“Know Jamaica Tours”
Review of Know Jamaica Tours

Know Jamaica Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Know Jamaica Tours: we are the best transportation /tour guide provider throughout the entire island of Jamaica, there are others around no doubt, however if you really want the best where you are guaranteed value for your dollar don't hesitate to look Us up! Yah Mon we operate from all resorts throughout Jamaica and from all cruise ship ports. Booking with us is easy as 1, 2, 3!!
Ohio
“Know Jamaica Tours”
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I had friendly and prompt service from a very knowledgable and fun group called KnowJamaica.com. They got me the information I needed as I had specific needs during my short trip, they showed me the island and its many attractions, even gave me the ins and outs of several resorts for future travel.

Marva and her team made my trip better than I expected. They really gave me first class service for a reasonable price.

Billie

Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Call Know Jamaica Tours-Don't even bother to research the competition!”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I am very hard to please, but Marva and her son Javia far exceeded my expectations. Our family of 7 (6 males-1 female) was definitely a challenge for them. But Javia handled our group perfectly! The Chukka Zip Line experience was exhausting and challenging but totally awesome. It was so worth the $$ compared to the other "zip line" experience offered by the cruise ship. The lunch at Lobster Dave's was incredible! The guys have not quit talking about the lobsters! Everywhere we went we now have a "interesting or funny" story to go with it thanks to Javia! These are NICE people who really listen to what you want and MAKE it happen!

53 Dutches Street Bashment Roosevelt
“Marvia Shaw' s son Javia Shaw was cute and sweet”
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My girlfriends and I plan our vacation to jamaica, and we met up with two wonderful people. A mother and son, we took a liking to the son quikly . He was a wonderful tour guide , he took us to beautiful beaches, amazing parties and we ate delicious food.The place that we love the best was Dunn's River Falls. At first the water was cold, but after climbing the falls one time it was an experience will never forget. He taught us how to do the jamaican dances, we also met a Jamaician artist name Busy Signal . Jamaica was an excellent chioce and our next trip will be with knowjamaica. thank you so much Mariva and Javia Shawfor the time of our life. Feel free to view there website www.knowjamaica.com.

Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We had a marvelous day with Marva Shaw! (Dunn's River Falls, White River tubing, Reggae Beach)”
Reviewed October 23, 2009

We sailed on the Carnival Freedom the week of Oct 6, 2009, and did the Dunns River/White River tubing/Reggae Beach tour on Oct 8 with Marva Shaw and it was a fabulous experience!

Time is not a worry. Marva takes care of you and understands the importance of getting you back to the ship on time.

Good for us, but bad for Marva: we were the only 2 people on this tour that day!!! I met so many people on the ship who didn't have plans for Jamaica, weren't sure what to do, etc, it seems sad that they missed out on this fabulous tour. It was a bonus for us because we got to call the shots. I only regret that I didn't do more research ahead of time so I would have known what to ask for.

Marva had other people booked that day for a different tour. That group was going to spend the day with Marva's son as their guide. Please, please, please: If you are going to be late, send a member of your party out to inform the tour operator. Marva waited around for quite a while, wondering if the other people from the ship would show. Reluctantly, after a half hour wait, she decided to leave without them. We were a few blocks from the port when she got a call that they had finally arrived. We had to turn around and go back for them. It was frustrating to waste our time this way. Please be considerate of the tour operators and other tourists.

Because of pictures I'd seen, I was under the mistaken belief that the falls are just a few feet up. Not true. We hiked up 650 feet in about 40 minutes. It's a long hike --- not tiring, but worth the trip because it's NOT just a short hike. It's an experience and the falls are magnificent! You start out at the bottom, where the falls empty in to the ocean. What a beautiful sight! Hiking DRF is a wonderful experience, one of the best things I've ever done. I recommend it highly. There is very good reason that so many people visit this spot. My one regret is that we didn't hike it more slowly to savor the beauty.

I didn't want to go up the falls on our own. (Thanks to Marva's son, we learned that going on your own IS an option. That may not be obvious to you because the path leads you to the pavilion where the guides are waiting.)

We also did not want to go up in a group of 20.

When we got to the pavilion where all the guides were waiting, DH asked if we could hire a guide for just the 2 of us. (They usually go out with groups of 20.) They would not quote a price, just told DH that he looked like a "decent man", so we offered $20, and they accepted. That was a great decision!

The guide held my hand and was very aware of me --- any time I faltered even slightly, he gripped on to me and made sure I was OK. DH followed behind us. Whenever we got behind a big group, our guide took us up around them. He took pics of us in particularly spectacular places. (It was nice because we didn't have to wait for everyone in the group of 20 to get their picture done.) Tip: DH & I each carried our own waterproof camera, so we could easily take pics of each other.

Thanks to a tip from Marva, we knew just what to do when we got done hiking the falls IF we wanted to avoid the craft market:. exit via the entrance. They will strongly direct you towards the craft market at the exit, but from what I've heard, it's a pretty disconcerting experience for Americans who are not accustomed to the in-your-face style of that market. Even though they'll try to redirect you, just walk with purpose directly out the same way that you came in, and you won't need to experience the craft market --- you'll go directly back to the parking lot. (We actually met people who enjoyed the falls, but disliked walking through the market so much that it soured the whole experience for them.)

Marva took us to a small craft market. The vendors were very nice, NOT PUSHY at all, and gave us excellent prices. (We were able to confirm this later in the day when we went shopping at the port.) Marva realizes that pushy vendors = uncomfortable tourists. Therefore, she took us to a place that was much more comfortable.

Next we went tubing on the White River. It was just DH, the guide, and me. It was a very pleasant experience. It took about 40 minutes to complete the ride, including a stop at a bend in the river where we could play in the water (complete with a rope and a swing dangling over the river), shop for some crafts, or have a drink.

Next we went to Reggae Beach. It's small but very nice, with crafts, and a restaurant. We had spent the previous day in the ocean at Grand Cayman so we asked Marva to take us back to the ship early. She was very concerned that we didn't like the beach, and offered to take us elsewhere, but we finally managed to convince her that everything was wonderful! It was! We were just ready to get back and get dry.

Marva is very sweet, very knowledgeable, very caring. While waiting for the other tourists from the ship, we had a nice long chat with her son, and he seemed like a wonderful guy. I recommend Marva and this tour very highly.

2 Thank ecease
Fonthill, Ontario
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Jamaica with Marva ... you can't go wrong”
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We just returned from an awesome cruise that had Ocho Rios as a port of call. We booked with Marva about a month before after reading many positive reviews on various cruise sites as well as on tripadvisor. Marva was a pleasure to deal with right from the first email I sent. She promptly answered any questions I had and was very accommodating to our tour requests. We agreed upon a price before hand and did not have to pay any deposit up front. She met us at the pier about an hour after we docked. Her clean, air conditioned van transported a group of us to Dunn's River Falls. She gave us tips about the guides that would take us up the Falls and also told us how to avoid the pushy locals at the craft market. She paid for our admissions into the Falls and told us that she would be waiting in the parking lot when we were done. After climbing the falls we returned to the van and then our group was separated into 2 ... some had chosen to do the river tubing, etc while we had decided to eat lunch at "the Ruins" restaurant. She took us to the restaurant, paid for the meal and then left us her business card so we could call her when we were done. After that she asked us where we would like do some shopping and drove us to a shopping mall where she waited in the parking lot until we were done. Finally she dropped us off at another mall of shops that was within walking distance to the pier and we said our goodbyes. I can't say enough good things about Marva. If you want a hassle-free visit to Jamaica book Marva. Her prices are reasonable and you feel "safe" at all times when in her company. No worries at all!

1 Thank cindy l