“Best service in 30 years”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We went to Sandals, grande Riveria Jamaica for our 21 st wedding anniversary. The service was excellent and the people so friendly. We got a Bouganvillia Hideaway One Bedroom Suite that was so perfect. The pool out back was clean and refreshing after days on the beach and after our zipline experience.
Some people we would like to name specifically thAt made our trip fantastic are:
Jerome and Damon, our butlers.
Monique at the Polo Lounge
Fernando at the manner restaurant - get a Jamaican flight of rum here!
Jamie at the China Doll
Kemeshia at the Bayside restaurant
The guy who made omlettes everyday for breakfast

We were sad to come home, I could have stayed longer. Wonderful Sandals experience. We will take a vacation with them again for sure!

3  Thank Karen T
Write a ReviewReviews (8,685)

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Well after reading all the reviews concerning this resort I was a little skeptical and it could be a hit or miss with this resort. Well after being there for 7 days all I can say is the people that wrote the negative reviews must have either had a bad experience or had such high expectations that they were let down. Well I am here to say this resort is all that I expected and so much more. If I had one negative thing to say about this resort is that they need to hire a master pastry chef to upgrade their dessert menu. They lacked flavor and the pizazz you would expect from a top of the line resort
The staff was friendly and so professional and when the front desk staff remembers your name that's extraordinary and mind blowing. The grounds were kept very clean and manicured and even though it rained the first 2 days the grounds were perfect.
The resort activites were plentiful and if you don't want to leave the resort you can still do so much from snorkeling, sailing a hobie cat , scuba diving if you are already certified plus if you aren't just spend 90 bucks and get a beginners course and take your first dive 2 hours later I decided to do that and it was awesome the instructors were professional and very helpful.
The restaurants were all top notch and the menu selection was very good. The portions were small but not too small and since its an inclusive resort the wait staff was always prepared to take your order and if you asked for something extra with your meal they did it with a smile. I personally feel you really don't need to wear evening attire to 2 of the restaurants so I didn't go to those restaurants because I am in Jamaica and I didn't have any close toed shoes.
The rooms were awesome and very Cumfy the beds sat a little high but it was perfect. The room staff were professional and the rooms were always clean and restocked.
All in all for the price I paid this trip was worth it. The resort was perfect. And the entire island and staff welcomed us with open arms and you really felt like you were home. All I can say is go into your trip with an open mind and prepared to be blown away and if you happen to have a bad incident with anything I guarantee all you have to do is ask the staff get it corrected if you have a bad trip then maybe a Sandals Resort is really not for you.
Just enjoy the liquid sunshine and let the staff take care of you and you will have a great trip

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Wolves1967
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We just returned home from our stay spanning June 22 to June 28. In a short sentence - we absolutely loved the place. It was our 10th time to Jamaica but our first time here. We stayed in the Oceans Edge Riviera Honeymoon Beachfront One Bedroom Butler Suite. Our butlers, Stanford and Joseph, were really unbelievable. From the initial champagne in the room to the completely decorated room for the day of our 25th wedding anniversary to our excellent breakfast on our balcony every morning. The food, the pools, the view were all excellent.

We did visit the villa side of the resort a couple of times. However, we very much preferred the Seaside part of the resort. Simply being on the ocean and in the middle of the action was our preference. We will return to this resort again.

To Stanford and Joseph - we could not have asked for more. You both are great.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jplex
Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is our second review of this property, having previously stayed there in May 2012 in a concierge level villa on the Manor side. We have recently returned from another 14 day trip to the same villa as 2012, although on this occasion it had been elevated to Butler level along with all the Manor side villas. This was our first direct experience of ‘Sandals Butlers’ despite the fact that we have vacationed at various Sandals resorts for in excess of 150 nights over the past 20 years.
Because we had booked this vacation last year, we were upgraded to Butler service FOC, although my initial reaction was to opt out. When it became apparent that it was only going to be Butler level guests that were going to be able to dine in Kelly’s Dockside, this was the thing that initially swung it in favour of accepting the upgrade.
Before I go into a general review of the resort, can I just say that we were allocated 2 of the most charming Butlers in Dacia and Necia, who looked after us exceptionally and left us wondering why we had not paid for this service previously. The 2 ladies were totally outstanding in everything they did and really raised the bar (no pun intended) with their overall level of service.
We obviously knew that it would take 1.5 hours to travel from MBJ to the resort and this journey is done at a leisurely pace (max speed limit is 80 kph) on a fairly upgraded road which allows you to see a bit of the real Jamaica.
As stated earlier, we stayed on the Manor side of the resort which was entirely our choice. It does amaze me that so many people complain on this site about (a) the journey time from the airport and (b) the fact that there is a road (single carriageway road which is not busy and certainly is not the high speed motorway described by some!!) separating the Riviera and Manor sides of the property.
Surely if you are going to be spending thousands of dollars/pounds you would research the product first ??.
Food in general is very good with plenty of choice amongst the various restaurants throughout the resort. Our personal favourites were Kellys, Valentinos and Kimonos. We had all breakfasts in the Market Place restaurant apart from when our Butlers treated us to room service, which was very nice.
Throughout the resort, you will be treated as part of the Sandals family by people who really show that they care about you having a good time – from the minute you meet the wonderful Ingrid with a real Jamaican Smile (not the cocktail !) in the front lobby, to the various management teams and in true Scottish fashion, to the barman and waitresses, such as Antoneill (Could have been on the stage !), Lauri Ann, Hyest, Monique, Suzi Ann and the many others – they are the best.
As a certified PADI diver, took advantage of the included diving on offer. Having dived with many companies throughout the world, Sandals and in particular the Grande Riviera team (Mouse – you are the best thanks !) provide the safest and most informative diving experience I have ever encountered. Their equipment is first rate and although the coral surrounding Jamaica is becoming a little ‘worn’, the package on offer is first class.
Going back to the accommodation, we stayed in a Tropical Paradise Estate one bedroomed villa, which is situated on one level near to the Manor House. It shared a small swimming pool with another room and provided a perfect setting for a couple of Red Stripes in the afternoon after a hard day on the beach. The room was well furnished, with the usual 4 poster bed, full wet bar, 2 x 42” TVs and a separate livingroom. The room was kept spotlessly clean by Tomaio from housekeeping who did a wonderful job.
All in all, we had an outstanding vacation and had no negative points to report. Whilst I appreciate that some may think that my views on Sandals are somewhat biased after so many visits, can I also point out that both my wife and I have travelled extensively throughout Europe, Middle East and Asia staying in accommodation ranging from budget to 5 star. In my opinion, the overall product offered by Sandals beats the lot hands down.
Our only regret on this visit was not using the wonderfully entertaining Tyrone in the Soon Come Back desk to book our 2014 vacation – this was purely down to the fact that we had already booked our next trip for next year before we arrived.

Room Tip: Villa/Manor side is quieter and more secluded
11  Thank NeilSusan
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here from 6/13/13-6/19/13 after getting married at Sandals Whitehouse. We had a terrible first 2 nights at the resort because we stayed on the beach side and the we couldn't go to sleep until 3am because of the noise from the bars and people on the beach. After switching rooms twice the first night on the second day they upgraded us to butler and our neighbors were so loud until 3am in the pool we shared that we couldn't go to sleep again. Even called security twice but no one came. Was very disappointed that they didn't off any type of compensation to refund part of the two nights since it was such a terrible experience.

Finally from the third night onwards it was good. Other than that the food was excellent and our Butlers LaToya and Paula were excellent. They made the trip worth while but still didn't totally make up for the disappointment. Our butlers took care of everything for us and even left us treats everyday in our room.

The other bad thing about this resort is that there basically isn't any beach but the water sports they offered were really good. It all depends on what you are looking for. If you are hoping to relax and be on a nice beach this isn't your place but if you are looking to party and go to a lot of excursions than this is your place.

Overall the trip was ok but I wouldn't return to Grande Riviera.

Room Tip: Stay on Butler Side
2  Thank xu15anthony
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed at the Ochos Rios hillside villa which had its very own private pool. We stayed there from 6/19-6/26 and I have to say this was my best vacation ever!!! I was there with my boyfriend to attend a family wedding and from the moment we got there I was impressed.
We had to take an hour and a half bus ride there which was tiresome but that had nothing to do with our experience at theak hotel. Once we got there, I was amazed at the size and how beautiful the resort was. It was very lush, green and tropical. An absolute delight to see!
We were led into the butlers lounge and after a few moments we got to meet our butlers, Patrick and Makiko. Patrick led us to our room and went over what to expect for the next week.
Throughout our stay our butlers were amazing. They made our reservations, checked up on us and were always available any time we called. I had mentioned that I didn't get a chance to try any type of desert on my way back to my room and later that night Patrick showed up with a variety of deserts just for me!! I was so happy with his thoughtfulness and attention to detail. Another night after we were out having a lazy beach day, Makiko picked us up to bring us back to our room and she decorated our bed with flower petals, wrote us a very nice note and had a hot bath with flowers ready for us. It was amazing being catered to and having our butlers do the little things to make us happy.
All in all we had an amazing trip and I would visit Jamaica again but it was the personal touch and service we received from our butlers that made me fall in love with this trip. They made this vacation as relaxing and stress free as it could've been and leaving the resort was very hard to do.
I cried when I had to leave and it was very hard getting used to life without my personal butlers! The service we received at Sandals was the best of my life and is the main reason I would visit all over again!!
If you want to enjoy a tropical, stress free vacation, I strongly suggest visiting Sandals! They pride themselves at making you !as happy as possible.
I was so happy, I didn't want to leave!!
I would like personally thank Patrick and Makiko for taking such good care of us and making this the best vacation of our lives!! Hopefully we can visit again soon, I already miss them!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Padmani
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Some of our great friends did a destination wedding at this location and of course you have to consider it vacation when you go to Jamaica. Overall, I can't say enough good things about the resort, staff and facilities. The locals at the airport were a little rough around the edges but once at the resort; you couldn't ask for more helpful or nice people. We had a great time and "no on" in our 30+ party had a bad time.

We stayed on the seaside in the villas. It was extremely quiet and peaceful and no matter where you were in the resort someone was always waiting to help you. The only issue that arose was our air-conditioning in our room. However, with one phone call it was fixed before we got back from the lagoon. As far as the view, it was unbelievable and the resort has any amenities at your beckon call.

Great huge breakfast every morning, awesome experience to drink a cup of coffee in the mornings if you’re an early riser like me. I can't really brag on the rest of the food with exception to Soy, the sushi place, it was great. All of the bartenders are fun, upbeat and can make any drink for you.

We took a catamaran out for snorkeling, dunns waterfall walk and of course the end is a booze cruise. It was a blast but my wife and I didn't do the waterfall other than some good pictures people said it wasn't that good.

1  Thank ChadEverett
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!