“Absolute perfection in paradise... and the traveling tips you need to know about shopping, diving, sightseeing etc...”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Fort Walton Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I are a young couple that really enjoys traveling the Caribbean/West Indies, we have been to several islands in the W.I. and chose Jamaica for our second anniversary because we were dead set on Sandals and had already been to Sandals in St. Lucia and Antigua, it was a toss up between Jamaica and the Bahamas, we decided Jamaica ultimately thinking we would have more exposure to different dive sites. We have been to one other all inclusive resort unaffiliated with Sandals, and having been to Sandals first, the other all inclusive did not compare on any level! I will break down some travel tips from what we learned while in Jamaica and at this particular resort, however there are 3 to choose from on Jamaica and I can only speak for this one.

PRIVATE AIRPORT TRANSFER: Since going to Sandals St. Lucia and staying at The Grande and enduring an included 2-3 hour transfer from the airport, we decided from then on that we were willing to pay extra for a private transfer and just chock it up as a travel expense rather than a luxury. This go round, our resort was about 90 minutes away, Sandals offers a private shuttle for nearly $400 round trip stocked with wine and beer, we thought that was outrageous and booked a private taxi through JUJU Tours (It's on tripadvisor for Jamaica) and we paid $100 each way with beer and rum punch. It was a taxi, not an impressive limousine, but it was comfortable and private and drinks were provided upon request. If you are looking at staying at Sandals Montego Bay, the complimentary shuttle is perfectly acceptable, the resort is less than 15 minutes from the airport.

BUTLER SUITE: When we were booking our accommodations, we compared many rooms, our goal was to get there and stay for as inexpensively as possible, we decided we wouldn't spend that much time in the room anyways, so let's just get there for the best price possible, after spending days doing different room combinations and dates we ultimately found a special on the honeymoon orchid poolside butler suite, after all of the discounts it was cheaper than a low or mid grade room. We got lucky, but I would encourage anyone on a budget to do the same. Once we arrived, the butler greeted us immediately, gave us a run down on what to expect and what they could do for us... it was a very nice touch, however, we weren't very comfortable making a ton of requests, if you will utilize your butler, its an amazing feature, but on this particular resort, which is divided by a highway in Ocho Rios, if you stay on the manor side (which we did) they are limited by not being able to cross the street often if you prefer to spend your time on the beach side, which we did. So if you want to spend the money just to be waited on, I'd say try another resort, as I said, for the price, we couldn't beat it, and we enjoyed getting to know the butler's personally and we did enjoy what we requested of them when we did.

RESORT: We enjoyed the seaside of the resort the most, you can take the bus, which is under 2 minutes away, (it's just a safety precaution to cross the street) and get off either at "Ochi beach club" or at the main lobby for the seaside of the resort. We mainly enjoyed club ochi, the western most beach was more private and secluded, there was a crowd that enjoyed more of the social scene and they hung out more around the main pools with swim up bars and DJ's or at Jamie's sports bar which was beach front and also hosted a DJ and games and competitions. It was entertaining at times, but we enjoyed the seclusion of the other beach. The amphitheatre is fun and has nightly entertainment... you should receive a schedule of events for every day.... one of the best things we did was a friday night chinese flying lantern release for the sandals foundation which benefits the less fortunate in the caribbean.

FOOD: All of the food was tasty and pretty much as described on the menus. The made to order omelets at breakfast every morning were an indulgence as well as all of the pastries! The breakfast buffet on the Seaside is better than the one at Market side, you will have access to both, since our room was located on the Manor/Market side, we would just catch the little bus over and grab breakfast on the seaside before spending the day either paddle boarding, diving, sailing, snorkeling or lounging on the beach which is nearby. We also loved the jerk chicken and rice and peas available at the "snack" spots.

BEVERAGES: The drinks are great, there will be a drink of the day, and we sampled it everyday! I loved the planters punch, it is really strong, 1-2 and you're good. The main reason I put this subject in here is because we saw someone who had a genius idea!! Bring your own "tervis" style insulated cup with a lid and straw for bar refills so you have to get up less often, the staff will be there to wait on you and refill your drink, but depending on when and where you are, you will likely just get up and get one yourself before they make it back around. If you forget to pack one, the resort gift shop even sells some, the bar tenders shouldn't have a problem filling it for you. This mainly came in handy when enjoying shows in the amphitheatre, the nearest bar is a small walk away, but you'll make multiple trips during the show if you don't bring your own large sippy cup!! Genius!!

SHOPPING: This is where we went wrong... we hired a cab driver and asked for shopping in the Ocho Rios area, we also used him for an airport transfer (details above) so we trusted he would hook us up.... however, I think he wanted to hook up his fellow locals.... which is understandable... we don't mind helping support those who rely on tourism, we really enjoyed their country, but we also don't like being made fools of. We were taking to a place called "Rainbow" market or store or something.... it is so outrageously priced!! We were shocked and felt pressured to buy things... we spent over $300 in this one "souvenir" store.... RIDICULOUS!! Now I know we could have said "no", but we didn't. We also went to a really run down looking outdoor market when we asked for a "craft" market.... we weren't given a name of this place, but it is just a block or so from the "rainbow" place... also a huge rip off... we later realized that everything we bought (most available was junk) was available in our Sandals gift shop for a fraction of the price, in my experience, I am used to resorts marking up their prices, however, this was not the case, even the alcohol for sale in the Sandals gift shop was $5-10 cheaper per bottle on the resort. LATER at the airport, the duty free was more than 50% less than what it was at the resort... we felt so ripped off!!!! And we are usually pretty savvy travelers, I think the poverty and pressure we felt in the markets really influenced us, so I'd say if you want that off resort shopping experience, unless you are willing to pay for it tenfold, skip it.... maybe just take a cab ride around rather than shop or speak to any of the locals. UTILIZE THE DUTY FREE!!

SIGHT SEEING: We went against the advice of only booking tours through the resort and took a local fishing boat out for some fishing and Dunn's River Falls. Probably one of our best decisions!! We have known from our first vacation together that we are not crowd or tour people, we usually will only book a tour if it is private rather than getting shuffled along with 30 other tourists, so we tend to find things to do off the beaten path, in this case, on vacation day 1, we were yelled at by some locals docked at the sandals boat dock, they will also be selling shells, etc. The resort will tell you to ignore them, we aren't very rude people so we chatted a bit and decided to try an early morning fishing trip on a small local boat followed by a boat ride to Dunn's River Falls. We spent a fraction with these 2 guys "Gary & Capt. Bob" we caught 2 black fin tuna and something else that was huge and ultimately got off our line. Later at the resort, our butler said we did good because people will go on fishing charters and not even get a nibble @ about $200p/p. The falls were amazing... I would recommend that everyone do them!! You can do the walking trail or you can get in the water and climb them, which is what we did!! Totally worth it and only $20 per person!! See the pics attached!! We also really enjoyed the Cayoba Gardens, it's only $10 p/p to get in, we took a cab and had the place to ourselves, a gentle very old man was our tour guide, he was knowledgeable and friendly. We garden and were fascinated by the flora and fauna, if that's not for you, might not be fun, but the views of Ocho Rios are stunning and there is access to a piece of the falls.

DIVING: VERY IMPORTANT!!! If you want to dive without any hassle, do NOT check any of the listed conditions on the waiver!! My husband and I were completely honest on the form and had to forego the first few days of diving due to trying to obtain a doctor's release via fax back from the states saying we were fit to dive. Simply just put "no" in all of the blanks and sign and move on. Once we were cleared to dive, it wasn't very impressive if you are an avid diver, if you only get to go occasionally, you will likely enjoy the clear water, pretty reef and good conditions. We were only slightly disappointed in the lack of wildlife that we saw.... there were several tiny reef fish, including the smallest lion fish I have ever seen, 1 flounder, 2 huge spiny lobster and about 1 dozen king crab in 1 location. Not a bad dive, just not the best if you have ever been to a premo diving spot.

MOBAY DEPARTURE LOUNGE: $30 per person, includes wifi, a full bar and some snacks, a speed pass through security and check in. Worth it? Eh... if you need the wifi and will indulge in the drinks... the snacks are ok, but not worth the price, the lounge could have been more comfortable than regular airport seating, but was so crowded that it wasn't any better than sitting at your gate. We were too exhausted to indulge in drinks, much less to make up for our $30 entry fee. The fast pass was a nice touch, especially if you're traveling on Saturday (busiest day for caribbean flights) and during peak hours, but still not sure if it was $30 worth. You decide.

Anyway, we had a dreamy vacation!! We were in love with the island and pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it was and how friendly the resort staff was. Sandals never disappoints!!

8 Thank Maria C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,523)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Grande Riviera, and we had such an amazing time. It was as if we had never truly been on vacation until then. And that means a lot to us because I grew up in Hawaii.

It was the all-luxury-included aspect that made the whole thing come together. I thought I had previously been to "all-inclusive" resorts, but apparently not. Everyone we met in Jamaica was so friendly, happy, carefree, and that wonderful energy transferred to the tourists. Everywhere we went and to everyone we spoke, we got the same responses, "Why not?", "No problem," "Yeah, Mon." The staff at this place seemed to bend over backwards to make us happy and fulfill our every whim. It was almost embarrassing at times to receive such extraordinary service. Oh yeah, and they are not allowed to accept tips, which totally removed that "how much should I give?" anxiety.

The Grande Riviera was a particularly special Sandals resort, in itself. Special thanks go out to Jermain and Erron, the bartenders at Ethel's, who regaled us with great stories about their island home and about Sandals' founder, Gordon "Butch" Stewart, who we then enjoyed reading about. Ethel's piano bar overlooking the beach here was originally Mr. Stewart's grandmother's home, and where he grew up as a child. Aside from the sun and all the luxurious amenities, the history of this resort and the St. Ann's Parish area made our stay much more meaningful (Bob Marley, Christopher Columbus, Ian Fleming, etc).

We are totally sold on the Sandals experience, and would gladly give them our money again in exchange for the elusive and intangible gift of time and happiness.

Room Tip: For more peace and serenity, choose a villa nearer the top of the hillside up Hummingbird Lane.Or ch...
3 Thank Candabar
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was NOT at all looking forward to staying in a Sandals property, actually never have just always thought it would be filled with snot-nosed children running all over! I had been using Jamaica as a destination since 1997 and I have stayed at both the Ritz Carlton, Half Moon Bay and a number of times at a resort in Ocho Rios by the name of Cibboney(sp) Cibboney was a Randison managed property and though it was at best a 3.5 to 4 star resort, the villas, staff and food 24/7 were always great. Cibboney seemed to drop off the earth June 2001, why I don't know?

So here we go. Landed on time (thank you Delta) had no baggage to collect and went right through customs and out to the greetings hall. Found the Sandals check in area/room and poof was whisked to a van and off we went to the resort, took a good 1.5 hours first thing I noticed that since my last trip to Jamaica the roads have been GREATLY improved. So my rum punch didn't spill a drop. I always like the drive and turning right into Cibboney and up the hill to the Manor House, speedy check in and then get the Jitney up to my Villa, take a quick dip in my private pool unpack walk out on my balcony and took at the view of crystal blue waters. Paradise found. Not all villas have ocean views so be smart when booking and tell them exactly what you want.

So last week when I was on the van to a Sandals resort I was just going to make the best of it!!! You know what, the van turned right and my heart filled with joy. Sandals bought the Cibboney resort after they fall into Bankruptcy in 2001. I felt like I was going back to my class reunion, I was taken into the Concierge lounge, check in told ALL ABOUT the property! NO bracelet needed they take an imprint of a major CC incase you want to shop in the gift shops or use WiFi... A sweet lady check me in by the Name of Shanikwa(sp)

I am shocked beyond anything that I remember from Cibboney they upgraded beyond belief without taking the charm away. My Cibboney is now 5 STARS!!!!! Just under a different name.

This new Cibboney is super deluxe all the way, staff are ALL happy and excited to see you each and every second of the day or night. Sandals has added more restaurants and Im eating my way threw them ALL!! The only complaint is my rum punch seems to get emptied faster then they can get me another... In Jamaica having to wait 10 seconds to refill is crazy... JOKE. They have added new pools new swim up bars in the pools fire pizza oven and BBQ area at the main pool and their is wait servers everywhere looking for ways to assist you!

Guess what it get's better, my Cibboney had a very tiny old beach and pier, that's all gone and a new hotel has been built with I think 6 more restaurants, areas to lay around picture perfect water and yes more gracious staff falling all over you.

I was able to see a few rooms in the new property, the rooms are stylish, amanitas perfect and the views mind blowing!!! The difference between the beach side and the villa side is quite different. The villas are all perched on a hill side very jungle-esk you can stay in a private villa, two bedroom villa or a four bedroom villa, all have private pools, above a private villa you share the private pool (4 rooms max) chairs etc. two flat screen tv's fully stocked mini frig and FULL bottles of liquor. Glasses and wine glasses for the two bottles of wine all replaced when finished EVERYDAY. Now the bathrooms. Gorgeous amanitas, LOVE THE TUB, and full size product. No mini bottles. And for you ladies or gentlemen that want to see the pours on your face they have magnifying "make-up" mirrors.

The GM's name is Brian and his side kick Mark. Make sure to meet them, you will find brain in the fitness center 24/7 and mark will be at any of the buffet's 24/7. These two men are why the staff here is happy, gracious and hard working!!! I had the great pleasure to have dinner with Brian and learn how this property came to be. I won't tell you more here just meet him yourself he loves what he does and it shows.

Don't do what I have done for yours and think/thought Sandals was for families with children under 18. There is so much to do and see here, not to mention EAT here as well. The guests love it here and a swim up bar is the perfect place to meet new friends!!

You never need to leave thins property but if you do, there is 24/7 activity staff to help you find whatever activity you can dream up...

Ok must sign off, have a private scuba dive in an hour and need to get my suit. Oh yes Im still here sitting and writing this right now... Have to go home in 3 days, BUT will be BACK!!!!

Go online, book a room, suite or villa and relax in the comfort and style you expect!!!

Travel smart/safe and enjoy. B

P.s. I have ton's of photos to add later, I forgot to bring my cable to down load from my camera to MacBook...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Sandals Jamaica was so exceptional that they put us in a new all inclusive bracket. Now we cannot stay anywhere else without being disappointed.

When we were first planning to travel to Jamaica we were ecstatic about it and made all kinds of plans for the trip. Later on I read a lot of reviews and was on one hand getting worried about certain aspects – I was told not to leave the resort and to be extra vigilant with safety etc. Due to the many reviews and tips we were able to make some adjustments to our normal travel that made things great. Here is our actual experience which was a great one.

We arrived at the airport – immediately found the beautifully decorated Sandals lounge right at the airport where a butler offered us fresh squeezed pineapple juice. He was so classy and collected – that was the first of many great experiences. We were staying at Sandals Ocho Rios and so we were directed to a neat mostly glass bus where we took an hour and a half ride through the real Jamaica to get to our resort. We were so glad about that because initially we were not planning on leaving the resort because of some of the reviews warnings not to – so to see the towns and houses and stores was very interesting to us. Feel free to wave to any kids you see – they are delighted and wave back.

They let us stop for a break at a little roadside cafe and store – we loved that. It was a neat little place with t-shirts for sale in the store etc. When we arrived at the resort there were a lot checking in. We were directed inside to the couches while our hotel representative checked us in – collected our keys and brought them back to us with a brief explanation that they will take our bags to our room – to go with the staff member assigned to us – and they will take us to our room and we should wait there for our bags and for further instruction.

The baggage man came and spoke to us briefly and we moved in. Our room overlooked a fish pond in which we delighted in feeding each day with slices of bread pilfered from the buffet. Some ponds even have big grumpy turtles that also like bread. I had a daily routine of sneaking bread off the buffet to feed the fish.

The grounds are beautiful. Tropical flowers, fish, birds – I have a bunch of photos of just different flowers and plants.. There are these neat black birds that steal the Splenda off the tables when you’re not looking. Drives the waitresses crazy – they’ll take them away on empty tables to stop them and when someone leaves their table they are back at it again. We kept trying to take pictures of them but they are quick.

The Staff: All staff and the persons we met outside the resort are a blast. Fun and friendly – the original cool kids. Everyone asks you not to leave when you are checking out and even the grounds keeper goes “you will come back wont you?” When we went up to the front desk and explained we had been given a notice of check out the girl says “if you like – I can just rip this up and you can keep staying here” So nice.

Excursions: We decided to try the ziplining, the tubing down the river and climbing Dunn’s River Falls.

Ziplining: The funniest thing about the zipline is that you climb up a mountain side – stand on this little platform and they say “put your flat hand on the wire behind you to slow down, you turn yourself by turning this little buckle etc. And then they say “Are you ready Mon?” At that point you are looking at this big cliff into the jungle – and this harness get up and it’s not like a ski hill chair lift where you can kind of tell the contraption is holding your weight as it slowly lifts off the ground – you are standing over nothing and have to just step off – that’s the first time you find out if the harness etc. Is going to hold you – so there you are standing on this chasm and they say “are you ready Mon?” before you can even say yes or no – wham – you are pushed from behind off the platform and down you go – it’s too scary to even scream – although the guy ahead of you (staff) yells funny things when he goes off to the next platform. Where you land was scary and fun – being way up a jungle tree standing on a metal grid you can see through is just crazy wrong. Very fun.

Tubing though the White River: This was actually the best thing to do – we took a bus to the spot – we could see little collections of homesteads down in the Jungle on our drive. We went under a bridge that was built by the Spaniards in the 1600’s – this was the best part of the trip. Our guides showed us gecko eggs on leaves, helped us through any rapids and we also stopped at a little riverside house to have lunch. Feed the dogs if you want – they say it’s ok. If you want to be extra safe tell the guides you don’t swim so good and they watch you like hawks. They also sing cool Jamaican folk songs. The funniest part is their humour – it goes with Canadian humour really well. When we were getting into our tubes in the “White River” with all the vines hanging down and the river looking dark and kind of ominous the guide says “You know why they call it the “White River”? We said no and the guide says “Because of all the White tourists we lose in it every year” We laughed our heads off – it was meant as a joke. Great trip.

Tipping: Tip the guy at the airport that puts your bag on a cart. The bus driver to and from the airport. The lady that braids your hair on the beach. The guy who brings your bags to your room etc. The cab driver that takes you to town and back to shop, even the bartender sometimes. Normally you only have to tip ones outside the resort but inside you are not supposed to have to but it is appreciated and a nice perk for the workers.

If you want to bring something better than a tip to the staff: The female staff are delighted if you give them any current paperbacks you are reading. They cannot seem to get the new ones down there and when they are there they are too expensive. If you give someone your paperback you have to write inside that it is a gift or else they could get in trouble if it looks like they have it without permission. Someone said that while the women love to read – I have no idea what the bartenders would have liked from Canada as a gift.

Funny things the locals said: They all have these great huge tropical plants in their yards – so I commented on their beautiful exotic plants that we could never grow in Canada and he said “they are weeds” “So I said – this 30 foot tall plant is a weed?” and he goes “Yes” So I told him “You’ve waited too long buddy” (too long to pull it). We are from Alberta but for some reason a lot of locals asked us if we were from Saskatchewan – they apparently get a lot of visitors from there.

Our favourite dinner places:
The Arizona: Out on the dock – at night it is so beautiful. Out in the darkness you could see night divers coming and going off the boat and a floating table for one being served by kayak.
Bayside: This was so good we ate there every day. There was the cutest thing to watch – these little black birds sneak up and steal packets of splenda from any unattended table – pigeons come running if you drop any crumbles from your bread. If you love nature – there are cute creatures here.

Tips for the unwary traveller: Luggage locks that are approved by the airline so they can open them if they want but no one else can. Lock your main luggage whenever you leave the room just in case. Keep French doors locked if you are not in the room. If you want to leave the resort to shop or to see Margaritaville – ask the hotel for a cab driver that they would recommend. They have a short list and they take you into town – stick around while you shop – lock your purchases in the vehicle and drive you back. You don’t pay them until you get return and the price is $28.00.

We’ll be back! I noticed that some mentioned that the Ocho Rios beach and swim area being enclosed with docks but we loved it – you felt safer because no salesmen could boat up and bug you and there were no large fish that could get in the area.

If you left the area there would be this guy in a canoe trying to sell shells. One time we walked by and he said “The other couple you were with bought a shell and never brought my money – we let him know that we came to the resort alone and there was no “other guy” he dropped it immediately having been found out. Steer clear of him.

Otherwise Sandals treats you like an English nanny watching over her charges, everything is taken care of and if you leave the resort they arrange for the one to drive you that they take from a list of trustworthy drivers. You are in good hands.

By far the best thing about Jamaica is the people, talk to any of the locals every chance you get and your holiday will be great. So laid back, so funny and they invented their own musical style - how cool is that?

Room Tip: Ask for the side closest to the ocean. The other side is newer but you have to take this big golf ca...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bluebear7727
florida
Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Sandals for 4 days and came for a wedding. We were upgraded to a villa with a private pool. The rooms were romantic, pools beautiful, and overall resort was very nice!
I appreciated the friendliness of the staff and the conveniences that the resort has to offer.
My only slight disappointment was the food. It wasn't horrible but our cruises had much better variety and flavor.
Although Sandals is expensive, I would stay at one again!

• Stayed September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I got married there and everything was perfect!
The wedding planner organized everything, definetely a no-stress-wedding!
And the resort is beautiful, with comfortable rooms, good restaurants and a lot to drink and eat whenever you want!
The staff is kind, you can ask everything and they will do what they can to satisfy your requests! The housekeepers did an excellent job and our room and the resort in general was really clean

1 Thank Silvia M
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

A bit of a journey from CA, but far more affordable than Hawaii. Hotel was awesome! All inclusive is definitely the way to go. The staff could not have been nicer and more helpful. The Jamaicans are very accommodating and welcoming. On our trip we did several activities...

1. Catamaran cruise / Dunn's Rivers Waterfall Hike - I highly recommend this one, especially if you're young-ish (under 50?). The waterfall hike is really fun and the party on the boat is a GREAT time. Snorkeling wasn't much to see, but oh well.

2. Swimming with dolphins - There are three levels that range from expensive to cheap(ish). We did the middle one. It's a little steep, but well worth it. Dolphins are amazing animals and it was fun to spend some time playing with them.

3. Tubing down the river - a little boring and not worth it. Rapids are minimal and current is virtually non existant. Good work out for your arms though

4. Bob Marley tour - I didn't care much about the museum (although it was cool to see), but the ride there is worth the price of admission. You won't get a better view of the city and the local culture on any other tour.

5. Scotchie's Jerk Chicken House - About 20 min ($40 roundtrip) from Grand Riviera. It's the place that everyone says to go for real jerk meat. And it did not disappoint.

6. Kimono's - by far the best dinner we had (twice) at the resort

*note - when you take tours/excursions, bring cash because the drivers/guides are not affiliated with the hotel and expect to be tipped

Room Tip: The pool on the non-beach side is much more lively and that's where most people want to be durin...
3 Thank JoshGilbert
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!