“Wonderful vacation.”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here 4/28-5/4. Service was great from the moment we arrived to the airport. We had a concierge room and were greeted by Lydia with champagne. She provided all our details and was very helpful throughout our entire stay. The rooms were clean and fully stocked with all necessities. If we didn't have something Karian at Concierge always made sure we were stocked up immediately. Overall the food was really good. Our favorites were Bayside, Kimonos and Soy. Tameka at Soy was such a great server which made for a perfect last dinner. We enjoyed both pools and pool bars but Andre and Bishop were awesome and kept us laughing even when they were super busy. The activities provided were a lot of fun to participate in. However we were disappointed one day when the playmakers didn't show up for beach volleyball. Paddle boarding was awesome so glad it was included! Evening entertainment was great! We really enjoyed the Reggae night at the amphitheater. There was a great variety of excursions to choose from. We did the catamaran to Dunn's River Falls and it was well worth it. Snorkeling was just ok but the falls are beautiful! Also took the Bob Marley 4x4 ride which was also incredible. What a beautiful ride up the mountains. It was awesome to interact with the locals and learn more of their culture. Overall, the trip was amazing and Sandals did a really great job. We will most definitely be returning to Jamaica and a Sandals resort in the future. Thank you to the resort and its employees for such a great week!

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Christine W

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

This was my 3rd time at SGO, but 1st time there for a full week. I had a great deal to stay in a villa with a semi-private pool and just needed to relax. Mission accomplished.

If you prefer a long stretch of beach, choose a different property. I knew I could settle for less beach time during this stay. I know where to go for my long walks on the beach.

Check out the Red Lane Spa while on the property for exclusive deals. I took advantage of booking a massage on the beach gazebo. It was perfect!

The food was almost perfect. I loved the jerk chicken at the grill, the dinner options at The Manor, Reef Terrace & Valentinos. The pizza was yummy too! Every dining experience in other restaurants was not perfect, but I have nothing bad to report.

I must suggest that you go with the mindset no one is perfect...so you can truly enjoy all that is good regardless of any imperfections during your stay.

The property is well-kept, the pool cabanas now cost $49 on the manor side, the Kelly's Dockside restaurant is back to serving only Butler guests. However, operational changes do occur, so it seems best to be flexible and not be attached to the info you read online. Direct contact with management on the property is very helpful and priceless. Gratefully, I know how to make that happen ;)

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank SheilaIsTru
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been to several Sandals Resorts in the last 3 years, including 2 in St Lucia (Grand and La Toc) and also Negril.

This resort is HUGE! We stayed in the new Butler Villa's which was really spacious, clean, and freshly painted/decorated. We had a pool and 2 butlers that shuttled us around by golf cart. In the villa side there was a main building with a HUGE, I MEAN HUGE pool and pool bar, rock climbing, another pool, a few restaurants, etc. The gyms had been recently redone and the equipment was brand new. The cardio room was huge and the treadmills were awesome, each with their own screen and ipod doc.

The seaside was awesome and was where the 2 other pool bars were, including the Ochi beach club, several restaurants, etc. We never felt bored there, there was always something to do and we sat out at a different pool bar each day, it was better then a resort that only had one main pool.

Our butlers- Jazelle and Fernando. Both were super friendly, however when we would ask Jazelle for something he often couldn't do it, like move our table at a restaurant or change our reservation, when Fernando made whatever we asked for happen and quickly. It seemed Fernando was more experienced then Jazelle at being a butler. Instead of Jazelle saying "I'll check and see" Fernando was like "Yes, anything else". Like he made it happen. He kept our fridge stocked and was always right on time to pick us up for dinner, or whatever.

The Playmakers were great- we played several games with them including "Shot of Love" which was a blast! Taneisha and "Smiley" were great! They kept us laughing and remembered our names the whole week. Taneisha even found us before we left to say good bye! We were also pleasantly surprised to get a prize pack for winning one of the pool games, which was a cute ladies red stripe shirt (in my size too, x-small) and a golf cap for my husband. We really thought they went above and beyond.

The restaurants were great and there were so many we didn't get to try them all. Our favorites was The Manor, Kelly's (Butler service guests only), and Valentinos. Our waitress at Kelly's was so cool- we chatted it up for a while!

We ate at Kimonos on my birthday (the big 30!!) and Tex was our chef he was HILLARIOUS!

The watersport guys were okay, we thought they were a bit nicer in Negril. They didn't snorkel with us and they didn't take our photo underwater like they had in Negril.

The piano bar was really nice and so was the roof top terrace bar at the seaside (above Valentinos) both were really fun. Jamies location was great bc it was right on the beach.

Lastly we had no issues with bugs, which is always a concern for me!

OKAY FOR THE BAD:

The beach is really really small, especially compared to Negril. The Ochi Beach Club area is very rocky in the water too. Hurts your feet.

The nightlife....wasn't much after 11pm. We managed to stay out till 2 one night but I swear it was like a handful of people. This was at Jamies Sports Bar. I'm pretty sure the people were the workers friends.

MINT- bars kept running out of mint for mohitos.
NO CAPTAIN MORGAN- my hubs was disappointed. We were able to get at other Sandals resorts.

The coral reef they take you snorkeling isn't that nice, compared to the other resorts we have been to. It's not that colorful and there wasn't any rays, big fish, starfish, etc.

Last bad- Dunn River. This was a total tourist trap, not sandals problem but I thought Id mention it just in case anyone was thinking of doing it. We loved the catamaran ride/party boat.

OVERALL- We will prob book another trip here. We liked the feeling that it was like staying at 2 resorts and there was always something to do. We never had an issue finding a chair at the pool and the resort was at full capacity. Def recommend for the price.

Room Tip: Villas were great, less hotel like then other places.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Tiffanymro
Reviewed May 8, 2013

As sixty-year-olds, my wife and I had reservations about going to a couples resort, wandering not only if we'd be one of a few older guests, but if, traveling alone to a "couples" resort, we'd be too "alone!" None of those fears were warranted, as we were surprised by not only the full range of guest ages, but the fact that guests of all age groups freely socialized together... on the beach, in the pools, at the many, on-property restaurants and bars, and even on off-property tours (easily booked at the resort)!

The food on-property was excellent, the service impeccable, and the decors quite varied, from the elegant to casual. Top shelf spirits were very available, but you should ask for your
preference; I never expected to be able to sip Remy Martin VSOP cognac at a pool bar!

Our room was delightful, luxurious and elegantly appointed... and the housekeeping staff maintained standards at a level I've rarely seen.

We stayed beachside, but shuttle service to the Villas was frequent and comfortable. There were two separate grand pools, with in-pool bars at both sides of the main beach building. One was off the water sports beach (yes, all the boats, kyaks, sea trykes, sailboards, etc. are included and, more importantly, available! Even the glass bottom boat tours were included!); the other off the open ocean beach. A third beach was sheltered by surrounding stone & concrete breakers, topped by a boardwalk with a restaurant & bar, ample seating, and sheltered huts where one can have a couples massage over the water! And a third, inside bar immediately abutted the sands of
this beach!

Finally, with VERY few exceptions, all of the staff were attentive and warm & personable! And even though early March is considered in-season, no guest facility on property was ever crowded, save for the absolutely fabulous Friday night beach party, and that was a positive!

Go! You will enjoy! We will be back!

Room Tip: A few rooms beachside, even ocean front, don't have balconies; check on that when you book.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Tom D
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were in Jamaica April 22-29 and had an amazing time. First off, thank you to our butlers Dennis and Nadine. They took care of our every need.

ROOM:
We were on the Manor side in one of the Villas with a butler. We loved the quite part of the resort and always found a chair at the pool. Room was beautiful and we are use to staying in really nice hotels (some reviews countered this..........not sure their standards)

FOOD:
Breakfast at China Doll was our favorite. My husband got filet Mignon for breakfast which made him happy. Breakfast at Sabrina's was also great because of the assortment of food. I loved the croissants. And I asked for Baileys in my cappuccino which started the day off right. WE LOVED Soy for sushi. And Valentino but get reservations right when you arrive or else you won't get in. Overall the food was good. Don't expect 5 star but we enjoyed everything.

EXCURSIONS:
This was the only problem we had but it is handled by an outside company so I don't blame Sandals. And really it was minor. We just were not explained what to bring on the trips (we did the dolphin swim and honeymoon horseback ride). YOU NEED WATER SHOES. And a towel, and tip money............etc. Maybe it was the wedding brain but we were like lost kids on these. BUT we had a great time. The honeymoon horseback ride was our favorite. Spend the extra money on the honeymoon one. You get your own private guide, champagne and jerk chicken on the beach and a CD of the pictures. Its worth it.

WHAT I WISH I KNEW BEFORE:
*All the great places you can enjoy on the resort. We were there for 7 days and never felt that the place was full or people were on top of us.
* Go to the nighttime events. We did the reggae night, white night (PACK WHITE!!!), and Beach party. Missed a few because we were worn out.
*How much to tip the butlers. We researched like crazy and saw all kind of amounts. So we did $20 a day.
* To bring or buy water shoes........if you are doing excursions
* The beach activities are so fun and unlimited! We did the glass bottom boat, paddle board and sail boat. Take advantage.
* Enjoy the Red Lane Spa. They have saunas and steam rooms. I turned my husband on to saunas on this trip. Mission accomplished.

5  Thank Robin S
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My wife & I traveled to Sandals Grande Riviera for our 10th Anniversary. Overall, this is an outstanding resort. We have been to other Sandals and non/Sandals properties in Jamaica and this resort rates fairly well in comparison.

As many other reviewers have noted, The Sandals Grande Riviera is really two resorts masquerading as one. The Seaside is right on the ocean and contains most of the restaurants, bars, pools and activities. The Manor side is up the hill and contains the main building, three restaurants, a very large pool and all-butler cottages. We stayed on the seaside and were extremely happy with our choice. It was nice to be close to the ocean and to be able to walk back to our room if needed. We visited the manor side a couple times and it is also very nice. Much quieter and a little more formal. Your choice of locations really depends on the type of trip you want to have. I will say that the rooms in the Bamboo Grove building (where we stayed) face the ampitheater where they have entertainment most nights. This can get a little loud if your an early-to-bed kind of person. The shows were usually done by 10pm, however.

The food was excellent at each restaurant we tried. Breakfast is buffet style, but you can get made-to -order eggs or omlets if you wish. No complaints about the bar service or liquor selection. Beer is either Red Stripe or Red Stripe Light, so be prepared if you are picky.

Overall an outstanding resort and staff. Location in Ocho Rios is ideal if you want to do daily excursions, as most of the popular ones are nearby. We will likely try other resorts before going back to this one, but that has more to do with us than with the resort. If you choose to travel to this resort, I have every confidence that you will have an outstanding vacation.

Room Tip: Bamboo Grove rooms are close to everything, though it can get noisy on nights with ampitheater enter...
2  Thank GlobeTripper
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Pictures are deceiving. The beach is unbelievably small, not at all like it is portrayed in the picture. We should have read the reviews more thoroughly. We stayed on the villa side with pool and butler. Room was OK, nothing to shout about. We stayed in Villa 7 which is right next to the Butler Pantry (where the butlers congregate and where housekeeping keep their supplies). It is very noisy during the day. We again were surprised that we had to be shuttled back and forth to the beach. Shuttles were constant so the wait time at both ends was minimal. Food again was OK. A shout out to Ashley, a waiter in the Bayside Restaurant. He is so very nice and friendly. Some of the staff at Dino's Pizzeria need some retraining. My husband and I sat down at a table that had just been vacated, so the table needed to be cleaned. We were quite happy to sit there, in the shade until the staff were available to clear it. When a staff member came over, the member said "I don't appreciate you sitting at a dirty table." Hmmm... quite surprising. We stood until it was cleaned. We put it down to a "bad day". Should you go to Kimonos Japanese restaurant, try to schedule your time in order to have Tex as your Chef. He is hilarious! Maybe we were spoiled at the Sandals Great Exuma, Emerald Bay, Bahamas in January. It was superb.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
#8 of 64 in Montego Bay
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!