New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Pineapple Court Hotel

Pineapple Court Hotel
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“Quiet, Clean and Comfortable!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Pineapple Court Hotel – If you or your family members are looking for a welcoming, off the beaten path small budget friendly hotel, then Pineapple Court in Ocho Rios is the place for you. Ms. Tracey the Manager, Head Concierge Carlene and the staff are happy to greet you and accommodate your every need. Pineapple Court is the type of hotel that caters to the individual traveler or couple that is looking for the freedom to move around locally and is not looking for the all-inclusive atmosphere. Pineapple Court is very clean, has the basic amenities and is willing to accommodate your needs or steer you in the right direction. This hotel caters to the local guests and out of town tourist by offering complimentary continental coffee and breakfast snack upon a morning check in. Safe boxes are located in every room to lock up your valuables. There is a small outside lounge area/swimming pool located in the rear for anyone who may be interested in a cool dip in the pool. Any time I visit Ocho Rios in the future, I plan to re-book at the Pineapple Court. This was my fourth trip to Jamaica and the staff made me feel very welcome!!

Room Tip: A tea kettle in the room would be great!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ButterflySpirit2
Tracey D, Manager at Pineapple Court Hotel, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm happy you had a good time. Thank you also for your recommendation. Slowly but surely we are trying to improve on our product. Therefore the next time you visit you'll be pleased to note that a kettle will be available for you on request. Eventually we hope to have them in all rooms.
Hope to see you soon! Tracey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Passed by the hotel earlier in the week to take a look. Reserved a room with a microwave and fridge. Arrived back a few days later and that room (I assume they have only one room with these amenities) was booked. Was disappointed as we made arrangements to eat in. In any case made the best of it. Decent room, large, not as clean as I would have liked but okay. Good security. Didn't see the pool, but was told it was in working order. Good price and maybe a 20 min walk into town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
Kingston, Saint Andrew, Jamaica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My experience at Pineapple Court is always a great one. I always stay there while in Ochi for business trips or when I just want to get out of Kingston for a night or two. None the less the rooms are always clean, spacious, looks and feels comforting. I'm always happy to get over a long work day and to go home(Pineapple Court) and relax, take a dip in the pool or just watch TV.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

The room was clean. We just had a scary moment at dawn. We were the only guests in the hotel that night. About 3a.m. the seccurity heavly knock our door asking me to leave the room because there was something wrong with my car. It was just an open window and he wanted to help me, I know, but the way that he did it really scaried us!!! It's not the safiest hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Ju H
Tracey D, Manager at Pineapple Court Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I regret your distrubance at that time of the morning by our security guard. I will certainly follow up with them on the more appropriate time to alert guests with security concerns
Edmonton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

(with apologies for the obvious/awful pun, can't help it... and it was)

Anyways, I stayed at the Pineapple for a week in October, and liked it very much... the place is lovely, my room was comfy and clean, and being a little bit out of the way meant it was quiet, too - but certainly close enough to walk anywhere in next to no time.

Manager Tracy Duncan is just as nice - and enormously helpful - and so are her staff. They were friendly and made sure everything was shipshape, answered all sorts of questions, and were generally great people to stay with.

It's also more than reasonably priced... last time I did stay somewhere quite a bit more expensive, but I was just as happy staying at the Pineapple on this trip. I had no problems whatsoever, and would be happy to stay here again or recommend it to others.

Oh, I do have photos... but haven't sorted them out yet... will add later.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ann C
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

As a solo female travel writer who has reviewed a lot of accommodations, I had no complaints about this one. It's a nice and quiet, small hotel that was secure and clean. It is located a short distance away from the bustling town center of Ocho Rios and it's refreshing to be able to walk out onto the street and shop at your leisure, rather than being encountered by all the vendors of Main Street Ochi.
The rooms rates here are well worth it for a clean and comfortable hotel experience. There are tons of places to shop and dine within walking distance. Beaches are a short distance away in either direction (walk or drive) - Ocho Rios public beach or Reggae beach. Unfortunately Mahogany beach switched to private - this is not the hotel's fault!
Management and staff are awesome and friendly, check-in and check out are smooth. I enjoyed my stay very much and have written a full review on my Jamaica travel site.

Room Tip: I toured a couple of different rooms (kings and doubles) and they're all equipped and priced the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JamaicaMyWay
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Checked in on July 31st. Well literally I cried, You need a pair of water boots to cross the Gully leading tot he 6 foot block wall, a pair of hiking boots to get through the forest to get to he beach that we were promised access to... And to make matters worse they have a picture of Mahogany Beach up on their website and if you don’t live in a round Ochio Rios then you are not aware that Mahogany Beach is a private beach and you can only enter the premises if you are a guest at Carib Condominium. The bathroom could not fit your average adult, after one of us showered there was no hot water left for the remaining two adults. You cannot stand in the shower and shave too tiny.. Oh we literally had to ask for toilet paper and no towels for 2 days. Travel with your own... The blanket on the bed that I slept on had blood stain and when I request that they change it, it was not done. We payed $400.00 JMB for a small bar fridge that would not keep anything cold, and when I went down to the bar to ask for ice I was gladly given a 6oz cup and was told that is all I could get. The grounds were not very well maintained. When I left Jamaica on Aug 21st the pool was in the same state as when I arrived. Albeit these are owners from what I gathered were living in the United States, I wonder which part of the United States because you could not have a decrepit place like this and have customer staying there and maintain this low kind of standard even at a bed and breakfast. I would say a Hostel is better and maybe cleaner. And to off is all my friends and I checked out on Sunday August 5th 2012 and the owner refuse to give us back a penny even in good faith even though we were booked to stay untill August 12, 212. So she pocketed 6 days of our hard earned money and am sure she rented the room and that whats I called double dipping. I cautioned anyone don’t be fooled by the professional pictures on this or any other site, because 8 out of 10 times it’s a farce and a bunch of thieves and dishonest people.

Room Tip: Just Don't Stay here
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Ewoman99
Tracey D, Manager at Pineapple Court Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Please aIlow me to express my sincerest regret for your experience with us. I am so very disappointed to read this report. Especially because I am at the hotel everyday and was totally unaware of your discomfort. When you checked out ahead of schedule I was told by that you had an emergency to take care of back home.

Regarding the beach, I am not aware of any bush you had to go through to get to the beach. Mahogany Beach is just down the Main street from us. There must have been something happening when you went there which I have investigated. Apparently they are having problems with other guests and I had no idea that the guests of Pineapple Court were not allowed access. We send all our guests there and no one has ever told us of a problem. Thank you for this report I will look at other beach options.

I would also like to remind you that we did not directly collect any funds from you. All funds were paid by your local counter part and was paid on location while you were here - Not in advance. WE HAVE NOT COLLECTED ANY FUNDS FOR THE DAYS YOU DID NOT STAY. And if we knew you were so unhappy we certainly would have returned it if we had it.

Just a reminder, we have recently reopened the hotel after a lengthy closure and we are still undergoing renovations. Regrettably it is taking a lot longer than we thought but we hope to be complete with renovations very soon.

Once again, I am very sorry to learn about your experience and I am especially sorry that you felt to need to express you unhappiness in this way rather while you were here. Thanks however for bringing this to our attention, we certainly have a few issues to address as we endeavor to offer clean, comfortable accommodation at a reasonable price.

All the best to you.