“Grande visit”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Manitoba
“Grande visit”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I together with our son and his wife visited the Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort Nov. 24 - Dec. 1/2012. We had a wonderful relaxing time. We stayed on the beach side. The resort was almost empty, not sure why but we enjoyed all the free space and choice of lounge chairs. The service was excellent. We all loved the pizzas and I'm sure we had at least one per day. The beach is short, not like Negril but it was still very nice. You could do some snorkelling of the Ochi Beach Club area, if you brought your own gear which we did. The first few days were a little cloudy with some rain but obviously it was not that cold as we were still out there in our swim suits, after that it warmed up and got nice and hot. The food was good, everything cooked in butter. This was not good for me as I have a dairy allergy but the chefs were accomodating and would create something just for me. My husband was loving all the butter cooked foods and had no complaints. We had no issues with any of the staff as they all were friendly. All four of us enjoyed the services of the spa. Personally I could have had a massage every day, but alas only had one. The grounds were beautiful and were constantly being maintained. The maids were very friendly and did a wonderful job of keeping our room clean. We chose to go with the Concierge service, which was a first for us, but I enjoyed it. We also had a room in the Oceans Edge Honeymoon Beachfront Concierge Room. We loved the ocean view. It is a little noisy in the late evenings, my husband never noticed and fell fast asleep and once I inserted my ear plugs I fell asleep as well. If you want really good snorkelling I would chose the Sandals Negril otherwise this place was really nice, rooms were in much better condition. Not sure what else to say, since we really enjoyed our time even tried out the rock climbing wall which was fun. Would not hesitate to go back if the opportunity arose.

Room Tip: If you like beach activities I would stay on the beach side.
2 Thank holidayjunkie62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,524)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I were recently married at Sandals Grande Riviera on October 21, 2012. A girlfriend of mine had visited the resort on her one year anniversary in May of 2011 and had nothing but wonderful things to say about her time there! After looking at her amazing photographs ( done by Sandals) I was sold...it was Beautiful!!! I wasn't sure about the process of planning a wedding there though so I started researching information on destination weddings and came across Jennifer Doncsecz at travelbyvip.com. I am so thankful that I found her and her team they were amazing!! I would highly recommend them!! They helped me with everything from flights to flowers. Once we arrived at the resort we then met with Anna Kay our onsite wedding coordinator who made our day so stress free and perfect! Our wedding day was more beautiful than I could have ever dreamed of! If you are considering a destination wedding then I would recommend Sandals without a doubt! From the moment we arrived on the resort we were treated like royalty. Every single member of the Sandals team went above and beyond everyday! We loved it!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie C
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Reviewed December 11, 2012

It has been a few months since we were at SGR, we went in Sept 2012, but that place was wonderful. We had been to Sandals Royal Caribbean for our honeymoon in May of 2009 and we thought it was paradise, but SGR exceeded our expectations. Our friends had used a travel agency when they went to Sandals Montego Bay in Feb 2012 and they highly recommended it. We even used the same travel agent as they did, Carey Driscoll. She was able to get us an upgrade to our room. We didn’t even know it until we booked again at the comeback desk. Now I’m going to go over some of the good and bad things that we experienced while we stayed at SGR.
First is the good. It is such a beautiful place. When we got to the airport, we were greeted by a butler, because we wanted to use the butler service on this trip. He made sure our bags were loaded on the van, and he brought us a couple of drinks. I found out a little bit later that he was the airport butler. When we arrived at the resort, we were awestruck. It was simply beautiful there. I got out of the van, and they took care of our bags for us, and we went to the concierge room where we met our butlers, Alshane and Humphries. At first, it kind of felt weird, because we weren’t used to having people wait on us, but let me tell you this, they want to. Alshane might have been offended our first day there, because we took a jitney to go to dinner instead of calling him. As time went on, we got used to the idea of them being there for us. We would get a call everyday and Alshane would ask where we wanted to go for dinner. He would make the reservations for us, so we never had to worry about that. They would book our excursions for us. They brought us breakfast one morning, that was our 2nd to last day, but next time I think we will be ordering breakfast in our room more often. They catered to our every need. As the Bible says, “Ask and it shall be given”, and it was. Because it is such a big resort, I would recommend it. I know that I am jumping all over the place, but it was simply such an amazing place. There will be people that are picky over the little things. Those are the kind of people that have a hard time enjoying anything.
During our stay, we met some really nice couples. Two of the couples booked again for the same time as us next year, and one of the couples is expecting, so they won’t be able to make it. It is amazing how quickly you can make friends there. Although they all live far from us, hopefully over time we will continue to stay in touch with them.
Now the bad things about our vacation. I would have to say the only bad thing that I can even think of was the drive there. It is about an hour and a half, but you see a lot along the way. Well the worst part of the whole vacation was having to leave. We cannot wait to go back. So if you read any negative reviews, more than likely, it’s because of the person and not the resort. Sandals Grande Riviera is an amazing place. When you arrive, you will think you have died and went to heaven

Room Tip: Get the Butler suites
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy L
NY
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Overall we had an amazing Honeymoon at this resort but there were a few hiccups. While in Ocho Rios on a cruise we visited Royal Plantation (another Sandals Resort next door) and fell in love. We vowed to return on our honeymoon. However, after looking online we determined the SGR sounded more fun for us and we could stay longer.
Arrival
We arrived on a Sunday so customs was a breeze. We wanted t get to the resort as soon as possible so we hired a private transfer, however, we found out we were the only couple arriving at that time so we could have saved money and went on the sandals bus. The resort had recently started allowing new arrivals after the Sandy cleanup so we suspected that was the reason. We were not overly impressed with our private transfer, but I will leave that for another review.
We were staying in a butler villa so check in was a breeze. Once we were on the resort we were handed moist towels and lead to the concierge where we waited maybe 3 minutes for our Butler Calicia. She took us directly to our room where we checked in while drinking champagne. Very good start to the trip.

Room
We stayed in a Villa so we were on the manor side and we had no trouble getting around the resort. Anytime we wanted to leave the room we just called our butler 10 min in advance and she took us to the manor house where we could chill at the manor pool or catch the shuttle to the other side. We never waited more than 10 min for a shuttle and most of the time it was less than 5. Getting back to the room was a breeze since there were always jitneys waiting.
We stayed in the Honeymoon Orchid Ocean view Poolside One Bedroom Butler Villa and it was amazing. I didn’t expect the ocean view to be great but it was amazing. I suspect it was made better by the absence of some of the tress knocked down by the hurricane. Overall we liked the décor and the size of the room. It was very nicely renovated and we had no complaints.
We had neighbors below but only saw them twice. The pool was nice too and it was cleaned everyday but we only used it a couple of times.
Our only complaint was the trees and debris left in our back yard until the last day we were there. We understood they were still cleaning from the storm, but they cleaned up empty villas before ours. It kind of took away from the view, but really no big deal in the grand scheme of things.
Butler
The best part of the trip was our butlers Calicia and Nicola. They really took our honeymoon to the next level. They made reservations for us and escorted us to dinner, picked us up from our room and took us where we need to go, served us breakfast on the balcony every morning and lunch by the manor pool every day. They also had several surprises for us including a romantic bubble bath, candles and petals over the bed and a 30 min couple’s message. Though we had a fully stocked bar, they brought us bottles of our favorite alcohol. We were there for 10 days so we spent a lot of time with them and generally enjoyed their company.

Activities/Excursions
We spent most of our time at the manor pool because that was where the party was and we reserved cabanas every day. We checked out the other pools and though they were nice we just liked the vibe at the manor pool. We also found this hidden pool on the Riviera side near the amphitheater that we also enjoyed. The beach at the beach club was nice but small. It was never crowded so we still enjoyed it. We only hung out at the beach by Kellys at night while we were at Jamie’s so we never really got to see how it was during the day. We didn’t do any water sports and only saw that beach during our dinner on the beach (which was amazing as long as we faced the ocean and ignored the boats behind us).

We were impressed with the nightly entertainment at the show. We were there 10 days so we experienced everything at least once. The chocolate buffet was amazing. The beach party was great to but it was held under a tent due to rain. Still a good time though. We planned to hit some nightclubs off the resort but we never got around to it but we didn’t miss it. There was always a party at Jamie’s.
The spa..oh the spa. It was amazing. I am not a massage person so I was not really into the couples massage and that 30 minutes felt like forever. But then they gave us a sample of the hot stone massage and that was the most amazing 80 minutes of my life. Wait to get there to book, they had specials every day. I would also recommend the dinner on the beach. It was a little overpriced but we enjoyed the experience.
We did go off the resort for shopping. It was ok, most of the shops had the same stuff though and you really had to negotiate to get a reasonable price. We wanted to zip lining but it starting to pour down raining for over an hour so our excursion got cut short. Of course we went at the last minute so we didn’t have time to go back. We did make it horseback riding which was nice. The horses went really slowly until they got in the ocean. It was still a great experience.

Overall the food was pretty good. We are foodies and we live in NYC so we know good food. Admittedly only a few thing were amazing, but its all inclusive so if you don’t like anything get something else. We usually ended up with two entrees so we could try everything. I think we both liked Neptune’s the best. I am not into seafood, but they had this penne pasta that was to die for. And I ate a lot of pizza. The desserts left much to be desired and the jerk chicken was just ok. We get better jerk in Brooklyn.
We dined at all restaurants at least once and enjoyed them all except China Doll. We understood that Jamaicans run on Caribbean time and didn’t mind a wait but it got ridiculous at China Doll. Then the waiter got our order wrong and we had to flag people down for water. We are pretty laid back people but that was just not good. The food ended being not great either so we went to the grill.

The Bad
So here comes the bad part. We had $800 stolen from our room. $800 of our wedding gift money, that we had to bring because we had a destination wedding and could not put it in the bank. We take partial responsibility because though we put it in the safe, my husband forgot to lock it. Security was able to determine when it was locked and unlocked that’s how we were able to figure out that it wasn’t broken into. They were also able to tell who came in and out of or room and between the time it was left unlocked and the time we returned to our room, only the cleaning lady was there. So who do you think took the money?
Ultimately they did the right thing and gave us a credit to our room for the missing money since we were planning to use the cash on spa and excursions anyway. However, this is after making us feel like we were lying since this employee “worked there for many years and would never do that”. So after having our money stolen and not feeling safe leaving cash or expensive items in our room (on our HONEYMOON) we had to endure an interrogation and prove to Customer Relations that we were not making the whole thing up. I cried, my husband was angry and we lost two days trying to sort it all out. It was just a horrible experience and a bad way to remember our honeymoon. After what we spent on the trip and the amount of cash we had on us, clearly we would not try to get $800 off of Sandals. It wasn’t about the money; we expected better customer service from Sandals.

Despite all of that we had a good time and will likely visit a Sandals again, but will leave cash and valuables at home.

Room Tip: Go for a butler villa!
3 Thank Mzlady09
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I booked this trip back in June and offered it as a gift to my parents who accompanied us. We have already been to a Sandals resort and wanted this to be a special occasion. While I was not blown away, I can say my parents (my Dad is 80) were very impressed. Before I offer my review, let me say that I can only imagine the devastation of Sandy on this resort from the descriptions of the staff members. It is clear that while the resort has been restored to operating, they were still working on some infrastructure issues. This is totally understandable. I will not get into the details, as these are not likely to occur in the future.

Check In: We originally booked on the Ocean Side with a penthouse concierge service. We could see from the lobby during the check in process that the crowd was livelier and younger than we expected. First tip of the hat to Ingrid who met with me over my concern and suggested we move to the quieter south Garden side. Recall you need to take a shuttle between each side and it is not long, however, after a week it can be tedious. It was a good decision and the move to the other room was easily handled while we sat and enjoyed a meal.

Room. We stayed in room 7209 - a concierge villa. It was a good size with a comfortable bed and good bathroom. While we did travel in December (getting into winter), I do not think I saw anyone using their private pools and I could see a few from my balcony. I tested the water one day and think the cool temperature keeps people in the main pool. So, probably a great feature just to lounge around, however, it needs to be warmer.

Housekeeping. They did a good job and we rarely bumped into our housekeeper. When we asked for additional pillows and hangers, they were quick to respond. By the way, they had wooden hangers that "hook" into a metal ring so you cannot steal the hanger. This is just a rant, but I'd like to meet the fool that once stole a hanger and now we all have to pay the price! Turn down service was good and only once did they miss filling our mini bar.

Concierge desk. All very nice people with a genuine interest in your comfort. Charlette, Jason, Lennox (he's a droid user so be careful), Andrea, etc. were very helpful to me especially since I had my parents there. All we need to do was to dial them up.

Pool area. There are plenty of pools. One might say too many. You quickly see the boisterous pools and the tranquil ones: choice for everyone. The large pool on the garden side had a great hot tub (100+ degrees).

Food and service. A few people asked me what I thought was my favorite restaurant. I would suggest to you that the food is about equal and it comes down to a matter of taste. Personally, I preferred the local Caribbean cuisine. Kelly's Dockside of course offers a nice venue and would likely be the preference of many. I have read some other reviews regarding quantity and quality. I do not profess to have an intensely discerning palate, however I simply do not understand the negative comments. While we had some great service (Akiem brings me a Red Stripe just as the first finished), we also had moments were there was a "lull" between courses. I think ADD is not just a North American thing. All bartenders have personality or they would not be bartenders. They are a special group.

Watersports. All very good equipment (Hobie cats, kayaks, etc.) and the guys were very helpful. There was always a nice breeze so sailing was enjoyable.

Beaches. As you probably already know, this is not a huge "let's go for a walk" beach. So, if you are into that and do not do other activities, this is not the beach for you. The water is very calm even on the worst of days - especially the protected water area in front of the dock. While it is nice to swim, I never got the feeling that I was looking out over a vast open ocean. And of course, Sandy did take some sand with her.

Golf Course. A short shuttle trip to the resort course was enjoyed. The reception of the pro-shop staff was good although we did run into a cue (line up). As you do not need times, this can happen. My wife and I are similar players (10 handicap) and rented clubs. We wanted to rent one set and have one caddy. No can do. We needed to rent 2 sets and have 2 caddies. Later we saw some couples with one caddy and 2 bags however, this was never offered. Make sure to bring balls and tees (yes, even tees will cost you). The course is fun and can be a good test with some rolling terrain. Solid par 3s and some risk / reward par 5s. Our caddies were good and very attentive (Ronny and Blossom). At the 19th hole, we enjoyed an ice cold Red Stripe. To my surprise, you pay for the beer although it is an all-inclusive resort. Recall the golf course is owned by Sandals. I do not mind, however, it does give you a nickel and dime feeling. They could do away with that.

Scuba Dive Shop. Wade, Mouse, Ike, Dennis, Shaw, Shavon (?), Winston and the rest of the crew were great and personable. And very good divers. It rained quite heavy at night and the 8 rivers (Ocho Rios) pour into the ocean bringing poor visibility (15ft to 50ft). Water temp is a balmy 82 degrees. If you use the resort gear, it is solid equipment from ScubaPro. The scuba pool is clean and a great place for someone to try. The staff is vigorous in their training. If certification is in the plans, the conditions and staff are strong enough that you will be suitably trained and confident. I did 6 dives in all and witnessed their training abilities. Of course, the Sandals dive boats are well equipped.

Misc. I was thankful the staff was very attentive to my parents. It took a load of my shoulders. They remembered their names and welcomed them at every turn. Mark (I think he is a manager on the Garden Villa side) was always visible and that was pleasing to see.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay on the garden side (south across road), I would recommend buildings 4 or 5...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AMorneau
Winnipeg
Reviewed December 8, 2012

My wife and I spent the week of November 24-December 1 2012 at Sandals Grande. We came with my parents who brought us as a (quite awesome) gift. It also happened to be our anniversary that week.

The drive to the resort took 1 hour, 45 minutes, I timed it from leaving the airport till the main gate of the resort. Obviously this time can change due to varying factors such as traffic, driver, etc. We were greeted immediately with cold towels and champagne. A lady from the front desk assisted us in getting our key card, and bringing us to our room (we had checked in online).

Nearly every staff member we passed on the paths during our week would say hello, or at least give a smile and nod. It's small things like this that make you feel welcome.

The food was great. I cook for a living, and while I'm not at all picky, I know what's good and what isn't. Some reviews say the portion sizes are too small. Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but I didn't find I was ever left hungry. Yeah, the appetizers are small. You still get soup, salad, entree, and dessert at most of the restaurants. It's more then enough food and we always left with very full stomachs. The buffets change everyday (one on beach side, one on hillside) and some days are better then others. Soy Sushi and Valentino's had some of my favorite dishes (try the sea bass, or scallop dish at Valentino's). People with food allergy's should not worry. My mother is allergic to eggs and dairy, and it seemed like they used those ingredients in every dish, but (by talking ahead of time) the chef's were very eager to work with her to ensure she had a great meal every time.

The staff was very friendly and willing to help. We loved hanging out at the pool on beach side by the pizza restaurant. The bartenders there were a ton of fun. One day my wife and I were sitting by the bar when she mentioned to me that she'd really like some ice cream. Instantly one of the staff (Monique) said "I'll get it" and walked all the way across the property and came back with a bowl of ice cream and a spoon for my wife.

Things to check out: Wednesday nights are chocolate buffet night on the hillside. DO NOT MISS this. It's literally just tables full of handmade chocolates, fondues, etc. They even had champagne in chocolate dipped glasses. Fridays are beach party's with a massive buffet with all kinds of grilled items including lobster kabobs. I don't know if the entertainment schedule stays the same but on Saturday they had an incredibly talented steel drum band that was very good.

Overall a great experience.

2 Thank jordansawatzky
Ontario,
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This was our first time to Jamaica and to a Sandals. We enjoyed both! Our room was on the hillside and we used the little bus to go back and forth to the beach. Wait times were no more then a few minutes. Our room was on the 2nd floor and was kept very clean and tidy by our maid. Our pool was clean but cool. Twice we had very little hot water but we saw that they were working on the situation and it was corrected after a phone call. One concern that if you are a light sleeper, you may be bothered by the noise of some bugs.They can be quite loud lol
I take ear plugs whenever I travel so I used them.

Pools.... We enjoyed all 3 large pools with their swim up bars. Bartenders and wait staff were quick and looked after us. Lots of activities at the Great House Pool if you want to join in.

Restaurants... We booked reservations at Kimonos and Kelly's Dockside on our first day with no problems. Both were very good! Lots of food. The steak was excellent at Kelly's. Service was a little slow but we were in no hurry to go anywhere. We also went to the Reef Terrace and China Doll. No complaints at all.

Entertainment....The BEST entertainment was the steel drums!!! AMAZING!!! A must see! We have travelled to numerous resorts on many islands but this was the best show we have ever seen. We also enjoyed the Couples Game. The Playmakers work hard! We played beach volleyball almost every day, along with a few games of bocce ball. Went on the glass bottom boat and took out the kayaks. Chocolate, wear white party was excellent too

Day trips....The Sandals catamaran for snorkeling and Dunn's River Falls. $85 per person. Had a fun trip that lasts about half a day. We bought the cd at the Falls for $40 (split it with our friends and made another copy at home) It turned out better then we thought it would. We hired a driver for 4 hours that took us into the mountains and showed us so many things and told us a lot about Jamaica. Ended up in Ocho Rios for a delicious lunch and some shopping. Felt very safe with our driver Glen and he took good care of us. (Email me if you would like his name and number)

We were 2 couples in our mid 50's that have traveled a lot. We were very impressed with the friendliness of all the employees of Sandals. They are great at remembering your names and will do whatever it takes to make your vacation the best it can be. We had concerns about going to Jamaica but not now. We are thinking Negril for next year!

If you have any questions I don't mind answering them for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!