“Amazing Place. Beautiful & Friendly People. IRIE Mon!”

Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Wesley Chapel, Florida
“Amazing Place. Beautiful & Friendly People. IRIE Mon!”
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My wife and I had a fantastic time at the Sandals Grand Riviera Beach and Villa Golf Resort. We stayed for an entire week from 3-12-11 to 3-19-11 and from the moment we arrived in Jamaica Sandals had arranged for everything. We got around very easily with Jitneys and Shuttle buses. All of the restaurants had great food and service. We never had to wait to be seated. We we never hungry. They have so many restaurants we did not get to try them all. The restaurants we tried were awesome. There was seafood, Asian, Italian, and all kinds of international and caribbean cuisine to choose from. We stayed on the Villa/Manor side. It was very private and romantic. It was perfect. I read reviews about people complaining about construction noise on the beach side so we decided to stay on the Villa side. We made the right choice. Sandals is building a new restaurant near the beach so I can imagine if your room was close to that it could be annoying. However, we were not inconvenienced by this at all.

We went zip lining and on the Dunn's River Falls tours. These were amazing once in a lifetime experiences. Zip lining through the mountain jungles and climbing about a thousand feet up the waterfall. I recommend these activities. Spicy Jo our tour driver for the Zip Line was hilarious.

The room was spacious and had everything we needed. Dawnette was our "room stylist" and every day a new creative scene involving animals made from towels was left on our bed with fresh flower petals. It was very beautiful. All of the staff made us feel welcome. We did not want to go when our time was up. Our concierge Georgia made sure we were taken care of. She helped us plan and confirm all of our events/activities. The other staff that stood out during our trip were the bubbly and energetic Josie the Playmaker, the magic hands and playfulness of Nastasia (Red Lane, all of the spa people we dealt with were amazing, Thanks), Kevon (aka "Shortman") the waiter at Neptune's/Mariner's Grill & Pops the Jitney driver who made sure not to spill our beer on the rides home! These were only the peoples names we can remember, but everyone we met was great. Everyone was polite and helpful. It was very refreshing and relaxing. Sandals has a daily itinerary with everything planned out for you. It was so nice to not have to plan anything. All we had to do was eat, drink, and be merry... I mean IRIE.

Thank you all for a memorable vacation we will never forget. Job well done. See you soon :)

Jon & Kelly B.

3 Thank Beer2211

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,544)
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed March 21, 2011

I looked at all the negative reviews and ignored them, ( SHOULD HAVE LISTENED). The noise of contruction is very annoying from7am until late afternoon. I tried fro 6 nights to eat at Valentinos and was turned away every time. I went to Dinos and ordered pizza and ended up not eating after waiting for 2 hours due to they gave my order to another group of people. Two employees ( JASON LYNCH & JOSIE THE PLAYMAKER) were very nice and helpful but the rest was not the same as Montego Bay( I should have went back to MONTEGO BAY). I was dissatisfied with the beach area and pool situation( UNDER CONSTRUCTION) . You walk out of the hotel and there was 10 feet of beach and then water, very small. The first night we were turned away from Valentinos, we went to the Reef Terrace and waited 45 minutes and once we were brought our food the employees started clearing our table while we were eating( salt, pepper, candle) with a very ugly attitude very disresectful. If they didnt want me ther just ask and i will leave. I Dont know if things have changed but at Montego Bay we felt equal to everyone but at Ocho Rios Sandals I felt like I was bottom of the food chain every where on the resort. It was hell trying to get a drink at Jamies bar because of drunk bartenders. The best time WE HAD WAS OFF OF THE RESORT AT DOLPHIN COVE ,VERY NICE PEOPLE. I WAS SO DISSATISFIED BY THE SECOND NIGHT I ASKED TO BE MOVED TO MONTEGO BAY AND WAS UNSUCCESSFUL. WHEN WE CHecKED OUT THEY TRIED TO CHARGE ME FOR A EXCURSION THAT WE DID NOT GO ON. I will be going to sandals again not Ocho Rios.Dont make the same mistake( listen to the reviews)
SINCERELY, SCOTT HIDALGO. ( shidalgo@qualityenergy.net )

1 Thank shidalgo
Rocklin, California
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We picked sandals because we wanted to have a destination wedding and the idea of a fully inclusive resort appealed to us. We were very happy with our choice, the rooms nice, the views awesome, and the staff are some of the friendliest people around. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the service in the restaurants was a little slow, but just accept that everyone is on Jamaica time and you will be good.

1 Thank JordanPrewitt
Ontario
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We had a great week with fabulous meals, friendly and attentive service and a fantastic pool! The resort did slip a couple of times and while staff always apologetic, they need to work on these things to truly be 5 star. The staff told us we could clean up and change before departure in the spa (due to late flight home and 11AM checkout). There were no towels or face cloths to be had and lots of dirty ones in bags in plain sight. Not what we needed nor expected. On arrival, one of our bags, of course the must have bag, got dropped off by bus driver at other side of the resort. Despite numerous requests and promises on "10 minutes", it was over 4 hours before our bag showed up. Food at the restaurants was great. Our room was a bit tired but comfortable. Staff are amazing - friendly and always offering to do something. Some parts of the resort are being upgraded and look really nice.

• Stayed March 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed 7 days over Christmas break and had a little higher hopes for this place. The resort is an hour and 45 minute (free+tip) shuttle ride from the Montego Bay airport, so keep that in mind when you book that 7am flight back home.

We did the all-inclusive package. The drinks portion of the all-inclusive package was both good and bad. Free-flowing Red Stripe and Diet Coke was all I needed. We didn't drink any of the wine in the room, but it was a decent brand. Realistically, I would expect bottom shelf spirits at an all-inclusive, but I wasn't aware there was a shelf that low. The scotch was aged "36 months." Needless to say, we never opened any of the liquor.

The food was ugly. The reality is, if these restaurants were competing in a city, they wouldn't stay open long. Sadly, the food highlight of our trip was wood-fired grilled pizzas. Pizza? We discovered it after waiting almost 2.5 hours at one of the other restaurants for our meals only to have them be both cold and wrong. The grill was the only place still open at that point. The cook (who was an awesome dude) said we were the 12th couple to come over for pizzas from that restaurant.

The staff was very friendly, but also very slow. We saw this in both the concierge service as well as the wait staff. I understand "island time," and we didn't have any place to be, but my wife and I actually laughed a few times at how bad the service was.

We didn't do any of the excursions offered by the resort although we heard from others that they were cool but overpriced. I guess you can call that typical.

Things I learned from this trip:
Pay closer attention to resort/airport proximity & 3:30 wake up calls are not enjoyable
I need to buy an eReader
I like Red Stripe

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I just returned from a week vacation at Sandals Grande Rivera Beach & Villa Resort and just let me say WOW! I have nothing but awesome things to say about this resort. I went with friends to celebrate my birthday and I'll have to say that it was THE best birthday ever! Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) was so friendly and accommodating. I would like to give a special shout out to Josie, Kemarley, Kareema and Nastassia with the Playmakers for making my birthday and vacation a very fun filled one and one I'll never forget. Also a very heartfelt thank you to Kiyrie for making me and my friends feel like queens for a week. We sincerely appreciate EVERYTHING you did for us during our stay you went above and beyond, thank you. To our suite concierge, Kishon, Tudie, Marva and Kenesha you guys were great! You all really helped to make our vacation a hassle free and enjoyable one. Thank you all for a truly amazing experience, we will certainly be back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MizzTee
New Iberia, Louisiana
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sandals in Ocho Rios for our honeymoon. We stayed at the beginning of March and the weather was beautiful. Originally we stayed on the beach side in a luxury cottage room, but it was not refurbished and was not what we were told to expect at all. I was a little disappointed because it was our honeymoon and I wanted it to be a once in a lifetime experience. The next morning, I went speak to a representative at the front desk and asked if we could upgrade to another room preferrably on the Manor side. We were able to switch to the Manor side and stayed in the Romeo and Juliet suite for an extremely reasonable price. This suite was amazing and exactly what we were looking for to spend the rest of our vacation. The jitney service was really cool too. I thought they were really nice. All of the driver's were extremely personable and helpful. Actually every staff we met on the resort was personable, friendly, and accomodating. The food and dining options were great. Overall we had a once in a lifetime honeymoon. We'll remember it forever and are sooo glad to have booked our stay here.

1 Thank 032011
#9 of 63 in Montego Bay
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#4 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Sandals Ochi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!