“Relaxing and wonderful views”

Polkerris Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 39 Montego Bay B&B and Inns
Jamaica
“Relaxing and wonderful views”
Reviewed November 15, 2009

I have stayed at polkerris 3 times times now. I cannot believe that I have not found this bed and breakfast before since I live in Kingston. My daughter and I do business in the Montego Bay and Negril area and now we stay at Polkarris when we need to stay overnight. What a find I just cannot believe my luck. You feel right at home. The breakfast in the Mornings is fabulous and you have it on a verandah with the most fabulous view of the ocean. The food by they way is cooked at the famous "Pelican Grill" restaurant that the owners of Polkerris own. So those fabulous Jamaican breakfast's and freshly squeezed fruit juice and a large fruit plate. What more can anyone wish for.
This is where its at for me in Montego Bay. If you do not have a car you can just walk down the road and in 5 minutes your at doctors cave Beach and on the hip strip.
If you want to rest you can stay by the pool which is lovely and get your sun there.
The Pelican Grill by the way has been a restaurant in Jamaica since I first came to Jamaica in 1976 from England. It looks exactly the same ,the standards are the same the food is excellent and the best value for money there is.
I would like to say thank you to Jeremy and Clariss for always making us feel so at home. This is Jamaican hospitality at its best.
Dulcia and Rebecca
Kingston
Jamaica

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Dulcia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
San Francisco
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Polkerris is the by far the best place to stay in Montego Bay. I read the reviews before booking our reservations and, I have to admit, I was a bit nervous. I mean, seriously, how can one place have the most amazing reviews?!? There's always at least ONE whiner out there that hates everything, so it seems unbelievable that one place could be so well loved by everyone. Well, I am so glad I took the chance! We stayed there for ten days and we can definitely say that this place is WONDERFUL!

My husband and I went to Jamaica for our honeymoon. We decided against the all-inclusive resorts because we'd heard that the food there was terrible. We are from San Francisco and are definitely foodies and decided that staying at a B&B gave us the option to eat anywhere we wanted. It was the best decision. Not only were we able to sample all of the restaurants in Mo-bay, but we had the most amazing breakfasts at Polkerris every morning! We couldn't believe how wonderful the food was and the selection (new choices everyday) was marvelous!! Every morning we started off with a fresh plate of local fruit and coffee (or tea). We had everything from fish escovitch to french toast (both are amazing). My husband loved the brown stewed chicken and we both loved the ackee and salt fish. We are adventurous eaters, but there were plenty of "normal" American type breakfasts as well, which were also very, very tasty.

Not only was the food amazing, but the B&B itself is so beautiful and well maintained! They have beautiful trees and gardens as well as hanging orchids and potted plants everywhere. The pool was crystal clear and just steps from our room. The owners, Mr. and Mrs. Bennett were just wonderful and friendly people. Mrs. Bennett greeted us every morning and even helped us get a wonderful driver (Mr. Dixon) to take us to Negril and Dun's River Falls. We really felt like we were visiting our family in Jamaica.

This place was everything we wanted. It is close to the beach (Dr's Cave is down the hill and a short 5 minute walk down the street). It is clean clean clean! I am not sure how Ms. Clover was able to clean up all that sand everyday, but it was gone! The rooms are air conditioned (not all B&B's have AC). It's very close to bars, shops and restaurants. It's like they thought of everything... there are little things in your room that aren't necessary, but make your trip so much better: fresh flowers in your room, fresh ice everyday, a mini-fridge, fresh beach towels. And the views are SPECTACULAR! I cannot express how amazing it was and the pictures cannot really show it, but if you choose this place for your stay, the views will NOT disappoint. Oh, and for those of you who don't like a lot of noise, this place is magic. It is so close to everything, yet far enough away that you don't hear the loud music and obnoxious drunk people down on the strip.

My husband and I love Montego Bay. We will be back and we will stay at Polkerris. We aren't usually the types to stay at the same place twice (we like to try out new places), but Polkerris is so amazing and the Bennetts are so wonderful there's no reason for us to want anything more.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelLvrs
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2009

This is the place to go and relax. Fantastic view over Montego Bay, super pool, wonderful breakfasts. Value for the dollar is awesome. Clarissa and Jeremy and staff will treat you like one of there own, very approachable and courtious. You couldn't help but unwind and relax, would love to return and stay for longer than 4 days. Thanks again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weemanont
Charsn
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We stayed at Vista de la Bahia (Pokerris' partner property across the street) for three nights this past spring. The property was wonderful. Our room had gorgeous views across the bay. The location is also great, right off of the hip strip and close to restaurants and the beach. The breakfasts that they served were amazing--try the french toast! Elaine was a wonderful hostess, and always happy to answer our questions and offer suggestions. Her husband, Peter, was also fabulous and even drove us to the airport in time to catch our early morning flight. Overall a great place at a wonderful value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charsn
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed July 2, 2009

We stayed at Vista de la Bahia, across the street from the Polkerris. Mr. Scudamore sent a driver to pick us up at the airport [about 5 mins away] and met us at the door when we arrived.

This is a beautiful property, right on the Hip-Strip with a spectacular view. We were able to come and go as we pleased. The rooms were large and comfortable with a safe and a small fridge. The grounds are well-kept. At this property, there is a very long staircase at the side of the property that takes you down to the street [not for those who are physically challenged]. We had two rooms next to each other at the top of the stairs [I had my 14 year old] both had TVs. There is also wireless access [you need to get the password from Peter].

Breakfast was plentiful [Jamaican or american] with juice, coffee, tea and water. The Jamaican ackee and saltfish was excellent [but then I am biased]. My partner had omlettes, pancakes, scrambled eggs, bacon [different days!] which was also excellent.

All in all, a great place, quiet, clean, comfortable. The power did go off two nights [less than 10 mins each time]. There is air conditioning in the rooms but not in the hallways - no big deal. Both Elaine and Peter were excellent hosts. They arranged transport for us to and from the airport [$15]. Best place to eat on the Strip was their property, the Pelican which caters for jamaican and american tastes.

I would recommend to all who are tired of the huge, loud, expensive hotel atmosphere and it was much cheaper than trying to get a 1 bedroom suite at a hotel so that my son could be close by.

Loved it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MaxineS1017
Phoenix
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We have read all of the great reviews of Polkerris and were a little skeptical of how one place could be so great, especially a B&B. Well it is, let me tell you. Jeremy and Clarissa are the owners of the B&B and they welcome you as if you were their own family and friends and that is no exaggeration. Clarissa greeted us at the door with one of their staff to help us with our bags. She showed us around the complex and our room. The room had a king bed that was very comfortable, a mini fridge in the closet that was helpful, and the room has a good view. The views from their second story lounge deck were nice, the entire Bay to watch over. Pool was refreshing and scenic with lots of gorgeous flowers in the area .The morning breakfast was wonderful, served with local fresh fruits and we had our choice of a traditional Jamaican or American breakfast. We tried both and were very pleased.
Just a 2 minute walk down the hill is the Hip Strip. Plenty of shopping and some great beaches are also within walking distance. Go to the Twisted Kilt Lounge for a perfect cozy beach with great drinks. If you plan on needing transportation we would highly recommend Devon (aka Flattop[----] for any kind of transportation needs. We went to Scotchie's one night for dinner (highly recommend for amazing jerk chicken, chicken sausage and pork) and walked away with lunch for the next day.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 24, 2009

our short stay (one night to accommodate a busy travel schedule the next day), means that we didn't get a full sense of Polkerris as we may have liked, but here's my take... we’d come in from Negril where we were married (at tensing pen) and spent time before that in clarendon at his family’s house, we’d done the back country and the high-end boutique, so polkerris was somewhere’s in the middle (closer to the high end boutique without the price tag I’d say :) )

Booking

they were extremely responsive to requests for info and bookings over email (response within the hour typically, sometimes in minutes) and eventually took a one night's deposit (for a one nights stay) so essentially we were fully paid on arrival.. made it very easy to say the least…

Arrival..

Finding it isn't hard, getting to it is... located directly behind the hip strip (turn right after coral cliffs up the road that leads to the shared parking for a few of those more busier spots), it’s good for a short stretch, but deteriorates quickly… rather steep too… . it's a mess really, so as great as the location is for proximity to stuff, it's somewhat hard to get to and this would, for us, be a detriment to a stay longer than a couple days (we like to be out and about and my other half didn't care for that stretch of drive much)... probably the only real negative about the place... this obviously wouldn’t interfere with the average, non-driving visitor…

Jeremy and Clarissa were there to meet us (along with ppl i suspect may have been their children if they were married, dunno lol).. they were finishing up a meal (was about 4pm, so a late lunch or early dinner? ).. they were very polite and friendly, but we'd had a long and rain logged trip from negril (took more than 2.5 hours), so we were a bit tired and hungry and had to use facilities... we were not feeling overly social i guess... so they sensed this and let us get to our rooms quickly

they gave us the keys, no formal paperwork or anything else to sign or discuss, just let us know where we should move the car once we got the luggage out (we did this ourselves, not sure if they have someone on staff who could have handled it? i needed stuff out so i just asked the other half to run for them)..

The Property

we initially went to the wrong house, and were sent to the other one across the street... both properties are lovely, i believe polkerris is the only one with the pool, maybe wrong there, but that’s the one we booked…both properties grounds are very well kept with a few fruit trees and lovely gardens, the houses itself looked new, at polkerris, the pool looked lovely although rain kept me from enjoying... behind the pool near the hill side, is a lovely (man made) waterfall (which would could hear in the room and kept thinking rain was falling (sometimes it was)... wifi is available and worked well in our room and the common areas… we’d spent the earlier part of our vacation completely unconnected, so this was actually a treat… although next time I will use it to check flight times as I was an hour early and my other half’s flight was delayed by nearly 6 hours (he was flying out of Kingston, which meant he dropped me off and ran, we could have had more time to sulk in our goodbyes lol)

Room

we were situated in the room directly in front of the pool nearest to the fountain... rooms were simple, very clean and tastefully decorated, no complaints... ample towels provided.. a battery powered lantern for power failures, well functioning air conditioner.... good sized TV inside a large wardrobe, telephone... very soft and comfy queen bed.. i sunk in and didn't want to get out! A few lamps and standard things…

Breakfast

I was asked the afternoon before what sort of breakfast we’d like in the morning (included with the very reasonably priced room)… I asked for the options but after the first one (Jamaican breakfast) I stopped them… if it’s a proper Jamaican breakfast, we’ll have that (I’m told that I am a brave wife and it’s a big decision to make so early in our marriage hehehe :) So I say I’m confident that if they have all the proper fixins it’s the right one)… they did, I think it was at this point that won over my other half, he was well rested and very hungry… they started with a lovely fruit plate, juice and water accompanied… then came the main show, ackee saltfish (flavour not dumbed down at all), fried bammy (he’d be happier with boiled, but he ate it with not a complaint), boil green bananas, yam and breadfruit… very good and very filling…. He was ready to come back again as breakfast was being served :)

Clarissa came around and spoke with us during breakfast, she was on her way somewhere and said her goodbyes (both us and another couple who were staying in the house were leaving that day)… I hadn’t gotten much time to really chat with her but a hug seemed in order as she wished us both a happy marriage (we were married a couple days earlier in Negril) and safe flights…

Checkout.

Once we were ready, we handed the key to the helper and said farewell, as simple and easy as the checkin, no real formalities here, I guess because we were paid in advance… I’m sure if you have a longer stay there may be a bill to settle up…. Drive to the airport was uneventful and our good bye was quick to accommodate what I thought was a tight timeline but needn’t have been so… ah well

Going off Property

As we were only there 1 night we didn’t spend too much time off property, but we did drive down to the pelican (I think that’s what it’s called lol) for dinner, we debated the menu for longer than usual and ended up ordering soups, oxtail to split, and milkshakes… soups were good and spicy (red bean), oxtail was good and plentiful, and milkshakes were great and also plentiful (you get enough for 2 or 3 glasses, that alone filled me up)…. The prices were on the higher side, but in line with the location I guess, and the portion sizes were beyond generous… we walked the strip a bit shopping for silly souvenirs (something I usually don’t do but had made a couple little people some big promises lol)… everything was very quiet (Wednesday night) it was really my first stay in this area, with past time in montego bay spent away from the hip strip, so I was expecting a bit more action/activity I guess.. I should note that there was absolutely no issues with hip strip noise at polkerris, not sure if there would be, it’s proximity to the strip would suggest that it might, but I think it’s just enough removed… the other house in the back might be a bit noisier? It was actually the most silent place I’ve stayed in Jamaica, could barely hear the crickets!

Overall

From reading reviews Polkerris seems to be a place that has captured people’s hearts… we didn’t quite get long enough of a stay to get there, but we’d def be back whenever we need accommodations in mobay.. it’s a lovely place, run by sincere and lovely people who genuinely care about their guests… they can’t help the bad road getting in there which was the hardest part for us to deal with… I think next time we’ll park the car and walk to the hip strip if we need to go… (apparently there’s an easy access stairway to take you there)… I apologize for the lack of photos, I did mean to take some, but never got around to it… I’ll have to remember to fix that as I’m sure we will come back! :)

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chell00