“Not as great as I had hope”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Jamaica and we still love it. This was our second trip to a Sandals. Our first one was Negril and it was fantastic. This trip was for our 25th wedding anniversary and we were a little disappointed in the accommodations. We stayed on the beach side in the Riviera building which is beach front with an ocean view. We had a concierge level room on the 5th floor. The concierge staff was great and fulfilled our needs. This review is mostly around staying in the Riviera building and the beach side. We did visit the hillside a couple of times but that was to a restaurant and the Chocolate buffet. The shuttle drops you off at the main building and you can't see any of the accommodations from there so I can't comment on them.

The Riviera building definitely needs updating. It didn't ruin our trip but all the little things add up which will cause us not to return. They have done a lot of renovations on the hillside and they are now all butler suites. But we are beach people and wanted to stay on the beach side so I hope they start doing some updating there.

We had booked an "Ocean's Edge Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge Room" and was upgraded to the "Ocean's Edge Penthouse Beachfront Concierge Room". I am not sure there was any difference in the room other than we were on the 5th floor instead of maybe a lower floor. The room was kind of small with the furniture. Two people couldn't walk by between the bed and the cabinet that contained the flat screen TV and the drawers for your belongings. The TV had sliding wooden doors which didn't open up far enough to clear the whole TV so the screen appeared smaller than it really was. The lighting in the room was not very good especially the bathroom. It was very dismal lighting in the bathroom which made it hard to put make up on and do your hair. The water pressure in the shower was not very good. On the day we were leaving we had to get up early so I took a shower about 6:30 in the morning and I could tell the pressure was even worse. My husband went to take his about 7:00 and there was only a trickle of water coming out of the shower head. So he couldn't even take a shower which didn't start his day off right. We normally took showers after we came up from the beach in late afternoon so never had tried a morning one. The building must not be able to handle a busy time of water consumption. The beds sit up very high and that made it difficult for a shorter person to get in and out of bed without scraping the back of your legs jumping down to the floor. The balconies are kind of small so you have to be careful when opening the French doors so you don't hit the table. The doors are warped probably from the humidity so there very hard to close which makes it noisy to go in and out especially if your spouse is still sleeping. I like to sit out there in the morning and drink my coffee.

I know these are a lot of little things and you don't spend a lot of time in your room but for the money you spend staying at a Sandals I expected better. Isn't that one of the reasons you stay at a Sandals.

Now on to the beaches. As other reviewers have mentioned the beaches are small. They are broke up into 3 beach areas. The one end is down by where the water sports are and is nestled in the trees so it is very shady and very small. The middle section which I think is the nicest and probably has the biggest area. It has the pier/dock around the water which helps make the water a little warmer and is also rock free stepping out into it. The last section at the other end is where the beach club is with the pool. It also has a small beach area but is very rocky trying to walk out in the water. A lot of people turn back because of this. We had brought our water shoes so we would put them on to walk out into the water. But after a couple days we started using the middle section of the beach.

As other reviewers have mentioned this resort has a lot of stairs and isn't really handicap accessible. It reminds me of the Las Vegas strip where you walk up stairs to cross the street and then walk down stairs to get back on the sidewalk. The beach area is like this. When you come down from your room you walk down three flights of stairs to get to the middle beach. If you want to go to the beach pool from the middle beach you walk up 3 flights of stairs and walk back down to get to this beach.

The resort grounds are nice and well taken care of. The food is average and above depending on where you eat. The only place we didn't like was the pizza from Bella Napoli. It was all crust and wasn't even real pepperoni on it. I think it was some kind of sausage instead. We never tried Dino's pizza on the hillside maybe it was better. For the beach party on Friday night it was a buffet and was very good food and a lot of variety. As I mentioned above there was a chocolate buffet one night which was on the hillside and it was great. We didn't eat at the two restaurants that require evening attire (Valentino's and Kimonos) since were more casual people while we are on vacation. We did eat at Kelly's Dockside which requires reservations and the food was very good. The portions are small but there are several courses to the meal so you don't leave there hungry. Other reviews have mentioned that Kelly's is now only for people with butler rooms but they do have some times reserved for the concierge rooms also. You just make the reservations through the concierge staff. I would advise doing that upon arrival because they do fill up fast.

We had a good time and it was nice and relaxing and the staff is great but we will probably not return to this resort for the above reasons.

Room Tip: Most of the restaurants and the entertainment are on the beach side. So if you don't want to ta...
2  Thank nkeec
Write a ReviewReviews (8,873)

Reviewed April 28, 2013

The best bang for the buck and so much more!!! Where do I start? Hospitality...... No worries.... Everything you could ever want ?..... That is what you will get......
We went for the firstbtime to both Sandals and Jamaica this past week. We extended our stay after 7 days for another 2 days , because we just were not ready to leave yet.
The jamaican people are wonderful! The staff and service at Sandals went above any expectations we could have had.
From dinning, resort events, the spa, the tours and lets not forget the greatest SCUBA DIVING team ever!!!!!
We did a little of everything in 9 days, but, mostly enjoyed learning to scuba dive while we were there. We had only intended on getting resort certified (which means to learn a begiiner level to just dive while we were at that resort with instructors and only at 30ft) .....well after one dive and a great class and pool time with this CREW, we were hooked!!!
Comfortable, professional, safe, and still fun...... I would recommend "any" person who has ever wondered about scuba to learn from them. I live in Florida and I have been around scuba my whole life and have never found a course that truly impressed me.... ( nothing against florida instructors) we all like and learn differently....... ;)
But, bar none Richie is one of the best instructors i have ever been around.... Patient, understanding, very smart, and fun. You never get bored with his teaching. But, all the dive staff is amazing......
I like to call them my new family............ Richie, Carl(Sawyers),Semaj,"Mouse", Dennis, Kevin, Capt. Winston and Capt.Clayton .......were the ones i spent the most time with, but everyone there is GREAT!
All and all this Sandals location was truly the best vacation i have ever had.
Full of great times and many memories.....
The catamaran boat ride to the Dunn's river falls is a must!!!! Not only a beautiful 60ft catamaran, but the cleanest boat I have ever been on.
Talk about fun........ Snorkel, climb the falls and turn the music up and drink and dance your way back. SO MUCH FUN!!!!! That whole crew will bring booty shaking out of anyone.
All the staff was energetic, professional and super fun....
Dj Kevin, Michelle,Bar tender Andre, Crumbs, and Anna are the life of the party. Everyone on that boat are thoughtful and the funniest tour staff on the planet.
So....SIGN UP FOR THIS TOUR!!!!!!
If you can, try the BUTLER ROOMS. it is well worth it. Jeremy Lindsay the butler is fantastic. A long with Richard the butler.
The rooms are wonderful, spacious, nice and super clean. The staff is sweet, thoughful and very kind to your every want or need.
I obviously could go on and on..........
But, i do have to name a few more of my personal superstars on my vacation.....
Mark... Host ( everywhere)
Natoya...hostess at sabrina's mrket place and manor house
Anika.... Neptunes and the beach bar and grill waitress
Abraham.... Neptunes and the beach bar and grill waiter
Oran.. Shuttle driver/jitney
Henycle.... kimonos manager
CLAUDE.... waiter .... Manor house, kimonos, ( the sweetest most thoughtful)
Andrew.... Bar tender at kimonos
Demar... Sabrina's market and kimonos waiter
Jerome... Waiter in training .... Kimonos, soy
And so many more..........
We had the most amazing time visiting Jamaica and sharing the culture and
learning from everyone there. THANK YOU ALL !!!!!
We are planning to visit again in 90 days....
And even though the entire place is wonderful and we would go back again.... We are going in 3 months because of the dive team........and to experience more scuba diving in crystal clear waters with an amazing dive team. Ships, planes and more reefs wait for us... ;)
Jen and Big Sean.

Room Tip: Butler service is awesome..... It is a suite.... But, any room there is well worth it and set up...
6  Thank Jen H
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at Sandals Grande Riviera in April 2013 for our Honeymoon. Our stay could not have been better. From when we got off the plane to the time we left we felt so comfortable in Jamaica. We were so relaxed and happy because of the awesome people of Jamaica who were so helpful and friendly. This resort is a pretty big resort but with the transportation options there was no problem getting around. There are 2 sides to the resort, one that is close to the beach and the other which is on the hillside. We stayed on the hillside in the honeymoon bougainvillea hideaway villa with a shared pool. Makiko and Patrick were our butlers and they made our stay amazing. Both were very helpful and able to assist us in any of our needs. Booking dinner reservations and providing room service were only small things compared to how friendly and helpful Makiko and Patrick were. My wife and I cannot say enough why they were a big part of the reason we enjoyed ourselves so much. I definitely would recommend them both to future vacationers. We spent a lot of our trip by the main pool because we found it was a good mix of fun and relaxation. We want to say thanks to Danielle at the main pool bar for such great service. Everyday for lunch we ended up having Dino’s pizza because it was perhaps the best pizza we have ever had!! The last night of our trip we had dinner at Bayside on the patio and we were glad we went to this restaurant. We thought that this was our favorite dinner we had there and with Ashley as our server being so awesome and very polite he made the evening amazing. The polo lounge was a great place to relax at night and always had a great “Daanngeeerous” (his favorite saying haha) time with Michael. Thanks to all that made our Honeymoon very special!!!!

2  Thank avlake
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Ochi Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Grande Riviera. We're happy to read that you had such a great honeymoon with us. You enjoyed our luxurious and fun amenities, delicious dining and the true hospitality of our friendly staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another amazing vacation in the near future.

Cassie C.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Only had two nights there before getting called home on an emergency, therefore we didn't spend a lot of time at the resort, but loved every minute we were there.

We stayed in a Bouganvillea Suite in a villa on the hillside. We truly loved the decor (very neutral colors) and the space and layout of the suite was perfect for us. We were suppose to be at the resort for 13 nights and I know we would have enjoyed that suite the entire time. My husband used the semi-private pool a couple of times, however it was too cold for me. We loved walking to and from our villa. It is like walking through little neighborhoods. Our butlers and the jitney drivers couldn't quite figure out why we never really wanted a ride. It was just so peaceful and the grounds were so beautiful that we enjoyed walking. We also walked the grounds on the beachside and it is beautiful on that side of the resort as well. You can't go wrong regardless of what side you choose to stay on. As most posts state you do need to take a shuttle down to the beach, but that was not a problem at all. They come routinely and quickly and it is just a short jaunt.

We walked both sides of the property to check out all areas and we spent time by the ocean and the manor pool. Both had ample number of chairs and we did not have any problem getting towels. There are so many areas to spend time that we could have been there over a week and never spent time in the same place twice (if we didn't want to) and we were looking forward to spending time at all of the pools, all areas of the beaches, and the private little areas throughout the resort as all areas were amazing.

We didn't have time to sample many of the restaurants, however those we ate at were all very good. When we arrived our room was not ready so our butler escorted us to Dino's for a snack while waiting for our room. Loved the pizza. We later had dinner at Manor House and both enjoyed our meals. We had breakfast at Sabrina's which is a buffet with an omelet station and the selections were good. We did notice each morning the selections were the same. We had dinner at Kelly's Dockside and really enjoyed the food and the ambiance. Some have stated the food was cold, but we did not have that problem. We also had dinner at Sabrina's and that was also very good. We cannot complain at all with any of the food we order or the service at any of these restaurants. We did not have lunch on either of the days we were there.

We went to the couples game at the amphitheater and that was alot of fun. Unfortunately that was the only show we had a chance to attend so I can't really say much about the entertainment. We did spend time during the evening at the Sundowner Deck and that was very relaxing.

The staff at this resort were absolutely wonderful!!! Our butlers were Glen and Christine. They were very friendly and helpful. The only thing that wasn't in our fridge when we arrived was Red Stripe Light. I asked Christine if it was possible to get some for our fridge and she said they generally don't have cans/bottles of light, therefore I didn't expect to have that for our room. Well, the next day Christine called us to see if she could bring us anything (we were at the pool) and while talking to my husband she told him she put some light in our fridge (great service). She was always checking on us. Glen also was great. He had a wonderful personality and was fun to talk with. We did have him a little baffled as like I said, we really like to walk and he wasn't quite sure why we wouldn't call him for rides. Glen escorted us to dinner at Kelly's and made our evening special. The butlers work very hard and we aren't the type that need them for every little thing so they would call us more than we would have ever called on them. They are not intrusive at all, just making sure our needs/wants were met. Glen came to see us the evening when we were packing to leave and he was so gracious about our need to leave early. Hugged us, thanked us and we could tell he truly felt bad that our vacation had been interrupted and that there was such a worrisome need to get back home. I really appreciated his concern. Actually every staff member that was aware of what was going on were wonderful. I honestly cannot say enough about all of the staff we encountered at this resort. Donna was our housekeeper and she was truly a doll, she introduced herself and told us she would be taking care of our suite during our stay. I must say this was the very first time we have had such a friendly housekeeper and I looked forward to seeing her throughout our stay. The morning we were leaving I walked out on our balcony and heard some yell out my name, I looked down to the pathway and there was Donna. She did not realize we had to leave and seemed disappointed we were going. She was very, very sweet. If she is not our housekeeper when we return I will definitely look her up. We also hope to have Glen and Christine as our butlers and I told Glen we were going to request him when we returned. The evening we arrived Shena (guest services) brought us a snack tray, compliments of our wonderful TA, Ruth and management. Later when we saw her at the Manor House she stopped to talk with us and then walked with us to dinner and made sure we had a nice table, again great service. When we found out we needed to return home my husband went to the Manor House to get help getting a flight out and they were very helpful. Our TA, Ruth DeMuth was doing everything she could also to get us back home as soon as possible and was trying to do whatever she could to make it less stressful for us. The morning we were leaving they asked about setting up some information for the nights we were not able to use, however we just couldn't even think about it at that time, but it was amazing that they would be concerned about that, for us. The staff really was great. Well, after we were home awhile I contacted our TA and she had been in contact with the resort to make sure we made it out ok (great TA to worry about us like that) and she inquired about the nights we did not use and she was told Mr. Roper and (I believe her name was) Caren were already working on that. All I can say is, WOW! With the number of guests a resort that size has at any given time it amazed us that they would even think about that, for us. Simply amazing!

We are returning to SGR the end of January and hopefully going to be able to experience it to it's fullest. Once again, in the short time we were there we found out how wonderful the staff members are and beautiful the property is. We cannot wait to go back! I would also like to make a shoutout to our TA, Ruth DeMuth of TripGuy Travel as she is always so patient with us and works so hard to make sure our vacations are wonderful and also worked diligently to make sure things were taken care of with our unused nights. Ruth also continued to check on how we were making out with the emergency we had at home. She really cares about her clients!

We are in need of a little R&R and were contemplating a week away the end of July but needed to try and do that as economically as possible so we consider going places that would save us a little bit and also might eliminate the need to fly which would save us even more....well we are so impressed with our TA for all she has done for us and with Sandals for all they did for us due to this emergency that we decided no matter what we wanted to give our business to Ruth and Sandals and we are heading back to Sandals/Jamaica the end of July :-)

If you have any questions regarding the resort or our TA, please feel free to contact me.

Room Tip: We love the hillside as you feel like you are in a neighborhood and we love the villas/suites. Havi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank loveislandtime

Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Grande Riviera. I know your time was cut short but I'm so happy that we were able to make such a great impression before you left. Caren and Mr. Roper will be so glad to read your review so I will be sure to let them know.

We can't wait to welcome you back for the continuation of your wonderful stay!

Cassie C.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

What a wonderful resort. This place is well equipped, charming and enchanting, with a high level of service.
The main attraction for me was water sports, and Sandals Ocho Rios scores very high. Over five days I took out one of the seven small catamarans a total of 8 times. The process for sign out is totally painless, and I never had to wait one minute for access. With this kind of aquatic activity and exceptional service, it is hard to imagine how this could possibly be better.

Next on the list is the staff. The friendly, warm, charming, fun loving Jamaicans make you feel like part of their family. But they go beyond friendliness and service. These people go about servicing guests dancing and singing like they are enjoying themselves at least as much as you are. You get the impression that all Jamaicans are born this way, although I suspect kudos are due to the resort's HR leadership. I will miss their hospitality.

Last but not least is the resort layout. From many terraces and decks overlooking the ocean, to lush and manicured garden paths, exquisitely laid out restaurants and pools, it seems that you can sit anywhere, and get atmosphere that can go from cozy, comfortable, and relaxing, to outright spectacular. Lush vegetation joins hands with multiple umbrellas to provide as much shade or sun as you wish.

A note regarding food: do not expect exceptional culinary experiences. Other than Valentinos, the resort's Italian restaurant which comes close to being excellent, other meals were good, and portions small. Some of the every day venues can cut corners here and there. If you are a foodie, you may walk away disappointed. If variety and freshness are good enough, you'll be ok. To increase your chances of satisfaction, lean towards fish and seafood selections, and limit chicken and potatoes.

if your priorities include water, sun, a spectacular setting and contagiously charismatic people, Sandals Ocho Rios hits the ball out of the park.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joaquindapark
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I had a great time here. We had previously stayed at Sandals Montego Bay. To be honest, we liked the more casual vibe at Montego Bay. During this stay, we asked to switch rooms as we were right next to the amphitheater and the music/bass was vibrating everything in the room. We'll know next time to ask if our room at any resport is "concert hall adjacent". There were lots of stairs, which we were fine with, but someone older or less certain on their feet may not do so well with them, so beware. We loved the italian restaurant on the hill side of the resort, but sadly didnt eat there until our last night. The sushi bar was fantastic. The rest of the food, while not as good as we remember it at Montego Bay, was okay. There was a an "ultra lounge" feel to most of the bars, without any seating at the bars themselves, which was not the case at Montego Bay. It made it feel really impersonal and you didnt get the chance to sit next to and meet new people, which was a little disappointing. We took full advantage of the scuba diving and logged a dozen dives while we were there, including 2 wreck dives at Runaway Bay. It was well worth the extra $50 per person for the adventure. We worked with KJ to get our Advanced Open Water Diver Certification. Mouse and Semaj also made our diving experence memorable. We got married while we were there and our wedding consulant Kerry Ann made our experience very easy...all we had to do was show up on time. One other thing we noticed was that a lot of (not all) the employees were not nearly as friendly and engaging as they were at Montego Bay. No one seemed real interested in talking with us or seemed like they were enjoying themselves. No one was rude, but it was noticable diffrerent from the year before at MoBay. Overall, we had a great vacation, and are looking forward to exploring a new Sandals resort next year.

Room Tip: Away from the amphitheater if you are looking to have any peace and quiet in the evenings.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferGrimm
Reviewed April 27, 2013

This was our 6th stay at Sandals Grande Riviera, for a total of 28 stays with Sandals properties. We are not travel agents, and it amazes us that after so many stays with Sandals, you would think they would upgrade us. You also would think that they have a customer profile on their database. The first room they brought us to was on the ground floor, we always request upper levels, and right beside the amphitheater which is where they have entertainment/shows that start after dinner and go until 11pm. Not for us, we are in bed early as we dive and have to get up early. So we had to waste away 5 hours before we got our new room. Room 2056, which was on the second floor, very quiet and very nice, but no concierge. At least they stocked the bar with water, juice, and soda. The room it self was nice and clean, the housekeeping staff did a great job.
Now, since we have stayed here many times, we knew a few of the staff, and it was great to see them again. The dive shop is great, a shout out to Ike, Mouse, Kevin, Semaj, Richard, Dennis, Jeno, Winston, Vanessa and Sawyer! thanks for the great dives!
We walked up every morning to the Manor to use the workout facilities. It was first class! All brand new equipment, nice and clean. It does get busy if you arrive after 9 am. I was told that they will be renovating the gym on the beach side, but no date was given.
The food was good. I do like that you do not have to have reservations at most of their restaurants. We loved the Bayside and Valentino's for dinner. When at the Bayside our favorite server was Iileen. She took great care of us, thank you!
After our dives, we would always stop and have coconut shrimp, at the little restaurant at the beach club. They were great, with a cold red stripe, thats what vacation is about.
We ate once at Kellys Dockside, you have to have reservations here and it is butler only. Food was also good, and the atmosphere is wonderful on the dock. They have a bar on the dock which is open all day. We just love sitting there, the breeze and views are great. Kemar takes great care of you also. We did not get to try all the places to eat and drink, there are just too many. The pool bars tend to get rowdy around 3 in the afternoon.
Returning guest dinner. They changed the way this dinner was done, they use to have a cocktail area, before we were ushered into the dining hall, now you just go to any table and grab a seat. It is still held on the Manor side, but in the big white tent, that is air conditioned.
The only time we spent on the Manor side was to workout. We had stayed on the Manor side the very first trip to Ochi. Taking the shuttle to the dive shop twice a day was crazy for us, so we have just booked the Riviera side since then.
Overall we had a great time and yes we will be back again.

4  Thank ArizonaBigDog
#6 of 35 in Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
#8 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!