“Made our whole vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Barrett Adventures

Barrett Adventures
Ranked #13 of 107 Tours in Montego Bay
More attraction details
Owner description: Barrett Adventures is a company with more than 20 years of experience in showing our guests the real Jamaica. We specialize in doing excursions that either are done in ways to maximize your enjoyment of familiar attractions by doing them at times when we don't have to share them with the crowds, or offering tours to places that are truly 'Off the beaten path.'Our drivers are unsurpassed in their knowledge of our culture and our history. You will never find one of us at a loss for words when you ask a question.
Dubuque, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Made our whole vacation!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We did the tubing waterfall private excursion and let me tell you it was perfect! Our guide Shawn was as professional and nice a person as one could be. He went out of his way all day to do whatever he could to make it a day to remember. Carolyn was very helpful as well as I was sick the day of our tour and was expecting to get charged for not being able to make it. Instead she said rest up, hope you feel better and lets try it tomorrow. There is not a single tour company in Jamaica that even comes close to these people. My only advice to you is to use them the first day your there. That way you'll be sure to book all your other days through them! Thanks again guys!

Visited September 2012
1 Thank Matt S

Williamsburg, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Take one of these tours!”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My family and I had a stop in Ocho Rios on a recent cruise. We wanted something “off the beaten path” and found Barrett Adventures. After emails back and forth with Carolyn Barrett, we decided on the Secret Falls Tour.

Mr. Loxley picked us up at the port and popped us into his SUV (private tour). We drove down the coast and Mr. Loxley kept us engaged with stories of his country and culture. It was all super interesting and he was so passionate. We took some turns off the main drag and would our way up a mountain to a clearing. He walked us down a short path to meet Kevin, our Secret Falls guide, who took us on a wild adventure!

He took us to a gorgeous lagoon with a small waterfall. We dove right in, swimming under the falls, climbing back out and doing it all over and over again. Then Kevin took us, barefoot and in our bathing suits, on a hike further up the mountain to another fall, which was much larger. He talked us into walking down the falls and jumping into the lagoon below. You have to have some courage for this, but Kevin is so cool and confident that you can’t help but grab his hand and go for it! We swam under that fall into a little cave-like area and Kevin pointed to a tunnel above us. And up my hubby went, crawling through the tunnel, out the other side of the fall. We all followed. It was just the coolest afternoon! Thanks Kevin!

We met back up with Mr. Loxley who took us to the river rafting place and got us our own private float down the river. It was very nice and relaxing after all of the hard-core adventure with Kevin. On the way home we stopped for a bite to eat, again, getting first class treatment.

Mr. Loxley told us about another tour they offer-a day sailing and snorkeling with him as the Captain. He said that next time we come to Jamaica we should take the tour - all day on the water and lobster on the beach to top it all off. Any day spent with Mr. Loxley is going to be a good day. Next time we are in Jamaica the first thing we’ll do is contact Carolyn and book a sailing day with Mr. Loxely!

Thanks Carolyn, Mr. Loxley and Kevin for an unforgettable day!

1 Thank Anjeannette
Nemo, SD
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Silly cruise passengers”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband I and booked through Barrett Adventures while visting Jamaica on our first cruise. I was tempted to play it safe and book through our cruise line, but after reading all these excellent reviews I decided to be adventurous. We passed the hordes of other passengers being herded into large buses and found our driver Shawn waiting for us. Shawn was informative and personable while still allowing my husband and me to enjoy our private tour to Mayfield Falls. Jamaica is a beautiful country and we were able to see it through different eyes on our tour. We felt completely safe and well cared for. Our favorite part of our tour and Jamaica...the people.

2 Thank AmyDL
Jersey City, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Carolyn is the best!”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

7 of us went to the YS Falls and Floyds Pelican Bar with Carolyn and it was an experience of a lifetime. One of the most amazing parts was the ride to and fro from the places. I would dare to say that she is the most educated person about the island in the whole Caribbean. It was an experience in itself to just listen to her give a history and flora of the towns we were traveling through. Everyone knew her and we were able to stay at both destinations for as long as we wanted. She also did all the excursions with us and often first to get us comfortable. It was a real treat to have someone with such knowledge and vigorous lust for life to share our special trip with. Can not wait to go back and do the sailing trip with her!

3 Thank desireejeannette
Saint Louis, Missouri
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Worth every penny & so much fun!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed at a large family resort in Montego Bay in July with our 15-year old daughter, and we did no pre-planning for this vacation other than choosing the resort. I really wasn't in the mood to do much touristy stuff, but my husband and daughter were quickly bored after our second day. Our hotel tour desk was not terribly helpful and all of the tours they offered were the large group tours which we absolutely despise.

I turned to trusty TA and found Barrett Adventures. We wanted to snorkel but we didn't want a booze cruise on a catamaran with 50 other people. We are big fans of paying a little extra for small group tours. I sent off an email and received a swift response from Carolyn. I called her cell phone number and we were able to arrange for a private snorkeling tour the very next day! Locksley picked us up at our hotel and drove us to the marina where their boat is docked. There was no one else but us on the trip. This is their business model, and it is awesome. You basically tell them what you want to do and they will try to accomodate you. We snorkeled on the reef just at the end of the runway by the airport. The boat was very nice and once we anchored at the snorkeling spot, Carolyn came into the water with us and showed us around. She also brought up a sea urchin and we each held it. Once she pointed out where to go to see the best fish etc, she headed back to the boat and told us to come back whenever we were done. When we were done, not after 20 minutes when she blew the whistle or when she was ready to leave. We could have stayed out for 30 minutes or 3 hours as far as she was concerned. This is how flexible the snorkeling tour is. I would estimate that we were in the water for at least 1 1/2 hours. The reef is so interesting and there are plenty of small tropical fish. We didn't see any large fish, but we saw two gorgeous eagle rays. And then there was the novelty of the jets coming in directly over your head. We got some cool video of it with our waterproof video camera. Once we were back on the boat, we just hung out and chatted. They had beer, soda and water for us and we probably spent about another hour just relaxing. For the price ($70/person I think), it was amazing. It was only slightly more expensive to take a private charter cruise than to get on one of the big group tours where you end up kicking each other in the water because there are so many people looking at the same fish. We were so happy with that tour that we asked Carolyn what we could do the next day. Despite having no other shoes than flip flops (this will become important later), we decided to try the Secret Falls & Tubing Tour.

Again, Locksley picked us up and we had a completely private tour. We drove for about an hour while he told us a lot of history and we stopped at a couple of scenic overlooks. One of them was Columbus Park where he handed us off to a tour guide. It was a little awkward because it was obvious that we were going to have to tip this guy, and we had really only brought enough cash for the tips we had planned for. I would have appreciated a heads up on that one just so that we could have planned accordingly. It was very interesting, and we got some great pictures.

The secret falls & tubing are located in Ocho Rios so you are going to have a lot of drive time if you're staying in Montego Bay. Once we got to the secret falls, Locksley handed us over to Kevin who guided us through the craziest experience we've ever had. We jumped off of waterfalls into unknown waters. We did things every mother on earth has warned you against doing. It was so beautiful and there were no other tourists in sight. There were only a couple of young boys playing in the water and they were very encouraging as they shouted to us not to be afraid and just jump! Kevin then took us on hike through the rain forest (for lack of a better description) and this is where the appropriate footwear becomes an issue. You need it. It hurts if you don't have it. I would highly recommend having Teva sandals or water shoes for this tour. We did it barefoot, and it hurt like heck. The hike itself I would categorize as moderate. We are pretty athletic and do a lot of hiking so it was no big deal for us, but there are steep climbs and a lot of uneven ground to get through. The end prize is walking down a waterfall....I am so not kidding. Kevin will lead you by the hand down the majority of the way and will then tell you to run and jump. I won't tell you what expletives I used when I questioned his sanity on my turn, and he asked if I wanted him to go with me. I did so we literally ran down a waterfall and jumped into the pool. CRAZY. We also swam under the waterfall into the cave. It was just unbelievable. My daughter and I just kept looking at each other and laughing because you would never be able to do any of this kind of stuff in the U.S.

After that little adrenalin rush, Locksley picked us up and took us to the river tubing. It was supposed to be very relaxing with very little work, but our guide popped his tube about 5 minutes into the trip. He then had to swim or run along the shoreline the rest of the trip! Again, we just laughed the whole way down the river.

Overall, both of our experiences with Barrett Adventures were terrific. We loved the fact that we were the only people on the tours so we went at our own pace and were able to make our own decisions without having to worry about anyone else. Highly recommend!

Visited July 2012