“Villa Review”

Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
IL
“Villa Review”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We honeymooned here several years ago, but never got around to reviewing. I just wanted to write & make sure anyone who is planning to go stay on the villa side knows this before going. We stayed in a villa with our own pool, I really loved it & no one else in our building ever used it. We really liked out room & the villa feel, though it was up a huge hill then down a road just to get to the villa side lobby. Sometimes we walked but after a while it got tiring, so we'd call for a cart. Then once to the lobby you have to wait for a ride over to the other side-the beach side-of the resort. All in all it was just too big for us & I felt like we wasted a lot of time walking or waiting on rides, & was kind of exhausting! Other than that I don't think we had any problems with the place at all! Took a shuttle to the other Sandals resort in Ocho rios & really wished we'd have stayed there, way smaller, amazing pizza & much easier to navigate, all right on the beach.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking long distances maybe ask for a villa closer to the lobby area as some...
Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank illinoistraveler9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,504)
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 15, 2012

This was our 9th Sandals vacation. We are in our 30’s and traveled out of Milwaukee. Overall this was another fantastic vacation. We were very happy with the way it all worked out.

We flew US Air out of Milwaukee on a 5:45am flight on a Friday. We had a 45 minute layover in Charlotte. There were no delays and we landed in Montego Bay at about 12:30. It was great, no lines in customs or immigration and our luggage was all ready waiting for us. We made it to the Sandals lounge in record time. Within 10 minutes we were put on the bus to wait an additional 10 minutes then we were off. The driver was going to make a pit stop on the way; my wife asked if anyone wanted to stop. The vote was no, we drove straight through. 1hour and 35 minutes later we were at the resort.

At this point we had to wait on the bus a minute or two and then be driven to the Riviera side. We received the upgrade we wanted. Yes! We did the check in and at that point we met Daenya, the resort loyalty manager. She was wonderful. She booked the dinner reservations we wanted, gave us a brief resort tour and showed us to our room. Wow, she set us up. It was about a 5 or 6 category upgrade from what we booked. Thank you Daenya! We love the room; it was right by the amphitheater overlooking the pool on the far East end of the resort. The music at the theater went a little later than we would have liked a couple nights but for the most part it wasn’t a problem (booze helped).

This trip, we spent all of our time at the resort. We participated in one or two activities each day. Nothing too stressful, volleyball, trivia, cooking demo, bingo… We did do the kitchen tour. That was neat, no worries about cleanness or food handling. Swimming/floating and the water sports kept us busy too. The first time taking the paddle board out was pretty much me going for a swim for 30 minutes. After the third time out on the paddle board I didn’t fall off the board once. Give it a try if you want something to mess around on in the ocean.

We sure didn’t have to worry about losing any weight on this trip. We had great meals all over. The breakfast buffet seemed a little limited compared to some other Sandals but it was good. It always had the basic stuff and a few other things. The rum syrup and the mimosas were our favorite items. Hmmm, maybe that says something about us. My wife liked to get salads at lunch time, so we hit the lunch buffet a few times. Again it was a little limited but if you wanted a salad it was more than adequate. Plus there are a bunch of other great lunch options. We tried the buffets on both sides of the resorts a few times. Each side was very similar. Maybe a slight edge goes to the Manor side but again they’re very similar.

We tried all the grills/bistros for lunch too. They were all very good. A few of our favorites were the calzones from Bella Napoli and the jerked chicken, jerked burger, and coconut shrimp from Mariners. I wish I’d have come across the jerked burger prior to our last day eating lunch there. Just before we jumped on the bus to head home our last day (10:45 am) we got a couple chicken sandwiches to go from the beach bistro. They tasted pretty good when we ate them in the airport a few hours later. It seems like the price of lunch at the airport keeps getting more ridiculous so it was a good way to not need to buy it.

We visited most of the restaurants in the evenings. We intentionally skipped Soy, China Doll, and Kimono’s. Just due to the way things worked out we weren’t able to visit either of the buffet places in the evening. In general we had very good food. Kelly’s had a great atmosphere and the backlit menus are a great idea. That is however the one place I ended up with an entree I didn’t care for. The mahi mahi just wasn’t too good. I wished I’d have tried one of the specialty dishes offered. All of the restaurants had very good service and a nice variety of food options, lots of seafood. In previous experiences, it seemed like there was always a place or two with very slow service (even for Jamaica time) and lacking drink service. Not the case here, I’d be happy to be back at any of the places we tried.

In addition to the restaurants we did the Signature dinner and the beach party buffet. The Signature dinner was held in the ballroom near the Manor restaurant. The food was ok, but it was just a stuffed chicken breast. It tasted good, but I’m looking for something a little higher end at those things. The dessert was some kind of apple pie type thing that wasn’t so great. The group we sat with was a little quiet and I don’t think the manager that sat with us said a word. Overall it was ok, the length wasn’t too long and getting a bottle of Appleton made it all worth while. We tried out the beach buffet too. This was Friday, so we could have attended it twice; we chose to do a repeat of the Manor restaurant rather than do the beach party twice. At the beach party the food was ok at best. A few dishes were loaded with salt including the “lobster”. I put that in quotes because it really didn’t taste or look like lobster. There was so much salt in that and one other dish I couldn’t eat them. We were given the coconut with rum in it to drink out of. That was great, but no one would give us a straw. I don’t understand why not. You sort of had to suck on it and tip it upside down. One bartender said his manager would yell him if he gave us a straw. Had I saw a straw on the bar, I’d have been yelling at him. Just odd. In short, we didn’t care for the beach party.

We also spent plenty of time enjoying the bars. We had great drinks and service all over the place. The bar on the dock (Kelly’s) was a nice place to sit day or night. I just like the feel out there. The brand name spirits we were occasionally looking for, Appleton included, were readily available wherever we went. The drink of the day is a good idea. We did wish they had the drink boards hanging over the bars. I know they’d be inappropriate some places but the pool bars could use them. Luckily we had a lot of drink ideas in mind. The bar staff did a great job and kept us well hydrated.

Most of our days were spent lounging in different pools/places around the resort. At check-in we were told the resort was at 62% occupancy. We never had a problem finding chairs or floats no matter where we were. We didn’t notice the chair saving game being played, but there was so much availability there was no need for it. There were a few people holding pool floats they weren’t using for hours on end. There were still plenty of floats in the pools so it didn’t matter, but I still think that is rude. Use it or allow others to.

I do like wandering around the resort checking out all the nooks and crannies of the place. The deck area on the ocean in the far West end of the resort is a nice quiet place to sit and the entire area was always empty. Check it out at night too. Seeing the giant torch by that pool at night was cool too. One other thing we did was walk to the highest point of the resort on the Manor side. The guests with the room at the highest point of the resort invited us to their deck to check out the view. It was spectacular. Check it out, even if you just stand in the public area. It’s really neat and pictures don’t do it justice.

There were a few negative things about this trip. Some not the resorts fault. I was sick the whole time. I had a cold which I could deal with for the most part. The occasional coughing fits were a little embarrassing at times. I also lost my voice for a couple days. I think a few guests who were talking with my wife and I just thought I was rude not talking back. The weather wasn’t too great either. We had two nice days. Two bad days being rainy, windy, and overcast. The other 3 full days were sort of a mix of clear and cloudy skies with some wind. Overall it was good enough but this is the second time we were at this resort this time of year and the two trips there were the worst weather trips we had. Yes, we consider ourselves lucky. Weatherwise, we do think we might be better off in MoBay or Whitehouse in early December.

A couple issues I do blame the resort for. First is the lack of t-shirts. They didn’t give us t-shirts as returning guests. I asked why, first I was told Sandals doesn’t do that anymore. Then I found out it was actually that they only had small shirts available and they knew that wouldn’t work for most guests so they just opted not to hand them out this time. Stuff happens, but how do they mess that up? They should be very prepared for returning guests. Daenya said she’d mail them to us if she’s allowed to. Sandals had the problem, if Daenya isn’t allowed to mail us shirts I won’t be too impressed. Also the daliy resort schedule printout was nice, but we had to hunt it down each day. It was also wrong quite often, particularly about volleyball. I like to play but was only able to catch one game, which wasn’t on the schedule, this trip. We’d go to the Manor side to be told the game was actually on the Riviera side. A few other games I showed up for just weren’t happening. Mixology was another one on the schedule that just didn’t happen. Even after a playmaker told us it would in a few minutes, then he disappeared and it never happened. The schedule is a great idea but it needs to be accurate. It would also be nice to be in your room the night before. Some of the events on the schedule occur early and it would be nice to plan for.

Heading home, always the worst part. We were asked to be on the bus at 10:45 for our 3:30 flight. That seemed a little early to me. Anyway by the time we made the pick up on the Manor side and went back to the Riviera side for the guy who forgot his camera, we were on the road at 11:05. With one 10 minute stop we made it to the airport in 1 hour 52 minutes. It seemed like the guy was driving slow, so I’d never expect it to take much longer. This was a Saturday and lines at the airport looked almost as long as I’d ever seen them but they went fast. We had at least an hour longer than we needed. I’m happy to say our flights were on time and the customs, immigration, and security lines at our layover in Charlotte went quick. All and all it was a smooth trip home. That is about all I can ask for.

Everything said this was a great trip. We met tons of great people, both guests and employees. I don’t go on vacation to make friends, but I met several people I really hope to see on future trips. Josie and Natallia were particularly great playmakers. I did give Josie a bit of an attitude when she called us to say goodbye at 10:30pm Friday when I was sleeping. It was really nice, I’m just a little grumpy when I’m woken up. Also Daenya the loyalty manager was incredible. Her service was great, but her engaging friendly personality really made a connection with us. Another great trip.

Room Tip: Stay on the ocean side if you want to be by the action. Stay on the Manor side if you want to quiet...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WiBy
Clarksburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had a blast at Sandals Grande Riviera! Food was very good, room was excellent, staff was very nice and attentive especially Josie who led many of the different activities at the resort and even took the time to come and say goodbye to us on our departure day even though she wasn't working!!! She was the best! If you like competition they have plenty of fun games and activities going on throughout the day led by the amazing staff. Drinks are plentiful, lots of different food options, all great! Signed up to go back next year even though we had no intention of doing so. It was so much fun we couldn't resist the great deal! The only complaint I have is the wine selection... I would prefer a couple of upper level wine choices....

Room Tip: Definitely choose something on the ocean side...
1 Thank Susan D
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We traveled to Sandals Grande Riviera from 13-20 November 2012 through our travel agent Amy McHugh of Dream Makers Vacation Services. Had a direct flight from BWI to Montego Bay which made for a smooth flight under 3.5 hours travel time. We passed through Customs and Immigration in no more than 15 minutes and off to the Arrival Lounge. We were informed that we had a private transfer which I am assuming Amy had a hand in but, unfortunately, we had already arranged and paid for transfer via Reggae Tours so we weren’t able to take advantage. Lesson learned for next time…

The Reggae Tours airport transfer was very comfortable and worth the extra expense of an affordable $81 each way between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios (we didn’t want to risk a packed bus transfer and wanted to get to the resort without the typical 20 minute stop on the way). The ride was in a comfortable sedan, we were given a couple of ice-cold Red Stripes and the driver was nice and informative about the scenery along the way. The total ride from the airport was about 90 minutes.

We arrived at the resort about 2 hours after landing and met Tamon, the butler supervisor, in the butler lounge where he gave us a couple of drinks. He had the butler Kesmet take us to the room where we met up with one of our actual butlers Ryan who had champagne and fruit/cheese plate waiting for us. We were also pleasantly surprised that there was a framed photo of two of us from our Sandals La Toc honeymoon trip last year. A very nice touch that I think Amy had a hand in but I’m not entirely sure. We were in Villa 13/Rm 7237. Amy (travel agent) and/or the resort made sure we had the best view available for our room type (Honeymoon Orchid Oceanview Poolside 1-BR Butler Villa).

Sandals Select Return Dinner was at 1800 our first night (Tuesday) which started with cocktails on the Sundowner Deck overlooking the Manor Pool with dinner just inside their ballroom. We were seated with 3 other couples plus a staff member – Tyrone from the Soon Come Back desk. The food was good and everyone received a leather sandals necklace plus their bottle of Appletons.

Speaking of food, these are the places we ate during our stay:

Dino’s – The pizza is very good and the size is just right for a meal or 2 to share as a snack. The self-serve Nachos are a good idea but they weren’t very tasty; the cheese left something to be desired.

The Manor (Caribbean food) – Nice setting overlooking the pool and delicious food (The wife had Jerk Shrimp with mango salsa appetizer and Jerk Chicken with veggies, beans and rice for an entrée. I had a Scallop Shrimp wrap and Flank Steak with horseradish mashed potatoes.)

Mariner’s – Located near the Ochi Beach Club; can’t beat having lunch with your feet in the sand. Both the Beef Patty and Coconut Shrimp were good.

Kimono’s – The atmosphere was nice and entertainment great (Tex was our server) but the food was just okay; too salty and some fatty meat. No complaints though because the food isn’t the highlight of this place.

Valentino’s (Italian) – Seated by the window overlooking the water and pier. Meal included appetizer, soup, salad, pasta/sauce and entrée. All were very good and small portion sizes so you won’t feel stuffed.

Kelly’s on the Pier – Enjoyed the waterside seats, felt the service pace was just right and the food temperature was fine (unlike some posts I have read). You start with a sampler appetizer, choose a soup and them basically pick a protein, sauce and sides.

Bayside (French) – A relaxed, casual place on the main floor of the Riviera Building overlooking the water. Both of us had seafood dishes which were well prepared.

We also had the Candle Light Dinner on the beach (for the extra charge of $175). Great & romantic setting with the sound of the waves, decorated with red gauze and multiple candles and a long stem rose for the lady. You get to pick from a variety of choices when you reserve and they provide you personalized menus to remind you what you picked. I would say it was worth doing for the atmosphere but don’t need it every time. Not surprisingly, it was hard to see the food and there was WAY too much food on the entrée. Basically, it seemed like they gave you a full portion of all 3 available choices. Felt like we hardly put a dent in it before we were full and felt a little bad about leaving behind so much but what are you going to do.

Dunn’s River Falls Catamaran Cruise which was an included extra when we booked. This can be scheduled for Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday departing at 9am. We stopped after ~20 minutes to snorkel at some marine preserve off Ocho Rios. Snorkeling was okay – nothing like diving, obviously, but we saw some pretty saltwater fish, anemones and coral. Back on the boat to the Falls. The music on the boat is LOUD for us oldies! We walked up the falls in a group (boy, girl, boy, girl) all holding hands in our sandals/water shoes (which can be rented for $5 at the Falls). The rocks aren’t that slippery but the current is pretty fast in places and the higher you get, the more rapid the current plus the water is pretty cold. We are introverts so we tired of the enthusiasm from the guides in taking photos/video and pumping up the crowd so we bailed about 90% of the way up. We got back on the boat and had a much needed rum punch. When everybody got back on, the “party” started with loud DJ music and great people watching of those letting loose on the dance floor. They also served some finger foods to accompany the drinks from the bar.

We hung out at the Manor Pool multiple times either at reserved pool chairs or in one of the cabanas (which each have a ceiling fan). Chairs were decorated with the usual towel animals and tropical flowers plus we were provided with a cooler of beer & water.

We had our complimentary couples massage at the Spa which was quite relaxing but too short at only 30 minutes; would recommend adding more time. I also did an 80 minute Hot Stone Massage which was worth the experience but probably would not do again. It was a mixture of regular massage and using the stones to massage. The stones were just on the edge of too hot the first few seconds but cooled off quickly enough. The wife went in for a paraffin wax pedi and French-tini manicure that lasted as long as my massage. They did a great job with the nails and she really enjoyed chatting with the technician learning about life on the island.

Overall – we had a great time and would consider returning after getting to the many other Sandals we want to visit. The resort did a great job cleaning up from Hurricane Sandy. The only repairs still ongoing were on the ends of 2 piers which were nearly complete when we left and had no impact on enjoying all of the resort. Finally, I want to thank our Butlers, Ryan and Annaescia, who were wonderful throughout the trip. They obviously took pride in their work and it showed. From the daily fruit and cheese & cracker plate to discreetly checking up on us to make sure we had everything we needed, they are true professionals. As a reference point to those with Butlers, we tipped each $15 per day and put that in a thank you card to make it less awkward.

We got the Club MoBay passes which had the fast track through security and immigration but at the time we went through there were few people in the regular lines; definitely a great perk if crowded. The passes are worth the expense as the Club (near Gate 18) is nicely appointed and away from the crowds plus the free drinks and light snacks were a welcomed treat. There is no question on getting these passes especially if you have an extended wait for your flight.

Room Tip: Stayed at Villa 13/Room 7237 which had a great sweeping view of the vegatation and the water in the...
3 Thank Brett S
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I visited the Grande Riviera for our honeymoon, January 7th-14th, 2012. It took me sometime to finally get around to writing a review. Overall we had a fabulous time! I’m a bit of a planner and so I had already read several reviews on tripadvisor before we arrived. I was aware of the bus ride to the resort and I didn’t have any negative surprises once at the resort. Several of the reviews I read had some negative things to say about staff and food. Actually my husband and I were concerned before we left that we may have made a bad decision for our first married vacation. But all of those anxieties were wiped away as soon as we got through customs and were shown to the Sandals Lounge area and offered a red stripe! So here is a basic breakdown of what I remember from our trip.
The bus ride:
This was not as big of a deal as it was made out to be in several reviews. I was however very thankful I was able to warn my husband of the length of the ride and that we might not have a/c in the bus, etc. But luckily we did have a/c or some sort of fan blowing on us to keep us cool and a very funny driver who told us all about the areas of Jamaica that we were passing by. There was a pit stop about half way through the trip. Several people got off the bus and purchased local food (which smelled delicious). I stayed on the bus, but my husband purchased a couple sodas for us and some m&m’s (way over priced). We arrived to the resort and it was absolutely beautiful. It was very lush and tropical and made a great first impression.
Check-in:
We stayed in one of the villas which came with concierge services so we were taken into the concierge lounge for check in and offered the drink of the day (some kind of rum punch). We had to fill out a little bit of paper work and were given a short introduction of what the concierge handled for us. At this point I highly recommend making reservations for Kimono’s & Kelly’s Dockside; otherwise you might not get to visit either one of those restaurants. Tiby is the girl we mainly dealt with and she was fantastic. She was always so friendly every time she saw us. She would even get on to us if she didn’t think we were out having enough fun!
The room:
Fantastic. Beautiful. Lovely. I was so excited about our room. This was one of my main concerns after reading through several reviews that were so negative, even so far as to post photos of damages in the room or things they didn’t feel were up to standard. We stayed in the Honeymoon Bougainvillea Hideaway villa (#7249) with a semi-private pool. I felt like everything was just as nice as was pictured on the website. My one complaint is the pool was ICE cold! But we were there in January and when we questioned the staff they told us that it warms up more towards “spring break time.” Now the ice cold temperatures did not keep us from using the pool! It was extremely refreshing during the heat of the day.
The resort:
The resort is huge. It took us most of the week to figure out where everything was without getting lost. The first half of our stay we were mostly on the Rivera side wondering around and trying the restaurants. The rest of the time we stayed on the beach side during the day and had some of our best meals on that side as well. The beach side of the resort is a short bus ride across the road, and the buses run every 15 minutes. The beach was beautiful and the ocean was warm enough for us to swim. The beach area was a little on the small side, but there was also a dock area to layout on (or in our case fall asleep on). I think we tried every restaurant while we were there except for Kelly’s because we couldn’t get a reservation. One of our favorite places to hang out was the piano bar next to the Reef Terrace. And the Reef Terrace is where we had our best dinner.
Excursions:
We went on the 4x4 Bob Marley Jeep Tour. It was… ummm…. Interesting. The tour will take the entire day, so be prepared for that if you decide to go. I loved seeing the actual countryside of Jamaica. You really get more of a feel of the island. We stopped at a street side “bar” for lack of a better word. It was a small rest area that sold booze and souvenirs. They provided a snack, which I can only describe as a meat filled pastry. I thought it was gross (the stray dog LOVED it). Luckily I packed an apple left over from breakfast. I also didn’t enjoy the incessant offers to purchase pot. I don’t have anything against it, but I also don’t want any kind of trouble while in a foreign land. The actual Bob Marley museum was great and there were lots of chances to buy souvenirs. When (not if) we go back I’d like to do one of the boat tours instead or at least something that involves the water. Our excursion was on the last day we were in Jamaica and so I was sad that I didn’t get one last day to be in the ocean.
The spa:
I realized on this trip that I do not enjoy a real foot massage. I probably should have spoken up more during the massage and asked for it to be a lot less firm. However the couples massage was wonderful! It was a really great experience for my husband and I to have together since we hand never had a professional massage before.
Over the past few days I have been working hard and researching the different Sandals Resorts to figure out which one we want to go back to and I keep coming back to the Grande Rivera. For the price and size of the resort you can’t get much better! It’s all there! For the price of a standard room at some of the other resorts we would be able to afford a butler suite here.

Room Tip: Plan ahead what excursions you want to go on!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laine B
teesside
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our honeymoon 15-30th may 2011 & it was the best 2 weeks ever!!! The hotel was fab & the staff were amazing :) the food is gorgeous & the beach & pools are amazing! Nearly 2 yrs later me & my husband still think about this place all the time just hoping one day we will make it back ... But to be honest I know we could never top the 2 weeks we spent there! Amazing memories :) highly recommend Dunns river falls aswell :) if u book this hotel you are guaranteed the best holiday EVER!!!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank rach8408
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I went to Sandals Grande Riviera Beach and Villa, and stayed on the beach side from November 20th to the 27th for our honeymoon. The view from our room was amazing. The room was very clean, but we did not spend much time in it due to plenty of things to do and see on the resort. You can visit the hillside with ease and we only had to wait 5 minutes at the most for the shuttle. The staff was very helpful the first day that we tried to find everything. The resort having two sides is very large, and easy to get lost when you first get there. The bar tenders and the play makers were the high lite of our trip. Your trip will not be complete with out a trip to Dunn's River Falls. The booze cruise is the best way to get out there, but if you get sea sick, take some medicine before you go. We have already booked our next vacation due to the great service clean facilities. It is obvious that Sandals takes pride in their customer service. The only complaint we had would be that there were a lot of bees near the hillside pool bar, but the staff had something to keep them down.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
1 Thank Jason P
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,778 reviews
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!