“Exceptional Service!”

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Modesto, California
“Exceptional Service!”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Jamaicans are the friendliest people! The grounds at Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Resort are impectable very well kept. I felt at times like we were in a theme park for adults with its diverse beauty of ocean and rain forest features. The professionalism of the staff was exceptional. My favorite drink was the 'Mama Lo' at Kimmonos. Kimmonos must not be missed.Getting around the property is easy, make sure you take a walk up to the Manor House at least once- when walking you notice more and it's not something everyone does so you get more privacy than you do down on the beach club side of the property. If your a light sleeper you might think about ear plugs, since there is a type of tree frog that makes noise from dark to dawn. Absolutly book a facial or massage at the Red Lane Spa, afterall you're in Jamaica and you're there to relax.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are ideal, although, the sea breeze and hummity will collect on the tile floors and...
4 Thank Irock52baby

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,524)
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Words cannot fully describe how great this trip was for us. It was our first trip to Jamaica and I doubt it will be the last, as we want to return to SGR. With a few exceptions, the staff was incredible. Always there with a smile and to make sure your every need has been met. We want to especially thank Kenroy, Jermaine & Racquel who made every breakfast special! Thanks to Donald & Kerome at Kelly's Bar for the fabulous drinks and to Roy for making the best omlets at breakfast and stir fry at lunch!

The room was fabulous, the view was incredible and although it can be loud at night because of the nightclub, I highly recomment the Riveria Oceanview rooms. We did lose water for roughly 2 days due to a pipe bursting, but the management made sure we were cared for and compensated.

I only had 2 complaints as to staff. I found the front desk staff and some of the concierges to lack the friendliness of the other staff members. We paid for concierge level and often times when we asked for something, I felt like we were bothering them. During one of the water outages, we went to tell them we had no water in the room and they said it wasn't possible because other rooms now had water. We did seek out the manager at that point and she apologized for the treatment and told us the concierge should have come to our room and checked before insisting we had water. The manager made it right in the end.

Back to the good stuff...the restaurants are great. We loved Valentinos for dinner..also great staff and a great manager. At lunch...try out the Jamaican patties at any one of the lunch spots...they are terrific.

As for activities, there is plenty to do, even if you don't want to pay extra for the excursions. There is nightly entertainment and there are games and activities every day at the pools and on the beach.

FYI. I give the "sleep quality" an average rating because of the location of the room in relation to the night club. Also, I list the location as average because it is a long trip from the airport (our trip to the resort took 2 hours) and because the beach is not fabulous.

We loved SGR and look forward to future vacations at SGR and other Sandals properties.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MBTravels73
Reviewed October 6, 2012

There's so much I could say about Sandals Grande Riviera...but overall, it was absolutley wonderful. We were able to book our vacation at an amazing price due to our military discount and a great promotion. Which made the trip even more enjoyable. The food is absolutely fantastic! If you enjoy sushi I strongly suggest Soy. Also, be sure to visit chef Tex at Kimono's - reservation is well worth it. But every restaurant was beyond satisfying. The staff though...the staff is AMAZING! They most definitley made our vacation as enjoyable as it was. Be sure to visit Natalia and Karah at the pool for some playmaker fun. And don't forget about the bartenders! Man do they know how to mix a drink :) Again, I could go on and on. We plan to return as soon as possible!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank cbeymer25
West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I can't express how amazing this trip was for me and my girlfriend. We stayed for 5 days and it was by far the best vacation I've ever had. I firmly believe that you could take that whole resort and move it to several different places in the world and it would be just as beautiful, but the staff of the grande riviera made the experience magical. I've never been anywhere that the entire staff was so friendly and genuinely enjoyed working there. Ajohn, Andre, and Ricardo were awesome bartenders and so entertaining. Oliver the piano player was probably the best surprise of the whole trip. We didn't know what to expect when we went to Ethel's for the piano sing along, but we were treated to a great night of singing and laughter and excellent piano playing. We ate at the hibachi grill and chef Tex was the most entertaining chef I've ever had prepare my food. Ryan the butler was literally a magician. I still don't know how he can move so fast and he was so personable and friendly. Overall I will definitely recommend this resort to everyone I know specifically because of the staff and I'm already planning a return trip next year with a whole bunch more people!!

3 Thank Sam D
Nashville, TN
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This might be a little long, but I just spent five days at SGR for my 30th wedding anniversary. We were there from September 29 to October 4, 2012. The transfers from the airport were easy and upon arrival went to the concierge lounge. We were greeted by Andre who poured us a glass of champagne got all of our paperwork together. A jitney then took us to our room. This wasn't the best part.
From looking at the rooms online and thinking I had picked the perfect Villa, to seeing our room, I was very disappointed. I thought that I was getting a suite with separate living room, but it was just a room. My wife was okay because it was a surprise for her, but I wasn't happy. I went to the concierge office in a pretty bad mood, but that is where the difference from some other resorts that I have stayed at happened. They listened to my concerns and eventually found us another room. A "butler villa" without the butler service. It was interesting to hear that there are 26 levels of accommodations at SGR. I also complained about the liquor brands in the rooms and they asked what I wanted and brought it to the room. Our room now was close to perfect.
The first night we ate at Soy, the sushi bar. The sushi was good, but portions small. Just keep ordering if there is not enough. We went to the bar at Kelly's that is right on the water and the bartender Donald made some interesting concoctions. We then went to Jamie's and it was great fun. Sunday, we had some rain so it was a lazy day. We ate at Market Place buffet and were pleased with the food. That night we had a reservation at Kelly's and I ordered a fillet. It was inedible, and my wife had a filet that she enjoyed. Very small as the waiter told us. He offered to have another one cooked but I opted not to try another one. The weather was much better on Monday and we had a nice day on the beach, went snorkeling and at pizza at Bella Napoli (excellent) and ended up eating dinner at the Manor. I had some of the best red snapper that I have ever had. We ended up eating a late night snack that night of jerk chicken that was excellent also. Tuesday, we renewed our vows. The wedding planner, Anna Kay was excellent and all went off without a hitch. The photographer, driver and our server were all excellent. Later that day, we had a couples champagne massage that was overpriced but great. Dinner that night was on the beach and was beautiful. Excellent service and private. The perfect ending to a great day. Wednesday we had breakfast in our room as part of our wedding package. Food was excellent. The day was overcast, so there wasn't much beach time. We also had to do a photo viewing that day which took over an hour. We took a catamaran cruise called the Lovers Rock cruise but that was never pointed out. The cruise was enjoyable, snacks and open bar. We had dinner reservations at Kimono and it was excellent. Junior was our chef and he was very entertaining. Thursday was our departure which went very smooth. We had breakfast again in the Market place and it again was good. Departures were easy.
In short, the property is very nice, well kept and clean. The service is excellent. I cannot stress enough how the staff wants to keep everybody happy. Beach area is small but okay. Food is very good - not great - but very good. Portions at meals are small. Pool areas are lively and fun with activities. We would definitely go back to Sandals, maybe one with a bigger beach next time but for this short trip it was fine.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank knealagent
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I had/have been using Jamaica as a destination since 1997 and I have stayed at both the Ritz Carlton & Half Moon Bay, I have also stayed a number of times at a resort in Ocho Rios by the name of Ciboney, and though it was at best a 3.5 to 4 star resort, the villas, staff and food were always good. The resort seemed to drop off the earth June 2001, why I don't know? Ciboney is gone but say HELLO to Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort!!

So here we go. Landed on time (thank you Delta) had no baggage to collect and went right through customs and out to the greetings hall and located the Sandals check in area/room and poof was whisked to a van and off we went to the resort, took about 1.5 hours first thing I noticed that since my last trip to Jamaica the roads have been GREATLY improved. So my rum punch didn't spill a drop. I remember the 90's and always liked the drive into Ocho Rios and turning right into the front gates (RIGHT HILLSIDE AND NOT LEFT BEACHSIDE) into the old resort and up the hill to the Manor House, check in and get the Jitney up to my Villa, take a quick dip in my private pool unpack walk out on my balcony and took at the view of crystal blue waters. Paradise found. Not all villas have ocean views so be smart when booking and tell them exactly what you want.

So, here's where all my fond memories of a NO LONGER RESORT begins, last week when I was on the van to the Sandals Grand Riviera Resort and Spa I was just going to make the best of it! You know what, the shuttle van TURNED RIGHT and my heart filled with joy. Sandals bought the resort after they fall into Bankruptcy in 2001. I felt like I was going back to my class reunion, I was taken into the Concierge lounge, checked in and told ALL ABOUT the property! NO bracelet needed they take an imprint of a major CC incase you want to shop in the gift shops (2 great shops) or use WiFi... A sweet lady checked me in by the Name of Shankeka.

I am shocked beyond anything that I remember from the old resort, all was good, but Sandals up graded EVERYTHING above and beyond belief without taking the charm away from the old 3.5 - 4 start resort and made this hillside resort with villas a 5 STARS RESORT.

This new property is super deluxe all the way, staff are ALL happy and excited to see you each and every second of the day or night. Sandals has added more restaurants and Im eating my way threw them ALL! The only complaint is my rum punch seems to drain faster then they can get me another... In Jamaica having to wait 5 seconds to refill is crazy… JOKE. They have added new pools new swim up bars, fire pizza oven and BBQ (with great cheese burgers) area at the main pool and there is wait staff everywhere looking for ways to assist you!

Guess what it get's better, before Sandals, the resort had a very tiny beach and pier, that's all gone and a new hotel has been built with I think 6 more restaurants, areas to relax around at and picture perfect water and yes more gracious staff falling all over you.

I was able to see a few rooms in the new property, the rooms are stylish, amanitas perfect and the views mind blowing! The difference between the beach side and the villa side is quite different.

The villas are all perched on a hill side very jungle-esk you can stay in a private villa, two bedroom villa or a four bedroom villa, all have private pools, above a private villa you share the private pool (4 rooms max) chairs etc. two flat screen tv's fully stocked mini frig and FULL bottles of liquor. Glasses and wine glasses for the two bottles of wine all replaced when finished EVERYDAY. Now the bathrooms. Gorgeous amanitas, LOVE THE TUB, and full size product. No mini bottles. And for you ladies or gentlemen that want to see the pors on your face they have magnifying "make-up" mirrors.

The GM's name is Mr. Brian Roper and his side kick Assistant Manager is Mr. Mark, sorry do not remember is last name. Make sure to meet them, you will find Mr. Roper in the fitness center 24/7 and mark will be at any of the buffet's 24/7. These two men are why the staff here is happy, helpful, gracious and hard working! I had the great pleasure to have dinner with Mr. Roper and learn how this property came to be. I won't tell you more here just meet him yourself he loves what he does and it shows.

Don't do what I have done for years and think/thought Sandals was for families with young children, it's not it's 18 and older. There is so much to do and see here, not to mention EAT here as well. I met many guests, yes all at the swim up bars and the other guests love it here too and of course a swim up bar is the perfect place to meet new friends!

You never need to leave this property but if you do, there is Concierge and activity staff almost 24/7 to help you find whatever activity you can dream up...

Ok must sign off, have a private scuba dive in an hour and need to get my suit. Oh yes Im still here sitting and writing this right now... Have to go home in 3 days, BUT I will be BACK!

Go online, book a room, suite or villa and relax in the comfort and style you expect!!!

Travel smart/safe and enjoy. B

P.s. I have ton's of photos to add later, I forgot to bring my cable to down load from my camera to my MacBook...

Room Tip: Go on line and decide do you want a villa in the hills or a view of the beach?
5 Thank HBAcres
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals Grande Riviera Beach & Villa Golf Resort in Ocho Rio Sept.7th-14th, 2012 for 7 nights in one of the Romeo & Juliet Honeymoon Sanctuary One Bedroom Butler Suite with Private Pool. We stayed in this Sandals Resort in May 2008 for our 20th Wedding Anniversary and decide to go back and check out the updates, etc. We stayed in the same accommodations again and our room was updated with a new bed, new flat screen TV's, new paint, etc. very nice. The entire property was updated in some way by either new paint, new furniture, etc. They also added a new beach area and some new restaurants that were very nice additions to this property. Its a very big property the mountain side and then there is the beach side both are very nice but we like the mountain side because it is more quite. All the restaurants we went to the food was very good the only one we did not like was the Bayside, well at least my husband did not like what he had but it could be because it was our first night at the resort and we had been traveling all day and just want to relax...we should have just order room service and stayed in that first evening! Our Butlers were Moria and Ray and they did a great job. I always go onto the Sandals website and fill in the butler information so they know what we expected; what we like to eat, drink, and do while on vacation and the butlers paid attention to detail. One day Moria arranged for us to have a lobster lunch in our room and she went way above and beyond we had a full meal (more like dinner) she also read my mind and even brought a plate with a bunch of different kinds of sweets for us to have afterward. My husband had pitches of bloody mary's mix made-up a head of time and in our refrigerate every day for him to drink while swimming in our private plunge pool. The butlers also had a plate of cut up fruit and cheese and crackers in refrigerator beside all the wine, champagne, etc. One evening Ray decorated our bed and setup a nice hot bubbly bath for us with all kinds of flowers and candles lite up. It was not a special occasion this time but they sure made it feel like it was...thanks again Moria and Ray. The Entire Staff at the resort did a great job, bartenders, waiter & waitress, maids, drivers, cooks, etc. As always the people of Jamaica are very friendly and helpful and I'm sure we will be back again this was our 3rd visit to Jamaica and it will not be our last! The weather was awesome the entire time we were at the resort.
Have been to other Sandals Resorts – Jamaica-Negril & St. Lucia, we have stayed at sandals resorts multiple times because we got great service all the way around even when it was not a special occasion.
Other resorts we have stayed at Dreams Resorts – Cancun Mexico, H10 Resort – Cancun Mexico, The Reserve Paradisus Palma Real – Punta Cana, and NCL Cruise's.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mountain side are quite and much more private! We also love the bulter service if you...
3 Thank Becky P
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!