“Hurricane Sandy Couldn't Slow Them Down... Love This Place”
Review of Jamaica Inn

Jamaica Inn
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

After passing Sandy on the way down to Jamaica, we arrived at J.I. to the same great services and smiling faces as usual. They are a true team, effectively working together to ensure their guests are provided the same high level of service, hurricane or not. Same amazing services, great food and people. This place is top-notch. Dedication to services, but not stuffy.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, beach and water overlook rooms are our favorite.
2  Thank KDGS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,334)

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Jamaica Inn is my favourite hotel in Jamaica and the Caribbean bar none.

It has been a successful hotel for years and years, and other hotels around clammer to find out "what is the secret of the success there?"

Well the secret is - a beautiful location with a wow of a beach, large and spacious rooms that are tastefully decorated and kept up, staff trained in a highly unobtrusive manner (which you will only find at TOP hotels around the world....if you see staff and management "chatting up to guests too much, be warned, this is not a top notch hotel!!), excellent, award winning gourmet food, a delectable afternoon tea (famous), old world glamour, etc. etc.

I believe it is perfect for a honeymoon, family vacation, anniversary or just weekend with your loved one.

The kudos are owed to the past GM who had the most eagle eye around, and the current GM, Mary - who ensures she is there 24/7 and has given her life to the hotel - as well as the owners, Eric and Belinda Morrow who also have great taste.

Don't hesitate to think about "where to stay in Ocho Rios or Jamaica" if you are looking for an outstanding experience all around.

Room Tip: Rooms at end of beach are lovely, but also try the newly renovated villas too!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JMP1992
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This last trip to Jamaica was my tenth trip in 7 years. I have stayed all over the island in a variety of resorts and hotels. Without question the Jamaica Inn is the best hotel on the island. I have stayed in several other resorts for couples with my wife, but I needed a hotel for myself and a business associate which was not all inclusive.
This is the hotel in Jamaica which has the best indoor air quality, bar none. The Jamaica Inn is proof positive that you can run a hotel in the Caribbean and not have mold issues in the rooms. . If you have allergies to mold this is the hotel for you.
The location is beautiful and it is old world luxury and style. I did not realize there were no TV’s or radio, but it was wonderful not being connected. I was in Jamaica for eleven days on business and the only time I was totally relaxed was at the Jamaica Inn.
I like to snorkel and since this is a smaller property the reefs around the resort off the beach were in better shape than most of the other resorts on the island. The beach is wonderful.
The staff has been employed at the facility for 20, 30, 40 and even over 50 years which proves they treat their people right. The staff was wonderful. This is how hotels used to be run in the Caribbean.
I will be back with my wife and the Jamaica Inn will be my number one choice for when I am staying in Jamaica on the North Coast.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank Dr Gary B
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We were guests at the Jamaica Inn this past week when Hurricane Sandy touched down in Jamaica. We were housed in one of their exclusive luxury cottages/villas for 1 week - paid in advance. We had been there one and a half days when we were told they were moving us to the main building for a night because of the tropical storm expected. There were 3 of us in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom villa and we asked for 2 rooms together and were told 'no'. Then we asked that an elderly relative not be put on the second floor, she was anyway. Her room flooded, she was then put on a portable bed in our room, no other choice was offered they just moved her in, very tight quarters. She was then moved again the next day -back upstairs; 4 moves in all in a few days. The hurricane hit hard and electricity was out for many days so we were not able to move back to the villa, understandable.... We were not really told that until we asked two days later, we were not told anything unless we asked. We were offered food but not told it was off their very pricey menu, they told us not to worry because they had plenty of food and would provide meals in our room until the restaurant was again open so they would call and say "what would you like for dinner tonight " and give us 3-4 choices, suggesting they were providing meals for us. When we checked out we discovered we were billed for everything and there was absolutely no compensation for anything. We were told " Sorry for the inconvenience" By the manager. Sandals Resort guests were given free return stays equal to what they had booked. One week stay got a return one week stay. The Jamaica Inn was very good at their property clean up and returning the general areas in order to provide service but our accommodations were inferior to what was booked and paid for and we did not receive any refund or compensation, rather we were forced to pay high prices for food and did not receive rooms equal to what we were booked into. There were other oversights too numerous to mention. The staff was very nice and worked hard, the management did not step up. I expected much better from this property that is rated so high on Trip Advisor. They did not really care about our experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank FSMWNY
JamaicaInn, General Manager at Jamaica Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear FSMWNY,

Hurricane Sandy was a serious weather event that quickly impacted Jamaica. During events such as that, guest safety is our utmost concern and therefore, all guests were relocated to the main building during the storm. Due to power outages, downed trees and some minor damage, some guests could not return to their original accommodation after the storm. However, guests were only charged for the room category that they stayed in and were not charged the night of the storm.

All of our staff gave 110% to ensure guest safety and satisfaction, leaving their own families at home. They worked tirelessly to quickly return our property to full working order for guests to enjoy in the duration of their stay. I am sorry that the storm impacted your vacation and that you felt you were not treated with more care and attention. The management team and myself spoke to every guest at the resort and wish you had voiced your concerns during your stay to allow us the opportunity to correct any concerns.

Best regards,
Mary Phillips

Reviewed October 28, 2012

If you're looking for a hotel where you'll be treated like family and not just guests, look no further than the Jamaica Inn.

The Inn sits in stark contrast to the big all-inclusives in the Ocho Rios area. Individualized attention, sharp attention to detail, impeccable service and a commitment to serve local food are just some of the many reasons to vacation here.

We were treated like royalty our entire stay. Just a few "treats" we received included champagne our first day to celebrate our anniversary and my birthday, a surprise birthday cake and serenade, and fresh flowers in our room every day. The staff and amazing general manager, Mary, made us feel like we were part of their family, and made our trip, our anniversary and my birthday experiences that we will never forget. I believe Mary explained the appeal of Jamaica Inn best -- "I don't run a hotel, I run a home."

Please go to the Jamaica Inn, you will not be disappointed.

4  Thank TarheelFoodies
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were looking for somewhere to go for our babymoon (wife is in her second trimester) and Jamaica fit the bill. Ironically, there aren't *that* many direct flights to the Caribbean from NYC ad we didn't want to hop around that much. So we flew direct to Montego Bay and the hotel arranged for a private car for the 1.5hr (smooth) ride to the Jamaica Inn. The hotel was absolutely as advertised (and I mean that in a good way). All rooms face the ocean and we ended up in one of the suites on the west side of the hotel (room 19 to be exact). Our favorite part about the room and possibly one of our favorite parts of the entire hotel was our (large) terrace that practically hung over the water and gave us a view of the ocean and the coastline. We spent a fair amount of time just laying around on the couches on the terrace and relaxing. When we weren't doing that, we were on the private/very quiet beach (which was literally footsteps away from our room and really any room), in the water (which was cool to warm, clear, and very calm), or snorkeling nearby. The food was good (nothing outstanding about it, but not bad by any stretch) as were the drinks (though the drinks ended up crazy expensive - and we're from NYC!) It really was exactly what we were looking for.

Room Tip: The suites on the west side of the hotel overlook the water and have great views.
4  Thank dslevy
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I cannot begin to tell you how amazing our trip was to the Jamaica Inn... I have traveled to numerous destinations in the Carribean - and spent the last two years vacationing in Cabo - which is also lovely - but... the Jamaica Inn surpassed my expectations in every way possible! This was our first trip to Jamaica - and we did choose Jamaica Inn based on the information and reviews that we read on this site - and there is a reason so many people review so highly and return year after year! The "old school" luxury is "pure magic" - the beautiful rooms - the large verandas and the views are amazing! My husband and I agree that we have never felt so much relaxation on a vacation! The lack of TVs- radios etc. is a nice absence - that you will not miss- coupled with the most amazing "family" like service you will ever experience. I adore the entire staff - Rupert was amazing - Shirlene was beyond fabulous - Teddy the bartender a delight! The fishing guys - Tony and Marvin - great! Christian the beach guy was adorable - Peter one of the owners was staying during our visit - and he too was wonderful - Shanae and Kingsley - so kind and helpful - I could go on and on - because everyone at this resort is amazing! Also - the food is delicious - dinner under the stars each night - and meals on our beautiful verandah - simply heaven! Even if it rains while you are here - the down time on your verandah reading and relaxing is a vacation treat! This Inn is not for everyone - if you like activities - shows - glitzy rooms - loud music- etc. you will not be happy - The Jamaica Inn is for pure relaxation - getting away from it all! Our trip was cut short by tropical storm/hurricane Sandy - however, it was all worth it and we are planning our return for May 2013! I will return to the Jamaica Inn at a minimum of once a year for as long as possible!

Room Tip: Splurge on the verandah rooms - b/c the luxurious sofa and chairs on the huge verandah is ideal for...
4  Thank MDowda
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Couples Sans Souci
Couples Sans Souci
#3 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!