“Definitely "off the beaten path" - AMAZING!”
Review of Barrett Adventures

Barrett Adventures
Ranked #14 of 113 Tours in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Barrett Adventures is a company with more than 20 years of experience in showing our guests the real Jamaica. We specialize in doing excursions that either are done in ways to maximize your enjoyment of familiar attractions by doing them at times when we don't have to share them with the crowds, or offering tours to places that are truly 'Off the beaten path.'Our drivers are unsurpassed in their knowledge of our culture and our history. You will never find one of us at a loss for words when you ask a question.
Reviewed January 23, 2011

If you don't want to be one of those 100's of tourists climbing Dunn's River Falls, Barrett is for you!
We did 2 tours with then while in Jamaica in Jamuary 2011!

Tour 1 - Snorkeling with the Manatees! This is a once in a lifetime experience - truly!! Picked up (on time) from our hotel in Montego Bay, and saw most of southwestern Jamaica! The drive to the Manatee spot is long, but well worth it! We took a boat along a beautiful river, and got in the water and snorkled right with these amazing creatures in the wild (see pics).
SHOUT OUT TO Carolyn & Shawn (our guide and driver) for the treats along the way - especially the chocolate, and fresh grapefruits - picked right rom the tree)!

Tour 2 - A combo of YS Falls, Ziplining, Black River Safari Cruise, and Glistening Waters (Luminous Lagoon). Picked up (on time) from hotel in M.B., and arrived early at YS Falls. Ziplining was 1st, followed by a guide through the falls (with some amazing pictures), a jump off the swinging rope, and then off to Black River. We were running late, so we picked up lunch on the way, and headed down the river... saw 4 or 5 crocs in the wild, and then a few at a rescue shelter after. In the evening we went to Glistening Waters restaraunt (good food), and then on the boat to see the Lumnious Lagoon. This was like northern lights on the water, a truly unique adventure!
SHOUT OUT AGAIN to Shawn and Carolyn for an awesome time!

1  Thank Eyeluv2Travel

Reviewed January 12, 2011

My wife and I were on a cruise and only in Montego Bay for the day. I was admittedly a little apprehensive about venturing into Montego Bay. I had spoken with other guests on the ship who told me to that crime and drugs had plagued the country for years and that we needed to be careful. We even made copies of our drivers license and left the originals on the ship. All that said, we had already book a whitewater rafting tour through another company and decided to cross our fingers and stick to our plans.

When we arrived at the tour desk at the port, the manager made a quick call for us and within minutes Chester was there to introduce himself and take us to his waiting van. Chester, who offers tours independently, also contracts with Barrett Adventures, who provides transportation for the rafting company that we had booked through.

It became quickly apparent that we had NOTHING to worry about as long as we were in Chester's care. Before becoming a tour guide, Chester was the manager for a security company for many years and is the picture of responsibility and safety. After dropping us off at our tour Chester assured us he would be waiting for us at the conclusion, adding, "Anything you leave in this van will be exactly as you left it... you do not need to worry about a thing." And he was right.... we had no problems and Chester was there waiting at the end of our tour.

After the tour Chester took us to an authentic jerk chicken stand for lunch. During lunch someone in our group ordered a beer for Chester, who was waiting for us in the van. He was polite and thanked us for the beer... only later did he somewhat apologetically admit that he had given it to someone else afterwards because he does not drink AT ALL when he is driving guests. I thought that was very impressive.

After lunch all of the other guests were ready to go back to the port but my wife and I were really enjoying our time with Chester. We asked if he would be willing to just drive us around the area for another hour before the ship left and he was more than willing. He took us on a great tour of the city, explaining the history of the people as well as pointing out current points of interest. We made one last stop at little store for a few last gifts before returning to the ship. "You are my friends now and I want you to come back and visit me again", Chester said as we were leaving. I can assure you that we will.

Once last note... while riding with Chester, my wife found a digital camera lodged between the seats... Chester was SO relieved when she told him. Apparently some previous guests had lost the camera and Chester had spent a long time combing the van for it without any luck. The next day he was actually going to drive an hour back to there excursion spot to see if he could find it there. While we were eating lunch he contacted the camera owner to let them know he would mail the camera to them... you don't see that kind of service very often. I highly suggest contacting Chester directly at chestertours@yahoo.com if you have plans to visit Montego Bay. Also, feel free to message me with any questions.

2  Thank Harris103
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We toured to Carolyn's Secret Falls and White River tubing and enjoyed both stops. However, the exceptional part of the day was our driver, Loxley.

We were picked up promptly at our resort by a well dressed gentleman in a new, comfortable car. Loxley treated us as if he were our personal chauffeur, not simply a driver, for the day. En route from Montego Bay to our destination, he stopped in at a few points of interest and cut off the main road to show us some sights along the way.

He was full of information about the country, the customs and the things we passed by. We had all sorts of questions for him and he was very pleasant to talk to and knowledgeable about all that we asked him.

After our tour, he made some suggestions for lunch of typical Jamaican food. However, we had passed a KFC en route and our boys were happy to have some "regular' food for a change, so he was more than happy to take us there for lunch.

At all our stops, he escorted us to where we needed to be, looked after our stuff and stayed with the car and then was there to collect us at the end.

He was a safe and courteous driver and gave us a wonderful tour of Jamaica. The cost of our day was no more than if we had booked a bus tour and we got a personalized day for the four of us.

Reviewed January 4, 2011

I first visited Jamaica 5 years ago as an adventure for my daughter's 21st birthday. I found a cheap flight and then set about looking for accommodation. It was there that I found Carolyn. We established email contact and discussed what we wanted from the holiday. We chose to stay at Horizon in Bluefields, Westmoreland, which Carolyn was managing. This accommodation consists of the big house, and two beach cottages, private beach, kayaks, snorkelling equipment and your very own coral reef.

Carolyn met us at the the airport and drove us the Horizon, stopping at the Supermarket on the way so that we could pick up supplies. We also stopped and bought fruit from the roadside. Carolyn took us on the trips we had arranged: Ocho Rios, to swim with the dolphins, YS Falls, Ricks at Negril and the Pelican Bar. Sam will always remember exactly where she was on her 21st and I fell in love with Jamaica.

Since that first visit I have been back many times. It's a good idea to do your homework beforehand and decide where you would like to visit. With Carolyn and her tour guides this is a very personal experience, they will take you on your adventure and you can feel safe and secure with them plus have all your questions answered.

I have visited Milk River Spa Baths and been swimming in Milk River. Black River boat trip and swimming with the crocs. Searching for Manatees in Alligator Hole River, Rocklands Bird sanctuary (feed the hummingbirds), Lovers Leap, Alligator Pond, Santa Cruz and Bamboo Avenue. Taino Trek, Pelican Bar, Treasure Beach. Still much more to see and do.

To sum up then, Carolyn can not only provide daily tours for Cruise Ship visitors, but can also arrange a wonderful stay in the Real Jamaica and take you wherever you would like to go. She makes everyone feel special and will go out of her way to ensure that you can include anything you wish into your visit. 'We had a wonderful birthday meal, finishing off witha surprise chocolate birthday cake'. If you would like to be a part of the true Jamaica then Carolyn's your Lady.

1  Thank TARGLincs_UK
Reviewed December 26, 2010

We used Barrett adventures to book a tour to Mayfield Falls and it was absolutely fantastic!!!! Our driver was Chester and he was wonderful. He was very patient when we took forever shopping and knew just where to take us to get good deals. Our guide at the falls was Lester and I would definately make sure you ask for him. They both were great about explaining their culture and answering all the questions that we asked them. Lester took our camera and made sure to document the whole adventure for us and just let us enjoy. It definately is not a hot tourist spot there was only 4 other people there when we went and it is quite a long and bumpy ride from Montego Bay but well worth it. Most of the Jamaicans we asked about this place had never even heard of it. We will definatley use Barrett Adventures to take care of all our trips outside the resort on our next trip. Chester even came back and got us the next day and took us to the airport.

2  Thank gcary