“Authentic Jamaican Cuisine”

Ranked #27 of 115 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed at the Hibscus Lodge Hotel for 3 days and ate in the restaurant several times.
The food was consistently good but unfortunately the waiting staff lacked the necessary customer service skills.
The waiters were somewhat withdrawn and appeared unwilling/unable to hold a conversation with diners.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Just came home from supper at the Almond Tree. Rating the food...definitely in my top 3 favourites for Ocho Rios restaurants. The appetizer, shrimp in a yummy coconut sauce was so good my friend and I decided absolutely no sharing that one...next time we would each have our own! I had the bbq chicken (with mango chutney at my request). I cannot even say how wonderful it was, I have not ever tasted anything quite like it, sooooooooooo good!! Baby baked potatoes were a perfect side. My friend had the grilled shrimp and loved it as well. Cheesecake with a cup of coffee for dessert. The cheesecake was baked and good! The coffee was the best I have had in Jamaica so far. I will go back to the Almond Tree before long.

Now for a bit of a downer...our server was not great. He was adequate except that he didn't ask us how our meals were or if we wanted dessert and he walked away from us when we were talking to him BUT the real downer for me was that it seemed that he did not approve of two women having supper out alone, without male companions. I say this because he was talkative with the other tables he was serving, all of which had men at them. This makes me sad and I really hope that the next time I go there, it will be acceptable for me to ask for a different server if I get him again. I am optimistic about this because upon entering the restaurant, we were met by a very personable and cool dude who chatted with us before showing us to our table.

Oh yeah, we were seated on the top level right at the edge of the cliff, so to speak, overlooking the sea. It was spectacular.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Good food, wonderful service, great view & atmosphere! We would definitely go back... Our friends that spend the winters in Ochie say the breakfasts are great.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

The view is to die for..Sit on the upper deck...Best view in Ocho Rios..Excellent staff, very clean..Prices are affordable. Very secure, large parking lot. Great bar..This is the only bar with swings, Great Idea and really fun.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Mrs Too and I had lunch at the Almond Tree, and while there was nothing negative or unpleasant about the experience, we certainly do not consider the meal memorable. Perhaps Caribean cuisine is simply too foreign for a North American, but we have had a series of so-so experiences in Lucaya-Freeport, Port of Spain, and Oranjestadt. The service was pleasant enough, the surroundings (the Hibiscus Lodge Resort) breathtaking and the views out over the reef spectacular. As I say, there was nothing awful about the food, it just tasted sort of blah to us. On the other hand, excepting Evita's, I do not know of any other restaurant that I could recomment in lieu of the Almond Tree.