hot and the menu had a good variety.

My husband dove and played golf and enjoyed both very much. Mouse and the entire dive team are top notch. He was happy to have his favorite caddy again (Everett) and said the course was great to play. Watersports equipment was in great shape and we enjoyed taking the hobie cats out for a sail a few times. My FIL played tennis every day with Ken and had a great time. I "looked" at the fitness center a few times (LOL) and was impressed by the quality of the equipment.

The spa was excellent. The staff there was very talented and not pushy. We often went in to use the steam room and they were as nice to us as if we were spending lots of $ on services. Great group there.

New Year's Eve was quite a party. Great food, beautiful decorations, great DJ and band. Fun staff and lots of champagne. everyone was dressed to the nines ( well, most were). What a fun party! Other entertainment was also quite good especially the Silver Birds on Saturdays and Peter Lloyd's reggae show.

In terms of value, this resort can't be beat. It continually prices the best in the Sandals chain and delights in all areas. You won't find a better priced butler room at Sandals. truly a " bargain" when you look at how butler rooms price at other resorts. And it is truly an exceptional property.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank connied76
Racine, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed for 8 nights 12/27 thru 1/4. Overall a great time with just a few negatives

Airport/Shuttle/
We used club Mobay for arrival and arrived in the sandals lounge 25 minutes after getting of the plane. When we go to the lounge we had time for the bathroom and a beer for the road. I didn't notice any snacks in the sandals lounge at the time. We were immediately taken to our shuttle and the last ones to get on. We stopped halfway for bathroom, food and drinks. If you have been to Jamaica you know the drive is a bit scary all of the time. Here we are driving down the highway, the driver changes lanes and hits a car. He pulls over gets out, comes back 5 minutes later and said it was the other drivers fault (yeah right total payoff). After that we arrived without a hitch.

Checkin: First off let me say our first experience at SRC was for our honeymoon 10 years ago and I still remember how we were treated like royalty. Not so for this check in. The shuttle arrives a bellman takes us to the concierge area. They were short with us no drinks or snacks were offered and if I were a first time sandals guest I would be confused.

Room: Loved our room we had a 4th floor oceanview concierge room. It was clean and the only issue we had was a toilet that would plug for any reason. After a day that was sorted out. Our room was kept clean and stocked for the most part. On NYE our room didn't get cleaned at all. It seemed to me that most employees had the day off or were working the NYE party. THe next day there was an note saying sorry for not cleaning. We thought that was a very nice gesture. What I want to say about concierge is if you need your fridge stocked and call they will do it. The room was quiet at night you could hear a tiny bit of noise from outside but not enough to keep me up or wake me up.

beachparty: At 445 we left our room to search out some food since we had not eaten since 5am. Everything was closed because they were setting up for the beach party that night. We were told to get on the shuttle and go to the Manor for the grill. We just waited it out and were pretty much the first ones at the beach party. THe food was good but I thought the party was kind of lame. Maybe it was because I was tired. After the party we kind of just walked around a little and a few drinks and went to bed early.

Beach/pools/watersports: As we knew going in the beach is broken up into 3 parts and it was good enough for us. The ochi beach club beach was very nice, when we did spend time at a beach that is where we went. There is a drink waitress on the beach which is a very nice benefit.
The watersports area and people working it are great. We only had a chance to snorkel twice (rough waters for 2 days).
We spent most of our time in the ochi beach club pool we met some really fun people and had a great time. I have to mention the beach club playmaker Karha she was awesome.

Restaurants: We had many great dinners Soy Neptunes and Reef terrace were our favorites. We ate at Valentions the day we went on the Cataraman booze cruise so I really couldn't tell you if it was great or good. In my review I would like to tell you about the bad.

Kimonos: We were at a table with a snotty family from Orlando (parents and adult children) 2 honeymoon couples and us. Well the rich people were getting all of the attention. The rest of us couldn't get a drink and were pretty much ignored. THe service was horrible and I almost lost it when the snotty people were served coffee and none was offered to us. Food was not bad just a terrible experience

bayside breakfast buffet: a buffet is a buffet and this one is the same thing over and over everyday. The bayside has 2 seating areas inside and out. One morning we walk up and want to be seated outside. We are told no you must sit inside. Not 10 minutes later do we see people seated outside. Not cool at all. I went to our concierge about this and who knows if they ever did anything at all.

Jaimes was a fun time for the most part it had great bartenders. We watched the packers bears game there with both fans. It was great time and the bartenders were really great about keeping our beers filled and making touchdown shots.

Over our vacation we met many people who stayed on the manor side and weren't happy with being over there for one reason or the other. We went over there for the returning guest dinner, NYE party and at first to check it out. It seemed like those staying over there were much more catered to.

Excursions: We did the dunns fall cruise that was so much fun and the falls were cool to experience. You have about 90 minutes to drink after the falls and you will get drunk. I'm pretty sure we were on a cruise with mostly lame people but my husband and I along with a few others made it fun. When we got off the cruise we took over the ochi beach club pool and partied. Good times
River Tubing and zipline: The tubing was neat but the lifejackets smelled like armpits ugh. We were given a helmet that I know they don't clean very gross. I'm not down with someone strapping me into my zipline gear who is high as heck. NOT COOL at all. I will never ever do this ever again.

We are returning guests so were were invited to that dinner. It's a very nice touch it really is.

The resort over all was clean. I loved walking on the pier at night and listening to the waves. We didn't go many things at night other than dinner and walk the pier. After we sat in the sun and drank all day we were always pretty wiped out.

On our last day my husband was asked for tips by a few employees. I'm not cool with this at all. Sandals is all inclusive no tipping. I understand that the employees don't make much money, however when you pay for your trip tipping is included in that price.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,748 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!