“Lovely, but very quiet!”
Review of Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We returned from JI ten days ago having had a two stay visit to Jamaica for a family reunion and then my husband and I spent four nights at JI to relax! Having come from Beaches Negril, it was a bit of a case of 'from one extreme to the other' and the peace and quiet was a bit of a shock to the system at first, though this is not a negative! We wish we'd done the trip in reverse, having four days relaxation before the family get together!

The positives: JI is a beautiful location and appears to be on the best beach in Ocho, and the hotel and its grounds are beautiful. The rooms, we stayed in a beachfront premium verandah suite, are lovely although we did find the shower temperature a little erratic (admittedly we didn't report this as we were only there for a short stay). Being able to sit out on the verandah and chill was great. We could not fault the food and drinks. We did use the AI option and i am sure it was worth it. The service was faultless, with all members of staff taking the time to chat without being intrusive. We loved Patrice! It was also great to see that so many had been there a long time, up to 55 years! Longer than we've been alive!! We also had a great trip out by boat from the beach to Dunns River Falls with Marvin. fabulous! He suggested we get there for 9 so as to beat the masses! We were first up to the top with another couple and when we returned to the beach there were hoards of tourists! Thanks!

The negatives: the one thing we wished could have been available was tea and coffee making facilities in the room/on the verandah. My ideal would have been to have a coffee on the verandah in the morning with my husband, listening to the sea. Shame. Having just read another reviewers comment about a leaving gift not being received, I think we were in the same boat! On checkout, there was mention of a candle to the manager who disappeared and returned with a new brochure?? I didn't comment at the time, but on reflection we are probably in the same position as the other reviewer....consistency!

All in all it was a very good stay, once we had relaxed. As it says in the brochure, 'the rooms opened up. After a while, so did we' very true! We will remember it for the wonderful location and fabulous and friendly service.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mandyzx6

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Jamaica Inn for 10 days (June - July 2013). We chose the Blue Cottage after seeing the photos and how close it was to the beach, we simply had to have it. The room was simple but spacious and well decorated. The moment you open the door you are only a few steps away from the burgundy colored beach.

We loved the privacy that the hotel offers. From the moment you arrive they treat you like family. On our first day, we met Kyle Mais (GM) and Eric Morrow (owner) which were very welcoming. Eric told us a little about the history of the hotel, which has been in his family for 50 years. When he talks about Jamaica Inn you can tell he loves this place and it definitely shows. There have been new villas added to the resort and new renovations but we loved the history behind it all and the fact that it looks almost the same as it did 50 years ago. In addition, the beach staff, (Rupert & Teddy) were very friendly and made us our favorite drink (fresh ginger mojito) every day. We loved having lunch at our veranda and the fact that the dinner menu changes daily gives you a wide variety of things to try. By the way, you can also request your favorite dishes and they will do their best to make it that same day or the next day.

You must make time to go to the spa. We had three massages in 10 days and it was wonderful. Sasha greeted us and showed us around the spa and Caroline did my massages. Do not pass on the ginger tea!

We will return again very soon and this time we want to try Cottage 3 or White Suite (my favorite).

We can’t wait to stay again at your lovely hotel Eric! See you soon Kyle

Antonio and Mariem Garcia

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mariem G
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have been to Jamaica before and was so surprised when I opened the Veranda Suite's door. The view was spectacular.What ambiance! But what first impressed me was the staff. From the General Manager, who came out to greet me graciously with the most infectious smile and warmth upon arrival and some of the most wonderful and professionally efficient front desk staff I've ever met; and I've traveled around the world.
I absolutely loved the Premier Veranda Suite, only steps from the seashore. And the view of the Caribbean was breathtaking. I loved those sunsets. And the beach staff was the best. Whether I was sailing, paddle boarding, fishing, swimming or just laying on one of the beach chairs sunning after a walk to the beach bar, it was awesome. Loved the afternoon tea, the Tuesday social and nightly reggae sounds, listening to the band play.
And the cuisine was awesome. Delivered right to your veranda and set up with a smile for breakfast lunch or dinner. I sincerely loved the serenity and cleanliness of property. Also, it's quite beautiful and the landscaping is pristine to add.
There's so many kind things that I could say about this hotel and everyone who works there, but the one thing that I assure is that I've told all of my friends about this slice of paradise and I will be back very soon to celebrate my birthday. Look forward to seeing all of you. And I will be bearing gifts from my hometown because you have made this vacation a week that will never be forgotten. Great memories. Thank you for an excellent stay in "Ochi"!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Jamahome125
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The villa’s on the property have great view, privacy and the romantic feel you would ever dreamed of...little private pool, trendy white rooms with comfy furniture. Service in this hotel is really outstanding. Many of the staff work there for years (like 20, 30..) And the beach is the best in Jamaica - long, sandy and no waves.

Room Tip: all the rooms are facing the sea
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Veronika Z
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I came by this hotel via a relative's timeshare. Although I thought the property was beautiful, I was not overly impressed with this hotel; I found it a bit stuffy.
We stayed in a cottage, and I loved the privacy, I kept remarking how lucky we were to not be in one of the verandah suites as they seemed so SMALL.
We arrived later in the day and after traveling from the states we brought along food to make for dinner that night, however, our stove did not work. The maid tried to get it to work, then she sent the maintenance guy who worked on it 20 minutes, professed it fixed and left. After about 20 minutes of water on the stove not even getting hot he returned to the suite and worked on it again another 15 minutes - it's 9:30pm at this time. Finally managemnet sent someone to pick up our box of mac and cheese and make it for us - really, how about a meal for the inconvenience - this is a 5-Star hotel!
I also don't understand the lack of an available shuttle car - the town is 1.8 miles away, you can't offer your guests a ride to the grocery store - it cost me $24 to make the trip to get groceries, I could understand charging for a tour, but really NO ride to an area so close?
I would also offer another suggestion, how about some music on the beach - doesn't have to be anything loud, just even some local reggae, SOMETHING!
I also did not care for the beach tender - whatever his name was, he was very rude. I wish I had remembered his name. We tried to sit in a set of beach chairs that obviously were intended for someone else, even though there was nothing marking the spot - he came and shooed us away, wiped their chairs down and placed fresh towels on their chairs, all while we moved to the seats next to them and dried and set-up our own chairs even though the guests he was fretting over weren't even THERE!
Loved the free drink between 11and 12, however, to go back and get a second Plantar's Punch would've cost me $13.95US-WOW, for an average sized drink.
I also felt a little slighted by one of the owners. As I was checking out, so was another couple. He made sure to present them with a small box as a token to remember their stay, however, I did not get anything. Maybe this should have been done in private instead of in front of another guest if the intention was not to provide this to ALL guests. You need to always remember others see and hear what you are doing - think about this...
I intend to pass this information on to my brother who owns the timeshare -

Room Tip: The cottages are the way to go with this hotel
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
13  Thank Traci V
JamaicaInn, General Manager at Jamaica Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for choosing Jamaica Inn for your recent vacation and also for your review. We are so pleased you found our property beautiful and private. It is this quiet, relaxing feel that so many of our guests enjoy. Thank you also for giving feedback on the aspects you didn’t enjoy. From the top down we do strive very hard to ensure all our guests feel as welcome and comfortable as possible. Should we fail, the matter is not taken lightly, and as such we wish you had mentioned your beach experience to us. This is far from the norm here and we apologize on behalf of the entire Jamaica Inn Family.
We are also so sorry that you had difficulty with your stove. Our maintenance personnel had reported that on the night you had raised the concern, he had checked the stove and found it be working and also showed you how to operate same. We were all surprised to learn the next day that you were still having challenges so our Chef offered to demonstrate the operation and assist you personally. Apparently the controls on this unit were not standard and so we have since changed them making it easier to use and less confusing.
Regarding our special Anna Bella Boxes, Mr Morrow sends his regards and personally apologizes as he did infact run out on the day in question. It would also be our pleasure to send you one as we have just replenished our supply.
Again thank you and your comments are greatly appreciated. We are still hopeful we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Best wishes,
Kyle Mais

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Ocho Rios boasts the best hotel in all of Jamaica. The Jamaica Inn exemplifies everything that a small, secluded hotel provides and that a large, resort hotel should aspire to. They are a model of service and convenience.

Although Mary no longer runs the show, new GM Kyle shakes your free hand, since the other will likely grip an introductory rum punch, the moment you check in with a welcome smile, exactly like Mary and her two Cocker Spaniels would. From that moment on, every one of your needs are catered to by each and every member of the staff, big ups to Sherlene.

After you drop off your bags and throw on your swimsuit, make your way to the beach bar. You will find Teddy, an institution at the Inn, humming away island tunes while blending a Dirty Banana. Ask him to belt a line or two of “Lady In Red,” and enjoy. Rupert roams the grounds, ensuring everyone is irie with drinks, amidst routinely beasting guests by “running the hoop” on the croquet court.

The beach is private and gorgeous. The waters stay warm enough for a dip 24-7. Remember to hang your room service order on the doorknob and ease into the day with breakfast on your veranda in the cool, salty breeze. The delightful dinner menu rotates, so try the mushroom risotto when you see it. Bellissimo! Don’t forget to top it all off with some rum raisin ice cream in a hammock at sunset. Be prepared to stare at a calendar as you depart for the very next time you can come back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jonathancha
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Loved The Jamaica Inn. We took a car from the airport, 'twas a wild ride so we were not sure what we had signed up for... but arriving at the Inn is like walking into the Garden of Eden. Eric the owner and Kyle the GM are very helpful and welcoming, rum punch greeted us. The food was great, loved the goat curry, fish dishes and banana pancakes. My son caught a tuna and the chef cooked it up for us, it was delicious. All of the employees are wonderful and kind. We drank the ice water from the pitcher they leave in your room and it was perfectly fine. We had gin so we purchased limes and tonic at the grocery spot just before the Inn. Very safe and peaceful. Not the spot for you if you want crazy loud activity. We loved playing croquet, visiting with other guests and reading on the beach. Our family of 4 had a fabulous time. If I had one con it would be that we needed ceiling fans on the verandahs. It got quite warm when there was no breeze. We had 2 second floor rooms. The rooms are lovely and beautifully appointed. We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!