“Intimate”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Orange County, California
“Intimate”
Reviewed November 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Jamaica Inn for our honeymoon the week before it was closed for remodeling. Our room was a beach front verandah and it was amazing... the last day of our stay only 6 couples were left at Jamaica Inn.

I booked the Honeymoon package directly with Jamaica Inn. If you read the package information, you will notice that it offers complimentary tennis and complimentary DAILY Planters Punch on beach. Well... during our stay at the Inn, my husband asked the receptionist for more information regarding the complimentary tennis. The receptionist had no idea that tennis was complimentary, we asked to talk to a supervisor, a man approched us and told us that we had to pay to go play tennis at the Royal Plantation and that we also had to buy our own equipment. The last day of our stay I checked our invoice and I noticed that we had been charged for a $65.00 wine bottle that we never ordered and also for our "complimentary Planters Punch on the beach". The receptionist deleted the $65.00 wine bottle charge after the second time that I spoke to her and I had to show her the package list so that she could also delete the other charges.

My husband and I were in a very tight budget and in our Honeymoon package the tax and service were included. We noticed that since we didn't tip at times or we only tipped a few dollars, we didn't receive the service that we deserved. At times we felt that we were being ignored by the old employees. I have read all the wonderful comments about the old employees at Jamaica Inn but in my experience, I noticed that the young employees for example, Johnson and Garfield went out of their ways to provide excellent service.

This is just my review, if you read this while planning your trip to Jamaica Inn, please do not be discouraged. Jamaica Inn is beautiful, the beach is the best and bigger than any of the other resorts. I can't wait to go back.

If you purchase a package, make sure you print it out and just provide it to the receptionist so that there is no confusion.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — The lack of communication between the reservation sales and the receptionist.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
9 Thank luzielu9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
Florida
Reviewed November 11, 2007

My husband and I have been going to the Jamaica Inn for about 15 years--(since our late 20's). It is a wonderful, peaceful and relaxing get away. If you are looking for your own quiet slice of pampered heaven--here it is. If you want structured activities and nightlife-go elsewhere. For us, the Inn is sheer perfection. All the wonderful things you already have read about this Inn are true and the photographs are just as it really looks. It is spectacular--unpretentious and simply classic elegance. The food is marvelous, the staff magnificent. A little bit of magic happens every day at the Jamaica Inn. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — Spectacular beach, food, views & staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing other than I'm not living there 24/7!
6 Thank Cricket12
London
Reviewed October 16, 2007

I will risk repeating all the positive things everyone else has written about Jamaica Inn - but it is such a peaceful, relaxing place full of staff who can't do enough for you that it's worth the duplication.

Having just spent 12 days there with my partner, I can confirm that it is a beautiful place and would suit both those anti-social beings like ourselves, who just wanted peace and privacy, and those who welcome greater interaction.

We had a Premier Verandah suite on the beach - which had more than enough space and was spotless. The food is lovely - we were on a room only basis but still eat the vast majority of meals at the hotel.

A special mention must go to the ladies at the spa - the most welcoming, giggly and lovely people I met in Jamaica!

12 Thank HRM30
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Jamaica Inn from Monday, October 1 to Saturday, October 6 for our honeymoon. Everything you read in the reviews is true - Jamaica Inn is nearly perfect. However, instead of repeating all the great reviews, I wanted to share more practical info that I wanted to know before booking.

The Room: We booked the cheapest room which is the balcony suite. However, we were upgraded to the premier verandah suite (room #7) because the resort was not full. The verandah is as large as the actual room! It was big enough for a couch, two chairs, a coffee table, a desk and a small table and chairs for eating. I was worried about not having a TV in the room, but we didn't miss it at all. We spent most of our time on the verandah playing cards, eating and reading. There is a TV room with cable, but we never used it. We were able to look into an empty balcony suite, and although it is fine, I would suggest either booking a room with a verandah or booking the balcony suite during the off season and hope you're upgraded!

Choosing the All-Inclusive Option or Not: We decided to go with the all inclusive plan and are very glad we did. Breakfast and lunch prices range anywere from $5 - $25. Dinner is $70.00 per person every night, although it is possible to order less than five courses and be charged less. Also, the all inclusive plan includes dinner at two restaurants in Ochos Rios. We were afraid to leave the resort because we loved the food so much, but we made ourselves leave to go to Passage to India which was great. We never made it to Evita's, our other option. I guess if you don't plan to drink at all, then it may be cheaper to pay for meals individually, but it was nice to not have to worry about it and order and drink whatever we wanted.

The crowd: I noticed some reviews that said guests are stuffy or a lot older. I am 26, and my husband is 27, and we never felt out of place or uncomfortable. In fact, we met a nice couple our age that was honeymooning as well. Hi Lee and Jen! Some reviewers may think the guests are stuffy because while everyone is friendly, most are looking to relax or have a romantic getaway and not party or necessarily meet new people.

The beach: When we first arrived, I thought the beach seemed a little small. Then we took a boat ride with Tony (the resort's boat guy) and saw the Sandals and Royal Plantation beaches. Jamaica Inn has the best beach by far. The others are smaller and not as well maintained. Also, those resorts have more rooms which makes those beaches seem even smaller. We paid Tony $100 to take us to Dunn's River Falls (great experience) and snorkeling. It was just my husband and I on the boat, but we passed other resort boats packed with people waiting to snorkel. However, the snorkeling at Jamaica Inn is in our opinion better than the spot that Tony took us, so I would suggest having him take you to Dunn's River only.

Spa Treatments: The spa was temporarily closed for renovations, so they came to our room for a couples massage. It was $186 with tax plus we tipped them, but it was worth it!

Tipping: It's included so it is not necessary, but we did tip Tony, our driver to and from the airport and to the restaurant, and the spa staff. Also, as we were leaving we left envelopes at the front desk with a few extra dollars for some the staff that went out of their way.

Please feel free to send me a message if you want to ask questions!

• Liked — food, service, atmosphere, beach
14 Thank KCbeachbum
London
Reviewed August 14, 2007

We were travelling to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and wanted a week somewhere quiet without our kids. The Jamaica Inn was nothing but fantastic. The service was friendly without being intrusive, The restaurant was excellent either eating under the stars or enjoying the privacy of eating on our beach front verandah. My only complaint is having got home none of my trousers seem to fit anymore, as we enjoyed the food morning, noon and night! The menu offered great variety with both Jamaican and international dishes available. Our room was very comfortable and well appointed. We opted for a beach front verandah suite, which was well worth the money. We literally stepped off the verandah onto a beautifully-kept private sandy beach, with the waves lapping no more than 30 yards further on. We also managed to take a peak at one of the private cottages. If I could afford it, I would book it without hesitation. We used the spa one day, which was at the standard you would expect for this kind of hotel. I would recommend contacting Tony a local fisherman, linked to the hotel for an early morning trip in his out board motor boat to catch tuna and jack fish which the restaurant will happily cook for your lunch. We stayed on an all-inclusive basis, which we found very good value; speaking to other guests that had not taken this option, they also thought it was in hindsight the better way to stay. I have never bothered to write one of these reviews before, but was so impressed I felt compelled to share it.

• Liked — Privacy, excellent, friendly service and great food
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank gluke
new york
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Recently returned from Jamaica Inn, my 8th stay at this hotel...as the Jamaican Tourist Board says..."once you go, you know." While this type of hotel is not for those looking for non-stop noise or action, it is for people who just want to check in and check out. The beach is outstanding, I have traveled all over the world and seen some really extroadinary beaches, however this ranks among the top. It is quiet and beautiful; at times you feel you are the only person there. Bring a book and an ipod and you are set. One minor issue, the lack of floats!!! Typically there are enough for all the guests...on this last trip, guests were fighting over 5 rafts...not good!

The staff at this hotel is another reason for its high quality...Richard, Patrice & Marie are particurlarly attentive. The hotel recently lost its long time Beach Man Arthur and quite frankly, with Arthur's passing the beach has lost a bit of it's mystique.

There are also some really good restaurants in the area, Evita's and Passage to India are great and offer an alternative to staying at the hotel...Evita's will send a car to pick you up, ask as the front desk and they will call the restaurant for you...no charge, but we do tip the driver Douggie a few $$ for the ride.

One last tip...Laughing Waters...skip Dunn's River and head to this beautiful, inviting and empty (NO TOURISTS!!!) waterfall that feeds down into the sea. Go by boat...great ride and worth the time to get there. Whilst we were there a few horses showed up to drink from the falls...it was surreal. Some nice local people hanging on the beach, bring a few $$ to buy some jewelry if you want or to tip the Rasta man who helps you get in and out of the raging pools...didn't feel pressured, but felt good about giving it.

Overall, I would encourage people who want to just relax to seriously consider this hotel. It is truly my favorite place to go...and I can't wait until November!

• Liked — Clean and Quiet
  • Disliked — Bathrooms could use an update in the Deluxe category
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
10 Thank loriz1
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 13, 2007

My companion and I visited the Jamaica Inn three weeks ago. When our plane landed and we passed through Immigration, we were met in front of the airport by a local person who asked where we were staying. When I told him the Jamaica Inn he knew our names and told us our driver was outside waiting for us. Our bags were loaded quickly, and our driver Brian took off for Ocho Rios! He had a cooler in the car with an option of water, soda or Red Stripe. We chose the Red Stripe. My companion had forgotton to get his swim trunks in our hurry to leave, so Brian stopped at a place in town, on the way to the hotel, so he could buy some. I had forgotten sunglasses, so I was able to get those at our stop as well.

We were greeted at the hotel with a cheerful staff who brought Planters Punch to our room and later that night a bottle of wine.

Our room was a Premeir Veranda Suite. Our Veranda went out into the Carribean. It was small reef and in the morings we could feed our leftover breads to the coral reef life that lived there. It was quite lovely.

Our service was impecable. The management staff was extremely accommadating. The trip was fantastic, and the food was delightful.

Please visit the Jamaica Inn, I do not think you will be disappointed!

• Liked — The accommodations, the food, the drinks, the service
  • Disliked — There was nothing I liked least.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Oracabessa
Half Moon
Half Moon
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Jamaica Inn? Share your experiences!