“Great Trip But....”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Stoughton, Massachusetts, United States
“Great Trip But....”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our stay was 3/19-3/25. I have to say I think we got very lucky getting in and out of customs when we got to MBJ. I think it took longer to get out luggage then it did to get out of the airport. We headed right over to the Sandals Lounge they will tag your luggage as to what resort and category you are. It was very nice and we enjoyed a few red strips (I did not see any Rum Punch) with in 15 mins we were called and heading towards our shuttle. the bag handler definitely lets you know you need to tip him but I didn't find it pushy at all. From reading reviews I knew the bag handler and the bus driver were separate so I have him our tip and got on the bus some of the other ppl handed him 10/20 but thought he was the bus drive too. The bus drive is pretty long but my friend and I just chatted it up with some ppl on board and took in the view. We did make the rest stop and didn't mind too much actually got a Strawberry Daiquiri (8USD) for the rest of the ride.

Once we arrived the dropped of on the our side 1st were stayed up on the Villa's. We were met by and nice cool wash cloth that had an amazing aroma to it and definitely perked us up after the long ride. Our Butler Kadesha met us with and great smile and took us to our villa. She had everything lied out for us to look and a few things for us to sign but nothing too time consuming. she gave me a weekly planner to fill out with things that I had already knew we wanted to do and through out the next few days we would update it with what restaurants to and things to do. All my butler preferences were there. Even a Btl of Champagne and some cheese and crackers I requested. At these point I also notice the room was missing the table and chairs I seen in the picture we did have one big chair and coffee table. We booked the St. Anne's Poolside Villa. but think we got the Estate Poolside Villa and later it was kinda of confirmed when we started talking to our neighbors a few days in to our trip who had bookd the Honeymoon Estate Poolside so i'm pretty sure we go down graded. Our Villa was 7424. After that we went down to the Manor pool start or VACA!! The staff even from the get go was very accommodating and once they find out you are just staring your vacation I swear they turn it up a notch :)

For Dinner the 1st night we wanted seafood so Kadesha Suggested Neptuens. They definitly had seafood but I will tell come the end of the week I didn't look at my planner I totally forgot I had even gone there. We enjoyed Kelly's one night and the food was okay the combo app that everyone gets was soso and very dry not very 5 star. Our entree's were okay too they over cooked my boyfriends Fillet but I will tell you the red-wine Demi glaze is amazing!! Also one other perk that I found out that night is that you can pretty much get a surf and turf no matter what. I added a few shrimp to my steak and really enjoyed it My boyfriend was supposed to have gotten Mahi Mahi and Stk but got shrimp instead but considering the kitchen is on the other side of the beach from the dock we didn't mention it. Our server Micheal was great very tentative and professorial. I loved when he came walking over my table with my glass of champagne on his head!! lol We enjoyed Kimonos Junior was our chef and he was fun but it really did take about 2.5hrs for the whole service and the table that was next to us that sat after us had finished before us. Tex was also at the next hibachi beside ours and made the time pass by just enjoying his show. I wasn't too impressed with China Doll and that really amazed but that was another one that if i didn't look at my planner I totally forgot we had gone. We ate at Valentino's on our last night and that was the saving grace. If we had gone there the 1st night we probably would not have gone anywhere else. even though it was an entree I asked if i could get the scallops for an app and they had no problem accommodating for my entree I got the Rack of Lamb my boyfriend got the Caprese for his app and the Gorgonzola stuffed Fillet. So Yummy! One night instead of a restaurant we did the Beach party but I definitely would suggest eating at a restaurant then going for the show. the food was not bad but I just would of preferred to try an other restaurant over the food they had. The Show was amazing and scary lol the fire dancer/eater had my heart in my throat and lefty and righty the one legged pirates were very entertaining definitely have a video recorder on hand for all the performances. The Silverbird steel band blew my mind and the dancers were top notch! The Shows are a must see. We even joined in the game one our last night for the most compatible couple contest we didn't win but we didn't loose either and it really made our last night more memorable. We enjoyed Jamies' sports bar a few nights and just sitting on the dock or on the beach really help you to sink it all in. We also used our pool at the villa everyday whether is was in the morning waiting breakfast (we got breakfast delivered a few times) or at night after all the excitement of the day.

the 1st day we got there I we had the butler book us a couples massage on the Bluff per another review I had read and was told it was the best. we booked on Tuesday for an 11am Massage on Thursday they ask that you get there a half hour early so we did. When we got to the spa we filled out some paper and undressed put on our robs and was told that are ride would be there shortly to get us to go up the the bluffs. at around 1115 the girl told us that they were sorry but that there was a wedding on the bluff and that they were not aware it. I was soo upset but they assured us the the up level of the dock on the beach would be just as good so we did that one instead. We did enjoy it but once we actually seen what the bluffs was I was definitely let down. One more thing if you book a service out side be prepared to walk by everyone on the beach, in the lobby and on your way in your robe. We also did the catamaran to Dunn's River Falls and really enjoyed it. We went on the 9 am trip on Sat which I do suggest because it wasn't too crowded at all.

For the Butler we had 2 Kadesha/Devine they were both great but I don't feel that we utilized them as much as we could of and we only got our room done up 2x during our 6 night stay. Some couple had something new every night. I figured it was because we weren't celebrating anything special. They did do a great job and always had cheese and crackers or a fruit dish in our room and every night we had a btl of water by our bed. We also noticed butlers seating their guest in the restaurants and we only got that on the last night. even the beach party we seen butler's actually finding a seat for them but we were just walked up to it and told to find a seat.

The white party/chocolate buffet were excellent we didn't stay for the show after but enjoyed the event.

The Manor Pool was our favorite but really all them had a great fun vibe and staff. Pizza on the beach side was better than on the manor side in our opinion but took much longer. We also really enjoyed the soft serve ice cream and actually took one for the road the day we left. the bus driver on they way back was much better than the 1st he filled us in on all sorts of info and help the time go by. Check in went very easy at MBJ and we did get the Club Mobay pass and glad we did it was just much more relaxing and just being able to make a few phone call and use the wiFi made it worth it. We didn't have any thing from the bar but believe me we had enough all week.

All and all it was a great trip just the little buts that got in the way but we just sat back and didn't sweat the small stuff. I would still go back in a heart beat!

Room Tip: You can not close the bathroom windows which isn't a real issue but the A/c is only set to 70 an...
3 Thank NatashaB720

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,567)
Marietta Ga.
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and work very hard and do not get away very much. We booked at trip to Sandals in Ocho Rios, Jamaica at the Grande Riviera. This was the best thing we have done in years, had the best food,drinks and the people were the best of all. Always wanting to please and make your stay the best time you ever had. The resort was outstanding with the flowers and gardens, the site was well maintianed. We had such a good time we booked another trip for next year at the same time. We checked in on line and everything was ready for us no waiting. We hit the pool within a hour of the time we arrived. Counting the days.
Rick & Sherry Reed

Room Tip: The rooms with a ocean and pool view was very quiet, and has good A/C
1 Thank Richard R
Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was our second year in a row coming back over sprink break. Once again, we were not disappointed. This resort does a great job of mixing relaxation with adventure. When you're here, don't miss out on the late night entertainment at the amphitheater, the free snorkeling/scuba diving, the catamaran cruise to Dunns River Falls, or the great food at Kimono's (I hope you get Chef Tex!). Above all else, the staff are the most helpful and friendly of anywhere we've been before.

Room Tip: If you are choosing to stay in the Bamboo Grove building, try to ask for a room on the 4th floor. Ev...
2 Thank Adam N
niagara
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We travelled to Sandals Grande Riviera from March 9-16 2013. This was our 6th trip to a Sandals or Beaches resort and went with mixed expectations based on our past travel experiences (all good) and reviews on here (some bad).
The Arrival: We arrived 45 minutes early! YAY!! We only waited about 30 minutes through customs and immigration and then we were off to the Sandals lounge where we filled our Bubba Kegs with beer and had a quick sandwich. Then we were off to the bus (about 10 minutes). There were four couples on the bus and we chose not to stop on the way to the resort. We arrived in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I fell asleep on the bus ride (we had been to Ocho last year). Our driver pointed out some interesting sights on the way to the resort to pass the time.

Check in: We stayed on the Beach side and the entrance is nothing spectacular but is clean, and gives you that resort/beach feeling. Having stayed in concierge before, this check-in was a little lack-lustre. Pretty much, sign the papers and off you go. We did get some champagne and a cool towel upon our arrival.

Room: We booked a Bamboo Grove room and requested to NOT be on the ground floor. Well sure enough upon our arrival we were on the ground floor – the closest to the entrance for the building. I thought that it would be VERY noisy. The room was nice but quite small. We walked around the resort for a while and then decided to ask if there was an upper floor room for us. Within 20 minutes they had us on the second floor, in a much bigger room – I was very happy here.

The Beach: There is very little beach to walk here but what they do have is kept extremely clean. The Ochi Beach club is a great place because it has the beach with great loungers and a pool with a swim-up bar. The bathrooms are right around the corner and Neptunes to eat lunch is right there as well. There are shuffleboard, bocce and a volleyball court at the Beach club too. This is where we spent most of our days and would probably do the same if we were to go back.

The Beach Side: The beach side is amazing. There are so many different little spots for you to hang out – many hot tubs, little alcoves, hammocks, bars, beach areas etc. I think that this part of the resort really feels like you are in the Caribbean. On this side you will find the Sundowner bar which is very nice at night – it looks out to the ocean and has gas firepits. The bartenders here are great too. This side also houses the amphitheatre, where there is nightly entertainment (we really enjoyed the reggae night with Peter Lloyd).

The Manor Side: We frequented the Manor side of the resort as well. The main pool here is very large with a big hot tub. There is a rock climbing wall here too (which we tried – it’s much harder than it looks). This side feels more like a hotel rather than a resort but the staff is just as nice and it is very well kept. There are white tents at this side of the resort where they held the returning guests dinner and the “beach” party because it was windy down by the beach.

The Food: We found the food very good. We ate at most of the restaurants with our favourites being Sabrina’s (great anti-pasto bar) and stuffed lobster and Valentino’s (there was a 45 minute wait here). We also ate at The Reef Terrace, Soy (for appetizers), The Bayside, the beach party (buffet – but VERY good), the SSG dinner. All the food was very tasty and we thought the portion sizes were enough but if you don’t – just ask for another one – no problem!

Activities: We went snorkelling, did some paddleboards, played outdoor games and caught many night shows. There is a lot to do if you choose, or you can do nothing (also a favourite of mine!)

Overall: We loved this resort and would definitely go again. There were some people that made our time there extra special and fun. A thanks goes out to TYRONE at the Soon Come Back desk – he was awesome. We sat with him at the SSG dinner and made sure to catch up with him everyday after that. Erroll at the Sundowner bar mixes great drinks and is a great guy to talk to. We had a great time and can’t wait to go back. The drivers from the beach side to the manor side are great too and we NEVER had to wait longer than 3 minutes for a shuttle to come.

Tips: One day a Cruise ship came into port and there were some rowdy guests at the resort – this kind of turned us off a little but they were gone by dinner, so no harm done there. If you are staying on the Manor side, looking onto the tennis courts can be very noisy as this is where the butler golf carts are parked and they are beeping constantly to back up. Don’t miss the chocolate buffet on Wednesday night – YUMMY – it was really the only dessert I ate all week – besides all the fruity drinks and it was well worth it.

Have fun at this resort and don’t believe the bad reviews. If you are relaxed, you’ll have a great time.

Room Tip: If staying on the Beach Side - Stay in the Bamboo Grove for a quiet room!
4 Thank travelbumwife
Canadian, Texas, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I had never been to Jamaica or a resort like this. I read the reviews for weeks before our trip, and had several concerns and expectations based on the reviews. I realize now that some people are so difficult to please that those negative reviews are actually a reflection on the writer, not the resort.
My wife and I went for our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed 3/10-3/17, it was great! We had a group that included my parents, in-laws, daughters, and my son and his new wife. The group functions that were planned for us were great and we loved the alone time through the day and the group time at dinner. The food was very good, the service was outstanding and friendly. I did pay for a couples dinner, and absolutley loved it!! We were seated out on the pier with great service and really good food. I would recommend the candle light dinner if you can get the same location. I am not really a water person, but I enjoyed the watersports and "Nemo" was really great to be around.My wife loved the beach and snorkling and was very impressed by the reef and fish there. We also played golf. The course is very nice, with greens that are not as good as the course is. The greens are very slow, but golfing was decent as were the caddies. We had 2 different caddies who were hard working, but not always closely involved as they were unable to ride our cart and would fall behind, or we would find ourselves waiting. This was not their fault, but it would be nice to play at a good pace and have the caddie involved. The entertainment was good and the steel drums were great! It was difficult to schedule dinner for the group and still make the start of the shows, or chocolate party. If you want to make these events you should schedule dinner early.
We stayed on the manor side in a butler suite. I would do it all again. The butlers "Richard and Jeremy" were fantastic. I did not realize that personal butler really meant that 7 couples share a butler. A demanding couple or two can have a very real impact on your service. Richard and Jeremy did a great job, but at times I really felt for them as they were asked to do the impossible and serve so many at once. I would like to see management give proper consideration to the time spent on each couple, and make adjustments when needed. The same problem also came up with bus and jittney service following the shows or events. There should be transportation considerations for the added demand. We waited for the same bus for three trips after a show. Once again the staff were doing all they could, but were overwhelmed at certain times. I do believe that these small problems could be fixed very easily as the schedule is set and the demand for transportation is very predictable. I am being very picky here, but it would eliminate the only negative I found.
Once again, thank you Richard and Jeremy and all the staff for making this the best vacation of my life so far! The next one will be even better at Sandals.

3 Thank Richard S
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Our stay in this resort was from 3/4-3/9 and although our weather was not good for about 90% of our trip, we didn't want to leave!!!! We stayed on the Ocean Side-- with an Ocean Front Balcony Room and it was gorgeous. We had amazing service the entire week. If you are going for your honeymoon and not staying in a butler room, make sure you send a copy of your wedding invitation to them so they give you breakfast in bed one of the mornings. You meet someone once, and they all remember your name, everyone says hi to you, it's so nice to have such happy people around you. Our BEST meals were at Neptunes, Valentinos, & China Doll, but our very best meal was our private beach front dinner we had. It's so romantic, and such great service. We also rented a cabana on the Ochi Club side on our last day and it cost us $125 and you get drinks, lunch, and a 15 min massage for each of you. it's so worth it!!!! We did the Island Catamaran Cruise to Dunns River Falls-- and we had SO MUCH FUN! It's worth the price! You go snorkeling, climb the falls, then party on your way back to the hotel. The pizzas are fantastic. The beach party they had on Friday was a great way to end the vacation, you don't wanna miss that. Bishop at the main pool bar is so much fun. Kaci one of the playmakers is such a doll. You never even have to look to order another drink, as soon as your cup is almost done-- the staff is back with another drink! We loved 99.9% of this resort (the only bad thing about the resort is that the beds are extremely hard). We booked our 1 year anniversary stay there for 2014. Can't wait to go back!

4 Thank TheGragopians
Hampton Virginia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This place was amazing !!!! From the time we arrived at the airport at the lounge they took care of us!!!!!! They staff was amazing at the resort.... We wanted for nothing during our stay. The first night we arrived we went to go to dinner and not knowing the resort,one of the maid staff stopped what she was doing and escorted us to one of the seven restaurants at the resort.. Every member of the staff was so nice and polite...the resort was beautiful!!! We couldn't think of a thing that was overlooked during our stay here!!!!! The dive master was awesome. The diving was great. The rooms were amazing clean. The restaurants were amazing !!! Great job Sandals

4 Thank Ken B
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
#1 of 1 in White House

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!