“Cool Local place with amazing, inexpensive jerk”
Review of Scotchie's

Scotchie's
Ranked #3 of 112 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Thornton, CO
“Cool Local place with amazing, inexpensive jerk”
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Like the other reviews state, Scotchie's is a must do. Food is great, cheap (dinner for two with drinks ran us $14), and a cool atmosphere. They do take credit cards, but I'd go with cash to be safe.
You order at a window first, then move down and get your food wrapped in foil. Paper plates and plasticware are used as you sit at picnic-type tables outside. Orders are chicken, pork, sausage, and maybe another served in 1/4, 1/2, and full. My wife and I each had 1/4 with an order of festival and yams. I love jerk chicken and this didn't disappoint. Don't pass up the festival anytime you can get it either.
What also makes Scotchie's is the intimate local atmosphere especially at night. We were invited to eat with a local couple which was really nice. He warned me about the hot sauce and showed me how much to try without burning my taste buds.
And yes, the friendly beggar dog was still there. She's a sweetheart.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Allentown, PA
“Nice place, where the locals eat”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Authentic food, great outdoor setting. Outdoor grill. Self service but clean and the people are very friendly. Our tour guide took us and it was some of the best food we had the entire week we were in Jamaica.

New York
“Yum Yum Scotchies!”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Full disclosure: this is the only jerk we had on the trip. It was wonderful. I preferred the chicken and my husband preferred the pork. We did not try the sausages but people were raving about them. Festival (fried bread!) was awesome. The other sides -- yam, sweet potato -- we thought were just okay. All washed down with two Red Stripes and we were good to go. We were at the location by the Riu and it is really cute. Outdoor casual and you can eat in these little gazebo things. Hearty lunch for two for about $16-$18.

Albuquerque, NM
“So. Much. Deliciousness.”
Reviewed August 24, 2010

A couple of friends in our group had visited here a few days before we were having our "outing" day and were telling us up and down about how great this place was. Last time I was in Jamaica (Negril) we tried a local place for Jerk and it was great. Naturally, my husband and I were down for trying this place out. The day we left our resort to visit Coyaba, we stopped and had lunch here first. It was port day so it was a bit crowded. SO worth the wait.
We got the chicken, festival and sweet potato. Not only was that jerk incredibly hot and delicious, the chicken wasn't dry. It was cooked perfectly. It's funny, they give you this pretty small cup to put your sauce... I was thinking "that's all huh?" Um, yeah, it's all you need to make everything just right.
My brother got the sausage and my in-laws got the pork, so I tried those as well. I have to say I didn't taste anything bad. It was all great. Plus the way it's cooked is just so cool to watch (see my pictures). It's inspired us to attempt a Jamaican-style grill at home. I have to try something that good again.
The place is really beautiful. We went when it was raining so it wasn't hot. There was this dog hanging around the property begging for food. Yeah, we fed her. She was adorable. I'd have taken her home if I could. It just helped make the experience.
If you get the chance to visit Scotchie's, do yourself a favor and make your way over there. Just enjoy the jerk in moderation if you aren't used to spicy foods. They don't put it on the food so you can judge for yourself. Enjoy!!

“Scotchie's is the place to go in Ocho rios”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

stayed at a resort went to Scotchies one day for lunch, there was a huge line of locals waiting which is a good sign, the prices are in Jamaican but 2 people can eat for about 15 bucks and that included 2 beers. The Jerk chicken and pork is cooked on the wood of the trees that were cut for the grill, they use tin roofs to cover the meat which looks super unsanitary but the taste is there. Make sure to try the festivals which taste like a corn dog without the hotdog part..mmmm, the sauce is hot make sure to dip rather then pour