“Rest & Relaxation”

GreenLeadersSilver level
The Berkshires
“Rest & Relaxation”
Reviewed December 26, 2007

When we escaped the freezing rain and snow of the Northeast, after a full day of airport headaches, The Jamaica Inn turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. Although we arrived hours later than scheduled due to the storm, our driver Brian was still waiting for us in Montego Bay. “No Problem”, he said with a smile, and that theme carried through our whole trip. With a cold beverage in hand, we made record time to the Inn, where we were greeted like we had been there many times before, although this was our first visit. They had even provided us with a sandwich platter since we had arrived after dining hours. We had chosen a ground floor veranda suite, which incidentally was just remodeled and updated, and we couldn’t have been more comfortable. The high ceilings and shuttered French doors leading to the veranda made for a very spacious feel. The only thing the room was short on was drawers for clothing storage, but there were ample hangars and rod space. The veranda was quite large, and was the ideal place for coffee in the morning, and reading in the late afternoon. The plantings off the veranda allowed for some privacy, but also afforded us a wonderful view of the beach and Sea. Our favorite memories of the Inn all revolve around the wonderful staff. They were very attentive, and couldn’t have been a nicer bunch of folks. We chose not to be on the all-inclusive plan, as we liked to wander around town on several occasions, and that worked very well for us. For those that enjoy three meals a day while on vacation, you might want to consider the all-inclusive plan. The Inn offers room or veranda service as well as in the dining areas, so your meals can be as private or sociable as you like. There’s a nice workout room, with an up-to-date elliptical trainer, a cycle and treadmill, and free weights that we tried to hit daily so there’d be less guilt about the first rum cooler as the beach bar opened. The beach was very well kept, and the warm sea water and soft sand was very inviting for swimming and snorkeling. Most people hit the beach by day, and then transformed into casual elegant for dinner time. During our stay the Inn offered a beach barbeque, which transformed the beach into a wonderful candlelit banquet. All of the extra hard work put forth by Mary, the manager, and by the staff, made it a truly a memorable evening. For those looking to step back briefly from the hustle and bustle of life, and truly relax in a peaceful tropical paradise, I highly recommend The Jamaica Inn.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Distance from the airport - helicopter shuttles would be handy.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MassMissMex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed December 18, 2007

I learned about The Jamaica Inn at Luxury Link. I was intrigued by the property description and checked out the reviews on TA. I had a hard time deciding between Royal Plantation and The Jamaica Inn and eventually I chose TJI. I was looking for a child free oasis with a beautiful beach, good rum, decent wine, excellent service and fine dining. I was not disappointed and I believe I made the right choice. What I was after was some much needed R&R, not a chaotic adventure scene. If the latter is what you're looking for, TJI is not for you.

This was our first visit to Jamaica. Reports of crime there had led us to other destinations in the Caribbean. Brian from the Inn picked us up at the airport and whisked us to Ocho Rios. Though the hotel will tell you the ride takes two hours, Brian had us there in an hour and a half and did a fabulous job of pointing out the sights along the way. We sat back with a Red Stripe and quickly saw that Jamaica is indeed a very beautiful island. Incidentally, unless your package includes transportation, the ride from the airport to the inn runs $115 plus tip each way.

The Inn describes their suites as "oversized antique-filled rooms". I would advise not to expect that. I booked a Superior Balcony Suite and the king size bed took up most of the room. The furniture was more akin to shabby chic.There was a small closet off the bedroom with a safe. The bathroom was adequately sized but awkward because when the door was opened into the room, it bumped against the toilet and cut off access to the single sink. Tub and shower combination.The balcony did have a lovely view but was just 6 feet wide, a bit tight for two persons. It had a small loveseat but needed one more comfortable chair. We initially likened our suite to an oversized cruise ship cabin, but I will say that we soon got over it.

Everything about TJI is about being outdoors, all of the time, so plan your stay for a time of year that merits being in the elements. Out of curiosity I did look into many of the rooms. It appears that the bedrooms are almost all the same size unless you book one of the larger and more expensive suites. The difference lies in the size of the balcony, or veranda. The ground floor rooms have verandas that are larger than the upstairs rooms which have balconies. There is however, less privacy on those downstairs verandas because people walking by are looking right at you. The beach wing is a one story wing that offers rooms right on the beach with huge verandas. But people we met who stayed there also complained about the lack of privacy. There is one bonus to the rooms in the beach wing. Many of the rooms there have a door on the veranda that can be opened to the veranda of the next room. If you are traveling with friends and wanted to be able to go back and forth via the verandah, the beach wing is the ticket.

The hotel property is simply in a superb setting. The main part of the inn is a u shaped series of two story buildings colored a brilliant Wedgewood blue trimmed with white. Most of the rooms and the bar and dining areas look out over a beautifully kept lawn and garden area dotted with palm trees and tropical flowering shrubs. There is a small oval shaped pool and beyond that a crescent shaped slip of sand anchored by a small beach bar.

I had originally booked the full board plan of three meals a day. On check in, we decided to upgrade our package to the all inclusive plan, to include our drinks. The wines by the glass suited us just fine and it was more relaxing not to have to worry about a surprisingly large bar bill at the end of the week. I noted that if you are not on the all inclusive plan, an automatic 15% tip is added to all bar bills. We arrived at the open air veranda for drinks around seven thirty. All of the tables in the outdoor bar area were lit with candles and the transformation from daytime casual to evening elegant was pretty impressive.

Dinner is served nightly from around eight o'clock on the lower veranda beneath the bar area. The tables are set with white linen and silver and each has a candle. There is a small three piece musical group nightly and dancing is appropriate if you so desire it. The five course meal was excellent that evening, as we fortuitously had happened to arrive on lobster night. That meal was exquisite and the food was very good to excellent at all meals the entire week.

The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast within feet of the sea and shortly thereafter found our rightful place in the sand under an almond tree. The beach was clean and the water warm and shallow. It was great for swimming and there was plenty of room for everyone without crowding. There are showers at several locations along the beach but surprisingly no rest rooms. At 10:30 the bar staff begin to make their way down the beach with a complimentary rum punch or fruit juice. What's not to love about that? We spent most of our week there under the almond tree.

We hated for it to end. We left the property only once, to dine at Evitas, which we enjoyed thoroughly. (Be warned that taxis are somewhat expensive.) TJI is quite a special place, not perfect by any means, and certainly not glitzy or spacious. If you're into lots of daytime activities, go elsewhere. If you want to curl up under a palapa hut and read a best selling novel, you're on the money. Food and drink are rather expensive and could mount up quickly because something about Jamaica makes you want rum on a frequent basis. I would highly recommend considering an all inclusive plan. If you wanted to scrimp or if you do not drink, you could probably do so, but that's not what TJI is all about. Its about a small beautiful place that's not overcrowded. Its about personalized service, high quality and innovative cuisine and happy people who live on a beautiful part of the planet. I miss it already.

• Liked — Small and Intimate
  • Disliked — The rooms are a little dated
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Salt Water Diva
United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2007

What a contrast and what a place. My new wife and I planned this trip in May 2007, having decided on the Jamaica Inn as a peaceful and quite getaway not only for a holiday, but to get married, and to have a honeymoon all in one.
Upon arrival in a puring rain and after a long trip it was not at it's best and our initial recation was not a good one and we were both a bit disappointed, how wrong could we be. Our disappointment lasted for just one hour as the tranquility and Jamaica Inn experence kicked in.
The room overlooking the sea was sapciaous and comfortbale and we soon adjusted to our surroundings. Without exception the staff were courteous, friendly, without being overbearing. Our days involved lying on the beach morning cocktails started with a complimentary Planter's Punch, lunch at the beach bar, more sunbathing, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and then dinner. What else could we possibly need.
Our wedding was laid back but organised effieciently with a guest volunteering the use of the White Suite for the ceremony as the rain came at just the wrong time, but the setting turned out to be perfect. We opted to stay in one of the cottages for two days and these were superb despite at this time of year mosquitoes, so be warned.
The only disater to befall us was me losing my new wedding ring in the sea so if you happen to go the Jamaica Inn, and snorkling and you see a man's wedding ring, Please hand it into reception, a reward will be paid for anyone who finds it.
I cannot praise the hotel highly enough. if you like peace and quiet, excellent service, great staff, good food, then this is the place to go. We are already planning our return trip.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank charlie47
Orange County, California
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Jamaica Inn for our honeymoon the week before it was closed for remodeling. Our room was a beach front verandah and it was amazing... the last day of our stay only 6 couples were left at Jamaica Inn.

I booked the Honeymoon package directly with Jamaica Inn. If you read the package information, you will notice that it offers complimentary tennis and complimentary DAILY Planters Punch on beach. Well... during our stay at the Inn, my husband asked the receptionist for more information regarding the complimentary tennis. The receptionist had no idea that tennis was complimentary, we asked to talk to a supervisor, a man approched us and told us that we had to pay to go play tennis at the Royal Plantation and that we also had to buy our own equipment. The last day of our stay I checked our invoice and I noticed that we had been charged for a $65.00 wine bottle that we never ordered and also for our "complimentary Planters Punch on the beach". The receptionist deleted the $65.00 wine bottle charge after the second time that I spoke to her and I had to show her the package list so that she could also delete the other charges.

My husband and I were in a very tight budget and in our Honeymoon package the tax and service were included. We noticed that since we didn't tip at times or we only tipped a few dollars, we didn't receive the service that we deserved. At times we felt that we were being ignored by the old employees. I have read all the wonderful comments about the old employees at Jamaica Inn but in my experience, I noticed that the young employees for example, Johnson and Garfield went out of their ways to provide excellent service.

This is just my review, if you read this while planning your trip to Jamaica Inn, please do not be discouraged. Jamaica Inn is beautiful, the beach is the best and bigger than any of the other resorts. I can't wait to go back.

If you purchase a package, make sure you print it out and just provide it to the receptionist so that there is no confusion.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — The lack of communication between the reservation sales and the receptionist.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank luzielu9
Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My husband and I have been going to the Jamaica Inn for about 15 years--(since our late 20's). It is a wonderful, peaceful and relaxing get away. If you are looking for your own quiet slice of pampered heaven--here it is. If you want structured activities and nightlife-go elsewhere. For us, the Inn is sheer perfection. All the wonderful things you already have read about this Inn are true and the photographs are just as it really looks. It is spectacular--unpretentious and simply classic elegance. The food is marvelous, the staff magnificent. A little bit of magic happens every day at the Jamaica Inn. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Spectacular beach, food, views & staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing other than I'm not living there 24/7!
6 Thank Cricket12
London
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I will risk repeating all the positive things everyone else has written about Jamaica Inn - but it is such a peaceful, relaxing place full of staff who can't do enough for you that it's worth the duplication.

Having just spent 12 days there with my partner, I can confirm that it is a beautiful place and would suit both those anti-social beings like ourselves, who just wanted peace and privacy, and those who welcome greater interaction.

We had a Premier Verandah suite on the beach - which had more than enough space and was spotless. The food is lovely - we were on a room only basis but still eat the vast majority of meals at the hotel.

A special mention must go to the ladies at the spa - the most welcoming, giggly and lovely people I met in Jamaica!

12 Thank HRM30
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Jamaica Inn from Monday, October 1 to Saturday, October 6 for our honeymoon. Everything you read in the reviews is true - Jamaica Inn is nearly perfect. However, instead of repeating all the great reviews, I wanted to share more practical info that I wanted to know before booking.

The Room: We booked the cheapest room which is the balcony suite. However, we were upgraded to the premier verandah suite (room #7) because the resort was not full. The verandah is as large as the actual room! It was big enough for a couch, two chairs, a coffee table, a desk and a small table and chairs for eating. I was worried about not having a TV in the room, but we didn't miss it at all. We spent most of our time on the verandah playing cards, eating and reading. There is a TV room with cable, but we never used it. We were able to look into an empty balcony suite, and although it is fine, I would suggest either booking a room with a verandah or booking the balcony suite during the off season and hope you're upgraded!

Choosing the All-Inclusive Option or Not: We decided to go with the all inclusive plan and are very glad we did. Breakfast and lunch prices range anywere from $5 - $25. Dinner is $70.00 per person every night, although it is possible to order less than five courses and be charged less. Also, the all inclusive plan includes dinner at two restaurants in Ochos Rios. We were afraid to leave the resort because we loved the food so much, but we made ourselves leave to go to Passage to India which was great. We never made it to Evita's, our other option. I guess if you don't plan to drink at all, then it may be cheaper to pay for meals individually, but it was nice to not have to worry about it and order and drink whatever we wanted.

The crowd: I noticed some reviews that said guests are stuffy or a lot older. I am 26, and my husband is 27, and we never felt out of place or uncomfortable. In fact, we met a nice couple our age that was honeymooning as well. Hi Lee and Jen! Some reviewers may think the guests are stuffy because while everyone is friendly, most are looking to relax or have a romantic getaway and not party or necessarily meet new people.

The beach: When we first arrived, I thought the beach seemed a little small. Then we took a boat ride with Tony (the resort's boat guy) and saw the Sandals and Royal Plantation beaches. Jamaica Inn has the best beach by far. The others are smaller and not as well maintained. Also, those resorts have more rooms which makes those beaches seem even smaller. We paid Tony $100 to take us to Dunn's River Falls (great experience) and snorkeling. It was just my husband and I on the boat, but we passed other resort boats packed with people waiting to snorkel. However, the snorkeling at Jamaica Inn is in our opinion better than the spot that Tony took us, so I would suggest having him take you to Dunn's River only.

Spa Treatments: The spa was temporarily closed for renovations, so they came to our room for a couples massage. It was $186 with tax plus we tipped them, but it was worth it!

Tipping: It's included so it is not necessary, but we did tip Tony, our driver to and from the airport and to the restaurant, and the spa staff. Also, as we were leaving we left envelopes at the front desk with a few extra dollars for some the staff that went out of their way.

Please feel free to send me a message if you want to ask questions!

• Liked — food, service, atmosphere, beach
14 Thank KCbeachbum
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!