“Shopping”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Shopping”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The market area has lots of options for buying gifts and nick-nacks but the locals can be pretty aggressive with the selling techniques. Some of them basically put stuff in your hand without you even asking to see it. Bargaining is not only acceptable but completely expected. Usually they'll take less than half of whatever the asking price is. If they say $50 then it's probably worth $15 to $20.

Visited October 2013

• Hungarian first
Ontario, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Go here is you want to be scammed and harrassed. AVOID!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We stopped here to grab some fresh local fruit and browse. We were standing there when an agressive man cuts the top off some sort of a melon, puts a straw in it and hands it to my husband while insisting he drink it. As soon as he did it was $5. The man was scary and not wanting to argue we handed him a $10 but of course he did not have change. So what ever they hand you do NOT take it. Better yet don't go. As soon as they sense tourist the price triples and you safety is not worth an 'supposed' savings over buying on resort. These scammers (I refuse to call them vendors) should be ashamed of themselves. I would always go to the shop where I felt I could browse in peace and here there simply wasn't one. As for the melon man - shame on you - I hope others do not think you are representative of the real Jamaica because that would be unfortunate. Go elsewhere!!!!

1 Thank HeartMexico
Carlisle
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Is this really the Jamaican way”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Even though we were warned about the market by reps and the taxi driver we went to the market and it was even worse than we imagined. As soon as we entered the market we were hassled from every corner we got out and spent the rest of the afternoon in a bar it put us off shopping in Jamaica until we got to the airport.

Walton, Kentucky, United States
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Just not fond of Ocho Rios”
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Immediately outside the cruise pier you are bombarded or as one passenger put it "accosted" by locals wanted to braid your hair or sell you dope and they get angry when you say no thanks.
The shopping center where Margaritaville is is nearly vacant and the whole Ocho Rios area seems really rundown. We didn't feel safe. I we took another cruise that featured Jamaica we would probably stay on the ship. The one plus was we got some awesome hot sauces for our son.

1 Thank Sherri582
Leduc, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It made me uneasy”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

There were a few people there that treated us respectfully and we took the time to browse their items, but most of them were very loud and in-your-face trying to "make the sale". What I found bizarre is that they all claim they have the most unique things, but about 95% of them were selling all the same items. We only seen a few that had original and very beautiful items.
On a side note, there were a group of young males drinking and tried to grab one of my friends and push her into their market stall - we now understand why they said to stay in a group and not wander off by yourself. I wouldn't go back. I preferred the gated shopping area across the road.

Visited January 2013