“Shades of blue”

Hibiscus Lodge Hotel
Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Stayed here many times over the years and several things bring me back. First, and foremost is the view! Yeah, yeah, I hear you.. Every place has a view. Not like this..not even close. So many different shades of blue-green that totally will captivate for hours. Also the pool, restaurant, bar and rooms are perched at cliffs edge, so you are constantly hypnotized. Speaking of rooms, you MUST request #16,17 or 14,15 to really appreciate this place, again, to take full advantage of the view. It is a rather large difference, if you get one of the other rooms. Steve, who has been there for many years will hook you up with anything you need and is quite simply, a good guy.
The breakfast is something you don't want to miss. They have their own bakery on premises and the staff is well trained. You will find yourself just sitting and staring out to Sea, sipping coffee or tea, long after your breakfast is finished.
I have seen a couple of bad, and I believe bogus, reviews of the Hibiscus, and they left me pondering "where did this guy stay"? Again, request the rooms stated previously and you will find this very well could be your new Jamaican home.

• Stayed: January 2012
8  Thank negril66

Reviewed January 4, 2012

I had my wedding at the Hibiscus Lodge on November 27,2011 and the service, food and staff were wonderful. If you are planning on having a wedding at this location I would highly recommend it. If you are making a decision about the location based on the pictures on the website, please don't because the pictures does not do this place justice. To be honest at first when I was told about this place, I was terrified because the pictures really made the place look really run down and gross. But I took the time to travel to Jamaica in June before the wedding and I was greatly surprise by the place.We used one of their rooms and the was really large, clean and it over looked the ocean and the view was wonderful (room 24) . Over all thanks to the hibiscus lodge my wedding day went off without a hitch and I had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank BernieJ_12
Reviewed December 14, 2011

First week of October my friend and I visited Jamacia on business. We went for an over night visit to Ocho Rios. We checked in around 9:00pm took a nap and then went out about 11:30pm to visit the Magaritaville and return at 3:30am. On return we went to straight to sleep only to wake up at 8:00am and found out we lost our camera, sun shades, some gifts, socks, lotions etc. This had to be an inside job cause my friend an i were staying in separate rooms and we both lost stuff and the only time we were out of the room was between the said hours and we did not have any stranger staying with us.
The hotel security checked the rooms for break in but found none, we left our information with the front desk who say they will look into the matter and get back to us, two months later we have not heard from them. In our opition this hotel is a very bad place to stay, you cannot trust any of their employees even the security. The said part is we had many pictures in our cameras from other trips and now its all gone.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
10  Thank hero205
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is my fourth year of staying at the Hibiscus Lodge. It has been a good experience each year. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is central, yet feals remote once you enter. The grounds are imaculate. The resturaunt is both beautiful and restful. The best I saved for last. The people are all so friendly and helpful. I had an issue with my laptop not wanting to pickup the signal from the router. One of the employees worked with my laptop and got the problem resolved in mo time. I will return here the next time I come to Ocho Rios.

Room Tip: I like the rooms on the second floor. They have a great view of the water from your private balcony...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
7  Thank Foxtrot-BandB
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had a lay- over in Ocho Rios and was priveledged to stay at the Hibiscus for a glorious night. The Staff was wonderful, the rest was good and breakfast the next morning was to die for. Thanks to Kwami at the front desk and his staff I would definately return.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the gardens.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Fanni07
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was such a wonderful place away from the (sometimes wonderful) madness of Ocho Rios. I will never forget waking up on our first morning and having my heart skip a beat at the crystal sea view out of our window - it was like being an excited kid again, I couldn't wait to get to the pool! The staff were helpful and organised a private taxi for us to get to port antonio - a life saver as we didn't know the roads had all been ripped up and what should have been a simple journey, was going to take an entire day!

We hope that our lives are mapped to bring us back to Hibiscus Lodge one day and that you'll have just as wonderful a stay as us.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travel_better
Reviewed July 18, 2011

then this is the place for you!
I will start with the cons of this establishment.
Cons:
-Thin walls, could not sleep. There must have been 7 people staying in room next to us on second floor that sounded like they were in our room. Awful.
-Bed bugs biting me everywhere, could not sleep.
-Tiny beds with frames pushed together leaving gap between wife and myself.
- AC unit made room either way too hot or cold. Not kidding.
-No iron/phone in room.
-very slow service for food or anything.
-bartender is worst i've ever experienced in my life. beer was outdated with rust on rim of bottle and impossible to start conversation with lifeless woman behind bar.
-Not safe. Very risky place to leave your stuff behind...doors are not secure and you must take this into consideration before leaving (or entering) room each time.
- If anyone is using pool which they normally are, expect waking up/distraction early and late to their inconsiderate volumes that do not match well with insulation of rooms.
-we had a reservation and woman behind desk asked how many nights we were supposed to be there like she had no idea...i guess we could have said any number and stayed as long as we wanted.
-place has a gate man that will let anyone in no questions asked.
PROS
-The grounds were kept stunning with beautiful views and landscape. The location is on a cliff with really unique layout.
-Pigeon coops and Parrot.
-Food was good. I recommend curry chicken which is not on the menu but they will make on request. (keep very slow service into consideration for schedule, breakfast too)
-Price was cheap but you get what you pay for.
CONCLUSION
If i were to do it all over again, I would have stayed in a safe resort. Paying an extra couple hundred dollars could really make you have a better experience on this beautiful island. I really don't know how all the reviews are so great, they must have employees posting rave reviews.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ricflair