“It was ok”

Evita's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 112 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Cuisines: Italian, Jamaican, Fusion
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Set in an authentic 1860 Historic Gingerbread House, overlooking Ocho Rios, Evita's opened in 1989 and has established a reputation for great service, ambiance, decor, view and excellent Italian and Jam-Italian 'fun' creations. All food is cooked to order. Celebrities keep frequenting Evita's as they really enjoy it's romantic atmosphere and, also appreciate, 'value for money'....Occasionally there is live entertainment, usually, a 'guest star' appearance.
Jamaica
“It was ok”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I went to evitas for lnch, I honestly did not want to do dinner there after having been to Toscanini. I think you pay for the view, rather than the food. I dined outside, the view was good in the afternoon. The food looked like something I cooked, & I cannot cook, so you should get the picture. I read in several reviews that they got orders mixed up, & they sure did for me. I had the suprema, which according to their menu is scallops, mussels,baby shrimps and lobster tail. First of all those are not baby shrimps. They shrimps looks like the ones in ramen noodles. I had to search my plate for them. There was ONE mussel, so idk why they said MUSSELS. And only 2 scallops. lol. they do give you the whole box of pasta though. lol. My bf and I had one drink each, and our meals, tip included in the bill was $6500 JMD. I gave them $7000 JMD and they honestly refused to bring my change back. I had to ask for it when I was leaving. Oh and their silverware. SMH at those chips and what not. I'd rather pay the $16000 jmd I paid at Toscanini. Its worth it and then some. Evita's is just OK.

• Visited December 2013
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for your review, ShaniBear.
I am really sorry that you were not happy at Evita’s, I can only attribute this to the old Adage : ‘Different Strokes for Different Folks’ as the ‘Suprema’ dish is one of the most popular and ‘raved’ about dishes we have, especially for Taste and Value.
I really do not understand your comment on the silverware we have on our tables, as it is the expensive King’s pattern, imported from England, rarely seen in Jamaica’s restaurants buy only in upscale hotels and, it does NOT 'chip'…
Re: waiting for your change, I remember seeing you waiting at the bar and following this up personally: your waiter and the cashier-bartender were busy with another order and you looked quite uneasy.
I am glad that you decided to quote the price difference between Evita’s and Toscanini for your meal of two: Ja $ 6.500.00 (US $ 61.00) at Evita’s and Ja$ 16,000.00 (US $ 151.00) at Toscanini ….
With a difference of US $ 90.00, I would certainly forgive Evita’s for one or two missing (or absorbed in the sauce) Scallops or Mussells … and, the Baby Shrimp being Baby Shrimp and not large ones, as you might have wanted….
Ciao! Eva

Toronto, Canada
“Best little pasta house, mamma's style”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went there twice and the food was excellence both times, Evita is a gracious host.
The food is a well done fusion of Italian and Jamaican, delicious! The kids also loved it.
The ambiance is great and so is the view. We loved it so much we spend New Years at the restaurant.
I highly recommend Evita's to everyone when in Ocho.
Evita, thank you for the hospitality and the dance, Philip.

• Visited January 2014
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you, Phillip, for your compliments and review.
I am glad you and your family enjoyed the restaurant and the food and I do remember well your beautiful children … especially since they became my ‘helpers’ distributing the New Year’s party favors, before the ‘countdown’ and the party began!
Now, Phillip, after admiring how well you danced with your wife and daughter, how could I have refused a dance with you? Thank YOU.
Ciao! Eva
Chalk River, Canada
“The best in Italian Food”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Great authentic Italian food, good price. Good location but you should take a cab. We paid $15 for a cab and he waited almost 2 hrs for us.

Visited December 2013
Thank you very much for your review and, your advice about the taxi.
We do, however, offer free transportation (and return) from most hotels in Ocho Rios, as long as this is requested when the reservation is made.
Ciao!
Eva
Calgary, Canada
“Great Location, Terrible Service”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Thought this would make a great dinner for our anniversary. They took our order after half an hour. The staff seemed very unfriendly. After another hour after ordering waiter came to tell us that they do not have our order (meaning the kitchen hadn't even started on our order even after another hour). Finally we got our food after changing our original order, only to find an underwhelming meal and not even with a decent presentation.

All in all, terrible service, botched up orders, unfriendly staff. Along with being overpriced. The only good thing was the location and the ambiance, but wouldn't justify the service for the price they charge.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank hasaang
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am really so sorry that your evening, especially being your Anniversary, went so wrong!
This is really not the ‘norm’ for Evita’s and I immediately ‘charged’ into the kitchen reminding the cooks about the procedure in reading and presenting the orders, so that you incident will not happen again.
Re: the service being so slow, there was an evening that we experienced MANY more people than expected, therefore, there was a shortage of staff and I guess, for some patrons, the wait was really too long….
I do not know how I can make up for this, to you, now, but I wish I would have known a little earlier, while you were still in Jamaica…
Ciao!
Eva
St. Ann's Bay, Jamaica
“Tax and service not advertised.”
Reviewed December 19, 2013

We dined there on a special Valentines menu. Food, service was very good.
Unfortunately we were left with a very bad taste in our mouth. . Included in the set menu was a glass of champagne. We were served something very sweet and unpalatable. We did not drink it. The waiter asked us why we had not ordered champagne. He took away our glasses of grape juice and served us 2 glasses of champagne. The owner saw the 2 glasses of grape juice on the bar and started making a fuss about who had mistakenly served them. We were sitting right there and she was making a fuss and scolding the staff in front of us. We felt very bad and embarrassed for them.
The staff was the nicest part of our evening.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Sheba043
Evitas, Owner at Evita's Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Thank you for your review, Miss Sheba.
I looked at my Special Valentines Menu of Feb. 2013 and it did NOT include complimentary Champagne but a pint of Rum Cream per couple with Tax & Gratuities included, in the special price
Feb. 2012, one year and 10 months ago, we featured a free glass of Champagne.
The Menu clearly indicated this so, I am really sorry that you were served some sort of juice and, champagne, only after a waiter suggested this ….
Sometimes, especially at Valentines, when we are always VERY busy, temporary help is called in and, since they are so eager to wait on tables to earn tips, they leave the tasks they are assigned to and could be the cause of the ‘mishaps’ you now remember and decide to publish.
Too bad you did not bring this to my attention, at the time, especially re: your concern “tax and service not advertised”, because this was clearly indicated, on the Menu, to be included in the price!
Hoping that I will see you at the restaurant again, to clarify-rectify whatever happened, I wish you and your family, very Happy Holidays!
Ciao, Eva