“Good but not best”

Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good but not best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

This market is nice since there is security (I never once felt like I was unsafe in Jamaica) if that is a concern. You can haggle here but most stores have the same things as our resort but just a little cheaper. If you want a true experiance go off the resorts.....away from tour bus stops.....and Got to Scocthies for some real jerk chicken and do some craft's markets or local vendors for the best and most authentic take home gifts and such.

2 Thank Beau G

Blackfalds
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Same as resort shopping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

The shopping here had all the same things as our resort's shopping center, with all the same prices. The resort shops will also bargain with you so we would not feel a reason to need to go back to this shopping center.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“crazy market”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

the craft market is made up of tiny cupboard like spaces. The vendors had flashlights to let you see their wares. They can be quite agressive in their trying to get you to come and look at their goods. I was constantly asked if I wanted my hair braided and when I refused the women became quite vocal. There is a sign saying no braiders allowed but it does not seem to help.

1 Thank LindaD2
Toronto, Canada
“Interesting day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

It was great getting of the resort and going into Ocho Rios. The market area was great shopping and the locals were friendly and nice.

Novi, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“You must be comfortable saying "No"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

The larger market was a little overwhelming for me, I did walk through but found I was more comfortable with the much smaller market across the street. The vendors there have all of the same items that are found in the larger markets, but the vendors were a little more laid back. The "hassling" is just part of the deal for the markets, it's how they make their money and really sales people in all countries are annoying and in your face (just in a different way). If you don't have a back bone or have a hard time saying no, this is definitely not for you. It was a very interesting experience and will make for good stories at least :)

They key is not to make up an excuse, they will find a solution for any fake reason you give them for not purchasing something. I went with the honest approach - if I didn't want anything, I simply said no thank you. That was the fastest way to get them to move on to the next person.

There was a lack of diversity between most of the booths. We tried to find people who had crafted their items by hand, which was easy since they were usually working on something when we approached. (They almost always were the ones who had the most unique items to sell.)

I never once felt threatened or unsafe, the vendors are a little pushy and in your face - but they aren't scary or dangerous, just overwhelming. There were always officers around the street outside the market to make sure we were okay and weren't being harassed. Make sure not to lose sight of your belongings and be aware of your surroundings - which you should do anytime you are in a foreign place that you aren't familiar with.

We were offered weed or cocaine while walking around, but once again these people weren't scary or frightening - we said no thank you and they left us alone. You have to remember that there are plenty of people who probably travel to Jamaica to experience those things so they are going to offer it - and if it bothers you, you probably should have done a little more research on Jamaica before traveling there.

4 Thank Stacey D