“Welcome Home to Jamaica Inn--Simply The Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“Welcome Home to Jamaica Inn--Simply The Best!”
Reviewed June 4, 2005

My wife & I spent another glorious week at Jamaica Inn...our 4th in the last 2 years. There is a reason we come back. Actually, several reasons. First off, the staff is incredible. They treat you like family. They made us feel this way the first time we came and it has only gotten better. It is an experience like no other. We have been at many resorts throughout the Caribbean and this place is simply...special. Secondly, the dinners are the most romantic you will have anywhere, period. Yes, they are outdoors...which adds to the romance if you ask me. If you are looking for a bug-free, humiduty-free air conditioned environment, stay home and go to your corner bistro. Guess what? This is the Carribbean! The rooms are as well kept as any in the region (including the Ritz in Montego Bay...we've been there). It is true that there are no screens on the windows, but we never found it to be a problem.

The Management team is not only accessible, but is also extremely rececptive. They will turn on a dime to make sure that evey guest has a memorable experience. They care, and it's obvious that they do. The beach is the best...as good as you will see anywhere. Private, white sands, clear water, no solicitors, etc. As I said, we've been to many of the best resorts in the area, and we keep coming back to Jamaica Inn. It is a great value for the money and an experience that you will not soon forget. Lest you think that we are somehow biased, every time we go, we meet people that have been coming for years, and have even struck friendships with return guests we have met on our past visits. We are not alone.

The night life is elegant and romantic. It is NOT like a big all-inclusive resort (thank GOD!).

If you want a magical experience that you will dream about until you can return, this is the place.

• Stayed May 2005
19 Thank AndreaDallas_TX

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
Michigan
Reviewed May 31, 2005

We spent a week in late May and have very mixed feelings about the Inn. On one hand it is very relaxing (with vitually nothing to do but enjoy the beach, read and dine), with wonderfu verandahs that we have experienced nowhere else, but the rooms were tired, and the fact that there were no screens on the windows was really unacceptable.

We experienced rain and very humid and hot days. The bugs came out in the early evening and the only way to keep them at bay was to close all windows, turn on the fans and of course, keep the air conditioning on high.

With temps in the 90's, high humidity and some rain, requiring men to wear long pants at dinner outside was very upsetting. Each evening when we returned to our room, my husband was soaked clean through with perspiration.

I agree with others on this site that the staff is great, but management seems to be "available" but insincere in their attempts at meeting our needs or wants. I think they have attempted to keep the traditions of JI, but have chosen to keep their money in their pockets. The entire place needs a solid capital investment.

We enjoyed our time at the Inn because it was very relaxing, the food was outstanding, the service exceptional. However, we will never return because of the ride to and from the resort, the tired rooms and lack of screens and air conditioned dining and the lack of interest by management in upgrading a resort in desperate need of improvement.

• Stayed May 2005
30 Thank shooshoo
Memphis Tennessee
Reviewed May 13, 2005

In an age of high expectations that are sometimes unattainable it's nice to know of places like the Jamaica Inn. From the moment that you drive in the gate time slows down and cool sea breezes lift your spirits. Warm smiles greet you and great service awaits you. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at Jamaica Inn and our only regrets were that we could not stay longer. Although the inn is older than most on Jamaica it is still quite comfortable and exceptionally clean for open air rooms (air-conditioning is available in each room) and dining areas. The management and staff were very helpful and cordial. Inspite of what other writers to "Trip Advisor" may have written the Jamaica Inn is constantly updating their buildings, their service and their menus. The food was world class in flavor and presentation. The beach is one of if not the finest on the island and where we spent most of our time regaling in the shade, sand, and surf. The snorkleing was probably our favorite outdoor activity although the croquet with guidance from Rupert from the beach bar was a lot of fun as well. Jamaica Inn? Ya mon, no problem!

P.S. Georgia who also worked from the bar was our favorite.

16 Thank Patientman777
Europe
Reviewed April 30, 2005

we based our choice to stay at the Jamaica Inn largely on reading the reviews in Trip Advisor and we were not dissapointed or surprised as we knew what to expect from reading the reviews. Everything is true from the wonderful beach to the excellent service but as other recent reviews have stated the rooms need some attention and there are extra charges creeping in that didn't used to be there such as five US dollars surcharge for breakfast in your room. Just a few tips that might help you make the most of your stay at Jamaica Inn.

Choose a premier suite- room numbers 16 thru 20. These are right on the sea and the fish love being fed in the mornings especially with toast.

Take a trip to the Dunns River Falls from the hotel and ask on the beach for Tony the boatman. It costs 25 US dollars per person but is worth it.

Make use of the complimentary coffee/tea for early risers from 6.00am to 9.00am

If you eat at the hotel (6course menu every evening) make sure you state that you want each course otherwise you don't get it but still pay for it.
The food is excellent because the chef trained at a leading London hotel.

Make sure to be on the beach by 11.00am to enjoy the complimentary Planter's rum punch.

Attend the BBQ evening on the beach- great atmosphere!

As stated in other reviews, the staff make the hotel what it is. Our thanks to Mary (the manager) for personal welcome and departure and from the restaurant Donald (with the amazing memory for orders and room numbers) and Carter the trainee waiter whose smile make ladies hearts melt!!!

41 Thank melita1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2005

Just returned from 5 nights at the Jamaica Inn. I think there are pluses and minues, but overall the Inn is beatiful and very relaxing.

Positives: Amazing beach, all the rooms have huge verandahs with stunning views. We stayed in the cheapest room, and would not have spent the money to upgrade b/c the best part about the rooms are the views and balconies and ours was big enough to fit a couch, fluffy chair, desk and table for two. Every view from the hotel was amazing. Every meal overlooked the beach and ocean. Beach was very private and well cared for as were all the grounds. Staff is friendly and attentive. Breakfast and lunch food were delicious.

Negative: We went the end of April so payed half of what you would in high season which is two weeks before hand. I would not pay fulll price and here are the reasons. High season for the cheapest rooms is like those of a Four Seasons, so I tend to think it should be closer to those standards. The bath amenities are not good. We wouldn't even use the lotion or bodywash. The small gym room is old and dirty. There are 3 old machines, one doesn't work. When I went to work out, there was a pile of dirty towels in the corner w/ no fresh ones and no water left.
The rooms are just average. It's the balconies that make them.
They are comfortable and I didn't need a tv, but I think they should at least have CD's players and coffee makers.

We didn't have all inclusive and figured by the end, we saved money by just paying as we went. However, we did feel we were getting gouged from time to time. We ate a lot of meals at the resort. There were prices on the breakfast and lunch menus, but not on the dinner menu so we had no idea how much anything was. Plus, we never saw a bill. Only totals on our last day. Our breakfast bills were so high when all we did was have eggs. I didn't bother to see the breakdown b/c it wasn't worth our trouble, but I think bills should require a signature from the person actually paying them!
Dinner food was average. Not bad, but not great. You paid for the atmosphere. (although the beach bbq was delicious)
Also, all we did was want a cup of coffee from the bar at 6pm. We had to get it from room service at the cost of $11+.
Cabs were a mystery to us. We went to dinner twice. One driver said $25. We gave him $35 b/c we didn't know the etiquette on tipping which he gladly accepted. The next night the driver said $20 and when we tipped him $5 he was shocked. Apparently the tips are included and it would have been nice for the first driver to tell us that. (the front desk should make it clear to the guests). In the rooms, it costs $2.50 for a bottle of water. I think bottled water should be free at such a nice resort.

We had the couples moonlit massage which was wonderful, but the spa needs to be upgrated in general. they make you change into your robes in a tiny bathroom...no locker rooms, etc. The manicure/pedicure prices are way too high, but a very nice nice experience.

In a nutshell, beautiful, romantic, private and relaxing. To get the prices they want, they need to approve on the amenities and extras and stop nickeling and diming. I do recommend the resort, but not in high season. I think with a few easy changes, this will be a first rate resort.

25 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 25, 2005

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Jamaica Inn and could not have been happier. I had very high expectations which were exceeded the moment we arrived. Everything was breathtakingly beautiful: the grounds, the beach, the dining area, our room, etc. We stayed in one of the premier verandah rooms that have a private balcony right on the sea. At night you hear the water lapping up against the verandah, and in the morning you can watch the fish swim while you're eating breakfast. It's absolutely amazing. The service was exquisite; everyone was very friendly without being overly chatty. (We highly recommend breakfast on your verandah.)

We are both in our late 20s and had no problem with the Inn's quiet ambience--this was exactly what we wanted. When we took a boat tour of the surrounding area, we were surprised to see how small and crowded the other resorts' beaches were. Our beach at the Jamaica Inn was much bigger, and there was also plenty of space between sunbathers--very private and relaxing. The food was great; one night they brought all the tables down to the beach and served us under the stars. Amazing. If you want a spring break-type vacation, with lots of noise, crowds, and partying, this is not for you. But if you want old-school elegance, complete luxury, and quietness, come to the Jamaica Inn. It doesn't get any better than this.

• Stayed August 2004
16 Thank capecodgirl
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2005

I have stayed at Jamaica Inn several times over the past 2 years. All in all it is one of my favorite places mostly due to the spectacular beach, however on each visit it is my impression that this hotel is losing its luster and class. On our first trip to Jamaica Inn, we were told that a Jamaica Inn tradition is breakfast on your balcony...well it is great, but now comes with a charge, for a hotel of this price, one would not expect to see room service charges for anything. Also, on that note while prices have gone up somewhere around 25% over the past 2 years, the quality of the rooms have declined and need some serious attention, floors, painting, bathrooms need updating. Also, the toiletries in your room are just plain awful, I forgot to bring shampoo and I used the one provided and it stripped my hair of all moisture, ditto for the body wash, just awful stuff, not indicative of what would be expected. Normally, I could overlook these minor issues because the beach is so fabulous, but when you are paying top dollar you expect better. One last note on prices, the spa is so overpriced that I have stopped going. The services are mediocre and inconsistent. The prices are more than you would pay in New York City. The spa is lovely, but needs better management. Quality of service and products is minimal and disappointing.

If you can overlook paying top $ for a basic room and food, the beach is totally worth it. I have lived and traveled all over the world and Jamaica Inn is blessed with a really great beach. Also, the staff are really worth going for, not the management, but the people working there who bring an extra special touch to Jamaica Inn, not found at larger resorts.

To sum up, on my first visit, I thought I found the place I would visit over and over, after my recent visit, I have decided to start checking out other properties. Really too bad, because you can witness the decline and it is a bit sad. While these may seem to be very minor things, they detract from the overall experience and leave you with a sense of being nickle and dimed.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!