“Delightful and delicious”

Toscanini Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 114 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are an authentic Italian restaurant located just outside the resort town of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The property is an original plantation house that also houses an art gallery featuring famous local works of art.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This place is delicious! My husband and I went for dinner and loved the food. Everything was incredibly fresh and made largely from local ingredients. It was such a nice change of pace from all of the jerk chicken and festival we've been enjoying, and it had plenty of vegetarian options, which was wonderful as my husband is vegetarian. We ordered a locally grown salad, pasta, duck and bread pudding and everything was delicious. We also loved the fresh focaccia and garlic herb butter.

Not only was the food delicious, but the atmosphere was so welcoming. The owner, Leila, greeted us as we entered and described every dish on the menu with detail. She also stopped by throughout the evening to give us a history of the building and the restaurant. She also gave us suggestions on sites to visit nearby, and recommended a driver for us who we used to go to the airport. Such a wonderful woman and great restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Toscanini Restaurant

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Hands down, this is the best restaurant we found in Ocho Rios! I love healthy and not over-cooked, I love natural flavors and garden-fresh (and not smothered in cheese or sauce), and this is the place for that. With the cuisine and the stone walls, I felt like I was in Tuscany! Lella, the beautiful Italian chef/manager warmly greeted us, pulled up a chair and sat down with us. She gave us the interesting history of the charming stone & wood building we were sitting in, brought us fresh allspice leaves to smell, and told us about the day's menu. We mentioned that our visit to Jamaica was in celebration of my mother, Margaret's, 90th birthday. We had a light lunch of spectacular salads, though the main courses looked divine as well. My salad included arugula, shaved fennel, mint, tomatoes & grilled shrimp--bellisimo! But we did save room for dessert, and when my mother's ice cream covered in chocolate arrived, Lella sprinkled her head with a cascade of little flowers and we all broke out into a chorus of 'Happy Birthday'. Written in chocolate on the rim of her plate was "Happy Birthday Margaret...One Love". It was unexpected--and perfect. So were my crepes stuffed with Jamaican blackberry compote...OMG. We simply didn't find anywhere else that came close to the food, ambience or service. We meant to get back again for dinner, but somehow the week was over before we knew it and so was any opportunity to go. From the heart of Ocho Rios, it was a $40.00 taxi ride (for 4 of us), but since the Harmony Hall Art Gallery is located upstairs, you can do that as well as we did, and get more for your transportation buck. If you value wholesome Italian country dining with excellent food, don't miss this one.

1  Thank Gretchen R
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had dinner twice at this restaurant during my vacation.
A lovely experience, attentive service and excellent food. The owners and chef dedicate time to the customers in describing the menu in detail before they order, and the food is lovely prepared and decorated. The pastas are hand made and cooked as you wish (al dente!) and the seafood is great, a true Italian experience

Reviewed June 15, 2013

During our recent trip to Jamaica, our resort recommended Toscanini to us for a dinner away. We grabbed a cab and arrived within minutes. We were greeted outside by Lella who welcomed us warmly and escorted our party of 4 to a perfect spot. The ambiance of this old plantation home only added to the charm. Lella entertained us with brief history stories throughout out the night as well as my inquiry on what brought her to Jamaica. She walked us through each offering on their quaint chalkboard menu and helped each of us to decide on the perfect entree as well as appetizers. The service was efficient and courteous. The appetizers were a perfect intro to our fabulous meals. They were delicious and prepared just as described. Portions were large and left no room for dessert! Prices were very reasonable especially considering the quality and freshness of the food. Pimento was used from the grounds of the plantation and other produce were purchased locally and fresh. We are new fans of this jewel and will return on our next trip to Jamaica. You are missing out if you don't stop here!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Dinner for 2 was fairly expensive but was fairly good. When I complained about portion, they were eager to provide a bit more. They were also willing to custom order at a small fee. Will go again.