“Awesome Experience”
Review of Coyaba River Garden and Museum - CLOSED

Coyaba River Garden and Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Named after the Arawak word for paradise, these spectacular tropical gardens also offer a museum displaying pre-Columbian artifacts.
Trinidad
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome Experience”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The gardens are absolutely beautiful. There are some simply magnificent and gorgeous spots where a wedding can be hosted. Thinking of having mine there.... The compound also has a mini museum that has some interesting historical facts about the Island. Our tour guide Desmond was really friendly and gave in depth details about the various plants situated in the garden. Definitely don't mind visiting here again!

2 Thank Darcel J

st louis missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A nice surprise”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Well we decided to go here the last day of our vacation. When we pulled up I thought nothing special. We got out of the car and were met by a couple of elderly fellas. We went with one of them to look at the gardens which were really nice. I have seen better but it was nice. Then came the amazing water fall. We started at the top with some pictures. We did not have on our swimsuits as we did not know they had falls there. So we did not get to swim but I would definitely recommend this. Wear your swimsuits!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank moriverman
Burlington, Vermont
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Ultimate Coyaba Challenge (too much for me)”
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We visited the Coyaba gardens as part of the Island Routes "Ultimate Coyaba Challenge" off-site tour from Beaches Ochos Rios.

Bike, tour, waterfalls. Our outing was in the morning.

The first thing was that our guide was based out of a blacked our car, with his 'manager' staying in the car. For the Waterfall part, if you don't want your stuff to get wet, you have to leave it in the car. This felt REALLY sketchy. There are stairs, so you can avoid it and get good pictures.

Do not even consider the bike unless you are in much better shape. The ride is mostly uphill on bikes that need maintenance. I had read that a 6 year old had done this. I call fake on that. This was hard for even the 20-somethings with us. I ended up walking and even that was difficult after the riding.

And wearing sweaty elbow and knee pads suck. I would have signed away whatever I needed to to get out of wearing them.

The falls are entirely in the sun. Photographing them lacks some character as a result (IMHO). The gardens were nice, but by this point, if you've taken other tours, you've smelled all the items.)

Our guide was very soft spoken. Very hard to hear. Knew his stuff, but so hard to hear.

The museum, was small, but it had some of the only information on Ochos Rios history ancient history that we had heard. Museums may not be your thing on a trip, but my girlfriend and I are different. This was the best we encountered in that respect.

You wind up back in the parking lot, post bike ride. You then walk the gardens, and finally the waterfall. It would have been nice if there had been a stop at the snack bar.

It was too much physically for me in the form we took it. It wore me out for the entire rest of the day (our last). Skip the bike ride if you can, or if you aren't in amazing shape.

New Lenox, IL
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Save your time and money”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

It wasn't "bad" - it's just not what they play it up to be. The museum is smaller than my basement, and I think my basement has more relevant collectibles. :) And to the staff, I understand that your guides may have dental problems, but could they at least bath once a week? This is a very short tour of some nice small gardens, but c'mon, could you clean up the place a little? There was a pile of dog "you know what", that our group had to dodge on the tour.

1 Thank Bob_B_NewLenox_IL
Gatineau, Canada
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“So much beauty!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We really enjoyed the beauty of all these flowers & trees, too many to remember the names but I did take some notes. The view of at the top was amazing! Our guide took the time to answer our questions but we were rushed to go around, limiting us to picture taking. I also enjoyed the small museum with the artifacts of what it was like centuries ago, very educational. Though you pay for this tour through your hotel agent, the guide asks for a donation.

Visited December 2013